Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke/truing tool cart

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spoke/truing tool cart

Old 05-29-22, 06:12 AM
  #1  
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission
Thread Starter
 
JoeTBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 781

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Spoke/truing tool cart

Looking to see if anyone has a design for a roll around cart dedicated to truing wheels with sorted spoke storage for our volunteer shop.

Trying to get some ideas before we build one, any one want to share ideas/photos?

Thanks

we did find this but looking for more ideas possibly using PVC pipe
as right now most of our spokes are not in boxes
__________________
JoeTBM (The Bike Man) - I'm a black & white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
www.TheBikeMenOfFlaglerCounty.com





Last edited by JoeTBM; 05-29-22 at 06:16 AM.
JoeTBM is offline  
Old 05-29-22, 06:58 AM
  #2  
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless
 
Bike Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Posts: 4,254

Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 63 Posts
I've seen some local shops just create a frame, then stack plastic (water-pipe) tubes. Closed at the rear, open from the front. Horizontally stacked on top of each other.

You can't just place a square package of new spokes, but you can store them out of the box - sorting them by length.
Bike Gremlin is offline  
Old 05-29-22, 09:50 AM
  #3  
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Posts: 13,095

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1498 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 559 Posts
Why do you need a roll around cart?
It's a bicycle wheel you're working on.
Bill Kapaun is offline  
Old 05-29-22, 01:59 PM
  #4  
BCRider
Senior Member
 
BCRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,541

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
Instead of a roll around cart what about a caddy for spoke storage and spoke wrench tools. And a truing stand that fits into the bench vise. That way the caddy and truing stand can be used at any bench with a vise. This way you don't have something taking up even more floor space and in the way when the floor is being swept. How well this would work would depend on how the work flow and bench arrangement is in your area.
BCRider is offline  
Old 05-29-22, 04:40 PM
  #5  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,952

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 584 Posts
Joe,
My service shop roll around for frequently used tools is a MAC that was $1200 but it is heavy duty for automotive work. I think you can get a US General from harbor freight with a couple of drawers for around $150. The top can hold your stand and the drawers should hold enough spokes for your shop. Wrenches and spoke tools can sit in a dedicated section of the top, or one of the drawers. For spoke sizes think about what you will use the most. For example 26" MTB wheels you only need 260mm and 262mm for 27",wheels you only need 12-1/8" and build to 4X. 700c is where you will need a selection due to rim height and hub shell differences. Most of the spokes can be stored in trays that are marked for size like the ones in your silverware drawer in the kitchen. Be sure to have more than a few Park Blue spoke rulers in the drawers as well.
If you got to a bit of trouble you can add some pegboard to the back of the roll cart that will hold all the tools you will need to build/repair wheels. I think if I were to be starting out again in a co-op situation, I would go down this path outlines of tools on the peg board and check to be sure the board is correct at the end of the shift. Gimme a call if you want to discuss the idea. 812-336-Dave
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 12:22 AM
  #6  
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission
Thread Starter
 
JoeTBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 781

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
Why do you need a roll around cart?
It's a bicycle wheel you're working on.
If you saw our shop you would understand. We are a volunteer shop and the place is about 750 sq ft donated to us.

The front has a rollup door and being in FL we work outside in the daylight but everything goes back in when we are done. including the 80-100 bikes....yes space is a premium. Here are a few shots to give you an idea





__________________
JoeTBM (The Bike Man) - I'm a black & white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
www.TheBikeMenOfFlaglerCounty.com




JoeTBM is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 12:27 AM
  #7  
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission
Thread Starter
 
JoeTBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 781

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin View Post
I've seen some local shops just create a frame, then stack plastic (water-pipe) tubes. Closed at the rear, open from the front. Horizontally stacked on top of each other.

You can't just place a square package of new spokes, but you can store them out of the box - sorting them by length.
Thanks for the suggestion, thinking a angled pitch would work better for us vs flat to prevent spokes from just sliding out.
__________________
JoeTBM (The Bike Man) - I'm a black & white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
www.TheBikeMenOfFlaglerCounty.com




JoeTBM is offline  
Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 05-31-22, 12:35 AM
  #8  
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission
Thread Starter
 
JoeTBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 781

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
Instead of a roll around cart what about a caddy for spoke storage and spoke wrench tools. And a truing stand that fits into the bench vise. That way the caddy and truing stand can be used at any bench with a vise. This way you don't have something taking up even more floor space and in the way when the floor is being swept. How well this would work would depend on how the work flow and bench arrangement is in your area.
We are presently using a roll around cart, top has spoke storage and a tray with spoke ruler, spoke wrenches, etc. along with tape to mark replacement spokes on the wheel being repaired.. bottom shelves have boxes of pedals. It is getting too heavy with all the spokes and need to incorporate the truing stand which presently gets clamped down to a folding table.. Work bench does have a fairly large vice but location would not work well for a truing stand mounted in it.
__________________
JoeTBM (The Bike Man) - I'm a black & white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
www.TheBikeMenOfFlaglerCounty.com




JoeTBM is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 12:48 AM
  #9  
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission
Thread Starter
 
JoeTBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 781

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Joe,
My service shop roll around for frequently used tools is a MAC that was $1200 but it is heavy duty for automotive work. I think you can get a US General from harbor freight with a couple of drawers for around $150. The top can hold your stand and the drawers should hold enough spokes for your shop. Wrenches and spoke tools can sit in a dedicated section of the top, or one of the drawers. For spoke sizes think about what you will use the most. For example 26" MTB wheels you only need 260mm and 262mm for 27",wheels you only need 12-1/8" and build to 4X. 700c is where you will need a selection due to rim height and hub shell differences. Most of the spokes can be stored in trays that are marked for size like the ones in your silverware drawer in the kitchen. Be sure to have more than a few Park Blue spoke rulers in the drawers as well.
If you got to a bit of trouble you can add some pegboard to the back of the roll cart that will hold all the tools you will need to build/repair wheels. I think if I were to be starting out again in a co-op situation, I would go down this path outlines of tools on the peg board and check to be sure the board is correct at the end of the shift. Gimme a call if you want to discuss the idea. 812-336-Dave
Thanks Dave, Yes we have one of those large tool cabinets also but way to heavy to roll around, so it sits in one spot. We also have one of the Harbor freight carts but it is one that has a lid on a hinge vs a work surface so not the best for the mounting of a truing stand. As we work on all size and type of bikes, our spoke inventory has grown but yes 260-262mm is the most common on the 26" rims. I am going to toy around with a few possibilities and build a dedicated cart to repair wheels. I'll post a picture when I'm done.
__________________
JoeTBM (The Bike Man) - I'm a black & white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
www.TheBikeMenOfFlaglerCounty.com




JoeTBM is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 01:09 AM
  #10  
Tawraste666
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I think building a custom cart is the only way forward.
If this helps - I wanted all my tools within reach of my hands without having to look and I thought the commercially available bases for the truing stands where rubbish.
So I crafted a small base out of wood which my truing stand is now bolted to. It has diagonal recesses for my nipple driver, spoke guage and spoke pliers, and different size nipples inserted using short lengths of spoke for the different size wrenches. The tension meter hangs on a bolt on the side of the stand itself.
I can carry the stand about and set it down where ever its needed.
Tawraste666 is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 10:44 AM
  #11  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,952

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 584 Posts
Joe,
Since you already have a cart from HF you only need to make a small modification to it to have it functional. Here a re a couple of pics of my side shelf that is on my bigger roll around cabinet. I used a couple of shelf supports for closets that are fairly heavy duty and added a double layer of plywood for the shelf. Mine has a 4-1/2" vise mounted so I can use for Free wheel removal and holding stuff steady. The side shelf should hold your truing stand nicely and won't interfere with the operation of the top storage space. You probably have more than enough weight in the cabinet to keep it stable. The foot print of the shelf should not be too big of a problem for your overall shop space. HTH, MH Gimme a call if you need help on this one 812-336-3283

Home made side shelf on one of my cabinets. Note the vise mounted and the heavy duty shelf brackets. This is on a MAC three drawer cabinet with a slide open top for additional storage.
Mad Honk is offline  
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 06-01-22, 03:04 AM
  #12  
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission
Thread Starter
 
JoeTBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 781

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Joe,
Since you already have a cart from HF you only need to make a small modification to it to have it functional. Here a re a couple of pics of my side shelf that is on my bigger roll around cabinet. I used a couple of shelf supports for closets that are fairly heavy duty and added a double layer of plywood for the shelf. Mine has a 4-1/2" vise mounted so I can use for Free wheel removal and holding stuff steady. The side shelf should hold your truing stand nicely and won't interfere with the operation of the top storage space. You probably have more than enough weight in the cabinet to keep it stable. The foot print of the shelf should not be too big of a problem for your overall shop space. HTH, MH Gimme a call if you need help on this one 812-336-3283

Home made side shelf on one of my cabinets. Note the vise mounted and the heavy duty shelf brackets. This is on a MAC three drawer cabinet with a slide open top for additional storage.
Thanks Dave, you have given me a few ideas and I am going to toy around with some of it on paper before we build it.
__________________
JoeTBM (The Bike Man) - I'm a black & white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head
www.TheBikeMenOfFlaglerCounty.com




JoeTBM is offline  
Old 06-01-22, 12:04 PM
  #13  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,952

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 584 Posts
Joe,
If the side shelf appeals to you, and you still have concerns about space you can make it detachable by using four longer bolts that go through the cart and anchor the shelf . Then by using four wing nuts to secure the shelf when in use, you can detach it from the cart for more compact storage. HTH, MH
Mad Honk is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.