Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

lower gears

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

lower gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22, 02:26 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
lower gears

I’m having fun dialing in my Bafanged ClemSmithJr and just replaced the Microshift 11-42 cassette w a 11-46. Microshift says the Advent derailleur can go to 46 teeth but it did not at all so I added a derailleur hanger extension and the 46 clears just fine. I’m in a very hilly area and while the bbshd has plenty of power it was simply too fast using the power level needed to get up some trails with the 42 cog and 42 chainring. I can’t go to a smaller chainring than the Luna Eclipse 42 without losing the good chainline needed for the innermost cog. I’m using a nine speed cassette figuring the lowest cost chain and cassette will be a better when replacement time comes around. I sure don’t need the fine gradations that comes with pricier 10-12 gear drivetrains. I could do just fine with five gears. My riding is 90% dirt and trails.
For anyone looking for a good all round tire I’ve got Schwalbe 27.5 x 2.35” Johnny Watts and just came from a quick spin on the pavement. These are nice riding tires. Some of my riding goes over 3-4” sharp drainage rocks and the nice light off road tires just don’t have tough enough sidewalls.
Old 01-28-22, 02:58 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
I'm using Luna's 30 tooth on the front with 11-32, 8-speed rear and the gearing and chainline seem fine on my BBS02 hardtail. Easily shifts through all the gears, and has been excellent for six years with one cassette replacement.
Old 01-28-22, 06:01 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I'm using Luna's 30 tooth on the front with 11-32, 8-speed rear and the gearing and chainline seem fine on my BBS02 hardtail. Easily shifts through all the gears, and has been excellent for six years with one cassette replacement.
Ishould give it a try. I’m in the two lowest gears most of the time using a fair amount of energy on steep trails.. The bike has very long chainstays so the chain angle isn’t severe. I don’t need hgh gears and fromwhat little flat road riding I’ve done I’m content with normal riding speeds.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 01-29-22, 01:59 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
My first "cassette" was three individual gears, 11-17-28, spaced 8-speed at the end of the unit, in order to improve the chainline. The 17 was "straight", so either change was only slightly off. Worked fine, but I changed to a regular cassette for the replacement.