Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommended bike lock?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recommended bike lock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-21, 04:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert111
I decided to give OTTOLOCK cafe lock a try because I wanted a light and secure lock I could bring with me on long bike trips. It is very small and lightweight and works great too. It's a simple 3 digit combo code that is easy to program and the mechanism works smoothly for locking/unlocking.

I wouldn't call any Ottolock "secure.". They're just about the easiest lock to cut without attracting attention: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ottolock-cinch
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-13-21, 10:37 AM
Ayrton980

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend the Circuit Breaker Cable Padlock.
Old 04-13-21, 10:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayrton980
I recommend the Circuit Breaker Cable Padlock.
This one?

Old 04-13-21, 02:19 PM
Illgot

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I like Kryptonite locks. They have lighter weight and heavier weight locks. The advantage of Kryptonite is they lock on both sides so if a thief is going to steal your bicycle they have to cut both sides on the U lock or it won't come off. Most of the cheaper U locks only lock on one side so you can cut the opposing side and just turn/pull the lock off.
Old 04-13-21, 05:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Illgot
I like Kryptonite locks. They have lighter weight and heavier weight locks. The advantage of Kryptonite is they lock on both sides so if a thief is going to steal your bicycle they have to cut both sides on the U lock or it won't come off. Most of the cheaper U locks only lock on one side so you can cut the opposing side and just turn/pull the lock off.
Uncorrect.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-21, 10:59 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I have really liked my ABUS Bordo Granite, for 7 years now. I just measured it, 34"/ 86 cm from the head to the open tip. It goes around about a 6" pole and the seat tube. I bought it for my tour bike. I made a CF holder for it too, it's a heavy bugger. I think it's way handier than a U, that I have never bought.
My second tour I also started carrying a 30" chain and key lock for larger trees or just a second pole and my front wheel. It isn't much by itself, for very long out of sight.
Before these, for 15 years I had one of those armadillo coil covered 1/4" cables, 4 digit combo. Funny nobody ever tried cutting that.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-13-21 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-15-21, 12:37 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
The lock picking lawyer has entered chat....
Likes For blue192:
Old 06-16-21, 08:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickwise
You can consider Kryptonite Keeper chain bike locks. Based on my personal experience using the product, the Kryptonite Keeper looks formidable and offers many anti-theft features. The 7 mm four-sided chain links are made with 3T manganese steel, known for their high-impact strength and abrasion-resistance features. I like the heavy-duty chained covered by a thick black sleeve which protects the links from possible scratches.
We had a 12mm Kryptonite/Schlage chain in the shop and with two hits from a sledgehammer it was broken, we took an 8mm Abus chain and hit it for 20 minutes with the same sledgehammer and no damage aside from maybe a touch of scuffing. Not that it was scientific lab testing and it was just one and one but still the thinner chain outlasted a thicker chain.

The Keeper is a pretty low security chain and whenever I see one I don't think formidable. This is formidable: https://mobil.abus.com/usa/on-road/L...4KS-Black-Loop. However it weighs like 16lbs so it is not super portable but it will keep that bike secure provided you are locking to something secure. However realistically if I was doing a chain it would be the City Chain 1010 but realistically I would just do a Bordo folding lock and have something easier to carry and also quite secure.
Old 06-16-21, 10:34 PM
craig_dahlke

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts
+1 for Abus Bordo
Likes For craig_dahlke:
Old 06-19-21, 08:55 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The truth is that the cheesiest lock that you can find is about 90% efficient because it forces the potential thief to bring some kind of tool with him.

As you proceed from 90% to 99% efficiency, you engage in a progressively more weightly and more expensive game of one-upmanship with the thief. That game, by the way, that you will always ultimately lose.

There is no 100% efficient bike lock. It's not common, but crooks have successfully broken into bank vaults.

When I lock my bike I use a heavy-ish cable and padlock. So far that's been adequate for where and how I ride.
Old 07-22-21, 07:59 AM
oliver305

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think chain locks represent the most common way to secure a bike from theft. +1 for ABUS security square chain. Quality made and the cover seems very durable. The thickness, weight, strength, and size is a good compromise for a pretty secure bike lock combination.
Old 10-02-21, 05:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Naah that cheap via velo looks like an On Guard knockoff u lock and they took graphics from Kyrptonite on their website. LockPickingLawyer
as usual picked it in no time and someone named BootsOwen
cut it with bolt cutters in probably the same amount of time. Any u-lock and cable will allow you to do as mimirichman did (size dependent, of course) but a good u-lock will actually be hard to cut and get into. No lock is safe but a weak vulnerable lock is very unsafe. Cheap metal and cheap plastic equal almost no security and if I am going to schlep around a lock it better not just be for looks it better actually do something.
Old 10-06-21, 11:18 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Around here, if you leave your bike anywhere and it could be thought of as desirable from any angle, it wont be there when you get back.
Your only hope is a battleship lock like the New York, or similar. Something that you need a trailer to haul around. That'll give you a cool 15 minutes, after that, they took the whole rack, gate, fence or pole and will separate the bike from it later.
Most of the tweakers sit around the edges of the store lots with their grinder and cutters in their backpack. They can sell any bike mid-high level and up for $50 to the fence and the bike will end up in a different state at a swap meet or on CL, FB, whatever.
It elfin pisses me off.
They will even follow you home and case your house.
Bottom feeder business.
I don't waste my time on locks while Im riding because the bike is always within physical reach of me if I am not on it. I will only go into a store if there are two of us and one will straddle the bikes while the other goes in.
At home they are double locked in a secured area within a secured area on private property and 100fett from the road gate.
And I still worry.
My son is tired of it and has an old beater for store trips, No-one wants it, so its safe. A baby lock is good enough.
Therein lies the true security key...
Old 03-28-22, 02:00 AM
benso

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
biker lock

if you are looking for the biker lock then i tell you a link where you can find easily