Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tips For Preventing Aches and Pains

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tips For Preventing Aches and Pains

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 08:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Carry Ibuprofen on long rides and take a couple when things start to ache

Old 09-09-21, 04:56 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I got into yoga when I was 30 and did it religiously for 3 years. I credit what I learned in that class (power yoga before they called it "hot yoga"...) for keeping my back and neck 95% free of pain the past 20+ years. So many people my age complain about the back or neck pain, and I too sat at a desk for decades staring at a screen, not exactly good for your back and neck. I now stand at my desk or rest on a stool if I want a break but that's another story....

To remain pain free: STRETCH. Stay flexible. I stretch the muscles I know will get tight from a ride, calves, things and hamys, before I ride and then like others have said, take it easy the first mile or two to let your body warm up. That's it. If I really push I might stretch after a ride, but I am rarely sore after, usually just beat. I know I've only been riding a little over a year and 2k miles, but I am never sore or tight after.

^works for me
Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 09-09-21, 10:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
I got into yoga when I was 30 and did it religiously for 3 years. I credit what I learned in that class (power yoga before they called it "hot yoga"...) for keeping my back and neck 95% free of pain the past 20+ years. So many people my age complain about the back or neck pain, and I too sat at a desk for decades staring at a screen, not exactly good for your back and neck. I now stand at my desk or rest on a stool if I want a break but that's another story....

To remain pain free: STRETCH. Stay flexible. I stretch the muscles I know will get tight from a ride, calves, things and hamys, before I ride and then like others have said, take it easy the first mile or two to let your body warm up. That's it. If I really push I might stretch after a ride, but I am rarely sore after, usually just beat. I know I've only been riding a little over a year and 2k miles, but I am never sore or tight after.

^works for me
I have heard numerous times about the benefits of yoga when it comes to strength (especially core) and most importantly as we get older, balance. I went to a couple of classes and the instructor got so woo- woo with shooting heart arrows and moving the life force that I couldn’t take it and quit. This was pre-pandemic. I think her style of instruction with the universe didn’t agree with my ‘just the facts, Jack’ style. Since I need to be pushed to do this, Post pandemic I will need to try another instructor.

Or in your experience, is that something I will need to learn to ignore?

Last edited by rsbob; 09-09-21 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-09-21, 10:37 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by Larituk
...Nagging aches and pains can happen to cyclists of all ages. If you have any tips for prevention please share them so we can all enjoy more time riding and less time recuperating.
Long ago in a Galaxy far, far, away... I was a skilled, competitive rider. Now days I must constantly remind myself to take it slow and careful... Or Else!
Old 09-09-21, 11:15 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have heard numerous times about the benefits of yoga when it comes to strength (especially core) and most importantly as we get older, balance. I went to a couple of classes and the instructor got so woo- woo with shooting heart arrows and moving the life force that I couldn’t take it and quit. This was pre-pandemic. I think her style of instruction with the universe didn’t agree with my ‘just the facts, Jack’ style. Since I need to be pushed to do this, Post pandemic I will need to try another instructor.

Nah that was the thing for me, I was expecting hippies and patchouli oil, but I went almost as a dare because a girl said "you want to go to a yoga class with me?". And I walked in, and was like OMG it's full of gorgeous women (Santa Monica CA) and the instructor is this ripped guy, not some hippie! -No offense if any of y'all are hippies I was like, that dude is a YOGA TEACHER??? So that immediately threw me off and then it was absolutely brutal and I never sweat so much in my life and I felt great and after that first class I went pretty much weekly for 3 years, although I never hooked up with that girl. Then I moved down to the South Bay and Santa Monica for a yoga class on a weeknight was, yeah, no chance. Since then I just sort of did some the moves to keep myself as limber as I'd become and I'm surely not where I was then, but I'm still quite flexible and when I do get an ache somewhere, I can usually work it out myself.

I think you need to try a different class if there is one available. If not, keep going and ignore the bits you don't like and just focus on the exercises.
Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 09-11-21, 09:53 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
'Yoga' has many aspects, levels and way of doing...
A rich tradition coming for ages of history.
Ultimately, yoga is more than just exercise. It does not have to be 'religion', but in its primary state is your awareness and connection with your 'being', both physical and mental.
You don;t have to get all metaphysical with it... but the instructor, when best used by practitioners, is purely a 'leader'. A path to inner awareness which begins with the physical awareness.
Not trying to get all 'incense and essentials oils' about it... but that yoga really helps create and reinforce a better connection with and knowing about yourself.
One quickly finds our own 'limitations' - the challenge is learning how to work around them and expand them.
You'll benefit more if you can put the 'instruction' in the periphery of your awareness, and focus on yourself and the yoga of you.
Yoga, like a bike ride and a few other things is 'All about You/Me', in a very good way.
Most good yoga 'classes/sessions/practices start with a period of 'self-centering' - take advantage of that - it will reduce any irritation because the outward environment is not 'you'.
A comparison, Olympic events which have a 'specific performance' - shotput, gymnastics, 100m dash, pole vault, diving, etc. See each competitor as they 'prep' their performance, their inward focus, their preparation of themselves to perform their best...
A good yoga instructor/leader will provide a good path, link of poses, a balance, which doesn;t require you to 'think' about what needs to come next... It allows you to focus in the 'now', the actual moment you are in, you are being...
Maybe give the instructor another chance, in that light ? If not, often there may be other yoga options with other instructors. Not every one may work for you...
i.e. - I don;t do well in a fast 'flow yoga'. Due to my body and muscle type, I do much better in a yoga style where poses are held for longer periods, allowing me to 'sink' (best term I could think of... not totally right...) into the pose, allowing me to self-adjust as I get in deeper... Which is quite taxing for me, but works best.
yoga has proven to be much more than 'exercise, flexibility, and core strengthening' for me. I believe it helps me know myself better.
Thx
Yuri
Old 09-11-21, 10:03 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by cyclezen
'Yoga' has many aspects, levels and way of doing...
A rich tradition coming for ages of history.
Ultimately, yoga is more than just exercise. It does not have to be 'religion', but in its primary state is your awareness and connection with your 'being', both physical and mental.
You don;t have to get all metaphysical with it... but the instructor, when best used by practitioners, is purely a 'leader'. A path to inner awareness which begins with the physical awareness.
Not trying to get all 'incense and essentials oils' about it... but that yoga really helps create and reinforce a better connection with and knowing about yourself.
One quickly finds our own 'limitations' - the challenge is learning how to work around them and expand them.
You'll benefit more if you can put the 'instruction' in the periphery of your awareness, and focus on yourself and the yoga of you.
Yoga, like a bike ride and a few other things is 'All about You/Me', in a very good way.
Most good yoga 'classes/sessions/practices start with a period of 'self-centering' - take advantage of that - it will reduce any irritation because the outward environment is not 'you'.
A comparison, Olympic events which have a 'specific performance' - shotput, gymnastics, 100m dash, pole vault, diving, etc. See each competitor as they 'prep' their performance, their inward focus, their preparation of themselves to perform their best...
A good yoga instructor/leader will provide a good path, link of poses, a balance, which doesn;t require you to 'think' about what needs to come next... It allows you to focus in the 'now', the actual moment you are in, you are being...
Maybe give the instructor another chance, in that light ? If not, often there may be other yoga options with other instructors. Not every one may work for you...
i.e. - I don;t do well in a fast 'flow yoga'. Due to my body and muscle type, I do much better in a yoga style where poses are held for longer periods, allowing me to 'sink' (best term I could think of... not totally right...) into the pose, allowing me to self-adjust as I get in deeper... Which is quite taxing for me, but works best.
yoga has proven to be much more than 'exercise, flexibility, and core strengthening' for me. I believe it helps me know myself better.
Thx
Yuri
Yuri, thank you for your detailed thoughtful response. Certainly appreciate your perspective. Will give it another shot. Much appreciated.

Old 09-11-21, 11:38 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Stretch before, aspirin and a beer after.
Tim
Old 09-11-21, 03:05 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Yuri, thank you for your detailed thoughtful response. Certainly appreciate your perspective. Will give it another shot. Much appreciated.
glad I could give my perspective.
I would also recommend doing 'live' practice/instruction vs an online thing... Especially for starting out. Good instructors will be observant of you and all in the 'practice'. And they will give personal guidance... your feedback to them will greatly help their understanding of you and ways to help you. Instructors will adapt their practice ideas, speed, effort based on the visual feedback (and vocal) they get from the group.
Yoga is not 'No Pain, No Gain'. It's good to reach beyond, but in a way that won't cause injury. I'm always aware of my own physical problems and try to not push into injury. Surpisingly, after a while, I find ways to work around the obstructions. Ultimately, the work-arounds also help in reducing the actual limitation some... certainly not completely, but better than before.
Try not to let frustration overcome you. It's felt by all. Progress comes, over time. And when you look back after some months of consistent 'practice', you'll easily see the progress.
Always be kind to yourself, we all benefit from yoga, to our own level. Yoga is all about 'you'.
It truly has been one of the great benefiters in my life. I wish I had been smart enough to have found it sooner.
my best to you!
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen: