Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where the Boyd wheel lovers at?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-27-15, 06:17 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I'm looking at the 30mm Rouleur Clinchers. They're at a good price right now and I like what I'm reading about them. On paper they sound great.

Anybody have experience, positive or negative, regarding owning and/or riding Boyd wheels? Any feedback as far as dealing directly with Boyd?

I sent a very specific email to them about 24 hours ago with no response. I'm sure they are very busy and I'd not call them unresponsive at this point. I'm very serious about checking them out.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 08-27-15, 06:44 PM
stlcowboyfan

Bikes: 2014 Fuji SST 1.3 Frame set build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
I'm looking at the 30mm Rouleur Clinchers. They're at a good price right now and I like what I'm reading about them. On paper they sound great.

Anybody have experience, positive or negative, regarding owning and/or riding Boyd wheels? Any feedback as far as dealing directly with Boyd?

I sent a very specific email to them about 24 hours ago with no response. I'm sure they are very busy and I'd not call them unresponsive at this point. I'm very serious about checking them out.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
I had a set of their 30mm Rouleur Clinchers on my Trek last year. They were a huge improvement from the (I'm guessing Alex rims) that came on my 1.2. They look good and I got a lot of compliments. Definitely climbed better. The freewheel is pretty loud...but I like that kind of thing. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my stock wheels, because I would have put them back on the Trek when I sold it and kept the Boyd's. Only thing that would've made them better is if they were wide wheels...but then, I guess they would have been Altamonts, lol.
Old 08-27-15, 06:57 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They be around.
Old 08-27-15, 07:01 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I've got over 2,000 miles on the Altimonts I bought this spring.
Nice looking, extremely true, and well tensioned, just a solid hand built wheel.
When checking them out, I both emailed and spoke with Boyd, very satisfied with my wheels, and my purchasing experience.
Old 08-27-15, 07:01 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I have 2 sets of Boyd Altamont's, 1 rim brake and 1 Disc brake. Excellent wheel in my opinion..

Old 08-27-15, 08:00 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
i think i'm over 3k on my boyd vitesses and they've only needed a slight truing on the rear. Would def recommend
Old 08-27-15, 08:11 PM
RickB.

Bikes: '04 Cannondale R1000, Haluzak Horizon recumbent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a great experience purchasing a set of Boyd Vitesse wheels a few years ago. I thought they were great wheels. I regret selling them with my old bike. I am also looking to get a set of the Rouleur wheels as an upgrade for my current ride... I think its a great deal, but can't quite decide between those and the Pure Race from BicycleWheelWarehouse........

Old 08-27-15, 08:15 PM
RedVVing19

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering they are at Eurobike, your response time might get delayed
Old 08-27-15, 08:23 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stlcowboyfan
I had a set of their 30mm Rouleur Clinchers on my Trek last year. They were a huge improvement from the (I'm guessing Alex rims) that came on my 1.2. They look good and I got a lot of compliments. Definitely climbed better. The freewheel is pretty loud...but I like that kind of thing. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my stock wheels, because I would have put them back on the Trek when I sold it and kept the Boyd's. Only thing that would've made them better is if they were wide wheels...but then, I guess they would have been Altamonts, lol.
I'm not really into loud freewheels, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Reading the specs tells me the pawls engage quickly, which is more important than the sound they make. I'm really looking for strong wheels. Lighter is better, up to a point, but strength and stiffness is most important to me.
Old 08-27-15, 08:52 PM
stlcowboyfan

Bikes: 2014 Fuji SST 1.3 Frame set build

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not really into loud freewheels, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Reading the specs tells me the pawls engage quickly, which is more important than the sound they make. I'm really looking for strong wheels. Lighter is better, up to a point, but strength and stiffness is most important to me.
I'm 6/220 and they didn't flex on me when out of the saddle, climbing...if that helps
Old 08-27-15, 08:58 PM
RickB.

Bikes: '04 Cannondale R1000, Haluzak Horizon recumbent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, my Vitesse wheels with 24/28 spokes never needed any maintenance under my 200 pounds in the 2 years that I had them...
Old 08-27-15, 09:08 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stlcowboyfan
I'm 6/220 and they didn't flex on me when out of the saddle, climbing...if that helps
Originally Posted by RickB.
Ya, my Vitesse wheels with 24/28 spokes never needed any maintenance under my 200 pounds in the 2 years that I had them...
Good to know, thanks. I'm right about at 170 lbs, wondering if I could get by with the 20/24 count. I'm sure they'd be strong enough, but I want less flex and more power transfer above saving a few grams of weight.
Old 08-27-15, 10:00 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Have over 10,000 miles on my Rouleur Clinchers. Re-trued (sp) once. I highly recommend. CoachBoyd has always been great at getting back. Like mentioned before, its probably the eurobike thing.
Old 08-27-15, 11:13 PM
mrtrinh

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't any experience with the Rouleur clinchers but currently love their carbon clinchers. I recommend calling and speaking with them over the phone. Awesome customer service
Old 08-28-15, 12:16 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Excellent wheels from an excellent company. I ride their 44 carbon tubular wheels and they are 'da bomb!' Very fast, very stiff, great climbing wheels, very stable in the cross wind, and the hubs are great too! I would not say that the sound from the rear hub is bothersome at all. If you have ever ridden a set of Chris King hubs, the Boyds' have a similar buzzing bee sound but at fast speed you won't hear it, the guys behind you will.
Old 08-28-15, 12:44 AM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have Boyd Vitesse wheels and like them very much with 7k miles on them. The freewheel is noisy if that matters.
Old 08-28-15, 04:28 AM
rlsmith17

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek XCaliber 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 44 carbon clinchers and the Altamonts that I bought on black Friday last year (24/28 spoke). These are the first aftermarket wheels that I have ever bought & have been worth every penny. As others have said, they look great, roll well and climb very well. I had a lot of questions to ask prior to purchasing and had several emails to/from Boyd to help me decide which wheels i wanted to go with. Great product and great customer service.
He posted on FB/Twitter earlier this week about the new 28mm carbon wheels that getting ready to launch. Great looking wheel.
Old 08-28-15, 04:46 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I work in an LBS that handles Boyds. About a year ago we had an issue where three customers who had bought Boyd wheels at about the same time had problems with what looked like carbon rims delaminating, it was apparently a bad batch of rims. Boyd made it right in about a week, including shipping both ways, with no hassles. Good company to deal with. I'm running Boyd 44mm carbon clinchers on my main bike and like them.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-28-15, 05:19 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I work in an LBS that handles Boyds. About a year ago we had an issue where three customers who had bought Boyd wheels at about the same time had problems with what looked like carbon rims delaminating, it was apparently a bad batch of rims. Boyd made it right in about a week, including shipping both ways, with no hassles. Good company to deal with. I'm running Boyd 44mm carbon clinchers on my main bike and like them.
A person that I ride with also had a set of wheels from that batch, and even as an individual (not a shop), received fast, problem free wheel replacement. In the group of roughly 20 folks that I ride with, there are four sets of Boyd wheels.
Old 08-28-15, 05:26 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Satisfied Altamont owner here. I got a crash replacement wheel last month, and dealt with Boyd directly. Prompt and courteous communication!
Old 08-28-15, 05:31 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike F
Have over 10,000 miles on my Rouleur Clinchers. Re-trued (sp) once. I highly recommend. CoachBoyd has always been great at getting back. Like mentioned before, its probably the eurobike thing.
Originally Posted by RedVVing19
Considering they are at Eurobike, your response time might get delayed
I did get a return message, apologizing for the delay and explaining that they are at Eurobike. Didn't get a specific recommendation for spoke count for me. I'll try to call them during my lunch break today.
Old 08-28-15, 05:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I've seriously been looking at the Altamonts.. also looking at the November Ti Nimbus wheels with the Pacenti wide rims (ie. November Bicycles: Race smart. - Alloy Nimbus Ti Wheelsets )
Hard to decide..
Old 08-28-15, 06:13 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I have a set of the 38mm carbon tubulars with about 10k miles on them and they've been absolutely bomb proof.

Old 08-28-15, 06:50 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I did get a return message, apologizing for the delay and explaining that they are at Eurobike. Didn't get a specific recommendation for spoke count for me. I'll try to call them during my lunch break today.
They recommend the lower spoke count for riders up to 180, don't they? If you are 170, well, that puts you under their recommended weight limit so I would go for those.
Old 08-28-15, 11:33 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Another satisfied Boyd customer. 3 or 4 yrs now (I lost track) problem free on stiff as hell 50/58 CC's. Everyday wheels and I love them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.