Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Passing

Old 03-27-22, 06:01 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 292 Posts
Passing

If you come up on a slower cyclist, do you alert them before you pass? Just curious.

Out on the main highway, the shoulder is a designated bike lane but I live in a small town and there are only a few of us who ride seriously. I'm not involved in any groups so it's unusual to come across another rider at the same time. But yesterday I was out on one of my longer rides and about 6-7 miles outside of town I came up behind a gentleman going a little slower than I was. Since we don't often run into other riders, a lot of times we get kind of comfortable with taking whatever space we want. This guy was kind of right in the middle of the shoulder. Not really a big deal but passing him on his right put me right at the edge of the travel lane of a highway with 70mph traffic. I generally try to announce myself and say something like "passing" just so the person knows I'm back there.

Do any of you do similar? What do you say?
Old 03-27-22, 06:51 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Bike behind you.
Old 03-27-22, 06:52 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
It depends on the rider I'm coming up behind. I always yell out if they're kids because children are unpredictable. But If I can safely swing out and around another bicyclest by riding out into the other lane without issue, I do. But usually I yell "On your Left!" and wait for them to acknowledge me, usually they just move over to their right without saying anything. Then I'll give them a low five as I go by. Unfortunately, sometimes yelling out startles riders and they'll swerve unexpectedly. One time I came up behind someone and was clear over in the far lane from them when they decided to do a 'U' turn and turned right in front of me without checking over their shoulder for traffic; vehicular or biker. Still don't know how I missed her.
Old 03-27-22, 06:56 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
What country are you in? In the US passing on a riders right would put on next to the curb and I would never pass a rider on the right. I always call out passing on your left, this works for me. I have never had a rider move to the left, ever.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 03-27-22, 06:58 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Bell works best
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 03-27-22, 07:33 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
depends. plenty of room, no traffic, big speed differential, rider holding a clean line, no.

narrow path, lesser speed differential, traffic, inexperienced rider, any wobbling, yes. "on your left!"
Likes For mschwett:
Old 03-27-22, 07:37 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
On your left
Old 03-27-22, 07:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Waive
Old 03-27-22, 07:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
If I can safelygive a wide berth when passing I don't say anything. I get into an almost nonverbal state of mind when riding. If I'm talking while riding, I find I don't remember that part of the ride. I remember the conversation.

If I need them to make a bit of room - as happened today when two riders were taking up 3/4 of the traffic lane (one rider riding almost on the fog line - in a 6 foot wide bike lane - and the other riding left of the center of the traffic lane) I'll say "On your left" to get them to move closer. Hell, if you don't like the people you're riding with well enough to ride within a foot or two of them, maybe don't ride with them!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-27-22, 08:06 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I say "Passing on your left!" so it's more of a complete, informative sentence than most things that get barked at pedestrians.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 03-27-22, 08:13 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
But If I can safely swing out and around another bicyclest by riding out into the other lane without issue, I do...
My too. Sometimes it seems pretentious to tell people "I'm faster than you so I'm coming by." But one time on a MUP I rode by two riders (lots of room; no conflict) and the people I passed scolded me for not announcing that I was coming by.
Old 03-27-22, 08:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I like to just say "Hello" when passing people. Not demanding anything from them, but it should let them know that someone is coming up from behind.

As far as passing on a road, I would simply follow a person until I knew I could safely pass. If I can't safely pass, then I won't.

The only super high speed road that I could imagine trying to share a shoulder would be on a freeway... which would be exceptionally rare.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-27-22, 08:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8190 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Don't pass on the right. If you're going to say "on your left" precede it with "passing". I like to announce my presence far enough back to see what they are going to do.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-27-22, 11:19 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
I almost always say “hi” or similar when passing.. I give 3 ft+ and encroach on the cagers space when passing cyclists, don’t really care if they get mad. If someone passes without saying hi they automatically have a target on their back and I’ll do what I can to pass them back at speed

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 03-27-22 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-27-22, 11:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I like to just say "Hello" when passing people. Not demanding anything from them, but it should let them know that someone is coming up from behind.

As far as passing on a road, I would simply follow a person until I knew I could safely pass. If I can't safely pass, then I won't.

The only super high speed road that I could imagine trying to share a shoulder would be on a freeway... which would be exceptionally rare.
I have found that saying "hi" or "good afternoon" results in less instances of unpredictable reactions from amateur cyclists, who sometimes misinterpret "on your left" as a command to veer to their left.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-27-22, 11:25 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
It depends on the rider I'm coming up behind. I always yell out if they're kids because children are unpredictable. But If I can safely swing out and around another bicyclest by riding out into the other lane without issue, I do. But usually I yell "On your Left!" and wait for them to acknowledge me, usually they just move over to their right without saying anything. Then I'll give them a low five as I go by. Unfortunately, sometimes yelling out startles riders and they'll swerve unexpectedly. One time I came up behind someone and was clear over in the far lane from them when they decided to do a 'U' turn and turned right in front of me without checking over their shoulder for traffic; vehicular or biker. Still don't know how I missed her.
???

If you rarely have to pass anybody, what would the problem be to announce your presence? If yelling startles people, maybe, don’t yell? Why are you even asking this question?

For people doing u-turns in front of you (on a highway?) without looking, there’s not much you can do except announce yourself.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-28-22 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-28-22, 03:23 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
My Campy Bora freehub is so loud it works like a bell but an additional “ on your left “ makes sure.
Likes For waters60:
Old 03-28-22, 03:42 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
No, but I do say a "hello" while passing.

​​​​​​
Likes For Branko D:
Old 03-28-22, 08:09 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
If you come up on a slower cyclist, do you alert them before you pass? Just curious.
Sure, why wouldn't I?

I generally try to announce myself and say something like "passing" just so the person knows I'm back there.

Do any of you do similar? What do you say?
Pedestrians, I'll usually say "Good Morning!" or similar, see which way they go and respond accordingly. Cyclists I'll say "Passing" or "Passing on your left" and go from there. (I'm in the US, sounds like you're in a left-side drive country so adjust accordingly)
Old 03-28-22, 08:12 AM
gpburdell

Originally Posted by big john
Don't pass on the right.
Unless in a left-side drive country... which the context seems to be since OP mentioned passing on the right put them at the edge of the travel lane.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-28-22, 08:39 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8190 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
Unless in a left-side drive country... which the context seems to be since OP mentioned passing on the right put them at the edge of the travel lane.
I thought about that but the username seems to reference Las Vegas and all the speed references are in MPH.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-28-22, 09:27 AM
gpburdell

Originally Posted by big john
I thought about that but the username seems to reference Las Vegas and all the speed references are in MPH.
Yep, it is a bit confusing and would be helpful for VegasJen to add an approx location to their profile.
Old 03-28-22, 09:30 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Honestly, the right answer is you have to use your best judgment. There is no perfect answer.

You don't want to scare or shock the rider you are passing, but it depends on how close the pass is whether you need to say something or ring the bell.

I usually just shout "good morning! Rider coming through!"
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-28-22, 10:45 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
unless in a left-side drive country... Which the context seems to be since op mentioned passing on the right put them at the edge of the travel lane.
us.

Originally Posted by vegasjen
why not? The people in washington dc haven't done a g****n thing to help me the last couple years. R or d, i don't give a damn, they're all worthless.
Old 03-28-22, 11:02 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
"Hi there! I'm passing on your left." Then I give a friendly wave as I go by. Give the passee a bike length at least as you pull in front. Carry on about your ride.
Likes For caloso:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.