Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I installed 24" tube on 26" wheel. Is it dangerous?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-18-22, 11:06 AM
car5car

Bikes: Dead Mongoose XR100, Roadmaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I needed 26" tube and found 24" tube at home and installed it. Now what? I already bought right tube, should I replace it or it is OK to ride? thanks.

Last edited by car5car; 01-18-22 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-18-22, 11:21 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by car5car View Post
I needed 26" tube and found 24" tube at home and installed it. Now what? I already bought right tube, should I replace it or it is OK to ride? thanks.
I'd probably install the correct tube since you have it and it's not a big job at home, but might not be beyond carrying the undersized one as a spare. For that matter you might patch the original and put that back in.

Opinions are going to vary, but will throw out as a data point that the limited availability of tubes for giant 36 inch rims (and the fact that the early butyl tubes that were available weighted a ton) means that a fair number of people in both the giant bike and unicycle communities just started running 29er tubes in them, which is quite a bit more stretch than 24 to 26. I installed one once to see if I could, but haven't ridden it since some lighter weight tubes made for that size were economically available for a bit a couple of years ago.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 01-18-22, 11:38 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,157 Posts
It is 8% stretched. You will be fine.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-18-22, 11:39 AM
Iride01
MotuekaCascadeChinook

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4184 Post(s)
Liked 2,708 Times in 1,887 Posts
I'd only expect that the 24" tube will wear out faster and flat quicker if punctured.

If that is unsafe to you then change it. Otherwise just wait till it gives you troubles.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-18-22, 01:20 PM
car5car

Bikes: Dead Mongoose XR100, Roadmaster

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks.
Old 01-19-22, 09:43 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4804 Post(s)
Liked 2,359 Times in 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
I'd only expect that the 24" tube will wear out faster and flat quicker if punctured.
Say What?! Tubes don’t “wear out”. Tubes don’t move inside the tire so there is no mechanism for wearing one out. And air will leak from the tube at the same rate as any other tube if punctured.

I don’t necessarily see a downside to use a smaller tube other than having to stretch the tube on installation.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Old 01-19-22, 10:12 AM
Iride01
MotuekaCascadeChinook

Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
Say What?! Tubes don’t “wear out”. Tubes don’t move inside the tire so there is no mechanism for wearing one out. And air will leak from the tube at the same rate as any other tube if punctured.

I don’t necessarily see a downside to use a smaller tube other than having to stretch the tube on installation.
Of course it's moving in the tire. Though it's not going anywhere. There is stretching and contracting of every portion that encounters the area of the contact patch and the tire rolls along the ground.

And since many people don't do so well with keeping their tires inflated, then a stretched tube is going to be worse in that situation than a proper size tube.

You know how many people riding Schrader valves have the stems at an angle from riding under inflated tires. I'm certain every one of those valves where straight when the tube and tire installed. So what moved? The tube or the tire and rim?
Old 01-19-22, 11:51 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Of course it's moving in the tire. Though it's not going anywhere. There is stretching and contracting of every portion that encounters the area of the contact patch and the tire rolls along the ground.
Tubes donít wear out. Period. Iíve taken 30 year old tubes out of tires and reused them. Iíve got tubes with 30+ patches on them that have no signs of wear. The tube moves with the tire but a properly inflated tube doesnít move independently of the tire. Tubes ďwearing outĒ just isnít a problem that anyone has ever experienced.

You know how many people riding Schrader valves have the stems at an angle from riding under inflated tires. I'm certain every one of those valves where straight when the tube and tire installed. So what moved? The tube or the tire and rim?
The tire and tube movedÖtogether. Every straighten out a valve that is at an angle? To do so you deflate the tire (tube actually) and grab the tire and rotate it to move the stem back to vertical. If you just grab the valve and try to move it back to vertical, it wonít move or it wonít stay. You have to move both the tire and tube but mostly you have to move the tire.

On the other hand, if a tube is the wrong inner diameter, I could see it as more likely to keep the tire from moving because the tube sits further down in the channel of the rim. This would press on the bead tighter than a larger inner diameter tube and keep the tire in place.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Old 01-19-22, 12:00 PM
2old

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 345 Posts
I built my first 29er from a frame and there weren't tubes at my LBS yet, so used 26er's for at least a year until they got flats or whatever (might have been much longer). No problem.
Old 01-19-22, 12:53 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1850 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 532 Posts
So what moved? The tube or the tire and rim?
Assuming that the setup wasn't out of alignment to begin with, I would guess that it's typically the tube and tire moving together. It hard to visualize why a tube would experience axial slippage by itself relative to the surrounding rim and tire, but an underinflated tire slipping against a rim would be understandable, and would tug on the tube.
Old 01-19-22, 01:20 PM
Iride01
MotuekaCascadeChinook

Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
Tubes donít wear out. Period.
I guess your issue is my choice of using "wear out". Yes, in your definition of wear out, they don't wear out per se. I guess maybe fail would have been a better choice.

So do you have an issue with this re-write?
I'd only expect that the 24" tube will wear out faster fail sooner and flat quicker if punctured.

If that is unsafe to you then change it. Otherwise just wait till it gives you troubles.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, it just seems that the more you stretch a tube the thinner it is and the more stress it is under. So it will have a shorter life. And to me a shorter life is wear, whether any material is worn from it or the material changes properties or not.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-19-22, 01:28 PM
Iride01
MotuekaCascadeChinook

Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
Assuming that the setup wasn't out of alignment to begin with, I would guess that it's typically the tube and tire moving together. It hard to visualize why a tube would experience axial slippage by itself relative to the surrounding rim and tire, but an underinflated tire slipping against a rim would be understandable, and would tug on the tube.
Yes, it was a hasty late addition to my reply. Since I posted it before I fully thought about it I'll have to take the hit for that.
Old 01-19-22, 04:13 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old View Post
I built my first 29er from a frame and there weren't tubes at my LBS yet, so used 26er's for at least a year until they got flats or whatever (might have been much longer). No problem.
The years I rode a 29er I never bothered stocking up on new tubes. When the ones that came with the bike got scrapped, I dipped into my 26Ē stash. Install required a tiny bit more finesse, but the tires I ran were quite user friendly and didnít cause any drama. Maybe a 15-30 seconds penalty on a swap.
Once in place, entirely uneventful.
OTOH Iíve had other tires that have been more temperamental, and where ALSO fighting an escape-prone tube quickly turns into a real PITA.
So thatís really what I use as a judgement base. Can I fit the smaller tube w/o cursing, then Iím quite happy to do so, and to leave it in for its operational life.
If itís a wrestling match making me wish for a 3rd hand, then it goes back out at the next appropriate opportunity.
Likes For dabac:
Old 01-19-22, 04:54 PM
cyccommute 

I guess your issue is my choice of using "wear out". Yes, in your definition of wear out, they don't wear out per se. I guess maybe fail would have been a better choice.

So do you have an issue with this re-write?
When you said that the tube “wears out”, I was thinking more about frictional rubbing. I think we can agree that’s just not something that happens.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, it just seems that the more you stretch a tube the thinner it is and the more stress it is under. So it will have a shorter life. And to me a shorter life is wear, whether any material is worn from it or the material changes properties or not.
I’ve addressed something like this here. If what I was saying in that post is correct, I think that a smaller diameter tube would actually solve the issue of the tube stretching thin in the spoke channel of the wheel quite handily. It would be slightly thinner on the outer edge but that’s not going to result in more frictional wear. The thickness of the tube…with the exception of very thick “thornproof” tubes…doesn’t do much to prevent flats from occurring.

On my trip, I actually attempted to address this with a 27.5” tire. I didn’t use them because they were too wide to fit in my road tires.
Old 01-23-22, 09:23 AM
morecommas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-23-22, 09:27 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 56 Posts
In a pinch I used a 559 tube in a 622 wheel and intended to swap it out later but forgot. I rode about 6 months with it like that and there were no problems. I only realized I had forgotten about it when I went to put on a different tire.