Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 02-19-19, 10:26 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by OhLylo
This afternoon is gonna be interesting because I'm donating blood. I'm gonna ride to the hospital from work, and then home from the hospital is only 1 mile, but it's probably gonna be quite the affair. I think I'm gonna pound a bunch of ice cream, pedal super slowly 1 mile home, and then sleep for like 12 hours. Wish me luck.
Thank you for donating! Just a mile home will be a breeze (unless there's a gale of a headwind, of course!). Just make sure you're well hydrated (and no, a jumbo margarita doesn't count as hydration, although it'll give you a hell of a buzz! and no, don't ask how I know). I usually felt the donation more on days 2-4 after donating than the day of.
Old 02-19-19, 10:32 AM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Thank you for donating! Just a mile home will be a breeze (unless there's a gale of a headwind, of course!). Just make sure you're well hydrated (and no, a jumbo margarita doesn't count as hydration, although it'll give you a hell of a buzz! and no, don't ask how I know). I usually felt the donation more on days 2-4 after donating than the day of.
I appreciate ya! My mom is in the 10 gallon club so I've got some work to do catching up to her. I'm definitely gonna stick to hydrating fluids and leave the, erm, adult beverages for a day when I'm not down a pint on a work night, haha. The wind forecast is 3 kts to the south, so I expect the ride home will be straightforward. Tomorrow might be rough, though
Old 02-19-19, 10:43 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
38F, gray, buzzed by bald eagle.

MUP apparently plowed, shoulders/bike lanes still a mess. No problem hugging the fog line though.
Old 02-19-19, 11:18 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Cold. This winter is starting to feel long. More icy stuff coming tonight so probably won't ride tomorrow, but temps rising toward end of the week. Spring is coming!
Old 02-19-19, 12:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I brought the MTB today and not the trike. Starting to get that "last time I'll be able to before..." feeling in a lot of what I do and this is one of them. After this week the MTB is going in the back of the garage and not sure when it's coming out again. The tandem and the Paramount are already there.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-19-19 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 02:34 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Saw hi 20F this morning on the way in and hope the weather forecast is correct regarding my ride home. Getting darker out there
Old 02-19-19, 05:17 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I thought I was done with shakedown cruises but maybe not. I didn’t have the tools handy to fix this dumb mistake I made. It was making a scuffing noise like a dragging disk and shifting a little strange... Also might sweep the handlebars back a little for a perfectly neutral wrist
What was going on? Chain rubbing on the stay? I might be missing the problem. And how did you solve it?
Old 02-19-19, 05:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
What was going on? Chain rubbing on the stay? I might be missing the problem.
I ran the chain under the stay.
Old 02-19-19, 06:10 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I ran the chain under the stay.
Is it supposed to go over? I have no knowledge of these trikes, and it looks like there isn't enough tension to run it over (unless you extend that tube or something).
Old 02-19-19, 06:25 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Cold and wet, both ways, the low lying portions of the trail already filled up enough to drag my chain through the water. It's supposed to rain through the weekend with storms here and there so I'll probably be staying off the Greenway for the rest of the week.
Old 02-19-19, 06:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Is it supposed to go over? I have no knowledge of these trikes, and it looks like there isn't enough tension to run it over (unless you extend that tube or something).
The upper run rests on the stay when not pedaling because the derailleur doesn't make enough tension to hold up the weight of 3x more chain than a regular bike. That's why it has the chain tube and idler. But when pedaled the tension pulls it straight and since it was under the stay it rubbed.

There is something that still confuses me. The Terra Trike website has a screed about cross chaining of the type you see here on BF that would make total sense when applied to a regular bike. But the trike has an idler in the lower run and a chain tube on the upper run in the middle of the trike that keeps the chain line in the same place at all times. It's literally impossible to cross chain.
Old 02-19-19, 06:33 PM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Morning Commute 27°F, 7mph wind, sunny

Evening Commute 36°F, 11mph wind, overcast

The fire engines from last night were because of a fairly major housefire caused by a bad kerosene heater. So mystery solved. Today had fairly normal traffic, no exceptional incidents and only one guy I felt like giving a single finger salute.

Calling for fairly heavy rain tomorrow so I'll probably just bus it to work.
Old 02-20-19, 07:11 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
The sleet on my way home last night only hurt on the last big hill where I get up to 30mph. That stung a bit. I have a neighbor that I see regularly on the closest to home half of my route. Last night he passed me, went up a bit and turned around to ask if I was okay. He drives a pick-up so it would have been easy to toss my bike in the back and ride home with him. I only had about 3 miles left and wasn't cold or really wet even. I told him I was fine but thanks. Very nice of him to check on me.

This morning it is raining and about 36F. Taking the car is usually not an option, or at least makes things complicated for the family if I do. But today I could take the car without that. I got dressed to ride anyway and left the house in what seemed like pretty light rain. A quarter mile in my face was already pretty wet and cold. I decided to turn around, go home and drive instead. So instead of cold and wet I arrived to work warm and dry, especially since I used the heated car seat.
Old 02-20-19, 08:14 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Ugh this new bike just can't handle the ruts. Might have to go back to the old bike with 26's. 33 and little wind so was a pretty good ride overall.
Old 02-20-19, 09:00 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I had the most difficult road conditions I've faced yet. We had some freezing rain through the night that changed to snow around 6AM. By the time I left the house there was about 2" on the ground. It kept coming down hard, alternating between big wet flakes and pelting sleet until about the time I arrived at work. The roads were mostly unplowed with 0.5-1" of packed snow on top of a thin layer of ice. Traction, even with my studded tires was terrible. I took the sidewalks and bike paths when I could. Wasn't as slippery there, but I had to plow through a few inches of fresh snow. But I got to work, without a wipeout. I'm glad my ride is short.

Should be better on the way home. It's supposed to warm up into the 40's with some rain for the commute back home. I'm expecting it to be wet and sloppy, but less treacherous.
Old 02-20-19, 09:47 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
holy freezing rain, batman!

i probably made the wrong call this morning and rode into work.

after 8 miles of it, me and my bicycle were fully encased in a layer of ice.

icicles were forming on the visor of my helmet and from the ends of my handle bars.

i should have taken a picture, but my phone was buried too deep in my bike bag to dig it out.

but thank Pizza God for studded tires! steady and true in some woefully slippery/sloppy conditions.
Old 02-20-19, 10:50 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

35F, misty, completely 100% uneventful
Old 02-20-19, 02:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I want to mark today’s ride statistics. This is my last commute before my surgery. I’m feeling good today, as good as I can. With my condition I have two competing ceilings, my chest pain or my medications. This is about the best balance I get. Most of my rides are closer to 100W and less than 9 mph.

The surgery is not a cure for my enlarged heart. It will still be stiff and low volume. But the chest pain and maybe my need for blood pressure meds should disappear. The recovery is more about the sternum than the heart. I'll be on the trike at the end of April, I hope, and back on a regular bike in autumn. I probably won't do anything that challenges the bike's suspension for a year.

I’ll return to this in 6mo and a year and see how I’m doing.

Edit: the ride home was much more typical. I’ll save it too

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-21-19 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 02:48 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Drove today. winter advisory and people driving in freezing rain around here are idiots. I rode home yesterday in freezing rain. I was hoping for some snowflurries but no luck .
Old 02-20-19, 10:50 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
After two days driving due to winter storm, snow and wind, this morning I headed out in low-wind sunshine with a starting temp of 9F finishing at 18F at the office.
Old 02-21-19, 07:07 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Bailed again on the ride this morning. But my wife dropped me and the bike off so I'll probably ride home. Just wet and cold out. And supposed to continue through Saturday.
Old 02-21-19, 07:30 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Just took the bus yesterday because rain. Back on the bike today. 32 degrees, calm winds, sunny. It's getting to the sun directly in my eyes in the morning due to heading directly east time of year again.
Old 02-21-19, 08:22 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Yesterday it was above freezing and raining so the previous snow was mostly slush. I assumed (there's that word) that this morning it would all be gone and mostly was... except for a couple sections of MUP, and at 28F those sections of slush had turned to rutted ice. Slipping wasn't the issue. it was maintaining control while bouncing around, because of course I didn't slow down. Almost lost it once and that was enough to scare the crap outta me and then I did slow down. Yay winter...
Old 02-21-19, 08:38 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Back in the saddle again. I chickened out the last couple of days because of the weather forecast, and after two days when I'd have had one commute in light rain, I decided to risk it. Sure, there's floods in the area, and a few districts canceled school today because of the flooding, but it's not where I live. I guess I need to listen to myself when I tell people, "Just because it's a rainy day doesn't mean it's going to rain all day, or even at all when I'm riding."

So cool, darkly overcast and damp, but not raining. And instead of balancing badge, coffee, umbrella, and a bag full of stuff after parking 200 yards from the door, I got the bike rack parking spot 15 yards from my office door.
Old 02-21-19, 10:38 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

27F, sunny. Tail light battery dead, forgot to charge it last night. Did not get rear-ended. Charging now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.