Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your "go-to" ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-21, 10:10 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh well, I don't bike commute anymore, but I hear ya. for you it's a necessity. for me it's an escape from everything
Most people escape into drugs, tv or food. Not all escapes are as healthy as this one
But let me ask you, if i may, what are you referring to when you are saying everything?
Old 10-24-21, 10:48 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Mine is a 7 mile loop around the area where I live. I treat it as a personal time trial each ride. It has two short fairly steep climbs that I attack and one long lesser climb that I try to maintain speed. I ride this course clockwise most of the time. When I feel my muscles have memorized the loop too much, I ride it counterclockwise. If I struggle too much I give it up for about a month and do another 10 mile loop instead.
Old 10-24-21, 11:09 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Depending on the mileage desired, my 'go to' ride involves a loop or two around Shelter Island, Harbor Island and\or Fiesta Island.
I used to live in Claremont Mesa and while I didn't ride it all the time, one of my favorites was out and back to the Point Loma Lighthouse. I was there for a conference in Feb 2020 and rented a bike just to ride there again from downtown.
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 10-24-21, 12:17 PM
Dimago123

Bikes: Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Wicker Park to Ft Sheridan is one of my favorite weekend morning rides. It's a great road and amazing to see all the cyclists and group rides that are on that route.
my mother in law lives in fort Sheridan and told me how annoying all the cyclists are who go around the fort. And then I told her I’m obsessed with cycling. We get along ok now
Old 10-24-21, 01:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
But let me ask you, if i may, what are you referring to when you are saying everything?
oh nothing special, the usual mumbo jumbo of obligations & stressors like work & dealing w/ distant elderly parents. nice to get out on the bike for a little time just for me
Old 10-24-21, 02:09 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Indian Hill Road looking north into the Horse Creek drainage. A 42 mile loop from my house north of Cheyenne. Mostly gravel with some asphalt on the way home.

Likes For Inusuit:
Old 10-24-21, 03:13 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh nothing special, the usual mumbo jumbo of obligations & stressors like work & dealing w/ distant elderly parents. nice to get out on the bike for a little time just for me
Thanks for sharing that, may they give you warmth and good company when you're not riding
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 10-25-21, 01:47 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
Tres San Pedros

Upper San Pedro to Middle San Pedro to Lower San Pedro forms a four-mile loop about a mile from my house. They were re-paved this summer and went from very bumpy to smooth as silk. It's almost as if they did me a personal favor!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 10-25-21, 02:55 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Thankfully I have no need to travel miles by car to begin an epic ride. Roll out my garage and no farther than 8.5 miles from my driveway can yield a good crank spinning work out. Starting around a (+/-) midnight time frame and under a full moon with music as company = a no traffic cosmic drift experience

https://www.strava.com/activities/4669579494
Old 10-25-21, 03:18 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 10-25-21, 04:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
snaking road up steep mountainside
yikes! not for me!
Old 10-25-21, 11:21 AM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I have several go to routes that are about two hours in duration. Typical rides are on rural roads with rolling hills. Below ride is 62 km with about 500m of climbing.

Old 10-25-21, 11:49 AM
StanJF

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL3, Koba MTB, Zieleman Type Special criterium bike, Gitane Pro track bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lake Natomas loop

Around Sacramento it’s pretty flat until you get in the foothills. There’s a 12 mile paved, cycling and pedestrian only loop around Lake Natoma near Folsom. It has some gradual elevation changes and superb views of the lake, salmon hatchery and Sierras. It’s not very crowded during the week with lots of spots to stop for a breather if so needed. That’s my “go-to” ride.
Likes For StanJF:
Old 10-25-21, 11:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Indian Hill Road looking north into the Horse Creek drainage. A 42 mile loop from my house north of Cheyenne. Mostly gravel with some asphalt on the way home.

I think I'd get a gravel bike to ride that, if only I didn't have to drive 20 hours to get there!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-25-21, 12:00 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Columbia River Gorge Historic Highway, to Crown Point and back is the backbone of many rides. Options off the highway for more miles and climbing. Partial climb up Larch Mountain if even more time. Full Larch for a long grade. Making it a loop via Bull Run. Extend it to Cascade Locks for a full day ride.
Used to live in Hillsboro (like the Hillsborough in Nor. Cal., but without the "ugh" at the end decades ago. Was not into cycling at the time (married to the wrong woman but drove the Columbia Gorge many times. Beautiful drive. So many waterfalls along the way. Can actually take it all the way to Boise, ID, if one has the time. Also can do a "u-turn" at Bridge of the Gods and return on the WA side of the Columbia. Hmmmm...maybe I'll put that on my bucket list for a near-future getaway trip....cheers....
Old 10-25-21, 12:10 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeler_fanatic
I have several go to routes that are about two hours in duration. Typical rides are on rural roads with rolling hills. Below ride is 62 km with about 500m of climbing.

That's close to area I roll often. I hate losing ride time driving places since I have kids, but I make it up that way often. With more time I go longer on the piece out to the marina and back also. I know "when" it is a decent time to go.

This is a "go to" route of about 2 hours for me that similar area:
https://www.strava.com/activities/6156322917
Old 10-25-21, 12:12 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
My Specialized Rock Combo is my go to ride for this loop. Recently put some Schwalbe Land Cruiser tires on it, which seem ideal for gravel but still run quiet and smooth on pavement. I'm fortunate to have several great dirt road rides within a mile or two of my house.
Old 10-25-21, 12:14 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
When my wife and I want a quick, convenient route, we have one pretty good option, a rectangular loop of 9.5 miles. It starts and ends right out our driveway, as we live about midway along one of the rectangle's long sides. This is the only part of the ride that's on a road. The other long side and both short ends are paved MUPs.

At one end of the rectangle, there is pretty scenery, especially at sunset. At the opposite end, there are lots trees and a pond. The long sides take us through residential neighborhoods and farm fields. There are no commercial, industrial, or urban areas.

The route sits on a slight incline, not steep, but just enough slope to make it interesting. We can choose how we want to take the incline by riding the loop clockwise or counter-clockwise: descent at the beginning and end of the ride with climbing in the middle, or climbing at the start and end with descent in the middle.

We ride this quite often, and I've also walked and jogged all or part of it many times. It is one of my favorite things about the place where we live.

Edit: Looking at the map, I realize it's technically more of a parallelogram, with slightly curved ends.
Your ride loop is around the entire perimeter of Montana? wow
Old 10-25-21, 12:16 PM
stephr1

My typical ride is about 12 mi. and is usually as the sun rises. Abt a 1/3 of the ride edges the Stevens Creek on an MUP (The Stevens Creek trail....mostly quiet at that time of the morning). For a change up (usually once a week), I can follow the MUP all the way out to the SF Bay for ~30 mi. R/T. Lots of water fowl to be seen: White, Black-Tipped Pelicans, California Brown Pelicans, 4-5 species of duck (including wood, teal and mallard), egrets, herons (blue and black-crested night) Canada geese, Avocets, Sandpipers and lots and lots of seagulls (especially when a storm is on its way). Occasionally see jackrabbits and Golden Eagles along with red-tailed hawks. Hard to pay attention to where you're going when looking at the wonderful scenery. Silicon Valley is also bounded by the Santa Cruz Mtns. on the west and the eastern foothills in the east (well, duh! Seen some amazing sunrises over the east foothills.

Planning to modifiy my route so I can still make a longer ride when the trail out by the bay gets all muddied up like from the recent rains we just had ("Bomb Cyclone" or "Atmospheric River"?).
Old 10-25-21, 12:52 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I live in waltham, MA, about ten miles from where I work in Boston's back bay.
But my most regular because I want to ride is to head west on route 117, and wind up on great back, country roads in Westin, Lincolna and other towns. I go past the Dcordova Museum (a modern art museum surrounded by a huge sclupture park), past the gropeius house, past Walden, and into Concord center. Sometimes I go Carlisle. Those roads are great, rural, they go past horse farms and vegetable frams, ponds and lakes, battlefields from the revolutionayr war, etc. 20 to 35 miles, depending on what I do.
Old 10-25-21, 02:12 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
That's close to area I roll often. I hate losing ride time driving places since I have kids, but I make it up that way often. With more time I go longer on the piece out to the marina and back also. I know "when" it is a decent time to go.

This is a "go to" route of about 2 hours for me that similar area:
https://www.strava.com/activities/6156322917
Rolling View is one of my destinations also. You're a bit faster than me - my kids are probably a bit older too . I sent you a Strava request...
Old 10-25-21, 04:56 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I live in Bend Oregon so for road-ish rides we use the Larkspur trail to loop through town and maybe part of the Deschutes River path. Off-road we like the DRT and our new favorite is the Metolius Preserve, although it's a bit of a drive.
Old 10-25-21, 05:25 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
Used to live in Hillsboro (like the Hillsborough in Nor. Cal., but without the "ugh" at the end decades ago. Was not into cycling at the time (married to the wrong woman but drove the Columbia Gorge many times. Beautiful drive. So many waterfalls along the way. Can actually take it all the way to Boise, ID, if one has the time. Also can do a "u-turn" at Bridge of the Gods and return on the WA side of the Columbia. Hmmmm...maybe I'll put that on my bucket list for a near-future getaway trip....cheers....
I have been waiting for someone to petition to have that bridge renamed as I'm sure it offends someone.
Old 10-25-21, 05:30 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by kahn
I have been waiting for someone to petition to have that bridge renamed as I'm sure it offends someone.
Prob'ly the atheists and a few agnostics
Old 10-25-21, 07:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Originally Posted by stephr1
Prob'ly the atheists and a few agnostics
Imagine some dude in Florida wanted to go to Pittsburg to buy some steel, but was really bad with maps and ended up at your house instead. So he murdered your dad and brother who were visiting, and moved in to your house. First he let you and your kids live in the garage, until he decided he wanted the garage so he let you live in your minibarn. Then his son ***** your daughter, and when you attacked his son he murdered you. Then he decided the minibarn was useful so he got the police to come and relocate your two remaining kids to a homeless camp across town.

A couple generations later, when his grandkids are still living on the property formerly yours, and your grandkids have moved back to the area, imagine what they think when they realize his grandkids built a gazebo in the old backyard, and call it "Trek 520" because you had a Trek 520 hanging in your garage back in the day. The gazebo builders think it's a quaint name, and it honors the people who lived there before.

Does anybody alive at the end of the story feel offended?

It's a weird story, but truth is stranger than fiction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.