Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Wahoo's New Rollers? For who?

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-22, 02:17 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts

Just took a look at the new product by Wahoo, which is (sort of) a set of rollers that's "smart," but must be combined with power meter pedals to really work in Zwift, or anything else. Just wondering who it's for?
Old 02-22-22, 03:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
"Wahoo says the Kickr Rollr “makes the ideal warm-up platform before events or big training sessions”. We expect to see Wahoo-sponsored professional teams using the Kickr Rollr to warm up before time trials and key road races throughout 2022 and beyond."

This^
Old 02-22-22, 03:26 PM
PeteHski

It's basically a glorified wheel-on trainer, but probably less stressful on your expensive frame.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-22-22, 04:18 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
I saw that today as well and thought i wonder who would buy that? I know some people are hugely into rollers - not something I would get into but to each is own.
Old 02-22-22, 04:55 PM
PeteHski

The more I look at it, the more I like the concept. Super-quick to set up (probably it's major USP), more stable than conventional rollers and less stress on the frame compared to a conventional trainer.

But on the other hand it's pretty expensive for what is really not THAT much different to a wheel-on trainer. Obviously needs a power meter on the bike too. So I think it's a niche market in the trainer world. I can see how pros would like it for a quick warm-up on their race bike. A few seconds to clip in the front wheel and you are off!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-22-22, 07:15 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by PeteHski
"Wahoo says the Kickr Rollr “makes the ideal warm-up platform before events or big training sessions”. We expect to see Wahoo-sponsored professional teams using the Kickr Rollr to warm up before time trials and key road races throughout 2022 and beyond."

This^
OK, but that doesn't sound like a big market to me, I guess. Will be interesting to see how it sells.
Old 02-23-22, 09:10 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by dmanthree
OK, but that doesn't sound like a big market to me, I guess. Will be interesting to see how it sells.
Yeah I doubt there's a big market for it. Could create a good marketing presence at pro races though. Could it be a viable alternative to a conventional trainer? Probably not after reading Rainmaker's review. An alternative to traditional rollers? Maybe for a few people.
It looks quite nice to ride for a steady-state Zwift session.
Old 02-23-22, 09:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I think they were embarrassed that their sponsored riders were using the feedback sports omnium before/after races. This is probably better than the feedback in that you don't have to take off the front wheel
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-23-22, 10:10 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Before clicking through, I wondered how this could work. My Kickr can have high starting resistance for a short time, which could be bad on a set of rollers. Oh. The front wheel is locked in place.

This is extremely easy and fast to mount and unmount for a warmup, nice. But is there electric power available at local races? Maybe your vehicle has 120V AC?

DC Rainmaker's review, starting at the "Road feel and realism" section. Interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG3BziTojIA#t=5m8s
Old 02-23-22, 03:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
That's a good question about power. It could certainly generate its own power, but that would be a departure for wahoo
Old 02-24-22, 11:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
DC Rainmaker basically says its for folks who don't want to potentially dirty their hands taking off a wheel or two to put their bike on a trainer (or maybe for multi-bike households), but only if they have power meters on all their bikes.
Old 02-24-22, 11:53 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
He said it would be ideal for his wife, who falls into that category and has a power meter, but it is incompatible with her 650b wheels.

When I first saw this, I got all excited, but the reality is that it quite highly priced for what is almost a "dumb" trainer if you don't have a power meter.

OTOH the Feedback Sports thing is extremely highly priced considering it basically doesn't do anything; maybe that informed the pricing. (I spent about an hour on one trying to avoid hypothermia when my kid was racing.)
Old 02-24-22, 12:57 PM
himespau 

I actually ride on the full-sized Sportcrafters rollers (they make the Feedback Sports omnium, and this has the same overdrive progressive resistance roller - but full width) and a fork stand for my zwifting currently (using either powertap hub or assioma duo pedals). I bought it long ago planning to ride the rollers properly, but laziness and then later knee surgery that made me afraid of falling kept me from ever doing that. When I first heard of these (and their higher resistance than the Elite Nero), I briefly got excited and thought it might be time for me to finally get ride of the fork stand and have a truly realistic riding experience (my rollers are mounted on a home-built platform that has front to back motion), but these aren't real rollers. Plus the price is much higher than the couple hundred bucks I paid for my current setup (back before Zwift was a thing).
Old 02-25-22, 05:34 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by himespau
DC Rainmaker basically says its for folks who don't want to potentially dirty their hands taking off a wheel or two to put their bike on a trainer (or maybe for multi-bike households), but only if they have power meters on all their bikes.
That's the kicker; how many actually have power meters on their bikes? It's a nice product, but I can't see this selling in quantity.
Old 02-27-22, 10:51 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
That's the kicker; how many actually have power meters on their bikes? It's a nice product, but I can't see this selling in quantity.
of the six I rode with Saturday, four had power meters.
it just depends on the group you hang with.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 02-28-22, 07:38 AM
himespau 

I actually have 2 on my current bike. Assioma pedals and a wheel built up with a powertap hub. Not intentional though. I had wanted the pedals but didn't have a reason for them. When I got hit by a car and my bike wrecked, I got some for the replacement build (10 months later, still waiting on insurance to reimburse me, but that's a different story). Then, when I went to build up some wheels for the new bike, the best hub available in my parts bin turned out to be a powertap hub that I'd forgotten about (even had spokes of the perfect length to lace the rear to my new rims - not the front for whatever reason).
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-01-22, 12:50 PM
PeteHski

I think these days most people using high-end trainers would have a power meter on their bikes as a matter of course. So I don't think that's a big issue given the price point. The bigger issue is justifying it instead of, or in addition to a high-end direct drive smart trainer. Having read Rainmaker's review it doesn't look quite capable enough to replace even a mid-range direct drive trainer for serious indoor training, or even their own wheel-on trainer for that matter. So that leaves you considering it only as an additional weapon, which then starts to look a bit over-indulgent!

If it was cheaper, I would be tempted just to have something I could throw my bike on for a quick pre-event check or casual spin. But not at this price.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-01-22, 04:39 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Looks to me like they'd be good for traveling to races or for seriously space limited riders who want a wheel on trainer. I don't see them as competition for either "real" rollers or a wheel-off smart trainer, but they have their spot.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-01-22, 04:41 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
If you're in the market for a smart trainer, there is an excellent chance you already have a power meter or you're in the market for one.Lack of power meter really isn't a bar to entry for the smart trainer market.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 03-02-22 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-01-22, 08:28 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by bbbean
Looks to me like they'd be good for traveling to races or for seriously space limited riders who want a wheel on trainer. I don't see them as competition for either "real" rollers or a wheel-off smart trainer, but they have their spot.
If they really wanted to capture the "traveling to races" market, making it rideable without power would be ideal. I supposed for the day before or after the race in your hotel if you don't want to find an outdoor ride, it'd work.