Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 12-23-21, 11:30 AM
dirtman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
Yes.

Its not that hard to change the threaded cog though. You will need a sturdy bit of metal that can be placed in a vice. The handle of a spanner will do nicely. You place the driver on the handle of the spanner so that it is kept still. You'll need a 'chain whip' which is a handle with a bit of chain attached. You can get such a tool from Park Tools, used for removing cogs from track bike hubs. The tricky bit is that the chain will have to be changed out with a length that fits your cog. I found that was not difficult.
https://www.parktool.com/product/spr...n-whip-sr-12-2
I had to play with some small washers when I mounted the wider chain for the cog to the tool.

Surly has a handsome 22T cog. Its shiny but fits inside the chaincase so it can't be seen.

Easy with the right tools.
A little bit of heat works wonders too for the stubborn one's. (I don't mean take a torch to it, just warm it up, often a hair drier is all it takes).
I generally take a propane torch and warm the sprocket up just enough that its too warm to hold onto comfortably, then set the driver on the bar or old wrench and remove it with the chain whip. You don't want to turn it colors, just heat it up enough that there's a temperature difference between the driver and the sprocket. I've had a few that wouldn't even think of moving come right off by simply applying a bit of heat.
Heat only the sprocket, not the driver or the bar your going to use to hold it with. The sprocket will expand just a bit making it easier to remove.
Likes For dirtman:
Old 12-23-21, 04:48 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Nothing to do with vintage bikes

Streamline train in downtown Syracuse
British bike thread needs some streamlined LNER content.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming with a Class 290, demonstrating two of the best forms of transportation in one picture.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 12-23-21 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-23-21, 08:17 PM
bluesteak 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtman
A little bit of heat works wonders too for the stubborn one's. (I don't mean take a torch to it, just warm it up, often a hair drier is all it takes).
I generally take a propane torch and warm the sprocket up just enough that its too warm to hold onto comfortably, then set the driver on the bar or old wrench and remove it with the chain whip. You don't want to turn it colors, just heat it up enough that there's a temperature difference between the driver and the sprocket. I've had a few that wouldn't even think of moving come right off by simply applying a bit of heat.
Heat only the sprocket, not the driver or the bar your going to use to hold it with. The sprocket will expand just a bit making it easier to remove.
You folks never answered my question. I don’t have a large enough vise. And want to harvest a non threaded driver from another hub to put in my AB hub. What hubs can I use?
Old 12-23-21, 09:10 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
Its not that hard to change the threaded cog though. You will need a sturdy bit of metal that can be placed in a vice. The handle of a spanner will do nicely. You place the driver on the handle of the spanner so that it is kept still. You'll need a 'chain whip' which is a handle with a bit of chain attached. You can get such a tool from Park Tools, used for removing cogs from track bike hubs.
Not necessarily "easy," if the sprocket has been on the driver for more than half a century, as is often the case. But judicious application of penetrating oil, heat, and leverage will eventually do the trick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
threaded-driver-fix.jpg (65.4 KB, 434 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-24-21, 08:02 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Here's a Twenty for 35 in NJ.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...61954984377291

Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-24-21, 10:20 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by thumpism
Here's a Twenty for 35 in NJ.
That el-cheapo seatpost is $35 at most LBSes.

-Kurt

Old 12-24-21, 11:08 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesteak
You folks never answered my question. I don’t have a large enough vise. And want to harvest a non threaded driver from another hub to put in my AB hub. What hubs can I use?
You can use any driver from any A hub- AW or AG. They have been interchangeable since the A hubs were introduced.
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 12-24-21, 11:11 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by bluesteak
i thought I did answer (though not with conviction as I haven’t tried it myself): it appears all the Ax series hubs shared drivers and since it’s a quick change you can try one from any AW hub you have - it should go together quite easily.
Old 12-24-21, 04:20 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
I thought 15 got you 20....
Old 12-24-21, 08:54 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

I thought 15 got you 20....
Varies by state, YMMV, etc.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-26-21, 11:10 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Nothing to do with vintage bikes

Streamline train in downtown Syracuse
Nice! Love those art deco designs. I lived along the Pennsylvania RR as a kid and will never forget how impressive these GG1s were blasting by.
Old 12-26-21, 11:50 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Nice! Love those art deco designs. I lived along the Pennsylvania RR as a kid and will never forget how impressive these GG1s were blasting by.
Big Chief !!
Glad to see you back.
I was getting worried as you hadn't posted for a while.
My grandparents house backed onto the train tracks and we would spend hours counting cars....
Old 12-26-21, 12:34 PM
jkrug

Bikes: Linus Roadster 7i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Finished this brown Raleigh Sports and sold it to a neighbor just in time for a Christmas present for her husband. He'll use it as a town commuter. Had to remind him to ease up on the pedal to shift. Had to switch out the original leather Brooks--it looked like a desert cow skull when I got the bike.

Likes For jkrug:
Old 12-26-21, 06:48 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Moulton with a Sturmey 4-speed. $325 in NY.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...38051979875989

Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-26-21, 07:16 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked 2,033 Times in 1,246 Posts
Moulton with a Sturmey 4-speed. $325 in NY.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...38051979875989

Shame about the bent fork. It'll take a skilled frame guy to straighten it out but it's got alloy rims as a bonus. A good project for $100 less.
Likes For clubman:
Old 12-27-21, 12:03 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
I"m working on a Raleigh Space Rider at the moment. Almost finished except the 3 speed S/A hub won't shift. The chain that goes into the axle doesn't move at all. Short of disassembling the hub is there any way recommended to free up the shifting chain.
I thought I might flood the hub with penetrating oil then flush with alcohol or acetone and refill with oil.
Will this work or make matters worse?
Old 12-27-21, 03:50 AM
vintagebicycle

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
............................ ................................................ .....................

-Kurt
Is anyone else thinking about how hot that bike is getting hanging on the front of the boiler like that? I can just picture all the grease dripping out of the bb and hubs as it hangs there.
I'm no steam expert but I was told while visiting a steam locomotive shop that the area around the smoke box can be in excess of 650°F, and the fire box can be over 2,700K° under way.
That bike is hanging on the outside of what is likely the actual smoke box for that engine, I would think that even though air flow when moving forward would cool the bike, heat conduction would certainly cook that bike thoroughly regardless of surface cooling. .
Old 12-27-21, 03:55 AM
vintagebicycle

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
I"m working on a Raleigh Space Rider at the moment. Almost finished except the 3 speed S/A hub won't shift. The chain that goes into the axle doesn't move at all. Short of disassembling the hub is there any way recommended to free up the shifting chain.
I thought I might flood the hub with penetrating oil then flush with alcohol or acetone and refill with oil.
Will this work or make matters worse?
If something is rusted bad enough to be stuck like that I can't imagine anything short of opening it up will do it any good.
Soak it with Kroil or PB Blaster and see what happens but chances are if its rusted bad, your going to be taking that indicator out in pieces if its rusted into the axle.
If the indicator unscrews and the hub is stuck inside, you might as well just take it apart now.
They're easy to work on, once you do one, you'll likely take everyone you get apart just to be sure of what you have.
Likes For vintagebicycle:
Old 12-27-21, 08:02 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
If something is rusted bad enough to be stuck like that I can't imagine anything short of opening it up will do it any good.
Soak it with Kroil or PB Blaster and see what happens but chances are if its rusted bad, your going to be taking that indicator out in pieces if its rusted into the axle.
If the indicator unscrews and the hub is stuck inside, you might as well just take it apart now.
They're easy to work on, once you do one, you'll likely take everyone you get apart just to be sure of what you have.
I agree. I have come across SA hubs that were actually rusted inside, but they are rare. Mostly stuck hubs are full of dried up oil gunk. Freeing it up with light oil or solvents might work, but in my experience it's easier to just dismantle the hub and clean it up.
Old 12-27-21, 08:04 AM
BigChief 

Big Chief !!
Glad to see you back.
I was getting worried as you hadn't posted for a while.
My grandparents house backed onto the train tracks and we would spend hours counting cars....
Thanks. I'm fine. Just computerless for a while.
Old 12-27-21, 08:59 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
Is anyone else thinking about how hot that bike is getting hanging on the front of the boiler like that? I can just picture all the grease dripping out of the bb and hubs as it hangs there.
I'm no steam expert but I was told while visiting a steam locomotive shop that the area around the smoke box can be in excess of 650°F, and the fire box can be over 2,700K° under way.
That bike is hanging on the outside of what is likely the actual smoke box for that engine, I would think that even though air flow when moving forward would cool the bike, heat conduction would certainly cook that bike thoroughly regardless of surface cooling. .
Firebox is nowhere near the smokebox, but 400 degrees might be around the temp of the smokebox. Top tube would probably be the hottest bit; rest of the bike would still act as a heatsink. Depends on how cold it was that day.

Mind, given the expansion of air volume at such heat, those tubes would have probably blown the tires off the bead. There might be more at play here than we know.

-Kurt

Old 12-27-21, 09:00 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by clubman
Shame about the bent fork. It'll take a skilled frame guy to straighten it out but it's got alloy rims as a bonus. A good project for $100 less.
Agreed. I'd be all over it at a hundy, but $425 is just a ripoff. Straighten that fork ought to be interesting, to say the least. What tubing did they use for those pencil-thin blades?

-Kurt

Old 12-27-21, 09:08 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Agreed. I'd be all over it at a hundy, but $425 is just a ripoff. Straighten that fork ought to be interesting, to say the least. What tubing did they use for those pencil-thin blades?

-Kurt
I would guess hi-tensile but Alex was a superb engineer so I'll bet it's strong. In fact, I've never seen a bent fork or frame on a Moulton, the racks act like bumpers.
Old 12-27-21, 09:09 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by clubman
I would guess hi-tensile but Alex was a superb engineer so I'll bet it's strong. In fact, I've never seen a bent fork or frame on a Moulton, the racks act like bumpers.
Makes you wonder what caused that one to bend, given that the rack that it's missing...is the wrong one. Smacked a curb, perhaps.

Also, is it just me, or is something off with the rear dropout? Looks as if the bottom of it is not there or considerably splayed.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-27-21, 10:03 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Makes you wonder what caused that one to bend, given that the rack that it's missing...is the wrong one. Smacked a curb, perhaps.

Also, is it just me, or is something off with the rear dropout? Looks as if the bottom of it is not there or considerably splayed.

-Kurt
They're very odd drops...this pic shows it best, there's a cutout area that could cause one to think there's damage.

Likes For clubman:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.