Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Travel guitars?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Travel guitars?

Old 02-11-21, 07:55 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Be happy you don't play double bass...
Old 02-11-21, 08:46 PM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
... capos can be hard to find in some parts of the world.
If you've got a toothbrush (or pencil, chop stick, etc.) and a rubber band, you've got a capo no matter where you go.

Likes For JW in AK:
Old 02-12-21, 01:35 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by JW in AK
If you've got a toothbrush (or pencil, chop stick, etc.) and a rubber band, you've got a capo no matter where you go.
Awesome!! 🙌
Old 02-12-21, 11:34 AM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
I pulled the trigger on the Journey Overhead CF guitar, the nylon string version (this one). The body is small (same size as my parlor guitar) and the neck comes off easily to make acompact package. Carbon fiber cares nothing about heat or humidity and little about vibration and shock (I would like to see what Pete Townsend could do to a CF guitar).

It plays well, with a neck a little narrower and action a little lower than my wood classical guitar. Maybe a little string buzz, but that may be my technique. Sound is okay for a small body, but kind of thin. One surprise, not mentioned in various online reviews, is that it is very NOT loud. I would expect that the steel string version would be better for group sing-alongs.

The bag that comes with it is optimized for air travel (and well thought-out for that purpose) but is rather bulky, with lots of padding and outside pockets. I think it is the same bag they supply with their wood guitars, but I don't think the CF guitar needs that much padding and I don't need the outside pockets. So I am considering other options for bagging the guitar. The longest part of the disassembled guitar is the neck which is just about the same length as my tent, and I hope I can come up with a packing solution that allows them to coexist on top of the rack. I will report back.

Thanks for the discussion and good information.
Old 02-12-21, 12:45 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Sluggo
Sound is okay for a small body, but kind of thin. One surprise, not mentioned in various online reviews, is that it is very NOT loud. I would expect that the steel string version would be better for group sing-alongs.
Perhaps sub-optimum for group sing-alongs but just the ticket for crowded campgrounds.
Old 02-13-21, 06:42 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Originally Posted by Sluggo
I pulled the trigger on the Journey Overhead CF guitar, the nylon string version...

and I hope I can come up with a packing solution that allows them to coexist on top of the rack.
Cool! I would love to see pics of how you end up carrying it. Do you have a pannier (Backroller) to see if it would fit in one? My Yamaha 3/4 nylon just fits in one in a thin gig bag (sticking up of course) but is horribly unprotected if the bike falls to that side.
Old 02-14-21, 04:53 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
... So I tried to get an idea of how the folding guitar would pack on the bike.

As I noted before, the bag that comes with it is somewhat bulky, but maybe viable. The bag and guitar total about 8 1/2 pounds (3.9 kg).

However, the guitar will fit in a much smaller bag. This is a duffle I use as a carry on. If it were a little larger, the neck could sit next to the body rather than on top, so the package would not be as tall. A plain fabric duffel would be about a kilo lighter than the manufacturer's bag.

Tent on top.

Tent in front.
Likes For Sluggo:
Old 02-14-21, 10:18 PM
imi
aka Timi

Great pics. Thanks Sluggo 👍
Old 01-25-22, 06:07 AM
RihanaB
Banned.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Steinberger GTPROBK1 works fine for me. This article has reviews on it. Love the reaction in the airport to what appears to be a rifle case. Don’t travel as much now that I’m retired. Used to travel extensively when I was working. COVID stopped it last year, but I used to bring that stuff up to my daughter’s home. Made some noise while the grandkids were in school.

Last edited by RihanaB; 02-02-22 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-30-22, 06:24 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I bought the Airpannier probably 2 years ago but due to various hillarities did not get to use it until yesterday. I finally tested attaching it to my bike and rode 4 miles while carrying my ukulele. I am happy to report that I feel completely comfortable with the instrument on my bike even over bumps and jittery gravel. The net provides ample cushioning and there are no hard surfaces to impact during the ride.

Old 03-30-22, 10:19 AM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I have been trying for years to find a suitable option. Almost every backpack and travel guitar I have played are either small enough for travel - but sound like crap, or sound good - but too big to lug around (baby taylors). I am kicking myself now for selling my tacoma papoose in the late 90's/early 2000's. It played and sounded amazing, and was not much larger than most ukeleles. I haven't seen one in years, and if I can find one for sale now - the cost is way too high.