Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you really use your 11 cog to go faster?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you really use your 11 cog to go faster?

Old 12-02-15, 12:26 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Like most folks, I get "these ideas" from experience and observation. Of course someone who is practiced can modulate their speed finely from any cadence. It's been my observation that the steadiest wheels around often do maintain a high cadence, but spinners don't have a monopoly on that distinction, and some of the worst yo-yo-ers spin as fast as anyone - that is, when they aren't coasting.

I'm not sure what your example indicates either way, really. The 5 rpm cadence change is 5.5% for the guy starting at 90, 8.33% for the guy starting at 60 - of course it's going to make a bigger difference for the latter. It's also going to be far more noticeable in terms of effort - which gets to my point that, from any given speed, it's easier to accelerate more quickly with a higher starting cadence. Up to a point, the lower the cadence, the more sluggish acceleration tends to be. Anyone who has tried to take off again after slowing down to 5 mph or so while still on 53/11 knows this.
Not really, if you are soft pedalling at 17mph@60rpm, you can jump faster from that gear and accelerate than you can from 17mph@90rpm. Its only sluggish if you are in such a high gear that you bog. Which is why when people attack they downshift right before or during the jump. According to your logic they should jump from the same gear.
Old 12-02-15, 12:27 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Exactly my take upon looking at it, too; it gets used.

I honestly don't know which gears I use mostly, when, or what for, so that's why I went down to look at my wheel, and yeah, it looks like I get on it often enough, probably because the rolling terrain out here rewards carrying momentum, and if I have the opportunity to make speed downhill to save me some effort on the next uphill, I do. At 220lbs, it's not hard for me to gather the speed to be able to crank over the 53/11 for a bit down a gradual 6-7% slope before madly dumping gears to hump it up the other side.
Look at the wear on your other teeth, it gets used a lot less than the rest of the cassette
Old 12-02-15, 12:38 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Look at the wear on your other teeth, it gets used a lot less than the rest of the cassette
No shocker there.
Old 12-02-15, 05:13 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
Some people are simply more comfortable with a lower cadence. I have heard that there is some data or theory that equal speed with a lower cadence has a lower metabolic cost. Less stress on the cardio system anyway.
Not-Mrs-Humbug's old tri coach pushed for low cadence for precisely that reason. Personally, I never liked it (even for tri) and aren't we supposed to be leaning on our cardio, rather than strength, systems as much as possible, since they can be trained to last practically forever?
Old 12-02-15, 05:53 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Not-Mrs-Humbug's old tri coach pushed for low cadence for precisely that reason. Personally, I never liked it (even for tri) and aren't we supposed to be leaning on our cardio, rather than strength, systems as much as possible, since they can be trained to last practically forever?
Seems like a reasonable strategy for a triathlon. Riding the bike leg of a tri (or a time trial) is usually a fairly short duration event compared to the most common recreational riding formats, outside of Ironman competitions. Tax the muscles you won't need and give the cardio system a bit of recovery for the run.

Some of the best pro time trialists do push a huge gear at a relatively lower cadence for time trials -- because they can go faster for that shorter duration event. But they don't use that same setup or strategy for the regular road races/stages.
Old 12-02-15, 06:07 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redlude97
Not really, if you are soft pedalling at 17mph@60rpm, you can jump faster from that gear and accelerate than you can from 17mph@90rpm. Its only sluggish if you are in such a high gear that you bog. Which is why when people attack they downshift right before or during the jump. According to your logic they should jump from the same gear.
If someone is soft pedaling, there's no telling what gear he's in, because he's effectively coasting as far as power goes. If the rate at which one is turning the cranks doesn't require the application of force, then yes, of course one will be able to "jump" better. What I was describing was gearing that requires a low cadence for the given speed: indeed, one where lugging is more likely than jumping. Intentionally being in a gear where one is more likely to bog than to jump - because one doesn't want to be jerky - is exactly what I've been trying to describe. There may be better ways of controlling pace (practice, concentration, etc.) but this is something people do.
Old 12-02-15, 06:19 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
If someone is soft pedaling, there's no telling what gear he's in, because he's effectively coasting as far as power goes. If the rate at which one is turning the cranks doesn't require the application of force, then yes, of course one will be able to "jump" better. What I was describing was gearing that requires a low cadence for the given speed: indeed, one where lugging is more likely than jumping. Intentionally being in a gear where one is more likely to bog than to jump - because one doesn't want to be jerky - is exactly what I've been trying to describe. There may be better ways of controlling pace (practice, concentration, etc.) but this is something people do.
I've never met a single person who spun slowly to keep his inner stallion from accelerating with unintentional fury and risked running down the rider in front of him. I guess it's possible that such a misguided soul could exist though. The smoothest group riders I know all typically spin in the 90+ rpm range, and jerkiness is caused by stopping-starting rather than avoiding a normal cadence.
Old 12-03-15, 06:52 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes and yes.
I found the article I was thinking of that lower cadence = lower cost
My World From a Bicycle: The Ideal Cadence for Competitive Bicycling
He reviews the data that 120rpm is the most power output, but lower is more efficient. As power increases, the most efficient cadence increases too.

Here is the takeaway for our discussion:
"Lower cadences are more efficient for the vast majority of normal riders who do not have huge aerobic capacities and can not sustain large power outputs."

To bring this back to gearing, the weekend warrior does not have the aerobic ability to spin 53x12 as fast as a well trained athlete, so may be better served with a 53x11 (assuming the terrain calls for it, ie long downhills). The weekend warrior is not actually "spinning out" his max gear, he is just not trained to hold high cadence for very long, and is not efficient at it.

In my experience, my friend with the 54x11 does seem less tired after a pull than I do with 53x12, and my HR is higher. But that is anecdotal.
Old 12-03-15, 08:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by svtmike
I've never met a single person who spun slowly to keep his inner stallion from accelerating with unintentional fury and risked running down the rider in front of him. I guess it's possible that such a misguided soul could exist though. The smoothest group riders I know all typically spin in the 90+ rpm range, and jerkiness is caused by stopping-starting rather than avoiding a normal cadence.
Speaking from my own experience, I understand what @kbarch is saying, I think, so maybe I can relate it differently.

When I'm in a rotating paceline-- with, if local race results and Strava standings mean anything, some of the fastest folks around-- unless I'm at the front on a pull, I'm slowly turning a big gear, at high torque/tension, getting recovery while maintaining speed. I don't know what gear that is most commonly (I don't really pay attention), but maybe it's going at 80-85rpm or something around there; when I hit the front, I kick up the RPM to maintain speed in the face of increased wind resistance, maybe 90-95rpm.

Of course, that's in the context of a fast paceline, moving north of 20mph, which requires a good effort at front to pull. There would be, for me, no point to keeping my leg speed and HR up when I can achieve the same for less fatigue; I can dump that energy to greater effect on a climb, sprint zone, or final push.

But that's me. I can get 240-250w pretty easily at low RPM, low HR, and can punch up higher power easily at moderately high RPM, but I'm never happy spinning extended intervals at 110+ rpm. It's just too taxing for too little return outside short, high intensity efforts. I can get a lot done between 80 and 105rpm, including recovery and L7 power.
Old 12-03-15, 09:10 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Use what works for you
Old 12-03-15, 09:18 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Yes and yes.
I found the article I was thinking of that lower cadence = lower cost
My World From a Bicycle: The Ideal Cadence for Competitive Bicycling
He reviews the data that 120rpm is the most power output, but lower is more efficient. As power increases, the most efficient cadence increases too.

"Lower cadences are more efficient for the vast majority of normal riders who do not have huge aerobic capacities and can not sustain large power outputs."

To bring this back to gearing, the weekend warrior does not have the aerobic ability to spin 53x12 as fast as a well trained athlete, so may be better served with a 53x11 (assuming the terrain calls for it, ie long downhills). The weekend warrior is not actually "spinning out" his max gear, he is just not trained to hold high cadence for very long, and is not efficient at it.
+1. Good summary.
Old 12-03-15, 09:43 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
The hand-wringing that goes on at BF over gearing/cadence never ceases to amaze me.
I can't believe this discussion is still going.
Old 12-03-15, 09:58 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

To bring this back to gearing, the weekend warrior does not have the aerobic ability to spin 53x12 as fast as a well trained athlete, so may be better served with a 53x11 (assuming the terrain calls for it, ie long downhills).
So I guess one has to determine if they are a "weekend warrior" or a "trained athlete"
Old 12-03-15, 09:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by noodle soup
So I guess one has to determine if they are a "weekend warrior" or a "trained athlete"
I'm going with "athletic weekend warrior in training."
Old 12-03-15, 11:09 AM
svtmike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Speaking from my own experience, I understand what @kbarch is saying, I think, so maybe I can relate it differently.

When I'm in a rotating paceline-- with, if local race results and Strava standings mean anything, some of the fastest folks around-- unless I'm at the front on a pull, I'm slowly turning a big gear, at high torque/tension, getting recovery while maintaining speed. I don't know what gear that is most commonly (I don't really pay attention), but maybe it's going at 80-85rpm or something around there; when I hit the front, I kick up the RPM to maintain speed in the face of increased wind resistance, maybe 90-95rpm.

Of course, that's in the context of a fast paceline, moving north of 20mph, which requires a good effort at front to pull. There would be, for me, no point to keeping my leg speed and HR up when I can achieve the same for less fatigue; I can dump that energy to greater effect on a climb, sprint zone, or final push.

But that's me. I can get 240-250w pretty easily at low RPM, low HR, and can punch up higher power easily at moderately high RPM, but I'm never happy spinning extended intervals at 110+ rpm. It's just too taxing for too little return outside short, high intensity efforts. I can get a lot done between 80 and 105rpm, including recovery and L7 power.
I don't disagree with any of this. 80 to 105 is a very reasonable and typical cadence range. If you are using a 53-11 in a pace line at say mid 20 mph you will only be turning 60-70 rpm. That is outside the range where I find power modulation to be easy -- which is how I interpret the concept of bogging the legs. I know you are very familiar with power and know that even on the flats maintaining a steady pace can require some fairly big momentary adjustments in power output depending on variations in wind and grade. Being in a cadence range where your legs can simply comply with your wishes is essential to good pack riding.

Riding at too low a cadence is just a recipe for opening a gap.
Old 12-03-15, 12:21 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
With any luck, it can be pushed past 10 pages. Or spun quickly past 10 pages. I'm not sure if that's more efficient than pushing it with higher torque. Any advice?
Old 12-03-15, 01:10 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
With any luck, it can be pushed past 10 pages. Or spun quickly past 10 pages. I'm not sure if that's more efficient than pushing it with higher torque. Any advice?
Nice!
Old 12-03-15, 02:29 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by svtmike
Seems like a reasonable strategy for a triathlon. Riding the bike leg of a tri (or a time trial) is usually a fairly short duration event compared to the most common recreational riding formats, outside of Ironman competitions. Tax the muscles you won't need and give the cardio system a bit of recovery for the run.

Some of the best pro time trialists do push a huge gear at a relatively lower cadence for time trials -- because they can go faster for that shorter duration event. But they don't use that same setup or
strategy for the regular road races/stages.
For the record, this was in the context of Ironman, specifically. And I think it comes down to preference - I got faster the faster I spun in the bike legs of my (sprint-olympic) tris, and ran faster too.
Old 12-03-15, 02:30 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
What if the 11 cog is a SRAM Red?

Everyone knows red bikes are the fastest...
Old 12-03-15, 02:33 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
How does crank length affect all this?
Old 12-03-15, 02:47 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

It just won't die. Like the titanium vs steel thread, or the yelling.
Old 12-03-15, 03:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8258 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
It just won't die. Like the titanium vs steel thread, or the yelling.
except this thread is not interesting.
Old 12-03-15, 03:18 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Use what works for you
It only took 7 pages to get to the truth.
Old 12-03-15, 03:35 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by big john
except this thread is not interesting.
But you're still here.

Frankly, both of those threads are boring and pointless also.
Old 12-03-15, 03:45 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
How does crank length affect all this?
@PepeM, you get better power transfer by having a slightly longer crank arm on the drive side, say 175 vs 165 for the NDS.

Think about it, it's simple physics. The side with the spiky bits gets pushed in bigger circles because that's the circle that moves the little metal belt thing that makes you not stop.

I think it's safe to say that IF you're spinning out in your 12t, you should probably go to a longer drive side crankarm before upgrading to an 11t.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.