Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pro's Closet

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22, 08:56 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Pro's Closet

I recently sold a bike via the Pro's Closet, and the experience was *very* positive. I posted the two required photos, described the bike exactly as it sat, and received a very fair offer. I accepted the offer, took the bike to a LBS for packing and shipping, and off it went. They received the bike, verified the condition, and sent the payment as agreed in one day.

They're a class act, for sure. But I'm betting some of you already know this.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 03-02-22, 09:00 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
I'm thinking the way the bike market is right now, you would have made more money selling it to a private party using Facebook Market, Pinkbike or Craigslist.

Last year I sold a 2015 Giant Road bike for $1100. I paid $1500 for it in 2015.
Old 03-02-22, 09:14 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Of course you could make more money selling it on Facebook, Craigslist, etc but Pro's Closet makes the process very easy and also you don't have to worry about getting stabbed in a parking lot after haggling with a stranger and collecting a bag full of cash.

I like that Pro's Closet will give you an offer from photos in advance. No mystery on what you're getting into if you want to proceed.

I'm curious, how much did the packing/shipping cost?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-02-22, 09:42 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by msu2001la
....and also you don't have to worry about getting stabbed in a parking lot after haggling with a stranger and collecting a bag full of cash.
Lol, I'm not sure where you live but those types of things don't happen where I live. I've done the majority of my facebook and craigslist sales in a gas station parking lot.

I addtion to getting less from Pros Closet then you lose more money paying to ship the bike.

But hey...if it works for some people so be it.
Old 03-02-22, 10:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm curious, how much did the packing/shipping cost?
Originally Posted by prj71
I addtion to getting less from Pros Closet then you lose more money paying to ship the bike.
https://www.theproscloset.com/pages/sell-trade
Shipping to PC is free. And a box should be free from a shop. So someone is out the cost of packing tape if they somehow dont have a roll at their house and some foam pool noodles from the Dollar Store. Oh, and some zipties. Thats like $10 total for a really secure packing job.

As for Craigslist, its obviously different depending on where you live. People come to my house and I go to their house all the time for CL transactions. Maybe the lack of incidents is blissful ignorance and luck, or maybe it isnt as dangerous as claimed. Maybe its just location specific.
I have purchased probably 8 things over the last 10 years in the Chicago area, both suburbs and multiple parts of the city- never any issue. Those have all been in parking lots or on the street outside buildings...it just doesnt seem like some inherently dangerous process if you apply even a bit of common sense.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-02-22, 10:15 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Shipping to PC is free. And a box should be free from a shop. So someone is out the cost of packing tape if they somehow dont have a roll at their house and some foam pool noodles from the Dollar Store. Oh, and some zipties. Thats like $10 total for a really secure packing job.
Good to know. I wrongly assumed the seller would have to pay to have the bike shippped to PC.

As for Craigslist, its obviously different depending on where you live. People come to my house and I go to their house all the time for CL transactions. Maybe the lack of incidents is blissful ignorance and luck, or maybe it isnt as dangerous as claimed. Maybe its just location specific.
I have purchased probably 8 things over the last 10 years in the Chicago area, both suburbs and multiple parts of the city- never any issue. Those have all been in parking lots or on the street outside buildings...it just doesnt seem like some inherently dangerous process if you apply even a bit of common sense.
I don't use craiglist anymore, but when I did, I did make a few transactions right in my driveway. The majority though were done at a nearby gas station.

Now I just use Facebook marketplace and either ship the item or if it's local...meet the person at a gas station.

I live in a low crime area. It's virtually non existent.
Old 03-02-22, 10:18 AM
msu2001la

Lol, I'm not sure where you live but those types of things don't happen where I live. I've done the majority of my facebook and craigslist sales in a gas station parking lot.

But hey...if it works for some people so be it.
Like anything, there's always a cheaper option, but I see value in the service Pro's Closet provides and have no issue paying for that. The Pro's Closet has been very successful and is buying/selling thousands of bikes a month, so it's clear I'm not alone in this view.

I also wouldn't ever buy or sell a car through a private transaction. I know many who have, and it's (usually) been fine and they've saved money on the deal, but I'm more than willing to pay the premium that comes with buying/selling through a company that does this type of business.
Old 03-02-22, 10:29 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Before this goes too far, I just want to say that my "stabbed" post was a bit tongue in cheek. I don't actually think people are being stabbed frequently during these transactions.

I have also sold a bike (in Chicago) through FB marketplace to a total stranger and the transaction happened on the street in front of my office building, and it went totally fine. That said, the bike I sold was listed for $1000 and I took $900 for it. I don't know that I'd be as comfortable doing a $2k+ sale that way. There's a lot that can go wrong, and as the prices go up I'd be more inclined to utilize Pro's Closet instead.
Old 03-02-22, 11:39 AM
dmanthree

I'm thinking the way the bike market is right now, you would have made more money selling it to a private party using Facebook Market, Pinkbike or Craigslist.

Last year I sold a 2015 Giant Road bike for $1100. I paid $1500 for it in 2015.
i've tried selling via local on line markets, and honestly, it's a total PITA. Biggest issue? No shows. I'm content with the way I sold it.
Old 03-02-22, 11:58 AM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
I am curious if selling through a service like the Pros closet would be better than craigslist for high end bikes
I would expect more knowledgeable buyers, those who understand the value of a high end bike and be willing to pay a fair price
I have sold a lot of cheap bikes on CL, as it seems to me buyers on craigslist only want pennies on the dollar type deals
Old 03-02-22, 12:04 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by PBC peugeot
I am curious if selling through a service like the Pros closet would be better than craigslist for high end bikes
I would expect more knowledgeable buyers, those who understand the value of a high end bike and be willing to pay a fair price
I have sold a lot of cheap bikes on CL, as it seems to me buyers on craigslist only want pennies on the dollar type deals
I've sold on CL before, for bikes and other things. They are bargain hunters, IF they show at all. F-it. I had a painless experience with TPC.
Old 03-02-22, 12:15 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
what percent commission do they take?
or is it a flat fee?
Old 03-02-22, 01:14 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by PBC peugeot
what percent commission do they take?
or is it a flat fee?
They aren't selling the bike for you, they're buying your bike. The offer they give you is what you get.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-02-22, 01:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
One other good thing about buying through a middleman like Pro's Closet, from a buyer's standpoint, is that it makes it much less likey you will buy something that is either damaged or stolen. Part of the price is reflected in their mechanic's tune-up, adjustments, and vetting.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-02-22, 01:37 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
One other good thing about buying through a middleman like Pro's Closet, from a buyer's standpoint, is that it makes it much less likey you will buy something that is either damaged or stolen. Part of the price is reflected in their mechanic's tune-up, adjustments, and vetting.
Or fake. There are a lot of Chinarellos and fake Zipp/Enves out there being passed off as real.

Also, TPC posts clear photos and descriptions, along with make model and year, so you know exactly what you're getting into. No surprises on what kind of drivetrain components are on it, how old it is, etc.

And, you can pay with a credit card.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-02-22, 01:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I hadn't even thought of that.
Old 03-02-22, 02:57 PM
dmanthree

Exactly. They wanted two *clear* pics of the bike prior to the offer, and sent the payment only after they unpacked and inspected the bike. They also want full ID of the seller, and the serial number off the frame. The fact that they cover their a$$ means they also cover yours if you buy from them.

Last edited by dmanthree; 03-03-22 at 09:11 AM.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 03-02-22, 03:06 PM
steelywheelie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I’ve sold 2 bikes to Pros Closet. They give you different offers for Cash, or a larger Credit toward purchase in their online store, or another Credit offer toward purchase at one of their participating network of brick and mortar bike shops. They’ve made fair offers. And they do pay your shipping.

Yes, you could probably get more if you list via Craigslist/Pinkbike, etc…. BUT the cons of that have also been listed here already.

Last edited by steelywheelie; 03-02-22 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-02-22, 06:19 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by steelywheelie
I’ve sold 2 bikes to Pros Closet. They give you different offers for Cash, or a larger Credit toward purchase in their online store, or another Credit offer toward purchase at one of their participating network of brick and mortar bike shops. They’ve made fair offers. And they do pay your shipping.

Yes, you could probably get more if you list via Craigslist/Pinkbike, etc…. BUT the cons of that have also been listed here already.
True, the cash amount was, logically, the lowest amount. But I'm selling out and didn't need another ride, or any other gear.
Old 03-02-22, 06:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by dmanthree
True, the cash amount was, logically, the lowest amount. But I'm selling out and didn't need another ride, or any other gear.
Just out of pure idle curiosity, how much more was the merchandise credit offer? (Fractions are fine if you don't want to get into specific dollar amounts.). Apologies in advance if I am being too nosy.
Old 03-02-22, 08:09 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Pro’s Closet seems to be a class act. I have bought some vintage Campagnolo smalls from them and everything as described and fair.
Old 03-03-22, 06:45 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I bought a high end used bike from them last year before used prices went completely insane. The bike was well packaged, in terrific shape and ready to ride in a few minutes. I'll definitely do business with them again...but not right now. Their prices now are very, very high reflecting the realities of the bike market.

I predict TPC's pricing will fall throughout this year as panic-bought '20 and '21 models hit the used market and the supply chain starts to normalize for new bikes. I'm already starting to see discounts at TPC, which was definitely not the case last year. According to Bicycle Retailer, 4Q21 demand was lower than 4Q19 demand. I think the insanity of the last 18 months is starting to subside. It still needs a year, but I think Feb '23 will be the time to hit up Pro's Closet for sweet deals on basically unused '20s and '21s.
Old 03-03-22, 07:39 AM
dmanthree

Just out of pure idle curiosity, how much more was the merchandise credit offer? (Fractions are fine if you don't want to get into specific dollar amounts.). Apologies in advance if I am being too nosy.
There were three levels:
$2770 for straight purchase
$2908 for a "trade up" credit (at participating dealers)
$3185 for a store credit at PC

Since I was "selling out" I took the purchase offer.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 03-03-22, 08:57 AM
msu2001la

The local "trade-up" option is interesting. They send you a voucher that you can use at a local bike store to purchase a new bike. It looks like there are several stores in my area that participate in this.

The differences in the offer prices seem fair to me. TPC is definitely trying to get people hooked into their ecosystem of buying/selling with the "store credit" option. Their CPO guaranteed buyback program is designed this way as well. You buy a CPO bike from them and they give you a guaranteed offer for buying it back after 6, 12 or 18 months: https://www.theproscloset.com/pages/...-owned#buyback

It's almost like leasing a bike at some point. The example they give is a 2018 Stumpjumper that would essentially cost you $1400 to ride for a year vs. $3750 to own forever. I'm assuming those are cash offer prices, not store credit. If you're the kind of person that buys/sells bikes frequently, this type of system might make a lot of sense.

Also, the free shipping is relatively new. Back in 2016 when TPC was still basically just an Ebay shop, I solicited an offer for them to buy a bike from me. It was absurdly low ($375 for a 3 year old Cannondale CX bike with 105) and they wanted me to pay $49 for a shipping label, plus I still had to find a box and pack the bike. I obviously passed on that.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-03-22, 09:26 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by dmanthree
i've tried selling via local on line markets, and honestly, it's a total PITA. Biggest issue? No shows. I'm content with the way I sold it.
I haven't run into that yet. Closest I've come is the person that says they are really interested in the item and then disappear or come up with some excuse why they can't buy the item they were interested in.

I sh it you not...I had a lady that indicated that she was very interested in an item I had for sale for $25 then at the last moment when I was trying to schedule a meet up time and place she responds and tells me..."I'm sorry, I'm not going to be able to buy this item. I just realized I'm down my last $50 for the week before I get paid"

How in the hell do you just realize that at the last moment?!
Likes For prj71:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.