Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Carbon Road frames really worth the extra cost?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 11:16 PM
rickster1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and was wondering are carbon road frames really worth the extra cost (sometimes as much as $1400 more)? I'm looking to buy my first road bike and after digging around I guess I'm looking of either 105 or Tiagra components, I have test rode Trek's Domane AL5 and SL5, Emonda SL5 and ALR5 as well as the Specialized Roubaix (I'm open to other brands and models).

I know the Domane is classed as an endurance bike and understand the difference between that and the Emonda's but when I test rode them, I really didn't feel any difference between them. This will probably be my first and only road bike since I tend to keep my gear in good shape, I currently ride an older Trek 830 on the roads that I have swapped the tires out to more of a road type tire. I also have a full suspension MTB for the trails.

I'm having a hard time trying to justify the extra cost of carbon over aluminum. For those that have a Trek with the ISO system does it really make a difference in aiding in a smoother ride?

A little bit about me- I'm 53 and in average shape, I recently lost about 80 lbs this past year (gained some back over the holidays), did my first bike challenge for kids' cancer back in Oct. (rode 410 miles), mostly ride on surfaced trails and country roads, I ride about 35-40 miles each time I ride and average 14 MPH on the old Trek.

I appreciate any comments and recommends that you may have for me as I try to decide what to purchase.

My wife asked me why I need another bike? So, I said you need one for the different type of road material (dirt, crushed limestone, asphalt/concrete, etc.) but I don't think she's buying it

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-24-22, 12:05 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
My solution has been to buy a new bike for the wife when I want a new one as well. Hasn't been a perfect solution but she rides and is more amenable to my shopping.

Personally I have never been impressed with aluminum road bikes, I've ridden a number of them and they're nice enough, brands like Cannondale can make them really lively and comfortable, trek and specialized aluminum to me is kinda whatever. This is regarding road bikes, my mtbs have almost all been aluminum and I can't complain there. Carbon from trek though has always been a really nice ride and way better than their aluminum, and I would consider it worth the cost difference on a road or endurance bike over their aluminum. That said, if I was spending enough to go that route, I'd also look at higher end steel or titanium instead which I like better. My current road bike is carbon and I absolutely love it, but it was on clearance and if I had to pay the full price knowing how well it rides, I'd still have gone Ti.
Old 01-24-22, 12:48 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
dunno the quality of roads nearby but sounds like you've been crushing it on the current rig/setup. congrats on
the life priorities/riding changes!

the new(ish) carbon stuff is pretty dayum smooth, no two ways about it. my question for you is:

if you did buy a new(ish) carbon frame/bike, would you have more time, less time or same amount of time for riding?

unless you're coming into a substantial increase of time involved in riding your bike (empty nesting, retirement, etc, et al),
i'd be more tempted to stick with the current rig with maybe a component upgrade if necessary. a new frame/bike is sexy until it becomes
the usual. how long does that take? 3-6 months? a year? guess it depends on riding frequency and personal preference.

you can get a lighter bike/frame, better gearing, and/or get in better shape. maybe all three. maybe one. maybe two. my experience
has been to take the current rig as far as you can before considering upgrades. losing 5-10 lbs of belly fat is worth one-two spaces on the cassette.
a dream machine will possibly increase the range but make the legs "softer."

ps...i'm the same exact age.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-24-22 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-24-22, 04:22 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Hey Rickster! I'll throw in my two coppers. I ride an Emonda ALR 5 with the usual upgrades (wheels, tires, bars, saddle). I absolutely love the ride and am comfortable on my rides ranging anywhere from quick 15 mile runs to 50 mile rides. When I ride carbon, I don't see a significant enough difference to regret going with the ALR and investing the difference in the aforementioned upgrades, which I'd require with a carbon Emonda as well. As always..YMMV
Old 01-24-22, 05:55 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
I rode high-end steel road bikes for about 40 years and then bought my first aluminum bike and fell in love and bought a few more. I did also buy one carbon road bike, figuring that that might be even better, but I made the mistake of buying one with a slightly longer wheelbase than my racing-geometry aluminum bikes.

It's OK, and I did keep riding it for a couple of years, having spent the money, but I was almost glad when I cracked a dropout on the carbon bike as a result of doing a sloppy job of installing it on an indoor trainer. Now it's my permanent trainer bike, and I'm back to doing all my road miles on my aluminum bikes.

You'll probably be happy with whatever bike you choose, since you seem open-minded about the choices available. Just posting to let you know that some of us have found that we're at least as happy with aluminum as with carbon bikes.
Old 01-24-22, 06:05 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Cycling is a hobby. Your purchases should never cause distress. If the additional $ for carbon causes even a little discomfort for you or your spouse, your choice is clear.
Old 01-24-22, 06:23 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
The question of whether or any bike upgrade is worth the money really comes down to what the money is worth to you.

For some folks $1400 is a month's salary. Others make it in an hour. Probably not worth it to the former, but worth it to the latter.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-24-22, 06:31 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Back in 2017, I made a deal with myself - lost 20 lbs and buy a carbon bike that would be 10 lbs lighter than my 20 year old Trek 520 steel bike. Bought a Domane and I love that bike, rally caused me to increase my mileage each year.

But, in 2018 I decided to do the Seattle to Portland 2 day 209 mile ride and rather than ship my Domane back and forth across the country, I rented a Fuji aluminum road bike that had the same components and similar geometry as the Domane. I did bring my own seat.

After about 250 miles over 3 days, I realized I really couldn't tell the difference. I'm 65, weigh 220 and am not a racer and never have been able to tell if a bike is 'twitchy" or "aggressive" or "sassy" or any of those terms bike reviews use - so YMMV.

The only downside (besides the added expense) of the carbon bike has been the 24 spoke rear wheel - after two years I started breaking spokes and had it rebuilt with stronger spokes and brass nipples. So far so good, but that less expensive aluminum Fuji came with 28 spoke wheels and in my past experience I probably wouldn't have been breaking spokes so quickly.

So, if I had to do it again I'd probably get an aluminum frame and apply some or all of the savings to a wheelset upgrade. But, I am really loving that Domane!

By the way, I did a N+1-1. I donated my 30 year old Schwinn hybrid to keep my bike total the same after buying the Domane...
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 01-24-22, 06:38 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I'm in a similar situation to jpescatore. Similar age, similar weight (but I've yet to lose that 20lbs!). I ride a 2014 Carbon Domane, and I love it. I also have a 1999 Lemond Zurich with a full Ultregra R8000 groupset. Some observations:
The CF Domane rides very nice. I have a Ritchey CF (Pro Logic II IIRC) handlebar on it, and the handlebar DOES make a difference.
The Lemond (853) also rides ok. I enjoyed it, but when I swapped out the original fork for a Ritche WCS, with the pro logic handlebars, it made a big difference. It rides super.
I defer to jpescatore's experience with aluminum.
BTW, I weigh about 245 and have had the Domane wheels with Trek Paradigm wheels (18 spokes?) and so far... no spoke breakage. Maybe my legs are just weak.
Old 01-24-22, 07:05 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Where are you located?

What size road bike fits you (or how tall are you)?

You're definitely hammering on your 830. Given the type of riding you're doing, or want to do, (being a bit older than you) tell your wife:

1) The new bike will making your riding much more fun
2) As a result of #1, you'll probably ride more
3) As a result of #1 & 2, you'll get in and maintain better mental and physical health as you grow older
4) (you see where this is going)..As a result of 1, 2, 3 you'll be a happier companion
5) You won't live for ever, but you can live better. Living better doesn't require the latest whizbang electronic landfill-fodder. When it comes to bikes and using them..they improve your life in more ways than nearly any other hobby/sport-type equipment.

That said, one might think a $10K bike is warranted. For some it may be, but in general(at your stage) not all, not even close. I know how an street-equipped 830 rides..it can be a fun ride, but you have LOTS of headroom to get into a more appropriate (and fun) bike for a modest investment. As you climb up the bike-cost ladder you'll find diminishing returns on "better"..that you can really notice. (Yes..when you ride 4 different bikes back to back you'll note differences, though once you settle on any one of them that fits right..those minor differences tend to be forgotten)

With the types of rides you're interested in, and your starting point, I'd be looking at a gravel type bike that can run good, fast tires in the 38mm range. And I'd buy it used.
This would be a worthwhile, recent discussion to read:
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ance-bike.html

If you're not sure what to look for, folks here will be more than happy to help you spend some money. You can buy a bike that retailed for $1500-$2500(i.e. nice frame and quality components with minimal wear) for around $1K or less, and often far less. It could be aluminum, carbon(?), or steel. Buying used will make your wife happier and leave you with some extra cash for other gear.

Where are you? What's your budget? What size are you looking for?
Old 01-24-22, 07:17 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
If you're looking at Tiagra, and still would like a carbon frame, take a look at one of the Fezzari Empire models (Empire Sport). 105? Look at the Comp. Empire – Fezzari Bicycles

I own a Fezzari, and love it. You'd have a hard time finding a carbon bike for that price. In fact, the Empire Sport sells for less than their ultralight carbon frameset! Oh, and it comes with 28 spoke wheels.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 01-24-22 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-24-22, 07:35 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Just buy a bike that fits and ride it.

Your concerns about carbon versus alloy, 105 vs. tiagra, etc. are noise.

Go enjoy yourself.
Old 01-24-22, 07:40 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 1,030 Posts
Honestly, this is one of those “if you have to ask, then no, it’s not worth it” situations. The levels of variability and nuance in the complete bike setup far outweigh the frame material choice, and if you understand what that means, you’ll know how frame material becomes relevant and won’t have to ask the “is it worth it” question. So no, it isn’t worth it to the OP.

Now, there may be extenuating circumstances, like the need to lift the bike to wall hooks or carry it upstairs, which would recommend getting the lightest bike you can afford, which would probably be carbon fiber. Or, perhaps you want to telegraph your accomplishment, taste, and means to your ridemates, which also might recommend carbon fiber.

But again, if you have to ask, then no, it’s not worth it.
Old 01-24-22, 09:04 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
FIRST- I won't say if carbon is worth the extra cost, but more importantly: If you haven't spent three hours or so on a road bike you may hate the radically different and aggressive position. I'm assuming the old Trek MTB has you sitting upright more than almost any performance road bike will position you. Fit is everything. Like a nice Italian suit, if it doesn't fit... not really worth the cost.
SECOND- Include your wife in this frivolous purchase of yet another bicycle. You don't want this to become a "bone of contention". She should consider the cost of the most mundane cardiac surgery.
THIRD- This being your first road bike you need to consider this as a learning experience. You may want something else (probably more expensive) sooner than you could imagine.
Old 01-24-22, 09:24 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
This being your first road bike you need to consider this as a learning experience. You may want something else (probably more expensive) sooner than you could imagine.
Ain't it the truth.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-24-22, 09:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Ride your current bike some more. When you know what it doesn't do well for you then you'll know what you need.

As a few others mentioned, the frame material is the least of your concerns.

Spend on a new bike what you can easily afford.
Old 01-24-22, 09:26 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Cycling is a hobby. Your purchases should never cause distress. If the additional $ for carbon causes even a little discomfort for you or your spouse, your choice is clear.

VERY SOUND ADVICE! Nobody here can tell you what you should spend your money or if its worth it. Some will say absolutely, some will say meh no.

I have both a Spec Allez Elite in Aluminum and a Argon 18 full carbon set up. Both have pro's and cons but WE the forum simply shouldn't not make financial decisions for you. Simply ride what you like and makes you happy...

I have the luxury of having the ability to have both...FWIW if I had to choose one, it would be carbon
Old 01-24-22, 09:51 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by rickster1
For those that have a Trek with the ISO system does it really make a difference in aiding in a smoother ride?
Yes. I made the move from a 2015 Giant Carbon bike to a new 2021 Domane. Domane is much smoother.
Old 01-24-22, 11:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
"Worth" is subjective, and hence no one can answer this for you.

You would get more on-point answers if you asked specific questions about the sort of ride and performance you want from your next bike.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-24-22, 11:07 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked 4,851 Times in 3,001 Posts

I'm having a hard time trying to justify the extra cost of carbon over aluminum?
Sort of answered your own question right there.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-24-22, 11:27 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Frame material doesn't matter, fit does. Make sure you have room for fatter tires, it gives you options, and tires really can smooth out the ride. A gravel bike makes a fine long day road bike, but road bikes can beat you up on gravel and chip seal.
Old 01-24-22, 12:06 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Sometimes a more useful question is "what else are you saving it for?" If there's something specific and important, well, there's your priority. If not, well... What I think everyone needs to find is a bike you really like, one you want to get on all the time, one that will last you through all the evolution your riding future might hold. If the enthusiasm is tempered, don't spend much. If the enthusiasm is ingrained and growing, look up the line. If you know you will be doing this for hours and hours every week for as far as you can see, then go big or go home.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 01-24-22, 12:15 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and was wondering are carbon road frames really worth the extra cost (sometimes as much as $1400 more)? I'm looking to buy my first road bike and after digging around I guess I'm looking of either 105 or Tiagra components, I have test rode Trek's Domane AL5 and SL5, Emonda SL5 and ALR5 as well as the Specialized Roubaix (I'm open to other brands and models).

I know the Domane is classed as an endurance bike and understand the difference between that and the Emonda's but when I test rode them, I really didn't feel any difference between them. This will probably be my first and only road bike since I tend to keep my gear in good shape, I currently ride an older Trek 830 on the roads that I have swapped the tires out to more of a road type tire. I also have a full suspension MTB for the trails.

I'm having a hard time trying to justify the extra cost of carbon over aluminum. For those that have a Trek with the ISO system does it really make a difference in aiding in a smoother ride?

A little bit about me- I'm 53 and in average shape, I recently lost about 80 lbs this past year (gained some back over the holidays), did my first bike challenge for kids' cancer back in Oct. (rode 410 miles), mostly ride on surfaced trails and country roads, I ride about 35-40 miles each time I ride and average 14 MPH on the old Trek.

I appreciate any comments and recommends that you may have for me as I try to decide what to purchase.

My wife asked me why I need another bike? So, I said you need one for the different type of road material (dirt, crushed limestone, asphalt/concrete, etc.) but I don't think she's buying it

Thanks,

Rick

I would say that for the most part, frame material does not mater. Carbon is more expensive, because of demand. It is lighter but if you are a bigger dude, it might not make any difference. Another issue is that carbon bikes can be more fragile and if you are rough on your stuff, you could easily do damage without much thought.

Aluminum has a reputation of being harsh but honestly, I think that trait is over-rated.

Tires have a much bigger impact upon comfort, so I would always go bigger on tires and think tubeless if you are riding on rough or bad roads.

Last edited by vespasianus; 01-24-22 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-24-22, 01:52 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
rickster1 I'd had a Trek dualsport for a few years and it'd been good, but I didn't ride it regularly. In 2021 though I started doing a lot more cycling than running, and decided in the fall to add a road bike. I ended up choosing the Domane line for its endurance geometry and was faced with the similar AL vs SL choice.

I ended up choosing the SL5. Partly for the isospeed - which I really notice vs my dualsport's frame, partly for the slick integration of the FlareRT tail light to the seat, partly for the internal storage compartment for multitool & tire repair kit, and partly since I've not had a carbon bike before and woulda wondered what-if. I did not have the opportunity to test ride an AL5, but I also doubt anyone would truly notice the difference in such a short time/distance.

I've been exceptionally happy with my SL5 and have zero regrets. I'd make the same choice again.

If you're one to keep a bike for a good while, as the possession of an 830 suggests, consider if the price difference is truly impactful over several years ownership.

Last edited by gpburdell; 01-24-22 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-24-22, 01:58 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
when I test rode them, I really didn't feel any difference between them.
I'm having a hard time trying to justify the extra cost of carbon over aluminum.
If the subtle differences between frame materials are imperceptible you, you're hardly alone. IMO, a good carbon fork is a great equalizer; that's where I'd more easily be able to justify spending $.
Likes For Rolla:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.