Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Input for bike accessory design project

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-15-22, 11:19 AM
pedrom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi y’all!

I am a product design senior working on my capstone project and I want to design some sort of accessory product(s) for bike riders.

Basically anything that you could think that would make communing less stressful. Whether it’s storage, reflectors, whatever you can think of.

It doesn’t have to be a new invention, so if you already have something you use but think it could be improved on that works too. Feel free to link any products.

Originally, I was thinking of a seat storage pouch/bag that also has a retractable cover for the seat to keep it dry when it’s stored outside when raining/snowing. I’m wondering if this is something that would be on the market, how’d likely you would buy it?

I’m open to all ideas. Thank you for your input!
Old 01-15-22, 03:26 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
get rid of cars.....that would help. Short of that I got nothing for you...sorry I can't be more helpful.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 01-15-22, 05:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The market is full of bike accessories and Kickstarter is full of more coming. Some of them are awfully clever and some are awful junk and the two are not mutually exclusive. This being a design project you might want to look at existing products and see how you can make it better.

For commuting we have some common challenges that have individual solutions. Darkness, inclement weather, traffic, repairs, lockup, being presentable.

That last one might be a good line of attack for a women's product. It seems like guys are pretty comfortable dressing out, taking a shower at work if available or a sponge bath in a toilet stall, while ladies must carry an additional stylish purse for lack of pockets and more stuff to carry for hair and makeup, must do an even better job with their clothes hair and makeup and shoes and accessories, and don't seem as likely to strip down and use baby wipes while standing on a potty.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-15-22 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 08:08 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
Consider products that might help cyclists with hearing loss ride more safely.
Likes For denaffen:
Old 01-16-22, 10:50 AM
urbanCyC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
A mechanical bell, that even car drivers would recognize. I'm working on such a project but it is really challenging. An electronic or pneumatic horn is not the solution I'm looking for, it should sound like a bell...
Old 01-16-22, 10:52 AM
urbanCyC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
And just to add: Daytime running lights for the barends would be helpful, too...
Likes For urbanCyC:
Old 01-16-22, 11:21 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by pedrom
Hi y’all!

I am a product design senior working on my capstone project and I want to design some sort of accessory product(s) for bike riders.

Basically anything that you could think that would make communing less stressful. Whether it’s storage, reflectors, whatever you can think of.

It doesn’t have to be a new invention, so if you already have something you use but think it could be improved on that works too. Feel free to link any products.

Originally, I was thinking of a seat storage pouch/bag that also has a retractable cover for the seat to keep it dry when it’s stored outside when raining/snowing. I’m wondering if this is something that would be on the market, how’d likely you would buy it?

I’m open to all ideas. Thank you for your input!
Congratulations!

I just finished my BS a month and a half ago. “I’m a real adult now!”

Online school a godsend. I went to traditional college for a year after enlistment. I thought “If I stay here I’m going to end up as foolish as the profs.”

Of course the 18 year olds were eating out of the palms of their hands.

I want a JD but wife said wait till kids are gone.
Old 01-16-22, 11:46 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Portable Shower?
Actually I use a camping one for 'bikepacking' but maybe something you can hook to a sink and at least wash your hair and include some body wipes for a quick cleanup in a restroom?
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 01-16-22, 01:06 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Complete bike commuting setup?

Include options for lights, racks, fenders, bags, helmet with lights?
Old 01-18-22, 04:44 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
There's some demand for lockable on-bike storage. I've seen one or two such products, but they're rare. That could make an interesting project.
Old 01-19-22, 09:00 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
The bicycle commuting community is growing with a lot of folks now riding E-bikes, but it is still a relatively small group. My opinion is that you either have to come up with a product with mass appeal (the entire bicycling community - not just commuters), or something that fills a commuting need really well.

Here is something that I have been needing: A very small, easy to move, inexpensive bike stand for the garage/living room/office. I don't use a kickstand, so I always lean the bike against something and it often is in the way. It would be nice to be able to grab the stand off a shelf, slide/drop it in place, and park the bike. This would hold the bike upright by the rear wheel securely.

Or how about a "light ring" for a helmet? Front and rear lights that are super easy to mount... just drop/stretch the ring around the helmet an viola, lights! No having to fool with bike mounts. Lithium rechargeable, inexpensive and may meet a need for a lot of people. You could also do themed ones with Christmas colors, Halloween, 4th of July, etc.
Likes For timdow:
Old 01-19-22, 10:02 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
There's some demand for lockable on-bike storage. I've seen one or two such products, but they're rare. That could make an interesting project.
This resonates for me. I leave a lock on the rack. I was at one office that had a shower, but no place to leave toiletries and no place to hang clothes to dry (summer, Houston TX, so, yeah). I hung a small zippered bag with shaving gear and soap on my lock and would hang my jersey on the bike. Though in a low-theft area, I did have one jersey disappear so I then locked my jersey also.

I realize that is a very niche market, but perhaps something with a bit of security that could stay (like my U-lock) on the rack might have a market.
Old 01-19-22, 08:56 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
A handlebar mirror for swept bars. My bike has this handlebar, necessitating a cruiser-style mirror; specifically this one. It's heavy, I had to improvise a better mount, and I can't quite get the angle right, but it looks classy and I can see well. 99.9% of handlebar mirrors are designed for flat bars and drops, but very, very little for north road style bars.

So design me a better mirror. It needs to stick out far enough that I can see more than my arm, not so heavy that it sags and needs constant adjustment, but it does need to be able to move because I need to adjust it and it will get pushed around a bit, and I want it to look classy; silver rather than bad-ass black.
Old 01-19-22, 09:05 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
auto lights. that turn on and off when you start and connect to your phone so you know when the batteries are low. my monkey light wheel light was a good design turns on and and off with motion and dark and then flashes red the anti is low.
Old 01-19-22, 09:07 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
auto lights. that turn on and off when you start and connect to your phone so you know when the batteries are low. my monkey light wheel light was a good design turns on and and off with motion and dark and then flashes red the anti is low.
Kind of useless at a stoplight.
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-19-22, 09:13 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Kind of useless at a stoplight.
they ran for a few minutes after you stop. just like every auto turn off light I have seen.
Old 01-19-22, 09:19 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
they ran for a few minutes after you stop. just like every auto turn off light I have seen.
Cool!
Old 01-20-22, 02:36 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

For your capstone it’s more about your thought process, documenting that you understand product placement, etc.

It’s way more important that you just pick something and get to typing.

It could probably literally be dog poop, just invent a reason and get to typing.
Old 01-28-22, 02:14 PM
CFDJ

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Small and packable are the best ways to start. Something I've been struggling with and haven't see too too many solutions for is a good headlamp mount that fits to my helmet so i don't have to have it on my forehead. I know there are other more designated helmet lights but I have a headlamp i use for dog walking trail-running etc. and don't feel the need to have multiple if I don't need to but would just like to have sometihng more secure on a sloped helmet.
Old 02-05-22, 10:38 PM
milomaltedmilk

Bikes: Montague franken-bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Yes, this! I spent ages looking for something lockable. I ended up drilling holes in my rack and bolting on a plastic lockable ammo-can, which works perfectly, but it would be nice to have a dedicated product.
Old 02-06-22, 05:18 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Don't forget a Chainguard. Most European commuter bicycle have them on. Why can't we have them on our bikes?
Old 02-06-22, 10:10 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
A universal mount for a rear-facing camera than can be firmly attached to any kind of rear rack.

Seat post mounts work only when there is nothing mounted at the rear wheel (rack, baskets, etc).