Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Scotch distillery tour - advice please!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-21, 10:49 AM
acroy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Cross posted in UK for traffic.
Considering a solo distillery tour, Mar/April 2022. Fly into Glasgow, visit Campbelltown, Islay, end up in Kirkwall to visit Highland Park

Generally, how bike friendly are ya’ll ? Just looking at Google Streets, the roads look pretty darn narrow, would give me pause here, but cyclists are generally pretty rare here. Do drivers & cyclists get along ok?

I’ll bring my 29r hardtail MTB commuter, 2” slicks, lots of lights, fenders and be prepared to be cold & wet. get the full experience. 25-50 miles a day max, it’ll be a hoot. I think.

Any thoughts, advice? something like this over a 2-3 week period.
Old 12-15-21, 11:25 AM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I was in Scotland in June-July 2016.. Being Scotland you have to be prepared for all weather. with the notable exception of heat. I found the drivers to be extremely patient, so the narrow roads weren't ever an issue with me. The scenery is fabulous and remember you're rarely very far from a pub, so no matter the weather you can always stop for a pint or a dram to warm you up.

Likes For gerryl:
Old 12-15-21, 11:51 AM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gerryl
I was in Scotland in June-July 2016.. Being Scotland you have to be prepared for all weather. with the notable exception of heat. I found the drivers to be extremely patient, so the narrow roads weren't ever an issue with me. The scenery is fabulous and remember you're rarely very far from a pub, so no matter the weather you can always stop for a pint or a dram to warm you up.
Great feedback, thanks
Old 12-15-21, 05:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have never been there, but I am doing the early planning for a possible LEJOG trip. (Lands End to John O Grotes.) Some of your route north of Inverness follows some of the routing for LEJOG, so I would expect that a lot of the drivers are used to seeing bicyclists. That said, I have found several different routes for LEJOG, so I do not think there is one established route.

Besides Crazy Guy on a Bike, this is one of the other sources I check occasionally to see if there is anything I might want to know, or answers to questions I had not thought to ask. You might find some older threads with useful information.
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewforum.php?f=22
Old 12-16-21, 07:33 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I toured in Scotland, mostly the west coast, in the first half of June many years ago. The narrow one-lane roads with passing pullouts for cars were not a problem because traffic was light and drivers were careful. We actually had record heat (upper 70s to low 80s) and locals were complaining about it. We only had a few hours of drizzle one day, otherwise, sunshine. Also, in June, there was daylight until 10:30pm or 11pm. To be honest, touring there in gloomy March or April doesn't sound like "a hoot" to me. But at least you know what to expect. My favorite parts were riding on the isle of Mull, and the Ardnamurchan peninsula.
Old 12-16-21, 09:01 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
It is hard to tell from your map what roads you are planning to take. I rode some of this area in April and May, 2011. I started in Land's End and made it up to Fort William before turning south.

I rode up the west coast and took the ferry from Ardrossen to the Arran Island. I rode up the island, took the ferry to Tarbert and made my up to Kilmartin where I was advised to ride around Loch Awe and to Inverarry. I took a bus to Oban and the a ferry to the Isle of Mull and then to the mainland at Lochaline. I rode from there across beautiful but desolate land to Fort William. You can read my journal of this ride for more detail and lots of photos.

I had sunny weather the whole time I was in Scotland. It did rain at night, but rarely during the day. I rode on pavement and slept indoors (B&Bs, couchsurfing). My recollection of the roads were either 1 or 2 lanes with minimal shoulders, like all roads in the UK. But, there was very little traffic, except when dealing with huge trucks (lorrys) which are wider than the lanes on the roads, so I'd suggest a mirror, for sure. On busier roads (say, south of Ayr), it is harder to find low traffic roads that go where you want without meandering far and wide. Also, when I was there the roads were in bad repair and sides, where I had to ride, where full of holes and rough pavement.

My advice would be to plan your route carefully to avoid roads that are likely to be busy. Don't assume that Scottish drivers will cede you much space on the road, as there isn't much to cede. Also, be careful about dirt roads after a rain.

As for scotch tasting, one of my fondest memories was spending a rest day in Inverary (seat of the Duke of Argyle). In the afternoon I sat in a pub listening to live folk and rock music tasting scotch after scotch. I went to the barman, told him what I liked/disliked about the last one and he chose a new one for me. I never went to a distillery, though there are "whiskey" stores where you can do tasting, as well. I preferred doing my tasting in pubs.The full story is here.

Have a great time!

Last edited by raybo; 12-16-21 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-16-21, 09:03 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My advice. If you are going to swallow, don't forget to ride your bike on the wrong side of the road when departing the distillery
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-16-21, 10:04 AM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have never been there, but I am doing the early planning for a possible LEJOG trip. (Lands End to John O Grotes.) Some of your route north of Inverness follows some of the routing for LEJOG, so I would expect that a lot of the drivers are used to seeing bicyclists. That said, I have found several different routes for LEJOG, so I do not think there is one established route.

Besides Crazy Guy on a Bike, this is one of the other sources I check occasionally to see if there is anything I might want to know, or answers to questions I had not thought to ask. You might find some older threads with useful information.
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewforum.php?f=22
thanks! the route from Oban to John O Groats will not be the one shown. but just a general idea.
Old 12-16-21, 10:08 AM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
I toured in Scotland, mostly the west coast, in the first half of June many years ago. The narrow one-lane roads with passing pullouts for cars were not a problem because traffic was light and drivers were careful. We actually had record heat (upper 70s to low 80s) and locals were complaining about it. We only had a few hours of drizzle one day, otherwise, sunshine. Also, in June, there was daylight until 10:30pm or 11pm. To be honest, touring there in gloomy March or April doesn't sound like "a hoot" to me. But at least you know what to expect. My favorite parts were riding on the isle of Mull, and the Ardnamurchan peninsula.
cool, thanks. I intentionally want to go in the off season to avoid as much traffic as possible and see the 'non-touristy' Scotland weather

Originally Posted by raybo
It is hard to tell from your map what roads you are planning to take. I rode some of this area in April and May, 2011. I started in Land's End and made it up to Fort William before turning south.

I rode up the west coast and took the ferry from Ardrossen to the Arran Island. I rode up the island, took the ferry to Tarbert and made my up to Kilmartin where I was advised to ride around Loch Awe and to Inverarry. I took a bus to Oban and the a ferry to the Isle of Mull and then to the mainland at Lochaline. I rode from there across beautiful but desolate land to Fort William. You can read my journal of this ride for more detail and lots of photos.

I had sunny weather the whole time I was in Scotland. It did rain at night, but rarely during the day. I rode on pavement and slept indoors (B&Bs, couchsurfing). My recollection of the roads were either 1 or 2 lanes with minimal shoulders, like all roads in the UK. But, there was very little traffic, except when dealing with huge trucks (lorrys) which are wider than the lanes on the roads, so I'd suggest a mirror, for sure. On busier roads (say, south of Ayr), it is harder to find low traffic roads that go where you want without meandering far and wide. Also, when I was there the roads were in bad repair and sides, where I had to ride, where full of holes and rough pavement.

My advice would be to plan your route carefully to avoid roads that are likely to be busy. Don't assume that Scottish drivers will cede you much space on the road, as there isn't much to cede. Also, be careful about dirt roads after a rain.

As for scotch tasting, one of my fondest memories was spending a rest day in Inverary (seat of the Duke of Argyle). In the afternoon I sat in a pub listening to live folk and rock music tasting scotch after scotch. I went to the barman, told him what I liked/disliked about the last one and he chose a new one for me. I never went to a distillery, though there are "whiskey" stores where you can do tasting, as well. I preferred doing my tasting in pubs.The full story is here.

Have a great time!
fantastic, thanks!

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My advice. If you are going to swallow, don't forget to ride your bike on the wrong side of the road when departing the distillery
Old 12-16-21, 12:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

If you are new to bike touring in foreign lands, this is my go-to website for planning on hours of the day, typical weather temperatures, wind, precip, etc.
https://weatherspark.com/y/36473/Ave...dom-Year-Round

You can click on a month and get more detail for that time of year. Mar and Apr looks a bit drier than Jun or Jul which is when I usually do my touring, but a lot fewer hours of sunlight in the day. Looks a bit windier in Mar and Apr too.

You did not say if you are camping or staying indoors or a mix of both.

If I was there in Mar and Apr, I would probably leave my rain cover on my helmet the entire time I was there, that is what I did in Iceland. And many if not most days I would probably wear long pants instead of shorts. When I bike toured in Iceland, I did not even bring a short sleeve bike jersey, only had long sleeve jersey and long sleeved shirts for off the bike.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
This might come in first place for the best advice this month on this forum.
Old 12-16-21, 01:47 PM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
If you are new to bike touring in foreign lands, this is my go-to website for planning on hours of the day, typical weather temperatures, wind, precip, etc.
https://weatherspark.com/y/36473/Ave...dom-Year-Round

You can click on a month and get more detail for that time of year. Mar and Apr looks a bit drier than Jun or Jul which is when I usually do my touring, but a lot fewer hours of sunlight in the day. Looks a bit windier in Mar and Apr too.

You did not say if you are camping or staying indoors or a mix of both.

If I was there in Mar and Apr, I would probably leave my rain cover on my helmet the entire time I was there, that is what I did in Iceland. And many if not most days I would probably wear long pants instead of shorts. When I bike toured in Iceland, I did not even bring a short sleeve bike jersey, only had long sleeve jersey and long sleeved shirts for off the bike.
appreciate that, I use that site too.

undecided on accommodations - tempted to camp but this is my first bike tour and I tend to occasionally bite off more than i can chew ... Most likely just stay in hostels.

I also have to figure out how to get my bike in & out of the country. I have the big plastic bike box, but hoping to arrive and leave from different airports, which means I'll have to somehow mail the empty bike box to the departure city.... hmmm. might have to get in contact with a local bike shop and see if they'd be willing to help me out in exchange for a pint or 3.
Old 12-16-21, 02:49 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I was in Scotland in 2016 as well. From Inverness we headed toward the west coast a bit north of Ullapool to join the North Coast 500. The riding on that route was sensational despite the rain flurries every day. So if you have the time to extend your journey a little bit, I'd highly recommend checking it out.

We also took the ferry to Islay and camped there a couple of nights to visit the distilleries, most of which are a quick ride from the little town center. It was a great experience!
Likes For niknak:
Old 12-16-21, 05:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by acroy
undecided on accommodations - tempted to camp but this is my first bike tour and I tend to occasionally bite off more than i can chew ... Most likely just stay in hostels.

I also have to figure out how to get my bike in & out of the country. I have the big plastic bike box, but hoping to arrive and leave from different airports, which means I'll have to somehow mail the empty bike box to the departure city.... hmmm. might have to get in contact with a local bike shop and see if they'd be willing to help me out in exchange for a pint or 3.
UK has been having a Covid problem lately, you should check with the hostels first if that is even a remote possibility. Different parts of UK apparently are under different rules, I have not checked Scotland lately. This is on britian:
https://www.politico.eu/article/bori...virus-numbers/

This might help:
https://www.politico.eu/article/coro...#unitedkingdom

My foreign trips where I brought a bike, I always went in and out of the same airport, relied on a hostel to store my bike case, but my case is a S&S Backpack case that is extremely small compared to a full sized bike case. But I have not done a bike tour since Covid, so not sure if things have changed much.

You might want to look at the possibility of train travel back to your starting point.
https://www.scotrail.co.uk/

For my possible LEJOG trip, I already put the Wick train station in my list of places for my GPS.
Old 12-16-21, 07:25 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,819 Times in 1,058 Posts
The world is full of wonderful, amazing places. That said, we had a kick ass time in Scotland! I'd go right back at the drop of a helmet.

World's oldest bicycle @ the Transportation Museum in Glasgow:

Great bicycle displays at the museum as well. @ the Clydeside Distillery, where we had scotch & chocolate pairings:

@ the Scapa Distillery in Orkney:

Huge warehouse - they only just let us stick our noses in. I read that the value of aging scotch in Scotland exceeds the value of gold in the Bank of England. The world has become more affluent (Factfulness - Hans Rosling) and Asia has discovered Scottish whisky. They can't seem to distill enough and there's ancient and brand new distilleries around every corner.

Standing under one of the Kelpies with my rent-a-Brompton:

^The weather is just like this all the time!

The CTC Cycling UK & their members forum is a great resource. Sustrans has quiet routes.

Go. Seriously, go.

Last edited by tcs; 12-17-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-16-21, 07:31 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
What came to mind was an article in the NY Times a few years back, a writer did a walking and tasting tour, where he would hike a few miles in the morning, do lunch and a tasting, walk a few more miles in the afternoon, do dinner and a tasting.

On day 4 he was doing the morning walk, do lunch and a tasting, and take a cab to that days inn, take a nap, do dinner and a tasting and repeat the next day.
Old 12-17-21, 08:38 AM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
I was in Scotland in 2016 as well. From Inverness we headed toward the west coast a bit north of Ullapool to join the North Coast 500. The riding on that route was sensational despite the rain flurries every day. So if you have the time to extend your journey a little bit, I'd highly recommend checking it out.

We also took the ferry to Islay and camped there a couple of nights to visit the distilleries, most of which are a quick ride from the little town center. It was a great experience!
Awesome. Islays are my favorite, just thinking about how Ardbeg smells makes me smile

UK has been having a Covid problem lately, you should check with the hostels first if that is even a remote possibility. Different parts of UK apparently are under different rules, I have not checked Scotland lately.
My foreign trips where I brought a bike, I always went in and out of the same airport, relied on a hostel to store my bike case, but my case is a S&S Backpack case that is extremely small compared to a full sized bike case. But I have not done a bike tour since Covid, so not sure if things have changed much.
You might want to look at the possibility of train travel back to your starting point.
https://www.scotrail.co.uk/
For my possible LEJOG trip, I already put the Wick train station in my list of places for my GPS.
The trip largely depends on travel restrictions - won't go unless I can travel freely. I had 'rona early and don't plan to get a vax - so it may be some time before they let me in.
I'd not thought of a train, that's a good idea.
I like the romantic thought of flying into a city, biking the length of the country, and flying out of Orkney - but we'll see if it is practical.

Originally Posted by tcs
The world is full of wonderful, amazing places. That said, we had a kick ass time in Scotland!

Huge warehouse - they only just let us stick our noses in. I read that the value of aging scotch in Scotland exceeds the value of gold in the Bank of England. The world has become more affluent (Factfulness - Hans Rosling) and Asia has discovered Scottish whisky. They can't seem to distill enough and there's ancient and brand new distilleries around every corner.

The CTC Cycling UK & their members forum is a great resource. Sustrans has quiet routes.

Go. Seriously, go.
thanks, appreciate it!
for sure about Scotch - and will look up that book. I like Matt Ridley's work and similar, makes me happy

Originally Posted by Steve B.
What came to mind was an article in the NY Times a few years back, a writer did a walking and tasting tour, where he would hike a few miles in the morning, do lunch and a tasting, walk a few more miles in the afternoon, do dinner and a tasting.
On day 4 he was doing the morning walk, do lunch and a tasting, and take a cab to that days inn, take a nap, do dinner and a tasting and repeat the next day.
Hardcore
Old 12-17-21, 02:02 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Acroy, if you aren't vaccinated, you aren't going anywhere. Not in the UK, not to Canada.
You do however have a much higher risk of gaining access to an ICU
Hope you don't.

Last edited by djb; 12-18-21 at 11:09 AM. Reason: n't
Likes For djb:
Old 12-18-21, 07:35 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by acroy

The trip largely depends on travel restrictions - won't go unless I can travel freely. I had 'rona early and don't plan to get a vax -...
If spring '22 is the time frame, you might consider a domestic plan B..perhaps a bourbon tour in Kentucky.
Old 12-18-21, 01:34 PM
acroy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Acroy, if you aren't vaccinated, you aren't going anywhere. Not in the UK, not to Canada.
You do however have a much higher risk of gaining access to an ICU
Hope you don't.
Appreciate the concern - decision is a calculated risk. I breezed through the Rona, roughest part was losing smell for almost a year. have had gnarly reactions to other vax's in the past.

Originally Posted by fishboat
If spring '22 is the time frame, you might consider a domestic plan B..perhaps a bourbon tour in Kentucky.
Yeah I suspect the spring '22 is wishful thinking - but then there is fall '22, spring '23 - I'll use the time to plan very carefully. And yes I'm looking at a Kentucky tour, and I've a friend just a few minutes from Chattanooga Whiskey. Chattanooga area is very pretty.

from the gov.scot website, current restrictions are

once they drop the 10-day isolation I'm good.

Appreciate all the input!
Old 12-18-21, 01:50 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
my error, thought you had to be fully vaccinated to get in.