Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tires for Dirt and a Bit of Mud

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 06:06 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

I’m looking for a 35mm (or so, max 40) tire I’m going to use spring through fall on a trail system by my house that is mainly gravel, but has enough dirt, sometimes mud, that I want a tire just for these rides.

some sections are single track that are off camber, with occasional rut, root, or small rock. Doesn’t have to be light or fast, just capable. I have another wheelset for mixed surface paved/gravel longer riding.

Last edited by Noonievut; 01-15-22 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-15-22, 10:52 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I haven't found anything that GravelKing SKs don't excel at. Yes, they can pick up some mud between the knobs, but they generally shed it just as quickly. I like the 35s so much on my SSCX bike that I bought a pair of 43s for my geared Monster Cross.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-15-22, 11:13 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
I am not really liking how the gravelking SKs handle the mud I’ve ridden in. They don’t seem to shed well for me - 650b x48. I eventually had to stop and clean em out with a stick.

I’ve heard great things about the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel Ms which has me intrigued.
Likes For franswa:
Old 01-19-22, 12:02 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I'm pretty impressed with how good 'ol Nanos do - I have 700cx40 on one bike. Been able to have some fun in the mud a little bit lately (rare in SoCal) and they hook up very well IMO. Also better in sandy loose stuff than I would have expected, and great on singletrack.