Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Spilled on ice hip broke

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Spilled on ice hip broke

Old 12-07-15, 08:46 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Spilled on ice hip broke

Out today for ride after a 6 mile run. Hit some ice turning right down on right hip. Bike ok but in the end crack in top or hip. Not out of align but still 3 screws in to hold I guess. Surgery in 12 hours. The deacon is praying if all well 3-6 months. Anyone with similar issue ever how did things go?
Old 12-07-15, 08:58 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Good luck. I hope it goes smoothly and heals well.
Old 12-07-15, 09:03 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Oh man I hurt reading that. Sure hope (and pray) your recovery moves quickly and successfully.
Old 12-07-15, 09:15 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
Brutal.
Old 12-07-15, 09:42 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
No fun. Sorry for your misfortune. This too shall pass.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-07-15, 09:46 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Out today for ride after a 6 mile run. Hit some ice turning right down on right hip. Bike ok but in the end crack in top or hip. Not out of align but still 3 screws in to hold I guess. Surgery in 12 hours. The deacon is praying if all well 3-6 months. Anyone with similar issue ever how did things go?
Happened to my best friend. Six months after the screws the surgeon said he's be better off with a hip replacement - which he did and it worked out very well. He's not running now but he's biking and hiking. Hope it works out well for you.
Old 12-07-15, 09:56 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
About four years ago I went down on my right hip. I was able to finish my ride and thought it was bruised and just sore. About a week later it finally displaced and man oh man talk about pain. The wife drove me to the ER and I was admitted. It was not only fractured but because of where the break was (right at the top of he femur where it attaches to the ball) it had to be replaced rather than repaired.
Long story short I was able to ride on the trainer after three weeks. Now I can ride as much as I want and as hard as I am able. In other words no limitations. Running is another story. Because of the high impact involved with running it would shorten the like of the hip replacement so I had to let it go, which for me was a major bummer since at the time I was more of a runner than a cyclist but I got over it. You may still be able to run since your hip is going to be repaired and not replaced. Good luck take your rehab seriously and you should be fine.
Old 12-07-15, 09:57 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
A good reminder to consider riding a bike with studded tires in icy conditions. They make a huge difference. (both in safety and increased rolling resistance!) Wishing you a full and speedy recovery Mr DM.
Old 12-07-15, 10:02 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Neighbor age 66 did same thing, jogging... operation that very day. Pinned. He seemed to be pretty much good to go after about 6 weeks.
Old 12-07-15, 10:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
OUCH!!!!!

I rode on ice/snow years ago. I haven't done that for quite some time. Oh, well, I did fall over playing on snow last year

There were a couple of icy patches I encountered. I was very careful on the short patches, ad walked across the one long patch of ice.

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
No fun. Sorry for your misfortune. This too shall pass.
Well, look forward to a lifetime of beeping wands at the airport.

Or, maybe the screws will be just small enough to get through.
Old 12-07-15, 10:15 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I broke my hip in February of 2014. It was an intertrochanteric fracture and I ended up getting an IM rod and a few screws.

As always, YMMV....

I had my ups and downs, that's for sure. I actually progressed on the bike a lot faster than I did off the bike. I was riding outdoors within 2 months and did my first century 3 months after the injury. I was still walking with a limp at that point.

Obviously there are bad things about breaking your hip, but there was one big positive for me. It motivated me to get moving on those goals that I was going to accomplish "some day". I rode across the country this summer, which was something I'd been wanting to do for over 10 years. It could have been over for me back in 2014. Luckily, it wasn't. I'm determined to ride as much as I can while I'm still physically able. I've Everested 3 times, I rode across the country, and this year I'll hit 15,000 miles. So yes, a part of you died when you broke your hip, but it's not completely over.

Here's the last update I did (5 months post surgery): Century Per Week: 5 Months Since Surgery

You can find some older ones if you scroll back in 2014. I didn't post a whole lot that year.
Old 12-07-15, 10:34 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Femoral Neck fracture. Like you, three screws installed.

Early June of 2014, and I was on the trainer in 6 weeks. Like @DXchulo, 200K in a little over 3 months, and the bike really was faster than life. Walking without a limp, tying my shoe, stuff like that, took a while. There are still very slight range of motion issues, but life is back to normal. You'll be fine, but patience is key, which can be difficult. Listen to the Dr. and keep weight off the thing till he says it's OK.

Positive thoughts for your recovery. Having good people in your corner is the biggest help of all, and I honestly had some saints in mine.

Last edited by LAJ; 12-08-15 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-07-15, 10:50 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Last two posts mentioned `walking with a limp` still at 3 months after surgery. Had a Fx NOF too, got on the outdoor bike at 32 days, was able to mount the bike, fully weighting the injured leg, by 47 days. However, I still limped at 7 months out.

It is my understanding that during surgery you are loaded into a traction table. When they insert the screws, your inner leg (adductor muscles) is the leverage point. I believe that the surgery itself can strain these adductors.

When I had some inhome therapy visits they mainly gave exercises for the glute on the injured side and never mentioned the inner leg. The best way to tone this is to squeeze a small, flexible ball between your legs. This exercise was the key for me, and within 3-5 days my limp started to go away. I was doing a lot with a loop band, but squeezing the ball was the deal maker.

Its too early for the Op to worry about the above. In the early stages of recovery, try using Epsom salt solutions on the lower legs. No need to soak all the way to the injured site. Make sure your walker and crutches are adjusted to fit you.

I still have the 3 cannulated screws 3 years later.
Old 12-07-15, 10:58 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Just one more reason to HATE winter and cold weather.

Hope you have a good recovery.
Old 12-07-15, 11:43 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Just a follow up sitting here in hospital. They did and EKG and 37 years of long distance running and cycling it sure is abnormal. It always has been and I have had high blood pressure since I was 12 years old no joke. Taking medicine for it since. I hope that does not delay the surgeon. I know him seen him before for others things over past 4 years generally minor. He is a parishioner were I am assign as a deacon for the diocese.

the break is at top of femor head across. 3 screws going right in the place it hit the road, that actually does not hurt it is the inside medial area at groin.

Last edited by deacon mark; 12-07-15 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 02:47 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Good luck with surgery.
Old 12-08-15, 03:09 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I had a dog that broke her hip. She recovered in a few weeks, but two years later someone poisoned her. I hope you have a better outcome.
Old 12-08-15, 06:13 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I fractured my ischium (sit bone) 2 years ago. No surgery but 8 weeks on resting, and then another 8 to get the strength back. I hope you heal well.
Old 12-08-15, 07:01 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I wish you a speedy recovery after surgery.

A month or so back I had a fall on wet pavement, landed on my hip and elbow. Luckily I wasn't going all that fast, so a bruised elbow and hip was all I got. But it did sideline my running for about a week.
Old 12-08-15, 07:07 AM
lupy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not cycling related, but I had a torn labrum and avascular necrosis in my hip. They repaired my labrum and did a core decompression of my hip. One of the first things they had me do in physical therapy was ride a bike before I was even allowed to stand on that leg. I still remember the first day they told me to put weight back on my right leg after 1 month of 0 weight bearing . Everything got all tingly and I was scared to death, but my leg was good to go.
Old 12-08-15, 07:25 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Very soory to hear of your accident. Good luck with the surgery.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-08-15, 08:42 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Remember to get titanium and not steel.
Old 12-08-15, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Cracked my Femur in a fall/crash onto a hard paved path in the late 70's .. chest to ankle cast on that side..

I needed a Bed Pan to poo, in & a GF to help ..
Old 12-08-15, 11:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Ouch.

Hope you get a quick and complete recovery.
Old 12-08-15, 11:07 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

Everyone should also be aware that similar falls happen in low water crossings.
They have stuff in the bottom that becomes super slippery when wet and wheels will just slide out from under you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.