Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Madison Speed

Old 12-15-19, 07:53 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Madison Speed

The Madison race in New Zealand went 58km/h for 50km 😳 what kind of gears are Madison racers riding now?
Old 12-16-19, 07:59 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
madison?

jk.
Likes For queerpunk:
Old 12-16-19, 01:38 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
That is only a couple mph faster than our Madison - I posted the strava data here a couple about a month ago. We run 88"
Old 12-16-19, 04:07 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
It was a fast race. Everybody is starting their build towards the Olympic Games. Riders are flying. Lambie had his WR lowered twice.
Old 12-17-19, 08:30 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
The Madison race in New Zealand went 58km/h for 50km 😳 what kind of gears are Madison racers riding now?
by my calc, the speed was 56.9. a little under that 58, but blazing fast for sure.

so one way to figure it gearing for real would be to look at the footage: find a nice long shot, time somebody's lap, and then rewind and count their pedal strokes. work out their speed from the time/lap, work out their gear from their cadence at that speed.

but i'll tell you this, that racing c1s and c2s against some of the people who were on the start list for a few events at that world cup, that stuff in the 104 range is common. i'm not strong enough to be comfortable on that big of a gear; i've rolled a 100-102 in some eliminations and motor scratches but it usually feels terrible.

Originally Posted by colnago62
It was a fast race. Everybody is starting their build towards the Olympic Games. Riders are flying. Lambie had his WR lowered twice.
Yeah, glancing at the sprint and TP times that people were laying down, this round of the world cup seemed to be extremely for real.