Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Spilled on ice hip broke

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Spilled on ice hip broke

Old 12-08-15, 04:20 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a speedy healing and recovery.

The 50+ forum would probably have a good number of people dealing with broken hips.

GH
Old 12-08-15, 04:51 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Out today for ride after a 6 mile run. Hit some ice turning right down on right hip. Bike ok but in the end crack in top or hip. Not out of align but still 3 screws in to hold I guess. Surgery in 12 hours. The deacon is praying if all well 3-6 months. Anyone with similar issue ever how did things go?
Hip issues stink. I tore my labrum, the result of FAI, a few years ago. I was one week before my qualifying race for Boston when it first hit. I tried everything to get back but in the end, I had surgery on Nov. 10th. No running for awhile. The only thing that I can offer is to follow the advice of the PT's. You need to strengthen that hip after surgery. It will heal but it will take time. I did ride my mtb for about 3 miles last week with my son. It lit my hip up big time so I have not gotten on it since. I will try again this weekend.
Take care and good luck.
Old 12-08-15, 05:36 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Update surgery came out at 11 am. Feel much better no real pain other than incision area. Did 4 laps walking unassisted no crutches or walker. Hope this keeps up. Actually sitting on a trainer is probably doable. Running not happening soon but I will take it. Little fear of returning to riding now with crashes. I appreciate others chiming it seems BF group of like folks with understanding.
Old 12-08-15, 07:17 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Update surgery came out at 11 am. Feel much better no real pain other than incision area. Did 4 laps walking unassisted no crutches or walker. Hope this keeps up. Actually sitting on a trainer is probably doable. Running not happening soon but I will take it. Little fear of returning to riding now with crashes. I appreciate others chiming it seems BF group of like folks with understanding.
Take it easy on it even if it feels good now. I had arthroscopic knee surgery earlier this year, and the best the knee felt until a couple months after surgery was the first day or two after. Once the swelling goes down post-op you might find it's a bit more ornery.
Old 12-08-15, 07:23 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One of the main reasons I stay on the trainer with wet or sub zero conditions, not worth the added risk to me with downtime, pain, loss of work etc, sorry for your accident though my friend hope for a speedy and full recovery!
Old 12-08-15, 09:06 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Glad to hear the surgery went well. They do like to get you out of bed quickly keep moving but take it slow for a while. Remember you may still be feeling the anesthesia and pain meds. I would not think about riding outside while it is wet and cold - spring sounds good
When I was recovering I went to PT and would come home and ride the trainer. Not much chance of falling off that.
Old 12-08-15, 10:40 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I once nearly shattered my tibia on a bad fall on gravel.

No surgery was needed but I needed lots of physical therapy to put it in good use again.

Note: if you don't feel confident about riding over snow and ice get off and walk with the bike. Don't be stupid.
Old 12-09-15, 06:29 PM
doug59

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Best of luck for a speedy recovery!!