Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber vs. other materials for commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Carbon Fiber vs. other materials for commuter?

Old 06-01-16, 07:12 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Rack and panniers give me more options on what and how much to carry. I use a small most of the time to carry just my lunch and sometimes a change of clothes. I have lots of clothes at work already. But there are times when I need to carry much more, or when I want to go grocery shopping after work. I don't like carrying a ton of stuff to or from work, and I don't like using the panniers, but I dislike driving more.
Old 06-01-16, 10:04 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
The idea has crossed my mind a few times about turning a MTB frame in to road bike, but I didn't want to deal with the different wheels size, and wasn't sure if I wanted to spend money on a bike that I'm not sure is comfortable for me to ride given the difference in the geometry.

For you build, did you use 700c wheels? Looks like the front wheel is smaller, like 650? And how is the position compared to an actual road bike frame?

BTW, $100 for that frame is a steel, er, I mean steal!
No fork with the original frame. I used an old bonded Aluminum road fork I had laying around at the time.

Both front and rear wheels are 700c, and I typically ride 23mm or 25mm tires. I think the frame could accommodate even larger tires, at least 28, and maybe 32 or 35. My Schwinn fork, however, would be tight with larger tires. That could certainly be changed.

The frame did have a rear brake bridge, but it had never been drilled, so that was one permanent modification I did to the frame.

As far as size. The MTB frames are typically a little longer than road frames, so it has the effect of being the length of a larger frame, but with quite a bit of drop. It took a few hundred miles for my old body to get used to the new bar position.

The Litespeed frame also had never been dimpled for crank or chainring clearance. My road cranks I had planned for it were too narrow. My current MTB cranks have clearance. However, the large chainring comes awfully close to the frame.
Old 06-01-16, 12:55 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Well I'll admit that I'd love to try a carbon fiber frame for commuting, just because everyone says they're lighter and smoother. I don't care about rack and fenders on that - I'd use a frame bag or something more creative, or just a messenger bag if it came to that.
I love commuting on my carbon Renegade.

After testing it and about 10-15 other road bikes, the three best rides (IMO of course) were the 2015 and 2016 carbon Renegades and the steel Volagi Viaje. All three smoothed out rough surfaces in a pleasing manner. My bike choice came down to which one was on sale.

I probably would have been fine with a cheaper bike like the Fuji Tread 1.0, Felt V85, etc. but I don't regret splurging on a ride that makes me happy.

It's actually heavier than my colleague's aluminum Trek Madone, with the 35mm tires and appropriately sized wheels.
Old 06-01-16, 01:02 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
The renegade is probably my favourite bike being sold right now, but I kinda get the heebiejeebies when I see the way the seat cluster of the carbon frame is configured. My friend just got an aluminum one and it is damn sweet. How heavy and tall are you, GovernorSilver, and what size renegade do you have?
Old 06-01-16, 01:24 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
For a commuter, fibre is almost useless. It's great for making a light racing bike, but will be a poor choice for a commuter. You will want a lot of accessories that a fibre bike simply will not accommodate. Things like fenders, racks, and strong stands. Then fibre is easily damaged where a good steel frame can take a beating. Sure you can make a fibre frame work, as you can any frame, but it's not going to be the best choice. Certain bikes are really meant for certain uses and are best left to those uses.

My current commuter is steel and 31+kg and yet I get to work in the same time as my old commuter that was under 10kg. Weight is not really that important in commuting.
Old 06-01-16, 01:44 PM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
The renegade is probably my favourite bike being sold right now, but I kinda get the heebiejeebies when I see the way the seat cluster of the carbon frame is configured. My friend just got an aluminum one and it is damn sweet. How heavy and tall are you, GovernorSilver, and what size renegade do you have?
I'm 5' 8", 145 lbs. The LBS matched me up with a size 54, which feels right. They also gave me a fitting so I could ride it comfortably in my preferred position, with the adjustments to the brifter distance, handlebar angle, etc. I did test ride oversized (size 57) and undersized (size 51) bikes as well. The smaller ones do feel cramped. The 57 was surprisingly comfortable.

The stock saddle (Selle Royal Seta S1) was too narrow for my sit bones so I just replaced it with a 143mm Specialized Phenom Expert, which supports my sit bones as expected but doesn't feel as good as the stock saddle of the now-discontinued aluminum Trek Madone that I briefly tried riding. I have two weeks to decide whether to keep the Phenom or exchange it for another one. The LBS owner did recommend a torque wrench for saddle height adjustment, instead of the standard Y wrench that I use on my Uptown 8.

Regarding accessories, the Renegade has Planet Bike Cascadia fenders. I inquired about adding a kickstand but the LBS owner talked me out of it, LOL! I do have a Feedback Sports storage stand at home for parking the Renegade. Thought about adding a rack but decided to just use my backpack when commuting on it. I ride the Uptown 8, which has a rack and panniers, if I think I'm going to do some shopping on the way home.

Also, some may have missed my earlier post in which I said I already had an accident on the Renegade due to a poor approach angle to a ramp - knocked the chain loose and it scratched the frame a bit, but no real damage - and certainly no "assplosion" - based on examination by two different LBS's. It did tumble dramatically though.

Jamis has a lifetime warranty on the frame for the original owner - thanks for the correction Wilfred.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06-01-16 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 01:48 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

After testing it and about 10-15 other road bikes, the three best rides (IMO of course) were the 2015 and 2016 carbon Renegades and the steel Volagi Viaje. All three smoothed out rough surfaces in a pleasing manner. My bike choice came down to which one was on sale.

I probably would have been fine with a cheaper bike like the Fuji Tread 1.0, Felt V85, etc. but I don't regret splurging on a ride that makes me happy.

It's actually heavier than my colleague's aluminum Trek Madone, with the 35mm tires and appropriately sized wheels.
I've always hankered for the Felt racing bikes, not that I'm likely to buy one but I think it would be pretty awesome for a fast commute, the kind where you take the lonnng way home.

The guy that parks beside me at work sometimes rides a Bottecchia CF, Ultegra, a nice commuting bike IMO. Same tires and wheels as I have but otherwise really discerning taste! More often he rides an old Trek hybrid with a milk carton on back, another good choice. It all depends on how you want to ride.
Old 06-01-16, 02:04 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
I'm 5' 8", 145 lbs. The LBS matched me up with a size 54, which feels right. I did test ride oversized (size 57) and undersized (size 51) bikes as well. The smaller ones do feel cramped. ...

...Also, some may have missed my earlier post in which I said I already had an accident on the Renegade due to a poor approach angle to a ramp - knocked the chain loose and it scratched the frame a bit, but no real damage - and certainly no "assplosion" - based on examination by two different LBS's. It did tumble dramatically though.
Thanks. I am looking for long term reviews from someone bigger (I weigh 230 lbs and have broken a lot of frames) on those carbon frames then maybe I will start saving my pennies.

Jamis has a 1-year warranty on the frame.
WARRANTY GUIDE Look again. Lifetime on all frames, regardless of material.

JAMIS BICYCLES warrants to the original owner the replacement of original components and equipment of JAMIS bicycles due to defects in the material and/or workmanship according to the following conditions and limitations:

1) Warranty coverage on bicycle frames and rigid forks extends for the lifetime of the bicycle while owned by the original retail purchaser, except for the following bicycles:

a) Full suspension bicycles with rear suspension travel of 5" or less: 5 years

b) Full suspension bicycles with rear suspension travel of more than 5": 2 years

c) Komodo and Kromo bicycles: 5 years

2. The components, other than frame and fork are warranted for 1 (one) year. Suspension forks and rear shock absorbers are excluded from this warranty and are covered by the stated warranty of their original manufacturers. Suspension related bearings, pivots and bushings are covered under this warranty.
Old 06-01-16, 02:24 PM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier

WARRANTY GUIDE Look again. Lifetime on all frames, regardless of material.
I dunno why I was thinking one year warranty for everything. I do keep the receipt, owners manual (comes w/ warranty), etc. around, though I'm confident this LBS will take care of me if needed.

Anyway, good luck with your search. Like I said, the Volagi Viaje was the other bike model I really liked - I was leaning towards saving up for the full service deal w/ Volagi before that fateful sale. If you buy a Volagi directly from them, they'll put you up for the weekend in Utah (dinner, hotel and drinks paid), give you credit towards your flight, and you also get to ride just about wherever you want there. Bike can be configured with your choice of Shimano or SRAM groupset. Also, they have a titanium model, if the steel isn't sturdy enough for you.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06-01-16 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 02:33 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
you can put a rack on a carbon bike:

Tailfin Carbon Fibre Bike Rack launches on Kickstarter - CycleTechReviewCycleTechReview
Old 06-01-16, 02:39 PM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dim
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...ckstarter.html
Old 06-01-16, 03:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
For a commuter, fibre is almost useless. It's great for making a light racing bike, but will be a poor choice for a commuter. You will want a lot of accessories that a fibre bike simply will not accommodate. Things like fenders, racks, and strong stands. Then fibre is easily damaged where a good steel frame can take a beating. Sure you can make a fibre frame work, as you can any frame, but it's not going to be the best choice. Certain bikes are really meant for certain uses and are best left to those uses.

My current commuter is steel and 31+kg and yet I get to work in the same time as my old commuter that was under 10kg. Weight is not really that important in commuting.
The Republic of Offthebackistan
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-01-16, 03:49 PM
GhostSS

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by andyprough
What the heck do I need to carry to work?

A computer.
A change of clothes (or two, depending on the heat and rain).
Lunch.
Bike tools and a lock.
Library books my wife has checked out that I need to return.
A load of groceries on the return trip.
Crap from the hardware store for my wife's home improvement projects on the return trip.
Plants for my wife's garden on the return trip.

And a lot more. I haven't even started listing all the stuff I carry for the kids. Some days what I really need a rack, panniers, a pack, AND a heavy-duty bike trailer.

Like I've already commented previously, this wasn't a general comment to every pannier laden cyclist on this thread, it was directed at the OP who wanted a carbon bicycle. He would be better served by a touring bike if he actually needed to carry that many things thus defeating the purpose of having a carbon bike.
Old 06-01-16, 04:34 PM
andyprough

Bikes: Motobecane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostSS
Like I've already commented previously, this wasn't a general comment to every pannier laden cyclist on this thread, it was directed at the OP who wanted a carbon bicycle. He would be better served by a touring bike if he actually needed to carry that many things thus defeating the purpose of having a carbon bike.

Agreed. I would never blow money on an expensive carbon bike just to treat it like a mini-pickup truck like I treat this bike.
Old 06-01-16, 06:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That is awesome.
Old 06-01-16, 06:22 PM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I've always hankered for the Felt racing bikes, not that I'm likely to buy one but I think it would be pretty awesome for a fast commute, the kind where you take the lonnng way home.

The guy that parks beside me at work sometimes rides a Bottecchia CF, Ultegra, a nice commuting bike IMO. Same tires and wheels as I have but otherwise really discerning taste! More often he rides an old Trek hybrid with a milk carton on back, another good choice. It all depends on how you want to ride.
One of my bosses has a collection of fine racing road bikes (Colnago, De Rosa, etc.) as well as hybrids and such - he too chooses his ride for the day depending on mood. He parks the ride right by his office - nobody dares mess with it because of his rank.

My direct boss and I switched bikes for fun - he has a traditional (race oriented) road bike and my Renegade of course is an adventure roadie. It's a lot easier to accelerate and sustain higher speeds on his bike. However, I don't regret giving up race-ready speed for the smoother ride over rough surfaces that the Renegade provides, and it lets me ride faster on the streets that the Uptown 8 does. That does affect my commute route choices accordingly.
Old 06-01-16, 08:49 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
That is awesome.
That's cool, but there's a bazillion options available today that also let you put a rack and panniers on a full carbon bike.

Cheap - Axon Streamliner Disc:
https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Streaml...axon+disc+rack

Expensive but very lightweight - Bontrager Backrack:
Bontrager BackRack Lightweight | Trek Bikes

Image on a full carbon trek domane:
**********-ITEM-?Y's Road ???

The trek domane and emonda both come with fender mounts built in as well.

You can have fenders, rack, and panniers on a full carbon bike, and (if you buy the right one) enjoy the vibration reduction of a full carbon bike. You don't need steel or aluminum. The one thing that's harder to get around (though it becomes less of an issue as time goes on as the price of the bike drops) is whether you can leave you bike locked securely somewhere as good full carbon costs a lot more than aluminum or steel.
Old 06-02-16, 08:04 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

A coworker of mine has a custom CF gravel bike that would work pretty well for anything that I'd use it for and probably not as easily damaged as you might imagine. The two bikes that I use most for commuting both have CF forks. One of them is from 2005. Over a decade of heavy riding and no problems. My son destroyed a steel fork and ended up with a nice scar on his back after getting a stick caught in his spokes. I'm not suggesting that a CF fork would have survived that, just saying that steel doesn't guarantee a bike won't get severely damaged, even during typical use.

Both of those bikes I ride are currently sporting fenders though I'll probably take them off at least one of the bikes for the summer.
Likes For tjspiel:
Old 06-02-16, 08:13 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts

Not sure how you make a 31kg bike unless your tubes are solid. I use a carbon cyclocross bike for commuting in the winter and it has all the fender and rack attachment points that a steel bike has. It's made for cyclocross where crashing is common so it's not fragile and I don't have to worry about rust like you would on a steel bike. And I can take the fenders off, slap on some knobby tires and race it.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 06-02-16, 08:58 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Not sure how you make a 31kg bike unless your tubes are solid.
I am thinking he was talking about a fully loaded bike weighing 31 kg. Or maybe he meant 31 lb. Otherwise I can't imagine how a modern era bike would weigh anywhere near that. Maybe the whole is more than the sum of its parts. [shrug]
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 06-06-16, 04:44 PM
Swirish

Bikes: 2002 Lemond Victoire Titanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Ti. I commuted on an aluminum Allez before my Lemond and the Ti is light years better in every way.
Old 06-17-16, 05:05 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Not a commuter mate.
Old 06-17-16, 05:10 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Not sure how you make a 31kg bike unless your tubes are solid. I use a carbon cyclocross bike for commuting in the winter and it has all the fender and rack attachment points that a steel bike has. It's made for cyclocross where crashing is common so it's not fragile and I don't have to worry about rust like you would on a steel bike. And I can take the fenders off, slap on some knobby tires and race it.
It's called a dutch bike mate. They are heavy. They are also built to last, so rust is not going to be a problem. As for racing, who cares? You don't go out and buy a car with the plan of racing it, and neither should you with a commuter bike. Buy a specific racer if that's what you want to do.
Old 06-17-16, 06:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Not a commuter mate.
I suppose you'd say this bike isn't a commuter, either, "mate".

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-17-16, 06:35 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
You don't go out and buy a car with the plan of racing it, and neither should you with a commuter bike. Buy a specific racer if that's what you want to do.
Call me irrational if you like but I also have a Porsche that I've used for commuting in the past.

Last edited by gregf83; 06-17-16 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For gregf83:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.