Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What level of sacrilege? Refurb vs restoration

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What level of sacrilege? Refurb vs restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-22, 10:39 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
Sacrilege is C&V riders wearing the kit that they fit into 30 lbs ago.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-27-22, 11:25 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Or 40 year old tires, chains, maybe saddles, spokes, rims...
I estimate these were about 37 years old. Before I had time to work this bike over, I would take it out for a spin around the block, that turned into a ride downtown for coffee, that turned into a 20 mile ride. I eventually found time to mount a new set of Paselas before I overhauled the entire bike. But yeah, I shouldn't have rode them at all past my regular "spin around the block after bringing home a new bike just to say I did ride".

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-27-22, 07:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Sacrilege is C&V riders wearing the kit that they fit into 30 lbs ago.
Worse is hanging onto that kit thinking you're going to somehow fit them in the future.

Dang, I've gotta go through my closet...
Old 02-28-22, 08:34 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Looks like the bulk of the replies lean to replacing the housings AND cables (not to mention the other consumables) due to age if nothing else. Makes good sense the more I think about it. Since the cables and housing on the Schwinn are OEM, I will save them and offer them to any buyer that thinks that “restoration” is part of their plan. On the Lotus, the cables don’t look bad but the housing pieces have suffered some kinks and abrasion. Prolly means the cables should be replaced too! While neither bike is a “high end” collectible, some folks DO collect the complete line up of specific bike manufacturers and if that type of buyer presents, I’ll at least, be prepared with the LeTour (not so much with the Excelle ).
I definitely enjoyed the comments on other things that constitute “sacrilege” especially the 200lb rider wearing kit sized for a 170lb rider! No offense to the “metric” crowd (I’m well versed in the system) but the reply did reference “lbs” .