Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ollie rides a '57 Bianchi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ollie rides a '57 Bianchi

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22, 03:40 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I note that you're comparing drops with hoods, so the question I would ask is what percentage of the time did pro riders spend in the drops BITD? Is it really comparable to the amount of time spent on the hoods by pros today?
No. That is the rider position in the pics. The green lines show the saddle and drops being level between the 2 and the top of Contador's bike maybe being 1cm, nothing significant, lower than the top of Coppi's bars.

As for being in the drops or hoods, a pro rider is a pro rider. It hasn't changed.
Old 02-17-22, 03:59 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I don't normally watch or seek out these types of videos. There's a definite exaggeration, and perhaps the target audience will bite and say, "Wow! Look at him suffer! Those bikes were just horrible!" Who knows? I've climbed some with a 24t low. It wasn't ideal, but it wasn't torture. And I'm no high-performance athlete.

Maybe a lot of the perception about saddle to bar drop changes has to do with sloping top tubes and more visible seat post?
Old 02-17-22, 05:21 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I entirely disagree.

even if we accept the saddle height as equal.
comparing in the drops vs on the hoods, yes the riding style has evolved.
When climbing though, both racers would be most likely on the hoods or the tops.
While the crank angle is about the same shown, the bend at the knee is different, BB height can play a roll.
In short, I would not use this a a comparison. Bar width plays a factor also.
Interesting but I am not buying in to this comparison.

Where the video Bianchi rider was suffering was even at 30 kph on the flats, indicates a fitness problem, beyond the larger drag.
When climbing, the Bianchi fellow just did not have the power, and was not really adapting to the bike.
Make that his only bike for 6 months, and I bet he would do better, if he put in the hours.
Again, low on watts. In any one gear, mechanically the two bikes were probably equal in drag.
factor in rims, clothing, possibly a bit better aero, (no idea how to factor in the discs) on the modern bike.
Nod to the Bianchi as the bars might be 36-38cm ctc and the mod bike 42? 44?
Old 02-17-22, 05:30 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
1936. White lines show a 3-4 inch drop on Di Paco's seat to tops. Ain't nothing new.

Likes For iab: