Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pump for traveling

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pump for traveling

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-22, 08:19 PM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Pump for traveling

I am looking for yet another pump - I don't know how many I have in the garage - but most should be in the trash. I have only been on a few small 4-5 day trips, and planning to increase those quite a bit for the next 5 years, and then hit the road on some bigger tours when I retire. Right now my main pump on the road with my LHT is an older zefal frame pump - it looks cool and works ok - I just hate not having the flexibility of a hose, and would like a guage to top off tires every morning. A dual nozzle would be preferable - but really only have presta on bike - so could get a cheaper dual pump for around home. I'm not really looking for top of the line - but would prefer to pay a little more for higher quality. Any suggestions? TIA
Old 03-16-22, 08:33 PM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
i either carry a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive or Pocket Drive depending on weight and distance. they're both over 10 years old and still work terrific

Likes For brooklyn_bike:
Old 03-16-22, 08:48 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Topeak Morph. Road if your tires are less than 1.5” and mountain if the tires are wider than that.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-16-22, 10:54 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
Lezyne Pocket Drive or just stay with your Zefal Frame pump...
Old 03-16-22, 11:47 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I really like my Bontrager mini floor pump. It has a clamp head and a comfy handle. I only have mid size tires.
My Axiom Enforcer HV is a really good pump too, with a screw on head. The threads wore out on my last tour, then had trouble finding one I liked. Ended up cutting the same type head off another broken pump. I spliced the hose in the middle, so a nice LONG hose now. LOL.
So I have 2 good floor pumps and 2 crappy ones that aren't floor type. They are horribly tiring and won't go much over 70 lbs.
They all need over a hundred strokes from empty, you know.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-16-22 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-16-22, 11:59 PM
jvt

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn_bike
i either carry a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive or Pocket Drive depending on weight and distance. they're both over 10 years old and still work terrific

I have a couple of Lezyne pumps as well. High volume for mountain and high pressure for road. Very satisfied with them and couldn’t see myself buying anything else. The hoses are compatible with both schrader and presta valves (see pic above). The published are well
built and reasonably light. Had them for many years and use them regularly.
Likes For jvt:
Old 03-17-22, 05:42 AM
kstephens

Looking at both the topeak mini floor and topeak road morph- they have similar gauges - with hit and miss reviews as the gauge is not extremely accurate, and a potential point of failure. Is it worth it to get one with an in-line gauge, or just get a cheap gauge to keep keep on hand.
Old 03-17-22, 06:49 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by kstephens
Looking at both the topeak mini floor and topeak road morph- they have similar gauges - with hit and miss reviews as the gauge is not extremely accurate, and a potential point of failure. Is it worth it to get one with an in-line gauge, or just get a cheap gauge to keep keep on hand.
The flakey gauges like on my road morph G were usually close enough for me to not sweat it the majority of the time. The gauge did seem to stick on a reading at times. Most of the time I have found that with mini pumps or pretty much any pumps that I'd carry I am close enough to the maximum that I can pump with the pump that I can judge where I am when at the proper pressure. So between that judgement and the gauge I get a decent read. Worst case a quick check with my thumb says if I am in the ballpark. I can generally look at the gauge and know that it is sticking and reading low or whatever based of how the pumping and the tire feels. This might not be true except I am topping off nearly every day on tour.

Generally it is hard enough to get tires to the proper pressure that I am unlikely to overinflate them without knowing it and if I underinflate them significantly it will be fairly obvious. Also I do sometimes vary the pressure a bit based on the road surfaces where I am. This is more by feel than by knowledge of what the specific pressure should be there. Ror example, I let some air out for the texas chipseal which was especially rough in parts of the state with the skinny tires I was running. I might run tires a bit harder where the surface is glassy smooth. I am likely to sometimes not use a guage when making these adjustments

All that said a separate gauge may be a good idea. It is more likely to be accurate and easy to replace if it proves not to be.
Old 03-17-22, 07:02 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Well said. I just purchased a Road Morph G, and the gauge on it won't win any awards for readability. I have yet to check its accuracy, but a ballpark figure is good enough for me too. I also have a separate, very accurate dial gauge that I had purchased to carry along on tour, but deemed it not worth bringing. It may be worth having it to check the accuracy of other pumps at home.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
The flakey gauges like on my road morph G were usually close enough for me to not sweat it the majority of the time. The gauge did seem to stick on a reading at times. Most of the time I have found that with mini pumps or pretty much any pumps that I'd carry I am close enough to the maximum that I can pump with the pump that I can judge where I am when at the proper pressure. So between that judgement and the gauge I get a decent read. Worst case a quick check with my thumb says if I am in the ballpark. I can generally look at the gauge and know that it is sticking and reading low or whatever based of how the pumping and the tire feels. This might not be true except I am topping off nearly every day on tour.

Generally it is hard enough to get tires to the proper pressure that I am unlikely to overinflate them without knowing it and if I underinflate them significantly it will be fairly obvious. Also I do sometimes vary the pressure a bit based on the road surfaces where I am. This is more by feel than by knowledge of what the specific pressure should be there. Ror example, I let some air out for the texas chipseal which was especially rough in parts of the state with the skinny tires I was running. I might run tires a bit harder where the surface is glassy smooth. I am likely to sometimes not use a guage when making these adjustments

All that said a separate gauge may be a good idea. It is more likely to be accurate and easy to replace if it proves not to be.
Old 03-17-22, 08:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Several years ago I wrote up a comparison between the Lezyne and the Road Morph G. There have been a few other brands since then that also added a hose, but I think the comparison I wrote up is pretty good. Note that the software used for this forum has changed a few times since then, so the graphics got a bit disorganized.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...l#post18521373

Wow, I had not realized I wrote that over six years ago. But other than a few other competitors out there that have been added to the possible list of others to buy, my opinions are still unchanged from when i wrote it.

ADDENDUM:
I have not checked my links in the six year old post, but I am too lazy to keep updating links in old posts, so if they do not work, I am not surprised.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-17-22 at 08:26 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-17-22, 08:14 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Lezyne Micro Floor Drive with the gage works well for me. One important caution. Keep your valve cores tight and don't screw off the pump head at an angle because you can inadvertently remove the valve core and thus all your hard earned air pressure. Once you get the technique, it is straightforward.
Old 03-17-22, 08:46 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I’ve carried a Topeak Road Morph with gauge on tour for many years. Works well.

I’ve got a Mini morph with gauge as it fits in my commuter bag. TBH I’d be fine carrying it on tour as well. Thanks to modern tires I hardly get flats so just the daily top up.
Old 03-17-22, 08:54 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
As others have said, the gauge is good enough. No one really needs to pump their tires to 82.337 psi. 80(ish) psi is good enough. (That goes for any other pressure you want to use). Personally, the Topeak has a better handle and a better chuck. I hate the fiddly screw-on chuck for the Lezyne and their handle is painful for higher pressures.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-17-22, 09:12 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No one really needs to pump their tires to 82.337 psi. 80(ish) psi is good enough. (That goes for any other pressure you want to use).
Yep and pressing the tire with an educated thumb can read that close IME. At home I pump exact pressure with a compressor and a tire inflator because it is really easy to do so and why not, but on the road I don't get too picky.
Old 03-17-22, 11:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
I just purchased a Road Morph G, and the gauge on it won't win any awards for readability.
The one -1 for me, especially as my eyes have aged.
Old 03-17-22, 11:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've had 5 Road Morph pumps on three bikes, IIRC, and none of them have failed at the gauge. The gauge is a bit difficult to read with old eyes (find reading glasses, bend down to read it near the ground, put glasses away or get up and pump some more), but it's likely more accurate than a finger squeeze.

Biggest failure mode I've seen on the Topeaks is mounting them on the top tube, then carrying bike on bike rack. Take the pump off, put it on the trunk, put the bike on the rack, drive off... Yeah, that's the pump's fault!
Old 03-17-22, 04:19 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Last summer I had the chance to use my 20 year old Zefal HP frame pump when I stopped to help a lady with a flat tire. It had been 2 years since I used it last. Unfortunately upon the first pump the head snapped off. Replaced it with the Topeak Road Morph. Completely different pump and completely awesome pump! The best frame mounted pump I have ever used. Easily will take the pressure to 100psi and more.
Old 04-08-22, 08:34 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I am a HUGE fan of having a foot peg. It makes pumping so much easier.
I want to be a fan of the Topeak Road Morph. But I've gone through several, both the small one and the higher volume one. They all rattled apart way too soon.
I now have Lezyne Micro Floor Drive, both the road version and higher volume version and find the solid.Multiple years with both and no problems. I wish the handle was as comfortable as the Topeak's handle. but I'll live.
Old 06-22-22, 02:16 PM
kstephens

Update - I ended up with the Lezyne HP micro floor drive with the guage, and love it. I couldn't find either the topeak or lezyne local to check out - So I just toldweeks - my kids to surprise me for my birthday. I have used it exclusively the last several weeks with no issues - even going from a flat (intentional) a couple of times. I do wish the handle was slightly bigger - but I am usually wearing gloves - so not a huge issue. I have also thought about if changing out a tube on the side of the road, you could wrap the flattened tube around the handle before pumping if it really were to become an issue.

I have it mounted to the bottle cages for errands and commuting, but will likely just throw it in a pannier wile on trips- So I can just have one consolidated tool bag/repair kit in a roll or stuff sack.