Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mass start rides in 2021?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 05:31 PM
streetstomper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Don't know where to put this since they closed the COVID subforum.

Does anyone know of any mass start rides (not races) already announced for this year? Wondering if rides like the Tour de l'île de Montréal or the Five Boro Bike Tour will be held in 2021. Pretty sure the former won't be happening this year as Canada reopening its border by June is almost impossible. Bike New York says they're trying to get their event together for the fall, but with the variant surges and a likely summer surge even with vaccines, I can't imagine the city allowing tens of thousands of riders packed together like sardines at the start line. Especially with many riders normally coming from across the country and even from other countries. There's no news about the Moonlight Ramble yet. Does RAGBRAI have a mass start?
Old 03-25-21, 05:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by streetstomper
Don't know where to put this since they closed the COVID subforum.

Does anyone know of any mass start rides (not races) already announced for this year? Wondering if rides like the Tour de l'île de Montréal or the Five Boro Bike Tour will be held in 2021. Pretty sure the former won't be happening this year as Canada reopening its border by June is almost impossible. Bike New York says they're trying to get their event together for the fall, but with the variant surges and a likely summer surge even with vaccines, I can't imagine the city allowing tens of thousands of riders packed together like sardines at the start line. Especially with many riders normally coming from across the country and even from other countries. There's no news about the Moonlight Ramble yet. Does RAGBRAI have a mass start?
So are we to assume you aren't interested in small mass start things of 500 or so?
Old 03-25-21, 06:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
I can't imagine the city allowing tens of thousands of riders packed together like sardines at the start line.
Were there any events in the U.S. or Canada with tens of thousands of riders at the start line, even before COVID?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-25-21, 06:31 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
It seems like you have no desire to enter such a ride so why ask?
Old 03-25-21, 07:11 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.ironman.com/im703-st-george
Old 03-26-21, 07:00 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Were there any events in the U.S. or Canada with tens of thousands of riders at the start line, even before COVID?
One year when I did the Tour de L'ile de Montreal I started at the very front and rode the 70 km at a very fast pace. When I finished, there was still a huge lineup of several thousand people who hadn't yet crossed the start line
Old 03-26-21, 08:16 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Ironman is doing mass-start races in the US this year. I think it likely comes down to individual states and where they are at with restrictions.

RAGBRI is happening this summer (as of now), but this is not a "mass start" event. The routes are open all day and cyclists can start/finish whenever they want.
Old 03-26-21, 08:20 AM
msu2001la

Probably not strictly cycling events, but there are lots of running races and triathlons that run "wave starts" with tens of thousands of participants.
Old 03-26-21, 08:34 AM
msu2001la

Dirty Kanza (now called Garmin Unbound Gravel) is on for June. This event has had around 4000 participants in the past. I don't think all 4k start at the exact same time, but probably in waves and broken up by event distance.
Old 03-26-21, 09:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
One year when I did the Tour de L'ile de Montreal I started at the very front and rode the 70 km at a very fast pace. When I finished, there was still a huge lineup of several thousand people who hadn't yet crossed the start line
Did the Five Boroughs Ride in NYC once. Once. Never again. Although I've heard that it can be fun if you are at/near the very front. We had to wait for three ferries in order to get from Staten Island to the start. At one point nearing Central Park we skateboarded for about 5 blocks. I was with a friend and his teenage daughter. Dad got separated from us. We thought he was behind so we stopped to look for him. Thought he would be easy to spot in his purple jacket until we realized that it seemed every 5th person was wearing a purple jacket. At the Astoria rest stop daughter went to use the restroom. Came back an hour later. But out of sheer luck we ran into dad on the FDR Parkway. What were the odds? When we got back to Staten Island we rode straight to the car, loaded up quickly and drove off in relief.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-26-21 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-26-21, 09:59 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Did the Five Boroughs Ride in NYC once. Once. Never again.
Yep... my return to cycling just missed being ready to contemplate it one year, and I spent a year thinking I wanted to do it, but the more I learned about it the more I didn't.

Having other riders spread out over a common route, striking up conversations with those you find yourself matching pace with, maybe even seeing some of the same people day after day during a longer event, that sounds like fun.

Bike traffic jams don't.

Many things are good in moderation, but hardly anything works to excess.
Old 03-26-21, 10:07 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Yep... my return to cycling just missed being ready to contemplate it one year, and I spent a year thinking I wanted to do it, but the more I learned about it the more I didn't.

Having other riders spread out over a common route, striking up conversations with those you find yourself matching pace with, maybe even seeing some of the same people day after day during a longer event, that sounds like fun.

Bike traffic jams don't.

Many things are good in moderation, but hardly anything works to excess.
Sounds to me as if your would enjoy Velo Quebec's Grand Tour. Never appealed to me, but I have a couple dozen friends who do it almost every year and love it
Old 03-26-21, 11:14 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by UniChris
Before I did it, my good friend, who was then head of Philadelphia's bike advocacy organization, told me I would hate it. She said something like "You think it's going to be this great bike be-in, but there are people weaving all over the place and cutting in front of you. There are people who but bikes for the first time just to do the ride." She was right.
Old 03-26-21, 01:59 PM
streetstomper

Five Boro Bike Tour - 32,000 riders

Tour of Montreal - 30,000+ riders
Likes For streetstomper:
Old 03-26-21, 02:02 PM
streetstomper

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
It seems like you have no desire to enter such a ride so why ask?
Why do people need to be presumptuous and snarky? Maybe I asked because I want to know whether to expect to be able to do any this year.
Old 03-26-21, 02:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Don't some of your friends get a little snarky to lighten the conversation when you are sitting around pondering life and other things?

This really isn't any different. Take it with humor as it was likely intended. Whether bad humor or not.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-26-21, 02:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Five Boro Bike Tour - 32,000 riders

Tour of Montreal - 30,000+ riders
Wow. Big rides.
Old 03-26-21, 09:42 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Why do people need to be presumptuous and snarky? Maybe I asked because I want to know whether to expect to be able to do any this year.
Yeah?...
After you posted ‘I can’t imagine the city allowing tens of thousands of riders packed together like sardines?’
Old 03-27-21, 12:05 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
2021 STP race canceled .

anti-socials won't miss a thing.
Old 03-27-21, 05:08 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Sounds to me as if your would enjoy Velo Quebec's Grand Tour. Never appealed to me, but I have a couple dozen friends who do it almost every year and love it
I did it in 2008. Many of the roads had horrible surfaces. You know they are bad when you’re happy to ride a wet, unpaved rail-trail. Other than that, and the fact that it rained every day except one, it was a nice event. The food was very good. The first night we had duck.
Old 03-27-21, 06:46 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Did the Five Boroughs Ride in NYC once. Once. Never again. Although I've heard that it can be fun if you are at/near the very front. We had to wait for three ferries in order to get from Staten Island to the start. At one point nearing Central Park we skateboarded for about 5 blocks. I was with a friend and his teenage daughter. Dad got separated from us. We thought he was behind so we stopped to look for him. Thought he would be easy to spot in his purple jacket until we realized that it seemed every 5th person was wearing a purple jacket. At the Astoria rest stop daughter went to use the restroom. Came back an hour later. But out of sheer luck we ran into dad on the FDR Parkway. What were the odds? When we got back to Staten Island we rode straight to the car, loaded up quickly and drove off in relief.
See, where else would you find so much adventure except in New York?
Old 03-27-21, 06:57 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't some of your friends get a little snarky to lighten the conversation when you are sitting around pondering life and other things?

This really isn't any different. Take it with humor as it was likely intended. Whether bad humor or not.
Yeah I hear what you’re saying. Totally agree, these forums need to be more light-hearted and less serious all the time. Problem is that oftentimes some individuals can’t take the same type of humor they like to hand out without starting a fight.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-27-21, 08:44 AM
streetstomper

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Yeah?...
After you posted ‘I can’t imagine the city allowing tens of thousands of riders packed together like sardines?’
It's a statement of fact. NYC was the epicenter of the pandemic a year ago. There have been over 30,000 deaths in the city alone and the number of cases is rising again right now and likely to keep doing so after people get cabin fever and go out this summer. It's a public health crisis. The 5 Boro start line is incredibly crowded. Canada obviously still thinks it's a threat since they refuse to let Americans across the border for nonessential travel. Do you dispute any of that? Something tells me you're not in NYC, so you don't know the conditions there. Maybe stop projecting your own insatiable need to be snarky on everyone else. If you can't just answer a simple question plainly, maybe don't write anything at all.

Last edited by streetstomper; 03-27-21 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For streetstomper:
Old 03-27-21, 08:46 AM
streetstomper

Originally Posted by Iride01

No, that was not humor. That was accusation.
Old 03-27-21, 09:21 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BillyD
See, where else would you find so much adventure except in New York?
I New York.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.