Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cadence sensors - cheap vs expensive?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 06-26-22, 11:48 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts

So I've decided to get a cadence sensor, because more numbers must be good

I'd normally just default to a Garmin Cadence Sensor 2, but I can buy a Magene sensor for half the price, which means I could get 2 to leave on different bikes.

Will I realistically notice any difference going for the cheaper one? I don't need anything super accurate and I'm not doing a huge distance annually (under 1000 miles easily).
Old 06-26-22, 01:53 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Not to muddy the water but I recently bought a Wahoo cadence sensor that can be attached to ones shoe. I have 3 new bikes and with the Wahoo I can move it from my road shoes to my flats and nothing to add to the bike. The Wahoo is motion activated and after a period of no movement the sensor shuts itself off.
Old 06-27-22, 08:26 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Don't remember the brand, but after yet another cadence sensor gave up the ghost I went to Amazon and bought a cheap one. It worked (and continues to work) just as well as the Garmin and Wahoo sensors did (before they crapped out).
Old 06-27-22, 09:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Sometimes cheap stuff last a long time and sometimes it doesn't. Probably depends on if you get the one unit that everything was more perfect when put together. Quality control and manufacturing tolerances are not as good for cheap stuff so there is a chance you'd get something that may not be well put together.

I'd try it and see how it does if the price is right and my pocket book can afford to become trash. Though if your devices are Garmin, you need to make certain it puts out a ant+.

My Garmin GSC 10 speed/cadence sensor on my current bike has been working for over 7 years.
Old 06-27-22, 10:26 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos

I'd normally just default to a Garmin Cadence Sensor 2, but I can buy a Magene sensor for half the price, which means I could get 2 to leave on different bikes.

Will I realistically notice any difference going for the cheaper one? I don't need anything super accurate and I'm not doing a huge distance annually (under 1000 miles easily).
​​​​​​Get the cheap one.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-27-22, 10:37 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos

I think the technology is mature enough that buying a sensor from a company with some sort of reasonable track record should be fine.

Not that you will have any problems, it will tend to be easier to get support from a "first tier" manufacturer.
Old 06-27-22, 11:39 AM
Canker

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I bought 3 of the cheapest cadence/speed combo senors you could get of amazon for $12 each, Tusy branding but a bunch of other people sell the same thing. I used two as speed sensors and one as a cadence senor. The only problem I have had with them is the o-rings they come with are crap, all three of them have failed. I got lucky and noticed the two speed sensors bust and was able to save them but lost the one I setup as a cadence sensor. $12 and they work so I don't care about support or using a better o-ring or zip-tie of which I have a bunch laying around

Last edited by Canker; 06-27-22 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-27-22, 07:30 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
One of the O2 sensors on my 2006 chevy van failed and caused an error code around 250k miles. Replaced it with a Bosch figuring that was a quality brand. The Bosch sensor failed last week at the 277k mark while the other 3 originals were still working. So much for quality. I ordered 4 OEM Delphi/ACDelco sensors and installed them this morning. One of them wouldn't work out of the box. Put the old one back in and ordered a replacement. You don't really know what you're getting these days.
Old 06-28-22, 09:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
One of the O2 sensors on my 2006 chevy van failed and caused an error code around 250k miles. Replaced it with a Bosch figuring that was a quality brand. The Bosch sensor failed last week at the 277k mark while the other 3 originals were still working. So much for quality. I ordered 4 OEM Delphi/ACDelco sensors and installed them this morning. One of them wouldn't work out of the box. Put the old one back in and ordered a replacement. You don't really know what you're getting these days.
Those generic cadence/speed sensors? They cost $30 for two, compared to nearly $40 each for name brand units that are either cadence or speed. At that price I can put cadence on multiple bikes and if one fails, buy another pack.
Old 06-28-22, 01:31 PM
Canker

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
That is why I bought 3 of the sensors. I didn't need a cadence sensor on my mtn bike but for $12 I bought it as a back up in case one of the speeds died but then the cadence sensor is the one I lost. The sensors even came with extra batteries.
Old 07-01-22, 10:08 PM
liwhitehat

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I bought a Cycplus speed cadence sensor about two years ago; still going strong. Besides being switchable to either speed or cadence, it also supports BOTH Bluetooth and ANT+. It is currently available on Amazon for $18.99. I see no point in spending more.
Likes For liwhitehat:
Old 07-03-22, 05:40 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Buy nice or buy twice. That's been motto for a while now and it's served me well. YMMV of course.