Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why Electric Bikes are More Dangerous than Motorcycles

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 01-21-21, 12:43 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

Old 01-21-21, 01:16 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
As a cyclist and motorcyclist I have had many of the same thoughts shown in this video. The biggest danger to me is someone who doesn't really cycle much because it is too hard or takes too long, etc., and doesn't motorcycle because of the cost of gear, training, perceived danger, so they get an E Bike. These E Bike riders with poor or no cycling skills and no motorcycle skills are in the biggest danger.
Old 01-21-21, 01:25 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I don't know anyone wearing amour on a MC.
Old 01-21-21, 01:34 PM
bikeaddiction1

Originally Posted by Gyro
Most people I know that ride a motorcycle have an armored jacket or at least a leather jacket and many wear armoured pants or at least Kevlar liner jeans. The guys I ride with are not very young though, and I do see young riders without much more protection than a helmet. We are legally required to wear an approved helmet here.
Likes For bikeaddiction1:
Old 01-21-21, 01:37 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
For those who didn't watch, bottom line:

Click-bait: A chipped e-bike may be wicked dangerous.
Also: Idiots may be wicked dangerous.

-mr. bill
Old 01-21-21, 01:44 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Why Electric bikes can be more dangerous than motor bikes.... That, I would go along with...
Likes For 350htrr:
Old 01-21-21, 01:51 PM
Gyro

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
Most people I know that ride a motorcycle have an armored jacket or at least a leather jacket and many wear armoured pants or at least Kevlar liner jeans. The guys I ride with are not very young though, and I do see young riders without much more protection than a helmet. We are legally required to wear an approved helmet here.
I've been wearing a MC helmet since 1971. As for the rest, boots, jeans and a leather coat depending on temp. The jackasses I see on crotch rockets won't be saved by any kind of armor.
Old 01-21-21, 02:00 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Update: Vidiot claims the top speed was achieved by pedaling downhill.

Revision:

Click-bait: Idiots on e-bikes may be wicked dangerous.
Also: Idiots may be wicked dangerous while operating bikes, e-bikes, motorcycles, automobiles, trucks, or while on foot.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 01-21-21, 02:11 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
You do now.

I never ride without the following gear:
1 - Full face helmet
2 - Leather jacket with CE approved armor
3 - Leather pants with CE armor that zip to the jacket
4 - Leather boots to mid calf
5 - Leather gauntlet gloves
6 - Ear plugs
On the track (I race), add a back protector and mouthpiece to that list. One of my street bikes is a 'crotch rocket',and the leather and armor is still a potential lifesaver.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 01-21-21, 02:12 PM
bikeaddiction1

I've been wearing a MC helmet since 1971. As for the rest, boots, jeans and a leather coat depending on temp. The jackasses I see on crotch rockets won't be saved by any kind of armor.
I know an Orthopedic Surgeon who, when he found out I road a motorcycle said, "You guys are responsible for half our business. Not the young guys, they just kill themselves. Its the older riders we have to fix up".
I know guys on sport bikes that are very good riders, but I also see young guys who get a licence and before they have any riding experience they go and get a powerful crotch rocket. Armoured gear will not protect them when hitting a wall at 100 mph.
Old 01-21-21, 03:00 PM
Gyro

I know an Orthopedic Surgeon who, when he found out I road a motorcycle said, "You guys are responsible for half our business. Not the young guys, they just kill themselves. Its the older riders we have to fix up".
I know guys on sport bikes that are very good riders, but I also see young guys who get a license and before they have any riding experience they go and get a powerful crotch rocket. Armoured gear will not protect them when hitting a wall at 100 mph.
I live in a 200,000+ size city and we lose 3 to 4 a year. A few years back a jackass was flying down a 40 mph road. Tried to run a light and ended up hitting the door of a car going through. His bike exploded on contract with the door. A surgeon crash his road bike on a bike trail going to work at his hospital, paralyzed from the neck down.

I've had two crashes. Once on my road bike crossing RR tracks and the other on a MC riding on a utility road along side railroad track. Riding one handed, smoking with my left. I caught the weeds with the left bar end and went into the weeds hitting a tie, I flew over the handle bar, the kid on the back seat over me and the bike over both of us. Ever try to laugh with the wind knocked out of you?
Old 01-21-21, 03:08 PM
Gyro

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
You do now.

I never ride without the following gear:
1 - Full face helmet
2 - Leather jacket with CE approved armor
3 - Leather pants with CE armor that zip to the jacket
4 - Leather boots to mid calf
5 - Leather gauntlet gloves
6 - Ear plugs
On the track (I race), add a back protector and mouthpiece to that list. One of my street bikes is a 'crotch rocket',and the leather and armor is still a potential lifesaver.
The guy that owns the bike shop I do business with races on both frozen lakes and road courses in the summer. He of course wears amour when racing. He doesn't when riding around town.
Old 01-21-21, 06:08 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I think motorcycles are definitely safer than e-bikes. The underpowered scooters might not be any safer.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 01-22-21, 09:22 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
By far, the most significant factor affecting the safety of an object is the user. Assigning inherent risk directly to the object is bad journalism.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-22-21, 09:39 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Click-bait: Idiots on e-bikes may be wicked dangerous.
Also: Idiots may be wicked dangerous while operating bikes, e-bikes, motorcycles, automobiles, trucks, or while on foot.

-mr. bill
Agree absolutely. I would even say idiots are wicked dangerous, period. 1-delta-10-tangos are absolutely ingenious at thwarting all possible attempts at tamping / slowing / reducing / stopping their danger to others and themselves. In the end after killing you they will probably sue your estate and win.

Last edited by grizzly59; 01-22-21 at 09:42 AM.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 01-22-21, 09:59 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
By far, the most significant factor affecting the safety of an object is the user. Assigning inherent risk directly to the object is bad journalism.
If you actually watch the video he does blame the riders and their ability to access these bikes. I worry more about the relation of these to pedestrians and the negative impact its going to have with regular cyclists. These things allow inexperienced recreational cyclists to move at twice their normal speed with a bike at least 50% heavier then their regular bike. Where hitting a pedestrian at normal speeds with a normal bike the resulting force of the collision with an ebike is much higher making them a bigger danger since they also aren't constrained to the auto paths where pedestrians can be more wary of them but also anywhere a regular bike goes increasing the danger.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-22-21, 07:40 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
If you actually watch the video he does blame the riders and their ability to access these bikes. I worry more about the relation of these to pedestrians and the negative impact its going to have with regular cyclists. These things allow inexperienced recreational cyclists to move at twice their normal speed with a bike at least 50% heavier then their regular bike. Where hitting a pedestrian at normal speeds with a normal bike the resulting force of the collision with an ebike is much higher making them a bigger danger since they also aren't constrained to the auto paths where pedestrians can be more wary of them but also anywhere a regular bike goes increasing the danger.
I hear you. But again this motorcycle advocate (per his channel description) is doing nothing more than describing the possible negative outcomes of riding a non-conforming e-bike in a non-conforming way. Canadian regs limit e-bike speeds to 32 kph yet he is hitting 60 on his e-bike so definitely some scofflaw activity on his part. Where I'm from, his e-bike would be classified as a moped, requiring registration and insurance. It would also be prohibited from riding in a bike lane.

Video theme: Motorcycles are better so let's demonize the competition by contriving an elevated level of hazard.
Old 01-22-21, 09:01 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I agree motorcycles are safer than e-bikes on streets with car traffic. The e-bike niche of being faster than a bike and slower than all other powered vehicles is a relatively unsafe niche, IMO.

And I think a high powered motorcycle is safer than a low powered motorcycle, generally speaking.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-22-21, 10:16 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I hear you. But again this motorcycle advocate (per his channel description) is doing nothing more than describing the possible negative outcomes of riding a non-conforming e-bike in a non-conforming way. Canadian regs limit e-bike speeds to 32 kph yet he is hitting 60 on his e-bike so definitely some scofflaw activity on his part. Where I'm from, his e-bike would be classified as a moped, requiring registration and insurance. It would also be prohibited from riding in a bike lane.

Video theme: Motorcycles are better so let's demonize the competition by contriving an elevated level of hazard.
Although the source may have something of an ulterior motive, sadly the logic is sound. Being near NYC I've seen plenty of these things careening about, helmetless, not respecting the right of way of pedestrians and others and moving at speeds they just shouldn't be for the surroundings. There have been plenty of people properly using them but having ridden the boardwalk in the Far Rockaways I've seen these things being wizzed around old people and children by kids and the uncaring and it can be a scary combination.
Old 01-23-21, 06:58 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I agree with what you have written here, but to those who view the video with the intent of understanding it, they will get the spirit of the message. To your point about objects, I enjoy hunting and shooting. Firearms are often one of those objects to which inherent risk is assigned.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-23-21, 07:57 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Russ Roth - I think that you and I are pretty much in agreement that humans can wreak havoc with things that they either cannot or don't care to control well. We probably also agree that e-bikes (and scooters) need strong consideration in overall transportation rule-making. I have seen some local and state laws that seem reasonable, yet there doesn't seem to be much in the way of enforcement. There is also much inconsistency in the language. My own observations are that e-bike users are for the most part riding in a safe and courteous manner; however I have seen a few acting irresponsibly. Personally, I think that e-bikes can be a huge plus in our future transportation and environmental plans, but with that will likely come some unwelcome regulations to control those few selfish humans ignore good, prudent behaviour.
Old 01-23-21, 12:19 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Don't most jurisdictions require some sort of training, testing and licensing to operate a motorcycle?
And, conversely, can't you just get on an E bike and go, in most places?
It seems that the danger is not so much inherent in the machine, as in the nut holding the handlebars.
Old 01-23-21, 10:19 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
I've seen both... the people who gear up, and the guys in shorts and t-shirts, with their girlfriend perched on the back in shorts, tank top, and flip flops (I mean, I like exfoliation as much as the next girl, but some apparently carry it to extremes...).

Originally Posted by jon c.
The underpowered scooters might not be any safer.
Yes, I've heard the argument that they're not-- partly for the "underpowered" reason, and because they tend to have smaller wheels, and because like e-bikes, people are less likely to wear safety gear, and because in at least some places, they're more likely to be ridden by people with little or no experience.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 01-24-21, 08:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Seems to me it is just anti E-bike drivel.

BTW I do not own an e-bike.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-24-21, 12:10 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
The video makes some very good points and I don't see it as e-bike drivel, rather the dangers observed by e-bike riders. I see them all the time; they have the mindset of a bike rider, but should really have a mindset closer to that of a motorcyclist.

The only thing keeping more idiots off the roads creating unsafe conditions is the relatively expensive price of an e-bike.
Likes For work4bike:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.