Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

integrated seat post clamp broke

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 03:35 AM
dugay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

i bought a bike then saw this when i took out seatpost wot can i do to fix this plz

oops
plz
Old 01-07-21, 03:38 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Oops indeed...

Is it steel or some other metal?

One of the options is to grind, a bit brutal, might be to grind away the whole clamping part to recreate a traditional tube + separate clamp situation.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 01-07-21, 03:45 AM
dugay

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
its alloy i like that idea don't see any other choice really
Old 01-07-21, 03:51 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
One of the options is to grind, a bit brutal, might be to grind away the whole clamping part to recreate a traditional tube + separate clamp situation.
I agree. Grind off the existing clamp, and use a clamp over it.
Old 01-07-21, 03:51 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
If there's enough tube, i'd just cut it just below the clamp and attach a separate clamp.
Old 01-07-21, 08:32 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Agree with Geepig. I also have a GT with integrated clamp. Older chro-mo frame. Hoping that never happens. Seems like an integrated clamp with "ears" are a bad idea-would much rather have a seperate clamp around the post. Hope all works out for ya!
Old 01-07-21, 09:01 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,498 Posts
quill type/

if not enough metal for a clamp after trimming you can do a quill type post.American Classic,Suntour,Campy made them at 1 time.

https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/v...ic.php?t=98366

Last edited by '02 nrs; 01-09-21 at 06:44 PM.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 01-07-21, 10:42 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dugay
i bought a bike then saw this when i took out seatpost wot can i do to fix this plz

oops
plz
I agree with the others - remove the ears and use a separate seat post clamp. I wouldn't cut off the top of the tube, regardless of your available seat post length. You may end up having to extend the slot to give the seat tube enough "flex" to clamp the seat post, but then you'd be getting a bit close to the welding at the top tube junction. In your situation, I would also use a small hacksaw or Dremel cut-off wheel to remove the bulk of the ears before carefully using the Dremel or a hand file to finish the job. Alloy is relatively soft - a full-size grinder will go through it like butter if you're not careful. You want to preserve as much of the original tube material as possible.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 01-07-21, 11:06 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
if not enough metal for a clamp after trimming you can do a quill type post.

Landlords Cycling » Typeface Department
I would skip the grinding and just try that first. That is a great idea. I never knew such a thing existed. Where do you put the Di2 battery?

Edit: Maybe it doesn't? Dead link.
Old 01-08-21, 06:10 AM
dugay

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Thanks guys hack saw then hand filed it and fit was perfect for a 31.8 clamp

Last edited by dugay; 01-08-21 at 04:42 PM.
Likes For dugay:
Old 01-09-21, 04:57 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by dugay
Thanks guys hack saw then hand filed it and fit was perfect for a 31.8 clamp

Nice job, should work well

Old 01-09-21, 01:32 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
If there's enough tube, i'd just cut it just below the clamp and attach a separate clamp.
This might work. The only problem I foresee is that the slot in the rear of the seat tube might be too short to include an adequate stress breaker (the hole at the bottom of the slot).

Just saw the picture. I would enlarge the base of the slot to a diameter at least twice as wide as the slot. It won't affect the strength of the tube, or the retentiveness of the clamp. If you don't do this, be sure to check regularly for cracks branching off from the bottom of the slot. If you catch it in time, you can then enlarge the bottom of the slot to include the crack. See the attached before and after images of one of my bikes' seat tube.
The good news is that if the fracture eventually circumnavigates the seat tube, you won't have a catastrophic event. The seat will just pull out if you lift the bike by the saddle. It'll probably oscillate a bit when you ride as well.

Also attached is an image of my "winter" bike. There's a pretty obvious separation of the top part of the seat tube. It's held in place by home-made stays, and has been like this for over half of the bike's 13,000 mile life. I wish I had modified the stress-breaker in a timely fashion.

One more comment: My bikes are folders, and the seatpost clamps are cycled at least four times a day. So they're going to rack up cyclic fatigue a lot faster than you will on a seat that's rarely adjusted. Still a good idea to keep an eye on it!

The stress-breaker at the bottom of the slot has a radius that's too small. This will eventually separate the top of the seat tube from the lower part.

Here's the result of enlarging the stress-breaker with a Dremel tool. It's paints to match the frame and has survived over 1,000 miles with no further cracking.

The seat tube has fractured 360 degrees, starting with cracks at the (too small) stress-breaker. There is no danger from this, but it looks like crap!

Last edited by sweeks; 01-09-21 at 01:56 PM.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 01-09-21, 03:20 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by sweeks
This might work. The only problem I foresee is that the slot in the rear of the seat tube might be too short to include an adequate stress breaker (the hole at the bottom of the slot).

Just saw the picture. I would enlarge the base of the slot to a diameter at least twice as wide as the slot. It won't affect the strength of the tube, or the retentiveness of the clamp. If you don't do this, be sure to check regularly for cracks branching off from the bottom of the slot. If you catch it in time, you can then enlarge the bottom of the slot to include the crack. See the attached before and after images of one of my bikes' seat tube.
The good news is that if the fracture eventually circumnavigates the seat tube, you won't have a catastrophic event. The seat will just pull out if you lift the bike by the saddle. It'll probably oscillate a bit when you ride as well.

Also attached is an image of my "winter" bike. There's a pretty obvious separation of the top part of the seat tube. It's held in place by home-made stays, and has been like this for over half of the bike's 13,000 mile life. I wish I had modified the stress-breaker in a timely fashion.

One more comment: My bikes are folders, and the seatpost clamps are cycled at least four times a day. So they're going to rack up cyclic fatigue a lot faster than you will on a seat that's rarely adjusted. Still a good idea to keep an eye on it!

The stress-breaker at the bottom of the slot has a radius that's too small. This will eventually separate the top of the seat tube from the lower part.

Here's the result of enlarging the stress-breaker with a Dremel tool. It's paints to match the frame and has survived over 1,000 miles with no further cracking.

The seat tube has fractured 360 degrees, starting with cracks at the (too small) stress-breaker. There is no danger from this, but it looks like crap!
The slot should be enlarged with a drill and a file if he cuts the tube.

BTW, my Dahon had the same issue as yours. I also enlarged the hole and made a drill stop on one of the cracks that was further away. Had no more issues so far.
Old 01-09-21, 07:34 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
The slot should be enlarged with a drill and a file if he cuts the tube.

BTW, my Dahon had the same issue as yours. I also enlarged the hole and made a drill stop on one of the cracks that was further away. Had no more issues so far.
A drill would work well. A Dremel tool also works, and allows a measure of "chamfering" of the edges.
I have crack-stop holes in several places on another Dahon (Helios XL). Also, see the attached!

Crack-stop holes on the handlepost of my Dahon Mu XL. No progression for several years.
Old 01-11-21, 02:30 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by sweeks
A drill would work well. A Dremel tool also works, and allows a measure of "chamfering" of the edges.
I have crack-stop holes in several places on another Dahon (Helios XL). Also, see the attached!

Crack-stop holes on the handlepost of my Dahon Mu XL. No progression for several years.
I was sure Dahon have serious issues with their warranty (mine cracked with 2500km ridden, and they didn't honor their "lifetime warranty"). Now I also know they have serious issues in how they make frames and components.

I bought my Dahon because I needed a folding bike with wide gearing range at a non-prohibitive price (mine has a DualDrive), but now I only keep it because I barely use it. If I needed an everyday folding bike as I did when I bought it, I wouldn't buy one again.

Not sure what I would use though... I tried a Brompton S6L long time ago and I could put up with the gearing and overall flex, but stability when going +50kph was crap.
Old 01-15-21, 11:43 PM
makshima

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but don't Dahon's have lifetime warranty on their frames?
Old 01-16-21, 08:54 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by makshima
Pardon my ignorance, but don't Dahon's have lifetime warranty on their frames?
A simple search on the googles brought this up:
DAHON Limited Warranty (excluding China)
We warrant our bicycle frames, handle posts and rigid forks to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 5 years. In addition we warrant all non-wear components for a period of 2 years. Certain individual component warranties and local law may supersede this warranty policy.

This warranty is limited to the repair or replacement of a defective frame, handlepost, fork or component, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This warranty applies to the original retail purchaser of the bicycle and is non-transferable. This warranty only covers DAHON bicycles sold through authorized DAHON resellers, and maintained per the Scheduled Maintenance explained above. Any replacement item is covered by the original warranty term, being from the purchase date of the complete bicycle.

Your warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, abuse, stunt riding, commercial use, improper assembly or maintenance, installation of parts or accessories not originally intended or compatible, installation of power systems such as engines or electric motors, damage due to accident, weather or neglect, or modification of the bicycle.

A defect in material or workmanship is defined as; “A flaw, failure or cosmetic blemish caused by the manufacturing process or material that was not consistent with the original design”. This warranty implies no strength or fatigue value beyond regional government standards. This warranty does not mean “indestructible” as all materials can fail if pushed beyond design and manufacturing limits.

Wear items are defined as; tires, tubes, brake pads, brake and gear cables and housing, chains, gears, grips, and saddles. All of these items are subject to varying wear life depending on use, load, weather, road conditions etc. Premature wear or “defect” will be taken into account in any claim involving a wear item.

Exclusions
All damage resulting from Commercial use, accident, misuse, abuse, neglect, improper maintenance, or from anything other than normal and ordinary use of the bicycle.

All damage resulting from off-road or stunt riding, multiple passengers, or cargo hauling.

Any paint damage, rust, or modifications made to the bicycle.

DAHON bicycles sold in mainland China fall under a separate policy which is non-transferable outside of mainland China.