Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Predictions about upcoming new bike tech

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Predictions about upcoming new bike tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 03:10 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
@TricycleTom, I'd like to see one of those .... pretty freaking heavy and complex, and also expensive. The reason bikes can be (Can be) affordable is because they are simple. When you have the first prototype, we can have a much longer discussion.
I started on prototyping the overall package and a fully integrated suspension to reduce weight, cost, and complexity: https://www.compositesworld.com/colu...mobile-history
https://microship.com/bob-stuart/
Old 10-18-21, 05:09 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by rrjmaier
If you have ever experienced a sudden change in direction when a wind gust catches your front wheel you will know how disconcerting such sudden and unanticpated movements can be
Oo my turn. I think we'll see steering dampers within the next 20 years. We've been relying on geometry to stabilize the bike for a while now and MTBs especially are running up against how much stability can be squeezed out of geometry without ruining the fun. Especially true for gravel bikes that must be ridden in tight pelotons on road.
Old 10-18-21, 06:01 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I predict more and more OEM-sourced parts on bikes (and with that will come proprietary designs). It's already happening to some extent, but I think that in the future we (consumers will not have the ability to upgrade things like stems, seat posts, seats or handlebars unless it's a design made specifically for that bike (and therefore licensed by that manufacturer). These designs will continue to become more integrated into the frame and overall bike design.

This might extend to electronics as well. Rather than an aftermarket Garmin or Wahoo head unit attached to handlebars, bikes might come with an integrated screen built into the handlebar/stem design that connects to a smartphone and built-in wheel/cadence/power sensors on the bike.

I do also wonder if the era of being able to easily customize a bike by selecting a frameset, wheels, components, finishing kit, seat and handlebars all from various manufacturers may eventually come to an end, especially the designs of these parts become more integrated into the frame design. It's getting increasingly hard to find top tier bikes with standard seat posts, for instance. Companies like Specialized have already done this with wheels, seats, etc - will they take it a step further and develop their own S-works drivetrains? Will companies like this always rely on SRAM and Shimano to provide parts for their flagship products?
Cannondale made a big step in this direction by creating BB30 and their own Si cranks. But that was pretty straightforward; a couple bearings, a couple cranks, and a couple cogs.

To actually get into the business of brakes and gears, with intricate moving parts, would be a big investment for companies when they can just buy derailleurs and calipers and levers from Shimano or Tektro.
Old 10-18-21, 06:43 PM
Twowhe19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Automatic braking with warning before collision?
with automatic speeding (for ebike) with alert sound if detect danger behind?
Old 10-18-21, 07:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
100 years from now everything will be virtual reality. Nobody will ride outdoors. Physical activity will become extinct.
Old 10-18-21, 11:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Tandem e-bikes

Old 10-18-21, 11:23 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Oversized tubes with internal storage sounds like a bad idea from an engineering standpoint.

This requires larger access holes which creates stress concentrations (weak spots). The larger tube diameter will also stiffen the frame making for a harsh ride.

I'm imagining something similar to aircraft construction with access panels for service. Probably look ugly.
​​​​​​I agree, in principle, whit this opinion.

As one who owns and rides a 2106 Specialized Stumpjumper carbon frame with a storage area in the huge downtube, I have to say that that compartment goes unused.most of the time, although I do usually keep a spare inner tube in there.
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 10-19-21, 01:05 AM
JGledson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Automatic gear shifting?

Now that the technology for measuring speed, ascent, power output and electronic shifting is commonplace, would there be a demand from less experienced riders (who DON’T want an e-bike) to have the bike make the decision for them?
It must be possible for software to take all the data and work out the most efficient gear choice using data from the power meter and gps and information about the particular rider.

maybe this already exists and I just haven’t heard of it?
Old 10-19-21, 03:01 AM
DuncanC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thought

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I’m not looking to start a debate about the pros and cons of specific novel features or of bike evolution generally. I’m just imagining what a state of the art bicycle might look like ten years from now, whether we feel good, bad, or indifferent about it.

Here’s what I think is coming (along with my prediction on each feature’s likelihood):

- (Very likely) Anti-lock brakes. Should be easy enough with everything going to hydraulic discs. You just need to add some wheel speed sensors, a computer, a little valve and motor on each caliper, and a power source. This might not be a totally pointless feature. Many will argue it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist--perhaps that’s true. Regardless, I will be surprised if it does not appear in the next several years.

- (Probable) Tire pressure monitoring system. Also quite simple; would follow from technology used on cars for many years. They just need to develop smaller and lighter pressure sensor/transmitter units (probably located on the valve stem), and some software for the cycling computers/smart phones. You’ll never have to wonder how many PSI each tire has, or worry that you might not know when a tire suddenly begins to deflate.

- (Absolutely certain) Smaller, lighter, and more efficient motors for e-bikes. Plus smaller, lighter, and longer lasting batteries as well. Perhaps there will be solar charging on the bike (even something like photovoltaic paint, so the entire frame is effectively a solar panel?) And regenerative braking, so instead of working hard to build up kinetic energy and then throwing it away as friction, you could recover some of that energy to put back into the battery when slowing or stopping.

- (Possibly?) Rear-view camera and cockpit display (probably integrated with the cycling computer, which is already becoming more of a multi-functional display). Garmin Varia radar already gives an audible and visual indication, but it only shows that there is a vehicle (or two or more vehicles) approaching, with a relative indication of their distance and speed. A camera will let the rider remain facing forward and see a lot more detail. Is it a dump truck that’s weaving all over the road and flinging dirt and rocks everywhere? Just a Mini Cooper two lanes to the left? Technology to do this already exists and would just have to be refined/adapted for bikes.

- (Hopefully) Much better bike locks. Better = lighter and smaller but also tougher to defeat, while not becoming outrageously expensive. It seems like lock technology has not progressed very much in the past several decades. There have been little, incremental improvements, but a determined thief can still defeat any lock without much effort. I’d like to see high tech materials change this situation, so that the limiting factor will become “how strong is the structure you’re locking your bike to?”

What do you folks think? What predictions would you add to the list?
I think the greatest innovation that would improve cycling enormously is universal bike lanes. Then a torque/cadence sensing light weight electronic shifting and affordable geared or CVT hub coupled with a belt or better still shaft drive. One with enough range to obviate the need for a front derailleur.
DuncanC
Old 10-19-21, 05:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Oo my turn. I think we'll see steering dampers within the next 20 years. We've been relying on geometry to stabilize the bike for a while now and MTBs especially are running up against how much stability can be squeezed out of geometry without ruining the fun. Especially true for gravel bikes that must be ridden in tight pelotons on road.
The Hopey Steering Damper has been around for a long time. It got a blip of interest around 20 years ago, but never caught on.
Old 10-20-21, 09:46 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Twowhe19
Automatic braking with warning before collision?
with automatic speeding (for ebike) with alert sound if detect danger behind?
I don't know about the first part of your idea... maybe at some future time.

The alert sound if detect danger behind is already here. It's called Garmin Varia, and it works very well. (I just got mine a few months ago, and I love it.) This will certainly become less expensive and more common in coming years--more integrated, too.
Old 10-20-21, 11:40 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Automobile style CVT drivetrain in the rear hub, which is also paired with a power/cadence meter to keep me at my perfect power output of 230 watts and at 90 rpm.

This will certainly help my knees out, since I find it hard to control myself when I get passed on the MUP and feel the need to chase down the rabbit at 700+ watts. With this setup, I believe I'd never be able to do more than 230 watts, nor mash at less than 90 rpm and blow my (already bad) knees out.
Old 10-20-21, 12:32 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Automobile style CVT drivetrain in the rear hub, which is also paired with a power/cadence meter to keep me at my perfect power output of 230 watts and at 90 rpm.

This will certainly help my knees out, since I find it hard to control myself when I get passed on the MUP and feel the need to chase down the rabbit at 700+ watts. With this setup, I believe I'd never be able to do more than 230 watts, nor mash at less than 90 rpm and blow my (already bad) knees out.
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 10-20-21, 03:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Riveting

Nuvinci already makes one. My friend has a bike that uses it.
Old 10-20-21, 03:20 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Have you tried it ?
Old 10-20-21, 03:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by holytrousers
Have you tried it ?
No. i ride a 50cm bike, and he rides a 66.

He seems to like it, though.
Old 10-21-21, 04:39 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
I think the move is towards cleaner and lighter - wireless or drive by wire rather than cables, 1x with internal rear gearing, probably belt driven. More compliance on road bikes (because road bikers don't want "comfort"), and likely the introduce of adaptive suspension based on presumably speed / angle / gps. Integrated bespoke stuff will presumably be a lot more common too - no need to external lights, gps mounts or cameras.

Something like a steering lock built into a bike would be great too. Physical restraining locks can be easily overcome by anyone, but what use is a bike that needs parts replaced in order to steer it? Possible the same sort of thing with the drive train, if you need a key (physical or digital) in order to get the cranks to turn, then it doesn't really matter too much if you can steal the bike because you won't be able to sell it.
Old 10-21-21, 09:50 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I knew manual CVT hubs existed, but I'm predicting a hub that can ALSO sense power and cadence and automatically adjust the CVT hub to keep everything between MY pre-specified cadence and power output thresholds, nothing above between 180-230 watts, and between 75-95 rpm, just for example (to match my requirements specifically).
Old 10-21-21, 10:10 AM
Riveting

Originally Posted by holytrousers
I'm glad multiple someones are pioneering this CVT effort, this design may look good on paper but I don't like it regarding maintenance. Too many exposed mechanical parts in hidden nooks and crannies that look really difficult to keep clean. I'd prefer it to be FULLY enclosed like a typical IGH, and using a standard chain (so that the real wheel kit be retrofitted to any standard bike frame, and not just frames designed for belt drives with a break in it), and on a single cog chainline like most IGH's use, would be much better IMHO. I also want to see the hub monitor power and cadence and adjust the CVT ratio automatically to keep me within my pre-specified power and cadence bands, like an auto's CVT does.
Old 10-22-21, 09:39 PM
AJW2W11E

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
This is for bike commuters.
Helmet with a camera in the back and a 1 square inch led screen right at the level of your forehead, integrated into the visor, so it doesn't obstruct your view.
When you want to cross a road, or change a lane.you peer upwards for a full rear view. No more guessing about a blind spot. Camera has a SD card that rolls over.
Old 10-22-21, 10:43 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Maybe a bit silly but how about an automated pint ordering app that puts in an order when 100 meters from a pub. I can totally see the usefulness of this.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-24-21, 09:23 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
@TricycleTom, I'd like to see one of those .... pretty freaking heavy and complex, and also expensive. The reason bikes can be (Can be) affordable is because they are simple. When you have the first prototype, we can have a much longer discussion.
I started on prototyping the overall package and a fully integrated suspension to reduce weight, cost, and complexity: https://www.compositesworld.com/colu...mobile-history
https://microship.com/bob-stuart/

Where's my much longer discussion?
Old 10-24-21, 11:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
A helmet with a camera which projects onto a visor so one can keep their head down in the most aero position

Old 10-25-21, 01:22 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
When the number of seconds since 1970 can no longer be represented in 32 bits, on March 19, 2038, everybody's derailleur will stop working. Unless you've got a 64-bit bike...
Old 10-27-21, 12:10 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
When the number of seconds since 1970 can no longer be represented in 32 bits, on March 19, 2038, everybody's derailleur will stop working. Unless you've got a 64-bit bike...
A 32-bit integer can count the number of seconds since 1970 out to the year 2106. The issue with 2038 is that the standard 32-bit time_t data type is implemented as a signed integer, which allows it to represent dates prior to 1970 (back into 1902), but essentially makes it a 31-bit integer for counting forward from 1970.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.