Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommend a chain link tool?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Recommend a chain link tool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-16, 02:53 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I have kind of a crappy chain tool. It worked well enough on my 6-7 speed chains where I just pushed the pin back in, but in sizing a 10 speed chain I have to put it in my vice and use a box wrench on it to get enough leverage. My next one I want it big enough that I can put enough torque on the handle without getting a permanent indentation in my hand.

scott s.
Old 03-26-16, 05:28 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I use a $5 Rivoli tool from 1980 to remove links, then a quick-link or whatever the chain came with to install. I don't bother with chains that need to be pinned back together.
Ain't nobody got time for that !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-06-21, 09:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
These days with swaged pins in chains, I recommend that chain tools only be used to take new chains apart to shorten them to length, and then use a quick link. I dont trust a chain with swaged pins to stay in place if they are pushed back in with a chain tool.

Any one else have comment on this?
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-06-21, 04:17 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts
I run a local bike coop where we get all kinds of inexperienced volunteers and diy workstand renters.

All the Park Tool ct-3 (and variants) have been broken. The main body appears to be sintered metal and just isn't very strong when abused. Every other cheap or no-name chain tool has been broken as well. The most durable by far has been the Park CT-5 with it's cast stainless steel body and replaceable pins.

I've handed a small pair of bolt cutters to the volunteers who are stripping bikes for recycle. Much quicker and no damage to the tool.
Likes For rickpaulos:
Old 10-06-21, 04:19 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
These days with swaged pins in chains, I recommend that chain tools only be used to take new chains apart to shorten them to length, and then use a quick link. I dont trust a chain with swaged pins to stay in place if they are pushed back in with a chain tool.

Any one else have comment on this?
yeah, a fine subject for it's own thread.
Likes For rickpaulos:
Old 10-07-21, 02:07 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
I run a local bike coop where we get all kinds of inexperienced volunteers and diy workstand renters.

All the Park Tool ct-3 (and variants) have been broken. The main body appears to be sintered metal and just isn't very strong when abused. Every other cheap or no-name chain tool has been broken as well. The most durable by far has been the Park CT-5 with it's cast stainless steel body and replaceable pins.

I've handed a small pair of bolt cutters to the volunteers who are stripping bikes for recycle. Much quicker and no damage to the tool.
Bolt cutters are the best chain removal tool, two available in the shop - one 18" and the other is 36"
"

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 10-07-21, 02:30 AM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
As with modern bikes I only use quick links so my recommendation is a Wolf Tooth Pack Pliers, not the multi tool. The pliers work well removing and installing quick links, hold two spare links, is thin and easily packable and has a spoon on the end of one handle to help change tires or fix a flat. I carry few tools on my rides just these pliers, fixit sticks and a-small patch kit, great tool.