Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dawes Galaxy Appreciation Society!!!

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dawes Galaxy Appreciation Society!!!

Old 08-17-20, 08:54 AM
liquid_liquid 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Re: Caronight, check out this group to find those interested in Dawes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dawescycle

Last edited by liquid_liquid; 08-17-20 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-19-21, 08:36 PM
stefan320

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Caronight
Hi! My father found his 1980 Dawes Galaxy that he used to bike across Europe after high school and is looking for it to have a new and loving home. The bike is in great condition, with the exception of needing some new tubes! We weren’t sure where to begin trying to sell it, so I thought I’d reach out to you all and see if you knew someone looking for one or had recommendations of where to go. Thanks!!

I have photos too but can’t seem to post because I’m new around here
This was over a year ago, so not likely still around, but did you ever find a new home for it? I love 80s Dawes Galaxy's ...
Old 03-16-22, 07:24 PM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
Since appreciation threads never expire, I'll take advantage of the opportunity to add mine. I just bought it for the fair price of $70. It's a 72 by the date code on the RD. Most likely all original, especially if I believe the seller's story that found it hanging in someone's garage for the last 25 years, and bought it as an investment 10 years ago.
the paintwork isn't in the best shape but I plan on living with the patina to preserve the decals for now. I plan to upgrade derailleurs, possibly go with bar end shifters, a good varnished cloth wrap, gumwall tyres, and possibly full fenders. The shorties are going to a fellow C&V er.
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 05-01-22, 08:26 PM
blumayhem

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint, 1990 Bianchi Volpe, 1972 Dawes Galaxy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So weird! I just bought the same bike a few months ago

Well, obviously not the exact same bike. I bought my 1972 Galaxy from a guy in Massachusetts about 6 months ago for $70. It's that same gorgeous yellow. It's my first attempt at restoring a vintage bike. Am I reading correctly that you are also in Rhode Island?
Old 05-02-22, 06:10 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Originally Posted by blumayhem
Well, obviously not the exact same bike. I bought my 1972 Galaxy from a guy in Massachusetts about 6 months ago for $70. It's that same gorgeous yellow. It's my first attempt at restoring a vintage bike. Am I reading correctly that you are also in Rhode Island?
Yes, I'm in Scituate. About 5 minutes from the "village" and near the top of Chopmist Hill. So no matter which direction I go, it's downhill out and uphill back!
I've upgraded the derailleurs to period Huret stuff and moved shifting to the downtube. I gave the shorty fenders away and have a set of Chromoplast full fenders, though I haven't installed them yet. Still undecided. Don't look too close, the paintwork is somewhat shabby.
Old 05-02-22, 08:09 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Fun to look at these older bikes. I don't generally lust after them myself though. Of course the ones I know are sold on this side of the pond Just maybe if just the right bike came along, one that was exactly what i lusted after in 1970 or so...

If I were to have one I'd want it as period correct as possible. I'd dump the bar ends since I alway hated those, but since down tube are period correct and I like them I'd be okay. Pedals would be a problem for me if I actually wanted to tour on it though, I hate clips and straps and I really want a retension system on any bike I really ride. Clipless just seems sacreligious on a classic bike.

Another problem, The bikes I lusted after were likely to ren sew ups and I'd want to feel that lovely ride. Not sure i'd be willing to actually run them on tour though. Maybe the bike would have clipless and clinchers for touring and sew ups and clips and straps for indulging in nostalgic rides and hanging on the wall.
Old 05-02-22, 02:20 PM
blumayhem

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint, 1990 Bianchi Volpe, 1972 Dawes Galaxy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'72 Dawes Galaxy

Originally Posted by swampyankee2
Yes, I'm in Scituate. About 5 minutes from the "village" and near the top of Chopmist Hill. So no matter which direction I go, it's downhill out and uphill back!
I've upgraded the derailleurs to period Huret stuff and moved shifting to the downtube. I gave the shorty fenders away and have a set of Chromoplast full fenders, though I haven't installed them yet. Still undecided. Don't look too close, the paintwork is somewhat shabby.
I haven't made 10 posts yet so I can't port a photo of mine. But it is the twin of yours, right down to the faded decals and the shorty fenders (which I'm definitely keeping, as I like how quirky they are). Mine came with an old Avocet saddle, but I have intentions of putting on a B17 Special in Honey and doing the bars in fabric treated with shellac to match.
That's so funny. I'm from Scituate (I graduated in 1990 from Scituate High) and live in Johnston now.
I have upgraded the front and rear derailleurs to Suntour, with the rear being a V-GT Luxe. I'm stuck at the moment trying to get the freewheel off, but have managed to get it spinning again so I may just leave it for now.

I take part in the Providence Bike Jam and am hoping to have it up and running by the next one in May.

1972 Dawes Galaxy
Old 05-02-22, 03:40 PM
swampyankee2

Originally Posted by blumayhem
I haven't made 10 posts yet so I can't port a photo of mine. But it is the twin of yours, right down to the faded decals and the shorty fenders (which I'm definitely keeping, as I like how quirky they are). Mine came with an old Avocet saddle, but I have intentions of putting on a B17 Special in Honey and doing the bars in fabric treated with shellac to match.
That's so funny. I'm from Scituate (I graduated in 1990 from Scituate High) and live in Johnston now.
I have upgraded the front and rear derailleurs to Suntour, with the rear being a V-GT Luxe. I'm stuck at the moment trying to get the freewheel off, but have managed to get it spinning again so I may just leave it for now.

I take part in the Providence Bike Jam and am hoping to have it up and running by the next one in May.

1972 Dawes Galaxy
Yes, the V-GT Luxe was highly recommended by folks on this board but I wanted to keep mine Euro so I went with the Huret Challenger, using a downtube shifter from a parts bike. The paintwork on mine is borderline, but I want to try a matching touchup on the worst of it if I can get a good match. My frame could probably use to be one size smaller but it's not a problem once I'm rolling. I wish I had a smaller small ring than the 42t on it. It would make the hills around here a bit easier for this old codger.
Old 05-09-22, 05:13 AM
muse kidd

Bikes: 1979 Trek 412, 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts

My 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy... Visiting St. Brides Netherwent in Wales, 2020.