Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi from a Proctologist

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from a Proctologist

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 01:29 PM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Bikes: 1986 Proctor Road Dura-Ace, 2004 Norco XC Team FS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi from a Proctologist

That is, I'm the original owner of a Proctor road bike made here in Edmonton, Alberta, back in 1986. I think my trade-in was a Miyata Road Ace.

It has been through a few re-inventions over the years and is currently set up as a touring bike. Gruppo is predominantly Dura-Ace 7400 with a few diversions, mostly in the Shimano family. I still have the chrome fork, just swapped it out for something a bit more relaxed. 531c Reynolds tubeset with Campy dropouts.

The finish remains very fresh; paint was local Endura epoxy and the chrome is flawless. Alas the decals are starting to flake. I had a matching red/black Proctor skin suit, unfortunately it has gone astray over the years.

Aside from being light, these bikes are very strong. I was cut-off in traffic once and crashed at speed. I took the bike to Gary Townsend, who at that time was working on the later Proctor-Townsend frames. When put on his jig, we found it was still straight and true. Couldn't say the same for me or the early solid plastic helmet I was wearing; both suffering from severe road rash.

Hope you enjoy this old beauty as much as I do...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7160.jpg (93.6 KB, 259 views)
IMG_7161.jpg (93.8 KB, 257 views)
IMG_7162.jpg (94.0 KB, 258 views)
IMG_7173.jpg (86.6 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by Bike Talk; 08-24-22 at 08:05 PM. Reason: corrected info
Old 08-15-16, 01:41 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums. Good looking bike. The folks in the Classic & Vintage forum would love to see it.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-15-16, 02:55 PM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
The folks in the Classic & Vintage forum would love to see it.
Cool, I will visit over there :-)
Old 08-15-16, 05:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Welcome to Bike Forums. Good looking bike. The folks in the Classic & Vintage forum would love to see it.
...they will complain about your non drive side photos, though. Everyone's a critic.
Old 08-15-16, 05:51 PM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...they will complain about your non drive side photos, though. Everyone's a critic.
LOL, good point
Old 08-15-16, 05:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Load it up and ride to Texas.

Old 08-15-16, 07:02 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nice bicycle, you may want to go with test administrator, the proctologist label could be a real pain in the ass.....

Anywho, welcome to the forum, it is one nice looking bike, the DA 7400 group components looks like it was meant to be on that frame. Excellent job on your build choices.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-16-16, 05:23 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
welcome to the forums... nice ride.
Old 08-16-16, 05:48 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Nice bicycle, you may want to go with test administrator, the proctologist label could be a real pain in the ass.....
Bummer!

I have owned a few Proctor or Proctor-Townsend bicycles, the prettiest of which was this lovely old example that I picked up while visiting family in Calgary a few years ago(bike is a Proctor but repainted by Townsend a few years before I got it). The Proctor was one of six bicycles I bought there that trip...

Old 08-16-16, 07:49 AM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Anywho, welcome to the forum, it is one nice looking bike, the DA 7400 group components looks like it was meant to be on that frame.
Bill
Original gruppo was Shimano 600 SIS except the wheel hubs were upgraded to Dura Ace. It was slowly transformed with more DA over the years courtesy of fleabay. Even had the unusual DA barend shifters for awhile. IIRC original brakes were Modolo Speedy black anodized, sexy but ineffective.
Old 08-16-16, 07:51 AM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Bummer!

I have owned a few Proctor or Proctor-Townsend bicycles, the prettiest of which was this lovely old example that I picked up while visiting family in Calgary a few years ago(bike is a Proctor but repainted by Townsend a few years before I got it). The Proctor was one of six bicycles I bought there that trip...

That is a gorgeous bike! Are those the original Wolber rims?
Old 08-17-16, 05:11 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
That is a gorgeous bike! Are those the original Wolber rims?
No, the original wheels, Campy Record hubs laced to Mavic tubular rims were included with the Proctor when I purchased it. Also, there was an additional box full of goodies that were also included...

Old 08-17-16, 08:27 AM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool, I see some similar parts. Mine was originally also equipped with Campy pedals and seatpost. Also looks like the same 3TTT handlebar (Grand Prix Tour de France?), but clincher rims and tires.

FWIW, I've reached out to Brad Proctor via Facebook to ask if he would mind sharing the story of his frame-building years. He's currently retired in Sechelt B.C. but active with trail-building and may also be running a B&B. He had a bike shop in town called On The Edge, which appears to be gone although he still maintains a relationship with a similar shop called Off The Edge - perhaps the same shop with new owners.

I'd really like to establish if, when, and how many frames he built for the Olympic rider Curt Harnett, who is presently in Rio as Canada's chef de mission.
Old 04-04-18, 05:49 PM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Proctor Bicycles History

The man himself, Brad Proctor, has posted up some literature from back in the day on Instagram - search "trevorbradproctor".

I've taken the liberty of converting what is visible from the newspaper article into text for the benefit of forum members. I believe the article was printed in our local Edmonton Journal newspaper sometime after the World Universiade Summer Games held here in 1983.

...Again, Brad showed his tenacity. Within two years, he placed second in the Alberta 43-km time trials.

He went on to coach and met his wife Lorraine cycling. She later managed the Alberta team.

Never a man to sit still, Brad tired of his machinist job and left to work for Bob Townsend at High Country Sports.

“There was an 18-month waiting list for European bikes,” said Brad. “So one day I got some tubing and put a frame together.

“It had a few quirks but it didn’t turn out bad. I made another and raced on it.”

Brad says a good frame is tailor-made for comfort and should help a bike rider like a Rolls Royce rather than a cement block.

“Cyclists want to be able to accelerate immediately,” he said. “They don’t want a frame absorbing extra effort.”

He uses what is called a double-butting construction method. Tubing is lighter in the middle and heavier on the ends, where more stress is handled.

Others liked what they saw and, fed up with waiting for an imported frame, they asked Brad to make them one.

More orders followed until he expanded his operation to take over most of Townsend’s basement on 124th Street and 114th Avenue.

“We’ve doubled sales in the last year,” he said. “We expect to produce 140 frames this year, of which 80 or 90 will be complete bicycles.

“There must be about 300 Proctor frames in the city now. And we are selling in Calgary and Winnipeg.

“It’s a very competitive business. People think because a frame has an Italian name, it has to be good.”

Brad’s frames – he uses the best Italian and English tubing – sell for between $600 and $1,200. With the best equipment, an assembled bike could cost up to $2,500.

Twenty-five per cent of his sales are to triathletes who want better bikes.

“The Commonwealth Games and the World Student Games did a lot for the sport of cycling,” said Brad, who was in charge of cycling events during the university games.

“This is a very pro-sports town and when people see top international competition, you don’t have to sell it to them.”

He believes cycling has a future here and looks to further expansion.

“Capital is the big thing,” he said. “The marketing potential is certainly here.”

Talking to Brad, you can see he’s still ready to sell vegetables door-to-door – if that’s what it takes.

This earlier article found on the web was distributed by Canadian Press in 1979. Oddly, it doesn't mention his racing pedigree.
14 May 1979: Machinist builds bikes

EDMONTON (CP) – Bicycles built for two? That’s not Brad Proctor’s style.

Proctor specializes in building custom bicycles fashioned according to the whims and physical specifications of his individual customers.

The 28-year-old former auto machinist now is bike builder in residence at a small Edmonton cycle shop involved in manufacturing custom thoroughbred racing and touring bicycles.

If you’ve got the price – which may run up to $2,000 – Proctor will build you a bike from scratch that pampers your every whim.

“We measure the legs, upper body and arms, then use formulas to calculate the size of the bicycle frame and the angles of all the joints,” he explains.

With these measurements, Proctor then consults his client on the smoothness of the ride desired, the type of riding the customer plans to do and even the color he prefers.

With the frame complete, all fittings, from pedals and brakes to wheels and gears, can be handpicked by the prospective owner, with supplies from specialty houses throughout the worl.

The finished product, weighing only between 4.5 and 8.5 kilograms, can cost between $500 and $2,000, depending on features and one’s penchant for such goodies as titanium, carbon fibre and racing paint, which is a few grams lighter than conventional enamel.

Proctor says the extra dollars are more than justified by the beauty he will build you.

“I can build it exactly to your size and for exactly what you want to use it. And I can build it faster than you can import it.”

His goal is 50 within a year.

Proctor also maintains that the buyer is getting more for his money when he can watch the entire construction process and ask questions.

Yet his prices are still competitive with imports, once shipping charges, duty and devaluation of the dollar are taken into account.

In fact, the cost can be lower than for foreign-built bikes if the customer finishes the project himself.

“The filing and polishing take a lot of time. If the buyer wants to do that part of it himself, I’ll give him the advice he needs,” Proctor says.

The extra effort can mean a saving of about 20 per cent on the cost of the frame.

Proctor, who picked up his knowledge of practical engineering while building top fuel dragsters, went into bike construction last March.

But things haven’t yet picked up.

“It still takes me about 40 hours to make a frame. It’s not even close to a living yet.”

“So much is by eye and rules. It’s one of the few handcraft arts still left."
Old 04-04-18, 06:07 PM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brad also posted on IG some advertising literature, describing their lineup. Again, here is the text:
Proctor Townsend Frames

History
In 1978 Proctor Townsend Frames was formed to meet the needs of the growing population of cyclists. The awareness of the bicycle connoisseur became greater and the desire for the ultimate in touring and racing bicycles (frames) resulted in our desire to give these people only the best.

Description
We manufacture 4 different classes of bicycle frames.

Touring Frames
We’re especially proud of our touring frames and feel that they are the best in Canada and among the best in the world. Our touring frames come in a wide selection of sizes and colours. Our braze-on fittings eliminate the need for unsightly heavy clamp-ons. These braze-ons also make touring racks ultra rigid. For all sizes above 54 cm we recommend Reynolds 531 Club Standard or Columbus SP tubing to give the longest frame life. For sizes below 54 cm we recommend Reynolds 531, light gauge and Columbus SL.

Triathelon Performer
Many people desire a bike that can be used for both touring and racing. This bike is lighter and more responsive than a full touring bike and is not as rigid and demanding as a racing frame. We developed the Triathelon Performer which is much like the racing frames built around 1965. It has many of the braze-ons found on the touring bike but without the extra touring rack braze-ons. This frame comes in a wide choice of colours and has slightly steeper angles than the touring frame. This makes it an excellent choice for sport type riding.

Racing
Proctor road and track frames are among the first choice of Canadian National champion riders. These frames are the ultimate in responsiveness and lightweight quality. They have slightly steeper angles than the performer frames. We use Reynolds 531 light gauge, or SL and Columbus SL; in some special cases Reynolds 753 tubing. These frames come complete with the most up-to-date selection of braze-ons and cut-outs and with a wide selection of colours as well. Proctor Townsend Frames has won 8 National Championships and 16 medals.

Tandems
We have made many custom touring tandems. Because of highly specialized and individual requirements of tandem couples we prefer to deal on an individual basis. Ask your dealer for more information.
Old 04-06-18, 01:30 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Welcome! Lots of good info, already.

Old 04-07-18, 06:38 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Lol...made me look.
Old 04-09-18, 02:07 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Nice!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-16-18, 08:49 PM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Vintage Proctor literature from Brad's IG page
Attached Images
Proctor B copy.jpg (374.6 KB, 119 views)
Proctor C copy.jpg (345.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 02-17-20, 08:55 AM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Talk
I'd really like to establish if, when, and how many frames he built for the Olympic rider Curt Harnett, who is presently in Rio as Canada's chef de mission.
I haven't been able to verify this claim re Harnett, but have read at the website Maple Leaf Bikes that local Edmonton rider Alex Ongaro rode a Proctor frame at the 1984 Olympics. Alex was a member of Canada's national team for seven years. He still resides in Edmonton and is head coach at the Argyll Velodrome. I've reached out to him on FB for any details.
Old 03-02-20, 09:51 AM
Redrovermiami

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL great thread subject!!!
Old 03-08-20, 08:50 AM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had a brief FB chat with Alex Ongaro and he pointed me to a newspaper article published in 1984 which, thanks to a free trial on Newspapers.com is available. Confirms that both Alex Ongaro and Curt Harnett rode Proctor frames in the 1984 Olympics. Great read so grab a cuppa and enjoy!

Edmonton Journal Sunday, July 01, 1984
Old 03-08-20, 02:35 PM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Proctor newspaper article 1979

This article appears to be from the first year of Brad's frame production.

Edmonton Journal 3 April 1979
Old 05-17-22, 09:24 AM
Bike Talk
Proctologist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1984 Proctor Build Sheet

On the related thread (Any other Proctor owners out there?) dtbwwygfalayc posted a mention of his/her 1984 Proctor for sale on Pinkbikes. I found these two documents from that advert very interesting; the original build sheet:

and model specs: