Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

leather saddle

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

leather saddle

Old 02-19-21, 09:07 PM
leilin

Bikes: mongoose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
leather saddle

Hi Guys:

How do you think of this saddle?

thanks.

Dan

https://www.newegg.com/p/03X-02G0-00...2B&ignorebbr=1

Old 02-19-21, 09:15 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
No idea about the quality. It's for a plain seatpost, so it's worth making sure it's compatible with your bike.
Old 02-19-21, 09:42 PM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
PU leather is polyurethane. So, not real leather.
Likes For imabeliever1:
Old 02-19-21, 10:17 PM
leilin

Bikes: mongoose

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for the quick reply.

Since it is not the real leather, I will pass this.

Dan
Likes For leilin:
Old 02-20-21, 04:31 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
I bought 2 of them. The leather is real.
In a bike looks comfortable enought for the price , in another bike looks horrible,
In the most used bike the saddle tend to became squashed in the middle and the beack pressing my nuts, i fixed the last problem by regolating the inclination of the saddle but you should also regolate the center of the saddle which if is too forward the beack start "flattering" and slither against your pants.
To be honest i'am not repented to buy those saddles , they fit great and those little problems can be fixing by playng around with regolation. I have one on my condorino and the other one into my antique bike , since those bike are used rarely i'am not complaining.

An advice:
If you are looking for a saddle used for an elegant bike go for the one you posted;
If you are going to use the saddle daily go fot his model since the springs are just for aestetics , sometimes i find them annoyng https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H647402dc...ebe104a34a.jpg (or this supercool model https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H34e3175f...37ebf12e3s.jpg)
If you like the springs go for the big ones https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1vhIGi...dq6yScpXam.jpg
On my fixed i used this type https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1jjscP...Eq6AGMXXas.jpg and when i disassembled my bike i gave away the saddle , now is mounted into a restored atala (you can see the saddle there) this saddle was one of the cheapest i buyed but one of the most comfy and durable ever.

Every saddle i posted above you can find on aliexpress/ebay/other , they were cheap but share almost the same "charm" as a brooks.

Ciao
Old 02-20-21, 08:27 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
[QUOTE=leilin;21932363]Hi Guys:

How do you think of this saddle?

What is your riding position? If you are in an upright riding position it may be okay, but you won't know until you try it.

I have both Brooks (B17 & B67) and the Leather VO saddles (model 3 & 5?). I bought the VO Leather saddles after my first Brooks was stolen and thought I was saving money. The VO never really felt right and I ended up buying the Brooks saddle again.
Old 02-20-21, 12:43 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
I bought 2 of them. The leather is real.
In a bike looks comfortable enought for the price , in another bike looks horrible,
In the most used bike the saddle tend to became squashed in the middle and the beack pressing my nuts, i fixed the last problem by regolating the inclination of the saddle but you should also regolate the center of the saddle which if is too forward the beack start "flattering" and slither against your pants.
To be honest i'am not repented to buy those saddles , they fit great and those little problems can be fixing by playng around with regolation. I have one on my condorino and the other one into my antique bike , since those bike are used rarely i'am not complaining.

An advice:
If you are looking for a saddle used for an elegant bike go for the one you posted;
If you are going to use the saddle daily go fot his model since the springs are just for aestetics , sometimes i find them annoyng https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H647402dc...ebe104a34a.jpg (or this supercool model https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H34e3175f...37ebf12e3s.jpg)
If you like the springs go for the big ones https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1vhIGi...dq6yScpXam.jpg
On my fixed i used this type https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1jjscP...Eq6AGMXXas.jpg and when i disassembled my bike i gave away the saddle , now is mounted into a restored atala (you can see the saddle there) this saddle was one of the cheapest i buyed but one of the most comfy and durable ever.

Every saddle i posted above you can find on aliexpress/ebay/other , they were cheap but share almost the same "charm" as a brooks.

Ciao
The one advertised is not real leather. It clearly says, PU leather, which is an artificial leather made from polyurethane, hence the "PU." As fake leather goes, it is, if done properly, fairly realistic. Many people cannot tell it isn't real leather by looking at it, or even by touching it. I still prefer real leather, it breathes better.
Old 02-20-21, 01:00 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I doubt the PU leather will mold to one's butt like real leather does over time. Having said that, given the choice of a $30 fake leather saddle and a $30 real leather saddle, I'd go with the fake leather. I read an article about the problems with cheap leather saddles (by Sheldon Brown, I think, but I couldn't find it).
Old 06-04-21, 01:18 AM
SamyilLoset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the Gresp15C regarding the compatibility of this saddle with your frame. And so the saddle is good, but! It is necessary to look at the quality of the saddle cover, because if it is made of plastic covered with leather, then the saddle will not last long.
Old 06-04-21, 04:37 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
O' no, not another rip off of Brooks saddle. Many will buy the low cost saddle but in year from now, you will hate it. Buy a Brooks and you will never buy any thing else.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 06-04-21, 05:25 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
O' no, not another rip off of Brooks saddle. Many will buy the low cost saddle but in year from now, you will hate it. Buy a Brooks and you will never buy any thing else.
I think you mean buy a quality leather saddle..I’ve traded Brooks for Berthoud
Old 06-26-21, 04:51 PM
drahimi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wonder if it would be money well spent. Price too good to be true for real leather and solid springs and hardware. Save up for a Brooks?
Old 06-29-21, 03:28 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Here's a good thread about leather saddles from a few months ago: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...r-saddles.html
Old 06-30-21, 08:35 PM
Kloeshuman67

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leather saddle

Just buy a brooks saddle and be done, you won't regret it
Old 07-01-21, 06:21 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Kloeshuman67
Just buy a brooks saddle and be done, you won't regret it
What Brooks saddle do you recommend? I rode my new bike to work for the first time today, and it definitely needs a seat upgrade.
Old 07-23-21, 10:51 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
What Brooks saddle do you recommend? I rode my new bike to work for the first time today, and it definitely needs a seat upgrade.
It depends on your riding position. If the handlebar is about the same height as the seat, a B17 'standard' should be about right. If the handlebar is lower, get a narrower saddle (Brooks Professional is a little narrower than the Standard, and the Narrow is a little narrower than the Pro). If the handlebar is higher than the saddle, get a wider saddle. The wide model Brooks saddle is the B72 but I hear they are getting hard to find, possibly discontinued.

Some people recommend measuring your sit bones. I don't. But if you do, make sure you take the measurement in the position you sit on the bike. Sit bone width depends on the angle of the pelvis.