Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

want a new bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

want a new bike

Old 11-13-21, 10:00 AM
bikeflo

Bikes: old Miyata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
want a new bike

I'm brand new to bike forums-I own an ancient Miyata and am considering getting a newer road bike that's lighter. A few questions-will it allow me greater speed? I haven't shopped for bikes and am unaware of options out there-I'm aware of Trek of course, but not much else-this is highly general I imagine but does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 11-13-21, 10:36 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums.

for riding flat terrain, a lighter bike won’t make you faster. But a new bike always inspires, even if only for a while.

as to which new bike? Best to visit a good bike shop and ride a few. Flat bar, drop bar. Skinny tires, fat tires. Rim brakes, disc brakes.

a refurbed Miyata just might be more than adequate as well.

a World of choices to satisfy your (unstated) preferences.

Good Luck!

I like vintage.

Old 11-13-21, 10:39 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeflo
I'm brand new to bike forums-I own an ancient Miyata and am considering getting a newer road bike that's lighter. A few questions-will it allow me greater speed? I haven't shopped for bikes and am unaware of options out there-I'm aware of Trek of course, but not much else-this is highly general I imagine but does anyone have any recommendations?
Got one of these when I was 70. Fast it Is.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-13-21, 10:56 AM
bikeflo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Looks sharp! I will investigate further-thank you!
Old 11-13-21, 11:30 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Indulge yourself.
Finding stock might be hard.
If you are comfortable with assembly and know what size you need, take a look at Canyon bikes.
Old 11-13-21, 11:32 AM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I recently bought my first carbon bike (I really liked the BMC but ended up with a Cervelo). My first ride I got personal bests. Definitely faster on hills. Acceleration is shockingly faster. If your riding 50 miles mostly flat it will end up being only slightly faster unless there’s a lot of starting and stopping, but it will put a big smile on your face. I was shocked how comfortable a carbon endurance bike is compared to my trusty steel bike.
Likes For ratell:
Old 11-13-21, 12:42 PM
bikeflo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'll research them-thank you!
Old 11-13-21, 12:42 PM
bikeflo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Acceleration is nice!!!
Old 11-13-21, 03:05 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
What Miyata are you riding now? Some of them were very nice bikes. There are lots of us on the C&V sub forum who stick with old (or new) steel. As far as weight is concerned, A pound or two lighter doesn't make much difference if you are overweight. As for speed, tires make a big difference.
Likes For ironwood:
Old 11-13-21, 08:14 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Welcome to Bike Forums.

for riding flat terrain, a lighter bike won’t make you faster. But a new bike always inspires, even if only for a while.

I like vintage.
A kindred spirit! I like horizontal top tubes, frame lugs, leather saddles, toeclips, and non-indexed shifting.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 11-13-21, 10:43 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Depends upon how one approaches the sport.

Vintage and basic is fulfilling for many.
New technology fulfills others.
Some like both. We all like speed.
A social thing for many (clubs, e-sports)
A solitary thing for many.
Pick your place in the bicycle scene,
and just ride your bike.

This a way, or that a way!

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-13-21 at 10:53 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 11-14-21, 06:16 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 35 Posts
I will turn 70 on Tuesday. During the lockdown when all the gyms closed down I started riding a 15 year old hybrid steel, heavy bike. It helped me get a little more endurance and some confidence that I wouldn’t kill myself on it. I tend to ride only on dedicated paths and not too much on the roads and arm lucky to have several near me to use. This summer I was lucky to get a 2021 Trek Domane 5 that my LBS had on order and came in early. Love the bike and while I gained a bit of speed, not much, the bike is so much more comfortable to ride and allowing me to go further more comfortably. My LBS did a thorough fitting for me which I would highly recommend and make sure you buy a bike that is the right size.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 11-14-21, 09:02 AM
bikeflo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Nice philosophy Wildwood-
Old 11-14-21, 09:44 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Most of the brand names are good bikes. The mechanical parts are similar to a price point so you can look at Trek, Cannondale, Giant, etc, and find similar models at a similar price but the geometry will be the big difference. In a perfect world, I would say go ride all of them and find the one that fits you best. Unfortunately with the supply chain issues that is not a possibility at this time but you can go ride what you can find and see what fits you best. Lighter is better but I have found a 5 lbs. weight savings on my bike by losing some of my Covid weight gains. That has been a noticeable difference in my riding but that is just me. I ride a Topstone as I like the drop-bar configuration with 105 gear but the relaxed frame is best for my 73-year-old body. If I were to do it again I would have given Giant a longer look but probably would have ended up on my Cannondale anyway. I find Giant is a good bike for the price. Just my opinion so go with what fits you best and you will ride it more and that is the objective in the end anyway.
Good luck, Frank.

Likes For Helderberg:
Old 11-14-21, 09:58 AM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Helderberg is right they are all good bikes. The supply issues complicates things, but I usually suggest focus on the finding the bike shop you like best. Then work with them to find the bike for you.
Old 11-14-21, 10:43 AM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Bombtrack.com
Old 11-14-21, 12:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Every time I get a significantly lighter bike, I can feel the acceleration surges as I sprint from a stop or increase my speed rapidly. Also, some of the hills that use to give me issues become no longer an issue.

As for increasing my average speed, not so much. Maybe a 1/2 to 1 mph. Lighter does let me ride farther and retain more energy.

If you live in constantly rolling terrain as I do, I'd get as light a bike as you can reasonably afford if distance and climbing are something you want to improve your numbers for.
Old 11-14-21, 03:59 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Please define 'ancient'! Mine is a '86. -- it is also the NEWEST road bike I have!

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 11-14-21, 04:58 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with wanting a new bike. More power to you and I hope you navigate the sea of what is out there and find something you enjoy.

But by all means... Keep that "ancient Miyata". I wanted a Miyata in the early 80s but never got one. I hope to some day find one in decent survivor condition local to me.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-14-21, 07:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I restarted my bike passion at 50 on a 10-speed Miyata and in retrospect, it sucked. You won't believe the difference in a modern carbon bike. When we get into higher-end bikes, it becomes a question of how many $100 per ounce kind of thing. You'll be happy with anything under 18# with saddle and pedals. I bought a new ''99 carbon Trek in 2000 and it's still my main ride. What astonished me on my first ride was that i could pedal hard and as long as I kept shifting up, I just went faster and faster. All my power went into the road. That's what to look for. Some bikes are magic. 10 Wheels BMC is one of them.

Yes, a little faster but mostly more fun, easier climbing, easier to ride long distances, and the ability to change components to suit your strengths and weaknesses..

In this situation, I'd buy used. Avoid all the hassles. You'll need to know frame size. You can modify the exact fit quite extensively as long as the frame size is right. I suggest something carbon with compact gearing, 50-34 in front to avoid replacement part issues later.

You can use this calculator: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
to get frame size.
Old 11-14-21, 10:11 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtmav
I will turn 70 on Tuesday. During the lockdown when all the gyms closed down I started riding a 15 year old hybrid steel, heavy bike. It helped me get a little more endurance and some confidence that I wouldn’t kill myself on it. I tend to ride only on dedicated paths and not too much on the roads and arm lucky to have several near me to use. This summer I was lucky to get a 2021 Trek Domane 5 that my LBS had on order and came in early. Love the bike and while I gained a bit of speed, not much, the bike is so much more comfortable to ride and allowing me to go further more comfortably. My LBS did a thorough fitting for me which I would highly recommend and make sure you buy a bike that is the right size.
What bars do you have on your bike. I've not been super impressed with the Bontrager on my Domane. They are nice in that they really null out the road buzz, but to me they seem just a little to "thick" on the drops, but that might be because they have to handle the DI2 port. I have a set of FSA SL-K bars on my Emonda, non DI2, and I really like them, fit my hands really well, but again, the DI2 might require a slight larger tube dimension.

Old 11-15-21, 04:37 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 35 Posts
The bars are the standard oem, Bontrager Elite IsoZone VR-CF, alloy, 31.8mm, internal Di2 routing, 93mm reach, 123mm drop, 42cm width. I had the stem replaced during my fitting but everything else on the bike is stock. Haven’t had any issues with the bars, truth be told my time in the drops is fairly limited.
Jtmav
Old 11-15-21, 05:50 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Back in the day, roadies ran teeny tiny 23mm tires. I tried explaining that physics had something to say about that, but no one listened.

Now, even pro racers usually ride larger tires, 28 is common, I like 32. A lot of old bikes don't have the room.

You want relaxed geometry, regardless.

Carbon is good, I prefer the new steels. Best bike I have is my Gunnar Sport, you really should at least try one of the new, and expensive, steel bikes. Gunnar is the 'budget' version of Waterford. One old review of the Sport, years ago, was by a bike shop guy that said 90% of his customers buying pricey bikes would be better off on the Sport. I made the mistake of trying it while a bike shop was working on my Ti bike, and it literally put a goofy grin on my face, and then changed my life for the better.
Old 11-15-21, 07:08 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
The majority of pro racers use 25-mm tubular tires on the road, except for special events such as the cobbled classics, where 28-mm or even larger tires are fitted. It's true that the use of 23-mm tires is diminishing except for time trials and the like.

I agree that wider tires may be more enjoyable for someone returning to road riding later in life. That said, at 70, my road bikes (all of which are aluminum, which I prefer over the other choices) roll on 25-mm or 28-mm tires. I'll probably end up using 28 mm on all of them because I enjoy the extended mileage and reduced likelihood of flatting.

Plus, at 5' 8" and about 115 pounds, I don't worry much about ride comfort, since I run my tires at 60 or 70 psi. People who have gained rather than lost weight over the years would probably be better served with wider tires.
Old 11-15-21, 12:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by late
Back in the day, roadies ran teeny tiny 23mm tires. I tried explaining that physics had something to say about that, but no one listened.

Now, even pro racers usually ride larger tires, 28 is common, I like 32. A lot of old bikes don't have the room.

You want relaxed geometry, regardless.

Carbon is good, I prefer the new steels. Best bike I have is my Gunnar Sport, you really should at least try one of the new, and expensive, steel bikes. Gunnar is the 'budget' version of Waterford. One old review of the Sport, years ago, was by a bike shop guy that said 90% of his customers buying pricey bikes would be better off on the Sport. I made the mistake of trying it while a bike shop was working on my Ti bike, and it literally put a goofy grin on my face, and then changed my life for the better.
I ran "teeny tiny" 23s on everything for 35 years and only switched to 25s recently. I feel a difference but it's not huge. 28s don't really fit on my Seven. I have one road bike that won't fit 25s. I could put 28s on my Gunnar but why?
Here is the Gunnar with 23s on a cold day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.