Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice on locks for Colorado trip

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-11-21, 12:28 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts

I'm going to Colorado Springs & Estes Park this summer with the wife and bikes. We would ride to restaurants and such. How bad is bike theft there and what locks would you recommend. I would need to lock together 3 bikes so it will need to be long.

I usually just carry a cheap cable lock for 1 hr stops where I normally ride because bike thefts is pretty rare and almost unheard of if you use any type of lock.
Old 05-11-21, 12:39 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Leave 18 of these with the Bikes and enjoy your meal.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-11-21, 01:30 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
If you're going to be in downtown CS, there are quite a few bike racks throughout. If on the outlying areas, they are hit and miss. There are many bike paths and bike lanes throughout the city and it's a great place to be a cyclist. I'm sure there are thieves all around the city, but a lock, any lock, might discourage someone from walking off with your bikes during the day and early evening. At night, all bets are off. Estes Park I know nothing about. I grew up in the Springs and my mom and sister still live there but the last time I was in EP, I may have had a on diaper (I'm 53 now). I know a lot of tourists head there and it's a smallish town, but I would still recommend a lock for expended absences from your bikes.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 05-11-21, 01:42 PM
Razorrock

Thanks Snotrub, sounds a lot like what i'm used too. I read these post on here how people have to lock their bikes up with 3 different locks and wasn't sure what that area is like.

We're staying just west of Colorado Springs at the Buffalo Lodge Bicycle Resort. From there we will ride out to the Garden of the Gods. At Estes Park we will be in downtown. That's where we'll probably ride to everything shopping and eating wise.
Old 05-11-21, 01:55 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
You'll like Garden of the Gods. The roads through the park are very hilly, so be prepared. I think they closed most of the roads that lead to the main trading post, but I'm not sure which ones. I used to rock climb there quite a bit before they shut everything off. I highly recommend the Phantom Canyon Brew pub for lunch or dinner. They were the first micro brewery in town and in my opinion, the best. Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-11-21, 03:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'd go with any decent U-lock -- Kryptonite, OnGuard or Abus. Those will require a portable grinder or massive bolt cutter to defeat.

Almost any cable can be cut with relatively small cutters, although short handled cutters will require some chewing and gnawing to cut through thicker cables.

I've seen a lot of ultra light locks that supposedly serve as deterrents against opportunistic grab-and-go theft, mostly for cafe stops. But most of those are overpriced relative to the theft deterrence. I don't carry any lock on my carbon fiber road bike rides because I don't leave the bike unattended. If I can't bring it inside, I don't stop or shop there.

On grocery and errand rides I usually pack two U-locks or one U-lock and a cable to thread through the wheels. It's just a deterrent against opportunists with a concealable snipper. I only lock up within sight of the store's front door, so any thief would be pretty obvious. I don't live in an area where people passing by would merely ignore an obvious thief wielding 4-foot-long cutters, or showering the place with sparks from a portable grinder. They'd call a cop, notify the store manager or confront the thief. But there are some cities where thieves operate with impunity as people pass by ignoring the obvious theft.
Old 05-11-21, 07:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,924 Times in 4,665 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I'd go with any decent U-lock -- Kryptonite, OnGuard or Abus. Those will require a portable grinder or massive bolt cutter to defeat.

Almost any cable can be cut with relatively small cutters, although short handled cutters will require some chewing and gnawing to cut through thicker cables.

I've seen a lot of ultra light locks that supposedly serve as deterrents against opportunistic grab-and-go theft, mostly for cafe stops. But most of those are overpriced relative to the theft deterrence. I don't carry any lock on my carbon fiber road bike rides because I don't leave the bike unattended. If I can't bring it inside, I don't stop or shop there.

On grocery and errand rides I usually pack two U-locks or one U-lock and a cable to thread through the wheels. It's just a deterrent against opportunists with a concealable snipper. I only lock up within sight of the store's front door, so any thief would be pretty obvious. I don't live in an area where people passing by would merely ignore an obvious thief wielding 4-foot-long cutters, or showering the place with sparks from a portable grinder. They'd call a cop, notify the store manager or confront the thief. But there are some cities where thieves operate with impunity as people pass by ignoring the obvious theft.
This is good advice. I would recommend three U-locks and one looong cable (or two or three shorter cables). Make sure the cable(s) run through all frames, and have each bike locked to something stationary (ideally, a rack) at least through its front wheel, which is pretty easy.

Another option is to just buy three U-locks and lock the frames to each other, with the third lock attaching the whole package to a rack. That's tougher to defeat - also cheaper and lighter.

I've had to defeat a few such locks, and even the thick cables are easily cut -- but a good U-lock takes about five minutes with a hacksaw. It can be done more quickly with an angle grinder, but I wouldn't expect that in the locations you're visiting.
Old 05-12-21, 03:44 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock
Thanks Snotrub, sounds a lot like what i'm used too. I read these post on here how people have to lock their bikes up with 3 different locks and wasn't sure what that area is like.

We're staying just west of Colorado Springs at the Buffalo Lodge Bicycle Resort. From there we will ride out to the Garden of the Gods. At Estes Park we will be in downtown. That's where we'll probably ride to everything shopping and eating wise.
You won't have a problem in Estes Park. It's a small tourist town at the entrance to Rocky Mountain Natl. Park, so they take "tourism" pretty seriously..meaning the police are out in force,both on foot and cars, I haven't been there in a while,but i do remember that there was a lot of traffic on the main street,both cars and pedestrians,so keep that in mind when riding there. Expect to see some elk wandering there,especially around where the Stanley Hotel is located.. John

ps- When in Colo Springs,check out Cripple Creek
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 05-12-21, 07:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Razorrock
I've lived and biked (and bike commuted) here in Colorado Springs for 29 years. I grew up in Chicago, so I always take precautions against bike and car theft, but Colorado Springs isn't Chicago, or even Denver in terms of bike theft...not yet. But still, I wouldn't leave my bikes locked up outside overnight.

Downtown is small and quaint for a city this size, and there are many improperly locked bikes that make easier targets than properly locked bikes. In most parts of town I feel comfortable locking my bike during the day for an hour or two with a thick cable chain through the wheels and frames. I take my bike computer and water bottle with me. Anything that can easily be removed and walked away with by the indigent. If your seats are quick release, make sure you lock those, too.

Central and North are pretty safe. South, near-east and south-east are lower-income and tend to have higher crime as a result, but still, not anything like even medium-sized cities.

My advice is if you are thinking about upgrading your lock...do it. You probably won't need it, but it will bring you peace of mind and help you enjoy your vacation.

By the way, this is goat-head thorn country. You'll need puncture-resistant tires, tire-sealant or tire-liners. I've been running tire-liners for almost 20-years and they made a huge difference! As a daily rider, before tire liners I would flat about twice a month. Since tire protection, maybe 1-2 times a year.

Also, Colorado Springs is about 6500' up (7250' on the north end), Estes Park is 7500'. You may find yourself a little short of breath the first few days. And COVER UP! You'll sunburn faster than you realize (Don't forget your neck.)

I don't know where you are staying, but one other bike option is to leave your bikes in your hotel room and use the Pike Ride bike share bikes to head downtown or over to Old Colorado City. https://www.pikeride.org/
(They have a map of their area of operation.) They're not everybody's style of riding, but they're electric assist, which you may appreciate with the hills here and at our altitude.

Colorado Springs is a fantastic bike town...I'm sure you will enjoy it!

https://www.bikesprings.org/Ride-Resources
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 05-12-21, 08:05 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Leave 18 of these with the Bikes and enjoy your meal.

Yeah- there’s sooooo much great beer in CO. If you leave that garbage piled on your bikes people will figure it’s the recycling trash.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-13-21, 07:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 1,024 Posts

Novara Buzz w/ Xootr rack and bag

What you barely notice velcro-strapped to the top tube of the above bike is a TiGr bow lock. In addition to stowing handily, quickly, and unobtrusively, it’s long enough to secure three bikes together through the frames; I’ve done it often with my family. It’s also light weight and carries silently, without moving and rattling. There is a small cylinder lock which I drop in a pants pocket or bag.

I think it’s great being able to jump on the bike and ride without having to figure out where to put a bulky, awkward lock…let alone multiple bulky, awkward locks.

It’s not inexpensive, but as Ferris Bueller said, “It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly suggest picking one up.”
Likes For chaadster:
Old 05-13-21, 08:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
I am confused. How will your wife and you ride three bike to restaurants, etc.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-13-21, 10:41 AM
Razorrock

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am confused. How will your wife and you ride three bike to restaurants, etc.
I ghost ride the third just in case one gets stolen

My 10 year old is also with us..
Likes For Razorrock:
Old 05-13-21, 11:25 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock
I ghost ride the third just in case one gets stolen

My 10 year old is also with us..
Why can’t he wait outside and watch the bikes?
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-13-21, 12:11 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Rats... Less than 10 USD even if I carry locks, chains, and cables... What are we gonna do?

Old 05-13-21, 12:49 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

Novara Buzz w/ Xootr rack and bag

What you barely notice velcro-strapped to the top tube of the above bike is a TiGr bow lock. In addition to stowing handily, quickly, and unobtrusively, it’s long enough to secure three bikes together through the frames; I’ve done it often with my family. It’s also light weight and carries silently, without moving and rattling. There is a small cylinder lock which I drop in a pants pocket or bag.

I think it’s great being able to jump on the bike and ride without having to figure out where to put a bulky, awkward lock…let alone multiple bulky, awkward locks.

It’s not inexpensive, but as Ferris Bueller said, “It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly suggest picking one up.”
Very interesting. I've seen their smaller more "contorted" locks but not this long thing!
Old 05-13-21, 02:19 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Very interesting. I've seen their smaller more "contorted" locks but not this long thing!
Yeah...this is one of the original Longs, back when they offered only this style, but in two lengths. TiGr still offer the bow today, improved with reinforcements at the lock end, but in only one, Standard length.

https://tigrlock.com/collections/tig...tandard-length

I actually have a super thick, extra short prototype bow which is quite a heavy duty piece, so hefty and inflexible I don’t even use it unless I’m locking up somewhere really sketchy.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 05-13-21, 02:22 PM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Impressive - 15 ounces for the .75-inch-wide version (no longer on TiGr's web site) and 24 ounces for the 1.25-inch-wide model. $175 is a lot though.

I once tried to drill a hole through a thin, light-weight titanium tube using a steel bit in a bench-mounted drill press. It was tough. I eventually got through the thin-wall titanium tube but my steel drill bit melted. I was very impressed.
Likes For Motorazr:
Old 05-13-21, 06:11 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Yeah...this is one of the original Longs, back when they offered only this style, but in two lengths. TiGr still offer the bow today, improved with reinforcements at the lock end, but in only one, Standard length.

https://tigrlock.com/collections/tig...tandard-length

I actually have a super thick, extra short prototype bow which is quite a heavy duty piece, so hefty and inflexible I don’t even use it unless I’m locking up somewhere really sketchy.
Oh, I wondered about length as I saw mention of different lengths but I guess they moved to ONE length. I might have missed it but I did not see dimensions - just STANDARD.

Seems a number of their videos were filmed here in Seattle although I think on their website, the address is NJ??
Old 05-13-21, 06:47 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Colorado Springs is remarkably shady. Hoods just about everywhere. I actually don't trust the people around to stay out of my car if I run in at the gas station.

Lots of really great people in that city, but the scuz element is extremely high. I definitely feel safer in Denver and Pueblo. I work in the Springs but commute.

Your only decent option is to eat at a place with an outdoor patio and sit next to your bike. People do this all the time there so it's not weird.