Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 07-29-21, 04:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
nice shoes! gotta keep an eye out for those!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-29-21, 07:19 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice shoes! gotta keep an eye out for those!
They're a pair of New Balance Minimus cross-trainers. They're in their second year. I find they work well with BMX-style platform pedals. Model code MX40RD1, size 13, width 2E. "Minimus" is a broad product line, with a number of different shoes for different purposes; googling by the model code should bring them up. This is the second pair I've used for this purpose, and have liked both of them. YMMV.

rod
Old 07-29-21, 09:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

They're a pair of New Balance Minimus cross-trainers. They're in their second year. I find they work well with BMX-style platform pedals. Model code MX40RD1, size 13, width 2E. "Minimus" is a broad product line, with a number of different shoes for different purposes; googling by the model code should bring them up. This is the second pair I've used for this purpose, and have liked both of them. YMMV.
oh thank you for all the detailed product info, but I meant keep an eye out for them on the MM so I could say hello, if I ever saw you, haha
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-29-21, 09:42 AM
rholland1951

oh thank you for all the detailed product info, but I meant keep an eye out for them on the MM so I could say hello, if I ever saw you, haha
These fits of literal-mindedness come and go. Yeah, the shoes are salient indicators of me-ness until the cold weather returns. Time for another course of bicycle therapy...

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-29-21, 04:00 PM
rholland1951

Speaking of bicycle therapy, I took the Surly out noonish today, intending to spend the afternoon revisiting some old haunts. All this depended on the weather behaving itself, of course, but I had hopes based on the forecasting I had seen/heard. The first leg of the planned route was to follow the Minuteman out to Depot Park. This was a pleasant ride, not crowded, not frantic, a relaxed but efficient spin. My fellow trail users seemed like nice people, not like bad monkeys.

However... when I reached Depot Park, the sky looked ominous.

The weather radar looked worse. Seems conditions had deteriorated rapidly. I decided that if I were going to get soaked, I'd rather it happen when I was on my way home, on a familiar rail trail, rather than while heading Out Yonder, on roads that might be familiar enough, but which were populated by Massachusetts drivers enraged by the sight of weather. I turned the bike around and headed East. At Tophet Swamp, the clouds suggested I make all deliberate speed, so I did.

Shortly thereafter, a teasing drizzle started, then stopped. This became a steady shower, that came to visit whenever there was a gap in the tree canopy. After a bit, it was just rain, and it was playing Soak the Cyclist with gleeful abandon. Being a good sport, I did my part, and got soaked.

Had a nice ride in the rain, exchanging more or less good-humored greetings with other cyclists passed or passing, occasionally ringing the bell to manage the odd group of three-abreast pedestrians or divider walkers. The rain began to subside, and I knew it was over when the young woman folded up her pink umbrella after the couple on the tandem passed her.

So the old haunts remain to be revisited. It's possible that I wouldn't have gotten any wetter if I'd hewed to my purpose, but some of what I was seeing on the weather radar looked a good deal more intense than the polite and sportsmanlike soaking I got, so I'll haunt them again some other day.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 07-31-21, 04:00 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
So, obviously still not yet ready for saddle time, but can still enjoy bikes, Ideas Not Theory at the ICA:

(Pills and Ills Update - pathology and bone scans back with great news, lymph nodes negative and bone scan negative. So still at “just wicked”. Radiation therapy in three to six months.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 07-31-21, 09:31 PM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by mr_bill
(Pills and Ills Update - pathology and bone scans back with great news, lymph nodes negative and bone scan negative. So still at “just wicked”. Radiation therapy in three to six months.)

-mr. bill
Good test results!

rod
Old 07-31-21, 09:58 PM
rholland1951

Took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe and rode East.

Along with the normal round of playing in traffic and surfing the hills, I found myself watching the clouds, and the surrounding sky. After some of the rough weather we've been having lately, today's sky full of clouds got my attention for its benign ordinariness.

This cloud reminded me of a good old-fashioned wire-haired fox terrier, but compounded of air and water vapour.

I also spent a certain amount of time waiting for trains to clear this or that intersection. Here's one in West Medford.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 07-31-21 at 10:08 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 08-01-21, 09:31 PM
rholland1951

Sunday, I took the Surly on a little ride up the eastern shore of the Mystic Lakes before dinner, just to keep the moving parts moving and to check on the scene there on a tranquil evening.

Linger at the beach, and it's yours.

Everybody's looking at something.

There's weather somewhere, but not here, not yet. Perhaps it will just move along North.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 08-02-21, 06:55 PM
rholland1951

Monday, once again I took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe out for a quick spin before dinner on the Mystic Valley Parkway, up along the Eastern shore of the Mystic Lakes and back.

Lots of company from other cyclists.

Ra!

The scene at Shannon Beach might be characterized as ducky.

Nowadays, the kids like to walk on water.

Sometimes, they fall in.

Sail away, ladies, sail away.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-02-21 at 08:39 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 08-04-21, 06:05 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Today I bagged 101 miles on my Seven Evergreen mostly on the CCRT including the new section in Welfleet which transitioned to a loose sand path. After having a delicious lobster roll in Truro I headed back and was blessed to enjoy 30 miles of steady rain!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5739506533

Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 08-04-21, 06:33 PM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Today I bagged 101 miles on my Seven Evergreen mostly on the CCRT including the new section in Welfleet which transitioned to a loose sand path. After having a delicious lobster roll in Truro I headed back and was blessed to enjoy 30 miles of steady rain!

Sir, you remind us of what a bicycle is for.

rod
Old 08-04-21, 06:57 PM
rholland1951

When the MCRT-Wayside was paved through Wayland and Weston, I puzzled a bit over how it fit into the larger cycling map; it's pretty enough in itself, but what's it for? Soon enough its role as an East-West route through the South-Central zone of the Metro Boston road-trail system suggested itself, and that stimulated planning a 49-mile loop through Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, Carlisle, Concord, Lincoln, Sudbury, Wayland, Weston, and Waltham, made by stitching together segments of the Minuteman, Route 225, Skelton Road, River Road, Monument Street, Concord Center, Walden Street, Route 126, Sherman's Bridge Road, Water Row, River Road, Route 20, Landham Street, Pelham island Road, Route 20 again (just for a block), MCRT-Wayside, Church Street, North Street, Lexington Road, West Street, Winter Street, Old County Road, Trapelo Road. Smith Street, Spring Street, Marrett Road, Mass. Ave., Maple Street, and the Minuteman again. (A slightly shorter variant can be had by riding the Reformatory Branch instead of 225/Skelton/River/Monument.) I rode the loop once or twice in previous years, and again on Tuesday, the first time this year. It was a good ride, filling the awful void between lunch and dinner.

The Minuteman, Lexington: the Mile 4.0 Cairn Builders give us a traveler's tale to those who stayed behind. It's a good story.

Route 225, crossing the Concord River. All that water had to come from somewhere, and we're off to look for that.

River Road, Carlisle: the sign for Blue Bird Hill Farm calms me every time I pass it. Good trick for a little wood and paint.

The Sudbury River, seen from Sherman's Bridge. Water under this bridge is headed for the Concord.

Water Row, Sudbury: here I called the frogs, and they answered me.

Pelham Island Road, Wayland: Pelham Island is not presently instantiated, but come back in flood conditions... in a kayak.

MCRT-Wayside, Wayland: this section of the trail is lovely and secluded. It's often possible to ride for several minutes without encountering another trail user.

MCRT-Wayside, Weston: Once upon a time, I rode this before it had been properly converted to a rail trail. It was simply rails, with a (single-track) trail running along next to it, now on one side to the tracks, now on the other. I managed to catch my front wheel during one such crossing, and was catapulted head first onto one of the rails. My Giro helmet died for my sins that day, and I had a close call. As a result, I now have an irrational sense of ownership of this trail. This time, nothing more harrowing happened than a close encounter with an outraged shrew.

Winter Street, Waltham: the ride alongside the Cambridge Reservoir is pleasant, and traffic wasn't a problem Tuesday afternoon, for whatever reason.

Old County Road, Lincoln: still riding next to the Cambridge Reservoir, now fringed by forest, with speed bumps at intervals to lend a little interest to riding on the old pavement.

Up next, the Trapelo Road causeway and a vigorous climb up the hill overlooking the Reservoir; the end of the ride is in sight, and all that remains is some pedaling through Waltham, Lexington, and Arlington. Followed by dinner.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-05-21 at 01:04 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 08-04-21, 11:26 PM
rholland1951

Wednesday afternoon, as the clouds leaned over the town, I took the Surly for a quick sprint up the Minuteman to Lexington Center and back. I was expecting to get wet, but in fact only encountered a gentle cooling drizzle while passing TJ's on the return. Unlike some other recent rides, this gentle drizzle did NOT evolve into a gentle torrential downpour, at least not before I put the bike away. How do you like that?

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 08-05-21, 06:28 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

When the MCRT-Wayside was paved through Wayland and Weston, I puzzled a bit over how it fit into the larger cycling map; it's pretty enough for itself, but what's it for? Soon enough it's role as an East-West route through South-Central zone of the Metro Boston road-trail system suggested itself, and that stimulated planning a 49-mile loop made from stitching together the Minuteman, Route 225, Skelton Road, River Road, Monument Street, Concord Center, Walden Street, Route 126, Sherman's Bridge Road, Water Row, River Road, Route 20, Landham Street, Pelham island Road, Route 20 again (just for a block), MCRT-Wayside, Church Street, North Street, Lexington Road, West Street, Winter Street, Old County Road, Trapelo Road. Smith Street, Spring Street, Marrett Road, Mass. Ave., Maple Street, and the Minuteman again. (A slightly shorter variant can be had by riding the Reformatory Branch instead of 225/Skelton/River/Monument.) I rode the loop once or twice in previous years, and again on Tuesday, the first time this year. It was a good ride, filling the awful void between lunch and dinner.

The Minuteman, Lexington: the Mile 4.0 Cairn Builders give us a traveler's tale to those who stayed behind. It's a good story.

Route 225, crossing the Concord River. All that water had to come from somewhere, and we're off to look for it.

River Road, Carlisle: the sign for Blue Bird Hill Farm calms me every time I pass it. Good trick for a little wood and paint.

The Sudbury River, seen from Sherman's Bridge. Water under this bridge is headed for the Concord.

Water Row, Sudbury: here I called the frogs, and they answered me.

Pelham Island Road, Wayland: Pelham Island is not presently instantiated, but come back in flood conditions... in a kayak.

MCRT-Wayside, Wayland: this section of the trail is lovely and secluded. It's often possible to ride for several minutes without encountering another trail user.

MCRT-Wayside, Weston: Once upon a time, I rode this before it had been properly converted to a rail trail. It was simply rails, with a (single-track) trail running along next to it, now on one side to the tracks, now on the other. I managed to catch my front wheel during one such crossing, and was catapulted head first onto one of the rails. My Giro helmet died for my sins that day, and I had a close call. As a result, I now have an irrational sense of ownership of this trail. This time, nothing more harrowing happened than a close encounter with an outraged shrew.

Winter Street, Waltham: the ride alongside the Cambridge Reservoir is pleasant, and traffic wasn't a problem Tuesday afternoon, for whatever reason.

Old County Road, Lincoln: still riding next to the Cambridge Reservoir, now fringed by forest, with speed bumps at intervals to lend a little interest to riding on the old pavement.

Up next, the Trapelo Road causeway and a vigorous climb up the hill overlooking the Reservoir; the end of the ride is in sight, and all that remains is some pedaling through Waltham, Lexington, and Arlington. Followed by dinner.

rod
if I had been riding from home instead of the Cape we would have likely crossed paths. Those are all on my usual routes!
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 08-05-21, 07:22 AM
rholland1951

if I had been riding from home instead of the Cape we would have likely crossed paths. Those are all on my usual routes!
That would be fun! We're blessed with good places to ride.

rod
Old 08-05-21, 02:01 PM
rumrunn6

you're a beast! & I mean that in the best way possible
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-05-21, 02:08 PM
Ghazmh

you're a beast! & I mean that in the best way possible
Thanks, as enjoyable as it was I really was hoping for clear sunny skies. I was originally looking forward to heading to Kreem and Kone afterwards followed by a swim at West Dennis beach. Instead I drove straight home thoroughly soaked and grimy. I felt fatigued from a long day of pedaling but that bike didn’t beat me up and cause soreness and discomfort the way an equally long ride on my 520 touring bike does.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 08-05-21, 04:45 PM
rumrunn6

Thanks, as enjoyable as it was I really was hoping for clear sunny skies. I was originally looking forward to heading to Kreem and Kone afterwards followed by a swim at West Dennis beach. Instead I drove straight home thoroughly soaked and grimy. I felt fatigued from a long day of pedaling but that bike didn’t beat me up and cause soreness and discomfort the way an equally long ride on my 520 touring bike does.
  • when it's your day to ride, you ride
  • re:Kreem and Kone I went in early July for the 1st time w/ the family cuz we rented a friend's house for a week. I was out there again last weekend to ride the CCRT but took a wrong turn out of the S. Yarmouth lot & wound up in the other direction at Carluccio's. I had my heart set on 2 grilled hotdogs, I think they have food at K&K, but wound up w/ an Italian sub instead
  • I rode 1/2 as much as you but was also glad to get home. sure felt good to have so many lung fulls of ocean air
  • I have a day off tomorrow, so I will ride, just not sure where. documenting & planning seem to take more effort than a year ago
  • but I will ride ;-)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-06-21, 12:39 PM
Ghazmh

Today I decided to mix it up a bit. I aboard my Seven Evergreen adventure bike rode the Charles River path from Waltham up the Cambridge side to the grungy street in front of the MOS and back down the Boston side. From the Cambridge/Watertown line area I looped back to JFK street and rode to Harvard Square, then Huron ave where I spotted a turkey, over to Fresh Pond and eventually the Minuteman. It was a delightful sunny summer day and nice to be on the path when the ped/bike traffic was manageable. From there I made my way to Concord ctr, then Carlisle for an iced coffee at Ferns, a few side roads later I was speeding down Strawberry Hill and eventually rode by Ponyhenge before getting home. 68 enjoyable miles in all.

Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 08-06-21, 10:30 PM
rholland1951

Made use of the rainy weather yesterday to troubleshoot my flat front tire on the GT. Determined that this was due to a manufacturers defect in the Schwalbe SV-14a tube, some microscopic porosity on the inner surface of the tube that was too small to be seen, but large enough to pass a perceptible stream of air. I swapped the tube, pumped up the tire, and was pleased to see the tire was still inflated this afternoon, when I took the bike for a quick spin along the Mystic Lakes.

The mouth of the Aberjona River: what's reflected, what's substantial?

Mystic Valley Parkway: rare ElliptiGO sighting. Another escapee from the gym.

Shannon Beach was dominated by little kids and their parents this afternoon. Family beach scene, not a party scene this time.

A couple of open water swimmers could be seen from the Tufts pavilion on Upper Mystic Lake. I've done a certain amount of that, and the idea of towing a buoy, as apparently currently encouraged by the State, is not appealing. The idea that having strong swimmers encumber themselves will somehow protect foolhardy non-swimmers puzzles me.

The Wonder Working Water Walkers were back. How do they do that?

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 08-07-21, 09:51 PM
rholland1951

Saturday, took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe and rode East.

What do hills, traffic, Buddhism, Rat Trap Pass Extralights, and grooved pavement have to do with each other? I dunno, but it must be something, because I'm doing it again.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 08-08-21, 06:10 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Three weeks post surgery, exercise approved.

Friday, four miles to MA HOLE donuts on the kick scooter. So good to sweat again.

Saturday, five mile barefoot walk along Revere Beach with spouse for Sand Sculptures.

Today, five miles in a tandem kayak with a friend, from Waltham Dam up to Newton and back.

Not rushing saddle time, but can now comfortably sit on flat hard benches.

Oh, some pics, I’m being stalked by street view:

And glorious sunset Minuteman and Mill:

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 08-09-21, 10:20 PM
rholland1951

Took the venerable old GT Karakoram sporting its new pair of shoes (Rene Herse Humtulips Ridge Extralights, the Rat Trap Pass's knobbier brother) for a quick if somewhat drizzly spin up to Depot Park and back before dinner (I have distant memories of riding before other meals, I should try that again sometime).

A rescue truck met on Broadway in Arlington provided a flashing, squalling fanfare to inaugurate the ride. Recreating the sound track is left as an exercise for the reader.

There was only modest traffic on the Minuteman, although actual riding conditions were really pretty good. Maybe everybody went to the Cape.

Overtaking the Buddliner at Depot Park.

After I turned around and started heading back, I encountered a group of three boys--middle schoolers, I think, but at this point a lot of people look younger to me than they really are, so they might have been graduate students. The lead kid raised his left hand, elbow bent, as if signaling for a right turn, which made no sense since executing one would have sent him and his bike into the underbrush. After he said "High five" for the second time, I realized what he wanted, and slapped him five. His buddies cheered. I think the spectacle of the geezer on the archaic mountain bike tickled them.

Ever wonder where all those e-bikes come from? Here's a clue, found in Lexington.

I suspect those signs are in violation of some by-law or other, but the entrepreneurial impulse can be fun to watch at times.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-10-21 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-10-21, 12:50 PM
rumrunn6

Ever wonder where all those e-bikes come from? Here's a clue, found in Lexington.
oh boy, just what we need, right?
Likes For rumrunn6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.