Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Rally XC100 pedals vs. PowerTap

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 06-13-22, 10:27 PM
hayden52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts

I recently acquired a set of Rally XC100 power pedals and was curious how the power measurement compared with my PowerTap hub, so I did a ride with my wife's Garmin paired to the PowerTap and my Wahoo! Elmnt paired to the pedals and uploaded both rides to Strava to compare. I also made a spreadsheet and graphed the results. What I noticed is that the pedals seem to smooth the data more than the hub, and (surprisingly) the hub measured about 4% higher. Maybe because the pedals only measure my left leg and double it, and there may be an imbalance. Here're the data:

Here are the links to the Strava rides:

Strava PowerTap
Strava Rally XC100

Cheers,
Gabe Cardona
Likes For hayden52:
Old 06-14-22, 07:18 AM
OshkoshBiker

Bikes: DB Haanjo Comp, Trek 1.2, Murray MTB, Framed Minnesota 2.0, Top Fuel 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hayden52
I recently acquired a set of Rally XC100 power pedals and was curious how the power measurement compared with my PowerTap hub, so I did a ride with my wife's Garmin paired to the PowerTap and my Wahoo! Elmnt paired to the pedals and uploaded both rides to Strava to compare. I also made a spreadsheet and graphed the results. What I noticed is that the pedals seem to smooth the data more than the hub, and (surprisingly) the hub measured about 4% higher. Maybe because the pedals only measure my left leg and double it, and there may be an imbalance. Here're the data:

Here are the links to the Strava rides:

Strava PowerTap
Strava Rally XC100

Cheers,
Gabe Cardona
If you like to delve into the topic further, do a Bland-Altman Analysis. You already have the spread sheet and it is easy to do. Look at the scatter plot and see if there is a bias. You can also plot a histogram of each power meter one over the other and see how the shape of the distributions differ.