Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 08:27 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Yeah, maybe, Charlie. But, then I wouldn't be able to do as I did yesterday: got too hot and just ripped the Hefty off my bod.
hope you didn't rip it too much as you'll need it tomorrow(Thurs) major rains predicted...squish, squish squish Can't complain though, we have had great weather this fall.
Old 11-15-06, 10:50 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
hope you didn't rip it too much as you'll need it tomorrow(Thurs) major rains predicted...squish, squish squish Can't complain though, we have had great weather this fall.
No, it was beyond repair.

I just cut a new one this morning and stuffed it into my backpack for future use.
Old 11-16-06, 09:36 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Racer: A Hefty bag!! You seem to ride a bunch, you owe yourself a rain jacket If you're cheap like me look at Performances rain (rubbery one) coat. $15.00!
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1130

Charlie, I picked one of these up, because it -really- looks like I'll need it this afternoon on the way home. I like the vents along the side and down the arms, but it looks like it still would be hot under effort.
Old 11-16-06, 09:57 AM
1fluffhead

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is the raincoat I use. Looks the same just a different bike part clearing house name. It is also 9.99 https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?s...-_-null-_-null No vents on this one, at least on the one I have, but for 5 bucks the difference of vents is totally worth it.

these are the pants that I use. www.grundens.com I always stay dry from the rain, but get wet with sweat on the hot days. Most of the time it is not too bad though.
Old 11-16-06, 10:03 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fluffhead
Here is the raincoat I use. Looks the same just a different bike part clearing house name. It is also 9.99 https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?s...-_-null-_-null No vents on this one, at least on the one I have, but for 5 bucks the difference of vents is totally worth it.
The clear Nashbar raincoat looks the same as the Performance one, but different logo. In fact, it looks like it is vented along the sides, according to the pictures.

Oh well. I could've saved a couple bucks, but I needed it fast and Performance is somewhat on the way home.
Old 11-16-06, 10:05 AM
1fluffhead

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That it does have (vents down the side), I thought you were talking about acutal pit-zips with zippers.
Old 11-16-06, 07:57 PM
Landspeed7
I wanna talk to samson!

Bikes: Jamis Dakar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, love this rain, i didnt think i was going to make it home tonight.
Old 11-16-06, 09:34 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Landspeed7
wow, love this rain, i didnt think i was going to make it home tonight.
I filed this report about my commute home, earlier, under the extreme commuting topic:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...7&postcount=69
Old 11-17-06, 09:52 AM
balto charlie

Charlie, I picked one of these up, because it -really- looks like I'll need it this afternoon on the way home. I like the vents along the side and down the arms, but it looks like it still would be hot under effort.
Excellent timing. read your ride report in Extreme. You are lucky. I missed it by 30 minutes....I am NOT complaining. It was a real Noahs ark ride.
Old 11-17-06, 09:55 AM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by 1fluffhead

these are the pants that I use. www.grundens.com I always stay dry from the rain, but get wet with sweat on the hot days. Most of the time it is not too bad though.
The one problem w/ these rain coats is the velcro tears away from the plastic. I've owned 2 over the years. I end up duct taping the velcro to the plastic. When you open them pull gently on the velcro and not the plastic. They are kinda hot but then so are all of the rain coats. Those pants look really hot...and not the sexy kinda hot, more like the sweaty kinda hot
Old 11-18-06, 09:10 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride Report - Saturday, 11/18/2006

Well, I did it! Essex to Annapolis and back!

What a nice day it turned out to be, starting out a little on the brisk side, but warmed up nicely by the time I reached Annapolis.

The ride through the city wasn't bad at all. In fact, in some places, a bicycle has distinct advantages over a motor vehicle.

It's funny how the mind works. I was so apprehensive about riding downtown that my heart rate was elevated until I reached familiar territory--The BWI Trail on Andover Rd.

I revamped my route so that I could avoid Monroe Street, because I wasn't sure what to expect at the huge interchange for 295, 95, and Monroe. Instead, I borrowed a part of a route from www.bikewashington.com that suggested using Greene St to Washington Blvd. But, after I made my left on Greene, I missed Washington and wound up on Russell St where there was some construction and that interchange that I wanted to miss. My remedy for the missed turn was to make a right on Bayard (which, incidentally has a bike lane). Bayard runs back into Washington Blvd, which has a bike path in severe disrepair. Once back on track, I had no more mistakes.

I made it to Annapolis using the BWI Trail followed by the Baltimore and Annapolis Trail in 2 hours 45 minutes. After crossing the U.S. Naval Academy Bridge, I rested in a parking lot two streets from the bridge (near Perry Circle). Here, I stripped off leg and arm warmers, then proceeded to refuel for the trip back.

The wind was in my face most of the way back, but my average speed was the same as the outbound trip--slow; just under 16 MPH. According to www.routeslip.com, the entire trip was about 77 miles with about 2,620 feet of climbing.

A map of the trip can be viewed here:

https://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=14643
Old 11-18-06, 10:37 PM
orange leader
B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I live in Parkville now. I commute to Catonsville, so I get to see a lot of rotten parts of Battlemore. Battle more is what I have to do when commuting through the hood.
Old 11-20-06, 07:45 AM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by orange leader
I live in Parkville now. I commute to Catonsville, so I get to see a lot of rotten parts of Battlemore. Battle more is what I have to do when commuting through the hood.
Catonsville is my hood. What route do you take. I know a few that reduce hills and bad hoods. I'll post if you are interested. Charlie
Old 11-20-06, 07:50 AM
balto charlie

Nice ride. I ride catonsville to Annapolis once in awhile. Next time I ride it I plan on going riding to Ellicott city, through Patapsco then on to Annapolis. I'm on bikewash as well. Great local ride info group. Monroe is BAD. When did you ride, this wknd? I wanted to ride, as the weather was nice, but HAD to battle the yard....LOTS of leaves

Well, I did it! Essex to Annapolis and back!

What a nice day it turned out to be, starting out a little on the brisk side, but warmed up nicely by the time I reached Annapolis.

The ride through the city wasn't bad at all. In fact, in some places, a bicycle has distinct advantages over a motor vehicle.

It's funny how the mind works. I was so apprehensive about riding downtown that my heart rate was elevated until I reached familiar territory--The BWI Trail on Andover Rd.

I revamped my route so that I could avoid Monroe Street, because I wasn't sure what to expect at the huge interchange for 295, 95, and Monroe. Instead, I borrowed a part of a route from www.bikewashington.com that suggested using Greene St to Washington Blvd. But, after I made my left on Greene, I missed Washington and wound up on Russell St where there was some construction and that interchange that I wanted to miss. My remedy for the missed turn was to make a right on Bayard (which, incidentally has a bike lane). Bayard runs back into Washington Blvd, which has a bike path in severe disrepair. Once back on track, I had no more mistakes.

I made it to Annapolis using the BWI Trail followed by the Baltimore and Annapolis Trail in 2 hours 45 minutes. After crossing the U.S. Naval Academy Bridge, I rested in a parking lot two streets from the bridge (near Perry Circle). Here, I stripped off leg and arm warmers, then proceeded to refuel for the trip back.

The wind was in my face most of the way back, but my average speed was the same as the outbound trip--slow; just under 16 MPH. According to www.routeslip.com, the entire trip was about 77 miles with about 2,620 feet of climbing.

A map of the trip can be viewed here:

https://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=14643
Old 11-20-06, 09:03 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride. I ride catonsville to Annapolis once in awhile. Next time I ride it I plan on going riding to Ellicott city, through Patapsco then on to Annapolis. I'm on bikewash as well. Great local ride info group. Monroe is BAD. When did you ride, this wknd? I wanted to ride, as the weather was nice, but HAD to battle the yard....LOTS of leaves
I've been a bad neighbor... let the leaves sit until the wind blows them next door! [just kidding] Seriously, I have been remiss regarding the lawn.

Saturday, I started out at about 8am.

Yesterday (Sunday 11/19/06), I did this ride with the bike club (Baltimore Bike Club), but I rode the bike home afterwards. My GF drove me to the ride start in Jacksonville, since my truck is still in the shop:

https://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=14755 (Jacksonville to Delta, PA to Essex, MD - ~75 miles @ 4037 ft of climbing)
Old 12-03-06, 08:36 AM
joshben

Bikes: 80's Schwinn converted to fixed, Surly Crosscheck 1x9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
reporting from Wheaton with pride
Old 12-03-06, 12:18 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did another long Saturday ride. This time the ride started in Essex thru Towson to Hunt Valley's Oregon Ridge Park where I barely caught the start of the Baltimore Bike Club's "A Different Stop in Hampstead" ride.

I encounted lots of headwind just getting to the park and on the first half of the ride, but I was able to catch up with some of the faster guys at the front. I was very thankful that the second half of the bike club ride had a tailwind.

After returning to the park, I still had to ride home, but I was starting to feel fatigued from battling the headwinds. I was doing well until I hit Old Bosley Rd just off of Warren Rd. What a climb! I think I was reduced to about 4 MPH in my 34 x 25 gear and I was starting to feel like I was bonking, but I made it the rest of the way in fair condition.

[Phil Liggett]"And, his legs cracked wide open!"[/Phil Liggett]

The ride can be seen here:

https://www.routeslip.com/map.php?map=15781 [~77 miles @ a little over 5,000 ft of climbing]

Last edited by NoRacer; 12-11-06 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 10:47 AM
balto charlie

Noracer: you ride alot!!
Get ready for a snowy commute tonight. Friday AM should be dicey...just like we like it
Old 12-11-06, 09:31 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noracer: you ride alot!!
Get ready for a snowy commute tonight. Friday AM should be dicey...just like we like it
Looks like we dodged a bullet, eh, Charlie?

Anyway, this past Saturday, I attempted to meet the BBC on a ride that started a few miles south of the PA/MD border. Unfortunately, I became impatient and took a wrong turn.

Here's the ride that I did instead:

Long Ride To Nowhere - 12/9/2006 [~65 miles @ ~2,700 ft of climbing]

It was cold out and I'm sort of glad that I didn't meet up with the club. The ride would have been 39 miles to the start plus 50 miles with the club plus 39 miles to get back home. That kind of riding is more suited for the Spring or Summer months, not when it's 20+ degrees F out.

Last edited by NoRacer; 12-11-06 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 11:07 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NoRacer is putting me to shame and I thought his car was fixed now so I’m starting to suspect he has developed some “bad habits.”

Just to show I’m not a total wimp, here is my ride I did at 7AM on Friday to MDOT for a MBPAC meeting. https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...ington-MDOT-HQ

This was my first ride of the season in below freezing weather which I sort of put off as long as I could but now that I have done it I can say it’s not that bad. The neat bit is I ran across 5 other bike commuters in the city and previously the most I have run into has been 3 and everyone that was out was having a grand old time, I suspect cycling is growing in momentum even in this weather which is cool.

So NoRacer drop me line sometime on my Yahoo account before you head out and maybe we can meet up in Towson, Loch Raven or the NCR trail. Two people missing a BBC ride might be more fun then each of us doing that individually and I could possibly need as little as an half hour advance notice. Or we could meet downtown and then swing by Ellicott City and pick up Charley (I think that’s near were he lives and if he is amenable?)
. . /L
=()>()
Old 12-12-06, 11:57 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Human Car
So NoRacer drop me line sometime on my Yahoo account before you head out and maybe we can meet up in Towson, Loch Raven or the NCR trail. Two people missing a BBC ride might be more fun then each of us doing that individually and I could possibly need as little as an half hour advance notice. Or we could meet downtown and then swing by Ellicott City and pick up Charley (I think that’s near were he lives and if he is amenable?)
Will do, Barry.
Old 12-12-06, 12:27 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds fun
Old 12-13-06, 12:01 AM
Fueled by Boh

Bikes: Cyclocross tourer, Redline Monofixie, Lemond Buenos Aires, surly KM, haro x3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Catonsville/ Baltimore. I'm living in College Park currently, doing the college thing.
Old 12-13-06, 06:25 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derath
sounds fun
We may have to get a BF-Maryland ride coordinated, eh?
Old 12-13-06, 01:31 PM
balto charlie

We may have to get a BF-Maryland ride coordinated, eh?
Let me know. It would be good to meet y'all. I ride all year but don't know about a century in winter....unless the temps are as nice as this week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.