Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 09:43 PM
Causual_Cyclist

Bikes: -Trek FX 7.1 2011, heavily upgraded and modified for comfort and durability.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Can you show us some more pictures of your handlebar setup? It looks like an interesting handlebar. https://crustbikes.com/products/jungle-runner-bar
Sure! I don't really have all that many pictures, but here are a few from my gallery

Left and right brake/shifters Shimano EF51 3×7 speed running 3×8 speed drivetrain. Brandless bell on the left, mirror mount on the right without mirror for privacy. Grips were purchased used, supposedly stock from a Birdy city folding bike. As mentioned previously, knockoff Jungle Runner bars are trimmed to 640mm width and 90mm stem. Messager bag shown too.

Photo from a while ago. Different stem and a half(?) basket.
Likes For Causual_Cyclist:
Old 04-12-22, 08:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
these newer models sure are pretty. since I wrecked on my MTB in February, lately, I've been using a road bike & this older 7.0 Alpha. got a new pic of it last night

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-13-22 at 03:40 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-13-22, 12:50 PM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
That specific 7.0 you have pictured was my first bike - after not riding for my entire adult life until my retirement. Bought it new, not knowing anything current or relevant about current bike tech. Then over time, changed pedals.. Half clips.. Bought a new almost completely flat bar... Then cut it way down. Slammed the stem. New grips. Bullhorns. Continental 5k's... Added a cateye. AND...... a dropper post. Because my old bones wouldn't allow me to swing my leg back over the seat on a dismount. The bike was fast - and it was twitchy in largest measure because of the ultra short bars. But that said, for a while, I was maintaining 14mph average over an 18mi loop. Then.... Other things interceded, and my average went down.

When my grandson's bike was stolen, I donated the bike to him.... but kept the pedals, half clips, cateye.... and the dropper post. Put all that on my new Domane. Still miss the FX, though. The Domane is NO faster than that old bike. And it was miles cheaper than the Domane.
Likes For raymellott:
Old 04-14-22, 01:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by raymellott
That specific 7.0 you have pictured was my first bike - after not riding for my entire adult life until my retirement. Bought it new, not knowing anything current or relevant about current bike tech. Then over time, changed pedals.. Half clips.. Bought a new almost completely flat bar... Then cut it way down. Slammed the stem. New grips. Bullhorns. Continental 5k's... Added a cateye. AND...... a dropper post. Because my old bones wouldn't allow me to swing my leg back over the seat on a dismount. The bike was fast - and it was twitchy in largest measure because of the ultra short bars. But that said, for a while, I was maintaining 14mph average over an 18mi loop. Then.... Other things interceded, and my average went down.

When my grandson's bike was stolen, I donated the bike to him.... but kept the pedals, half clips, cateye.... and the dropper post. Put all that on my new Domane. Still miss the FX, though. The Domane is NO faster than that old bike. And it was miles cheaper than the Domane.
interesting story! I bought it from a guy who thought cycling would be his new diet. but then he said his wife got pregnant & his plans changed. he said he only rode it a handful of times. it was basically brand new & clean as can be, just old. it's also 1 size to big for me (XL aka 22" I think). but a deal, is a deal, is a deal. the test ride was fine & it's actually quite comfortable for me. it's just that no one in the family can ever borrow it, due to it's size. & that's OK w/ me. thought about gifting it to a tall friend, but then I thought nah, I like it. maybe if I ever find a good deal on a straight up Large & maybe a newer model! hehe
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-23-22, 01:59 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
2014 Trek FX 7.3 in Black Titanite (metallic). 25" / XL size.

Original frame, fork, headset, and spacers. Stock V-brakes with Kool Stop Thinline pads. Dura-Ace 9000 shifters, derailleurs, crankset. Carbon seat post and handlebars. Specialized Ribcage II bottle cages, Prologo Scratch Pro saddle, S-Works SL 110mm stem, Ultegra (6800) pedals, DT-Swiss R23 Spline wheels, Vittoria latex inner tubes, and Soma Supple Vitesse EX 700x42mm tires. As pictured weight is a hair over 20.5 lbs.

Bike is very comfortable and fast over all road surfaces. Effortless is a word that comes to mind. Steers and climbs really well, too. A bike that doesn't fight you (or me)--it just works, and works well. Trek did great on the frame/bike in its original flat bar form, and it makes a great drop bar bike. Love this bike!

Love the subtle graphics on these. 7.3, just so you know I can read correctly.

Love this paint color!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 04-23-22, 02:22 PM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Gorgeous!
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 04-23-22, 03:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Originally Posted by Chickenwings
Gorgeous!
Thank you! Taking it out for a longer ride with a friend today, so we'll see what a night's rest does in observing and calibrating things further. Reminds me that I need to check cable tension in the rear here--it had settled a little bit and the last few (on the small/outside) cogs were having a little trouble.
Old 04-23-22, 04:36 PM
Chickenwings

Well report back when you can and let us know how you made out!
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 04-23-22, 11:06 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
2014 Trek FX 7.3 in Black Titanite (metallic). 25" / XL size.

That Dura Ace crank looks right at home on that bike too.
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 04-24-22, 12:53 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Well report back when you can and let us know how you made out!
Did about 30 miles with a friend--definitely tougher miles than I had anticipated. A good bit of climbing, and the grades were typical Seattle (aka not mild). Like before, it makes speed easily and keeps it easily thanks in large part to the tires that don't let you get caught up in a bunch of small bumps. Did a lot of pushing it on the flats for extended times, which to me means I need to keep at putting mileage down (like I've been meaning to all year, but work and crappy weather restrict). Still, to locomotive on level roads felt really good. My friend likes it, and got a big laugh when he lifted up the bike--pretty darn light for such a huge frame with big tires and no carbon fork. The FX climbs well in the saddle and out of the saddle. I'm the only limitation, and thankfully the verve or springiness of the aluminum frame helps me out (certainly at my height and weight).

I'm used to slaving over bikes to get them either refurbished or the frame and components shined up or a certain tire or a certain look etc to the moon (I do enjoy bring bikes back to life). This thing had immaculate paint. It built up easily with Tiagra and took almost nothing to come to the conclusion that it was going to be a really good bike. Built it with Dura-Ace and it was the same--heck, that Dura-Ace even looks natural on it (which I didn't expect). It didn't cost that much to buy second-hand. The bike has not fought me and doesn't fight me when riding--I get a lot of speed and comfort without having to bury myself to achieve it. It's the best kind of baffling.

Now, a race bike, especially one with clearance for honest 28mm tires, will still generally be a snappier, quicker bike, even if the motor (me/you) is the same. But if you introduce a lot of varying pavement qualities, the jackhammer effect starts taking a toll, and then it ends up being no faster, at least at my not-getting-paid-for-this "just a guy" level.

For everyone else that is interested in a drop bar conversion on a bike like this, you can get groupsets (or even individual components that will pair with what's already on the bike) to match your gear/cog count out back, put some larger, nice rubber on it (and run it at lower PSI), run a slightly shorter stem with compact drop bars and have most of the bike I have with a fraction of the financial outlay. 8-speed R2000 Claris, 9-speed R3000 Sora, and 10-speed 4700 Tiagra all have the same STI hood shape, which is really comfortable and looks great. If you're not a DIY person, then the conversion can cost money to have someone else do. I'm happy to help either way.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 04-24-22, 09:49 AM
Chickenwings

Thanks for the update ROS. Glad it's working out and yes, it's a beauty of a looker. I sure like the drop bar look!
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 04-24-22, 11:52 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
hello all, hope you've been doing well. I was an active member years ago when my love for fx's started and now am coming back to say hi I've owned 5 FX's since 2011 and currently still have a white 2011 fx 7.3 and a gray 2015 fx 7.4 . although I admittedly dont ride as much as I used to, I still have these bikes in my garage and love them.

just wanted to share a tip I learned that has made me love riding my fx's - if the roads you ride on are relatively smooth, move down a tire size or two! I ride 25c and 28c (fx 7.4 and 7.3, respectively) and I love the bikes so much with these tires. so much easier on your knees to get to speed, so much more feedback when you stomp on the pedals. the roads by me are newly paved so riding these bikes around town has been amazing!! they also make your bike "as fast as" the higher end fx models (which also go to smaller size tires as you climb up in range). Just wanted to share this with anyone looking for a much more aggressive/faster ride.

aside from that, I just wanted to say hi and mention that the higher end 2022 fx's are now on treks website and WOW!!! I always thought matte black bikes were kinda boring until I saw the below 2022 FX 6

Looks gorgeous but one thing I will not get over is trek's use of cheaper (almost generic) parts on bikes that cost over a grand. At $2,500+ for the 2022 fx6, why is the seat post aluminum? why does it still come with the plastic $10 throw away pedals???? plus, the site states they come with Shimano disc brakes but many folks are reporting that a generic brake brand is being used instead? and a generic seat too?! for that price, this is easily $500 of parts you have to purchase AFTER buying the bike for $2500 to get it to a reasonable level. So not worth it, IMO.

I will not rant anymore - just wanted to share this beauty. im putting this on my list as a bike to buy 5 years down the road when I can score one for a good deal

anyway, hope everyone is enjoying their fx's!!

Last edited by sh00k; 04-27-22 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For sh00k:
Old 04-25-22, 05:50 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
why does it still come with the plastic $10 throw away pedals????
To that bit, I think the throw-away part is key -- most owners truly will throw the pedals away when they replace them with their high speed clipless or power meter pedals. I think the pedals are there for the test ride around the shop parking lot and then once home...in the bin they go.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-25-22, 07:05 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
To that bit, I think the throw-away part is key -- most owners truly will throw the pedals away when they replace them with their high speed clipless or power meter pedals. I think the pedals are there for the test ride around the shop parking lot and then once home...in the bin they go.
good point but the fx's actually used to come with "good" pedals if you bought higher end models previously. perhaps they should come with 'not terrible' pedals in lieu of plastic throw-aways...?
Old 04-25-22, 07:26 AM
Chickenwings

Dang...without really meaning to, I've become a Trek FX fan as well but now apparently I need new pedals!
Old 04-25-22, 09:46 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by sh00k
good point but the fx's actually used to come with "good" pedals if you bought higher end models previously. perhaps they should come with 'not terrible' pedals in lieu of plastic throw-aways...?
I certainly can't speak for Trek, but I wonder if they're trying to position the FX Sport like more premium road bikes, some of which either don't come with pedals at all or the pedals they do have are truly just demonstration pedals.

I'm a flat pedal rider and don't need my pedals to clip, unclip, report power, brew coffee, or anything else. So I'd prefer nice flats. But the other guy probably does want clipless, so he wouldn't want to pay for nice flats.
Old 04-25-22, 11:00 AM
Chickenwings

Hey Hokie....what do you wear for shoes? Do you use purpose made biking shoes or are you a sneaker guy? You make a LOT of miles - this inquiring mind wants to know.
Old 04-25-22, 12:18 PM
hokiefyd 

Hey Hokie....what do you wear for shoes? Do you use purpose made biking shoes or are you a sneaker guy? You make a LOT of miles - this inquiring mind wants to know.
I don't bike NEARLY as much as I'd like, mostly due to time constraints, but I like Keen Newport sandals on wide platform pedals.
Old 04-25-22, 12:29 PM
Chickenwings

Geez...I've got a pair VERY similar to that. I'll give em a try, thanks!

Oh, and I'm on flat pedals too..........
Old 04-25-22, 01:17 PM
hokiefyd 

I like the Keens because they have a closed toe box for protection, they have a relatively firm base for stability, and they're pretty durable and don't get torn up by traction pegs in MTB style pedals.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-25-22, 07:10 PM
Jonavin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I used to bike a lot but haven’t for decade+. Trying to get back into it for fitness and stress relief. I bought an FX 2 Disc and upgraded to SQLab 710 grip and 402 innerbarends, Selle Royal Respiro saddle and Race face pedals. Really like this setup today.

Last edited by Jonavin; 04-30-22 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Fix font
Likes For Jonavin:
Old 04-30-22, 04:35 PM
Jonavin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I went for a 20 miles ride today in mixed pavement, pack gravel, loose gravel and wooden boardwalks and bridges. This FX 2 seems to be perfect for these conditions, although I probably went too fast on loose gravel because the tires skid a bit.
Likes For Jonavin:
Old 05-01-22, 08:36 AM
Chickenwings

That's a good ride Jon!
Old 05-01-22, 09:48 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 432 Posts
Dang...without really meaning to, I've become a Trek FX fan as well but now apparently I need new pedals!
I bought a 2021 FX Sport 4 in March. Had been on order by the LBS for months. I'm actually glad I got the 2021 version, I don't think the geometry of the 2022's would work for me.

It came with the advertised Shimano hydraulic brakes (they are amazing), a Bontrager Nebula saddle (that I replaced with a Brooks B17), and these pedals:

Before I even completed the purchase, the salesperson said "Oh, and you'll need new pedals". I ended up getting these, based on a recommendation on another thread here: Imrider MTB Pedals

Mark

Last edited by msalvetti; 05-01-22 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 05-01-22, 12:22 PM
Chickenwings

Well all kidding aside I really didn't think there's that much to pedals! For me they're just the thing I step down on with my foot but I'm still VERY new at this. I am going to try a stiff soled cycling shoe to see if there's an advantage there but I'm not ready for clipless yet. Honestly the big wide flat pedals I have on my FX2 seem perfectly matched to my runners.....with that said though, I am starting to bike longer and harder and am now seeking 'advantages'....Pedals might be one of them!

Mark I looked at the imrider MTB pedals and skeptical thinking about function aside, the form is brilliant! I REALLY like the looks! Well done and thanks for showing them to us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.