Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Carbon wear

Old 09-19-21, 05:59 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Carbon wear

I just rode my bike (fixed gear) with a front brake on my front aerospoke. I didn't notice but my one brake pad was rubbing a millimeter below the braking surface on the carbon. One side of my aerospoke is starting to fray a little bit and there is a gap along the brake track and the carbon. I will try to take it to the bike shop to get fixed? How bad does it sound?
Old 09-20-21, 06:09 PM
Wallonthefloor

attatched is one of the spots. rubbed consistently around and more at the top of each aerospoke blade
Old 09-20-21, 06:50 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Good job adjusting your brakes. That wheel is toast and no bike shop will be able to fix it.
Old 09-20-21, 08:14 PM
Wallonthefloor

Really? I rode it home and thought it doesnt look too bad this is just an up close picture. There is still thickness underneath so maybe I will DIY fix it with epoxy
Likes For Wallonthefloor:
Old 09-20-21, 08:38 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
I wouldn't even try to guess if that's OK without seeing it in the flesh. Take it to a couple of shops to get some agreement on whether it's toast or not.
Old 09-20-21, 09:21 PM
Wallonthefloor

Now with a little backstory, this wheel was from off ebay a few months ago and riding it when I swayed the bike left and right or did aggressive riding it does creak (sounds like wood bending) Now Im not sure if there is pre existing damage in the hub. Also don't be mistaken those are not cracks all over the wheel it is the "composite" so not a carbon fiber weave look and that part of most the wheel is fine. I say "most" because that evening me and my Oktoberfest bud collided on a turn and I took the hit. It might have a small crack I see as Ive thoroughly inspected it with a flashlight. It does not flex around this part but it feels rough. Pics to come when I feel up to it, my injury needs examined but the bike comes first!

Last edited by Wallonthefloor; 09-20-21 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 09:24 PM
Wallonthefloor

And I wonder how this type of damage here occured? This is the apparent thickness of one of these wheels - searched carbon aerospoke broken: Busted Carbon: Aerospoke

Last edited by Wallonthefloor; 09-20-21 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 10:18 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Those wheels are bulletproof. A bit of epoxy to seal up the frayed areas and all will be ok. Refer to any post on these forums regarding Carbon and the usual doomsayers chime in that the sky is falling and complete failure is imminent.
Old 09-21-21, 07:51 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Those wheels are bulletproof. A bit of epoxy to seal up the frayed areas and all will be ok. Refer to any post on these forums regarding Carbon and the usual doomsayers chime in that the sky is falling and complete failure is imminent.
You did see the part where the OP says the wheel "might have a small crack", right?

Personally, I'd be hesitant to ride any wheel that had a visible crack in it before having it thoroughly checked out by a pro. That's true of whether it were made from CF, steel, alloy, or whatever other material you can think of. And that's doubly true if the crack is in the rim below the braking surface - which the photo posted by the OP might possibly show.

I've never had a wheel fail catestrophically while riding, and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Metal and CF can be replaced or repaired. Flesh and bone sometimes can't. But YMMV.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-21-21 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Minor wording change.
Old 09-21-21, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
A lot of us on alloy wheels are riding rims with a big crack. The ends of the extrusion are just kept aligned with pins and spoke tension keeps the ends from separating.

If this were my rim, I'd just ride it until it gets to the point where it obviously needs to be trashed. If someone that knows about repairing carbon rims were to suggest removing any loose resin and put a coat of new resin over that spot, then I'd think that reasonable.

I'd wait till I found out from someone that works on carbon rims before doing much of anything. Except maybe ride it. Maybe not down the twistiest of roads at my highest speeds.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-21-21 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-21-21, 02:18 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
A lot of us on alloy wheels are riding rims with a big crack. The ends of the extrusion are just kept aligned with pins and spoke tension keeps the ends from separating.
Not sure I'd consider a pinned joint that's there by design (and presumably designed to be joined strong enough to hold throughout the design lifetime) and a crack - due possibly to excessive or repetitive stress - the same. But you may have a point.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-21-21 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Correct typo and minor wording changes.
Old 09-21-21, 05:51 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
A guy I worked with got in a wreck with his Aerospoke wheels and broke out a spoke on the front wheel. Rode it for years like that, and I suspect still is. Aerospoke wheels are tougher than nails. Epoxy and ride it.
Likes For TiHabanero: