Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

tandem bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 02:41 AM
cdahlen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tandem bike

My Wife had a stroke 4 years ago at the age of 36. a few months ago she said it would be nice if we could go bike ride. well that got me thinking of building a bike for 2. i have looked at side by side bikes but they have 2 sets of pedals, so im now thinking something like a recumbent bike with a 2nd seat/frame attached, like a sidecar. has anyone built or seen anything like this?
thanks
Old 09-30-20, 04:59 AM
CycleCommuter

Bikes: 3Rensho Tandem, Waterford 1200, Gunnar Roadie, Aegis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yes I have seen many bicycles / human powered vehicles similar to what you are describing. Check out books on Human powered vehicles such as Bike Cult by David Perry for some ideas, there is another one on HPVs with a lot of designs, I will look on my bookshelf and see if I can find it.

​​​​​​I would really recommend that you considered a tandem such as the Blinkley Viewpoint Tandem. This has a recumbent front connected to a standard rear triangle tandem. The recumbent front can be used by children or adults and they can pedal as little or as much as they like. There is one on eBay right now that have travel couplers, someone please buy it so I can stop dreaming!
Old 09-30-20, 07:46 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Since you are looking at a recumbent for an idea, I'd suggest you go to Bentrideronline and look at their homebuilder's section Homebuilders - BentRider Online Forums. What you are describing with a sidecar would require a third wheel for stability so you are really describing a trike. Anything that is side-by-side is going take up a lot of room. That's why tandem bikes and trikes are end-to-end rather than side-by-side. There aren't many roads I ride that I would be comfortable on with double the width of my current trike. I had the chance to test ride a very expensive Greenspeed tandem a few years ago. The one thing that really turned me off was both riders had to pedal at the same cadence since they were linked together with one chain. Both had to stop pedaling if one wanted to stop pedaling. When my shoelace got caught in the chainwheel it was panic time.
Old 09-30-20, 10:22 AM
cdahlen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking having the 2 seats next to each other she would enjoy more. then we can talk easier and enjoy the ride together. i will check the sites that was mentioned.
Old 09-30-20, 04:11 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts

My late wife used a walker. We got a Greenspeed recumbent tandem tricycle. There were various options. We got the one where the Captain's (front seat) pedals are connected directly to the rear wheel (something like 17 feet of chain). The Stoker's pedals are connected to the Captain's pedals with a freewheel, so the Stoker need not pedal.

I believe there are other options to allow independent pedaling.

On an upright tandem, the riders are so close together that they must pedal in sync - otherwise there is the possibility that the feet would collide.

- Ed
Old 09-30-20, 05:37 PM
cdahlen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the reply. i dont think my wife would like that kind of bike.
Old 10-02-20, 02:40 PM
v2505

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
great picture of the two of you