Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Snake

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Snake

Old 05-29-22, 12:02 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 406 Posts
Snake

We have a very large King Snake that has been wintering in our basement, pretty much as long as we have lived here. I like that type as they are a "good" snake. My neighbor complains about seeing copperheads all the time. I think he is actually seeing DeKay's Brown Snake, but certainly not sure. I figure that a combination of our snake and the pup are keeping those others at bay.

I went into the basement earlier this week to get the pole saw out for some limbs. There was a skin by the door that was overall just about 5' long. We pulled it out and our pup had a great time "killing" the big snake. I don't know that he has ever seen a live one but his instinct is good for when we find the sheds. I was mowing the lawn and doing weed eater work when lo and behold, his majesty comes crawling out of the basement. It is solidly over 4' long, beautiful scales and color. He is white on bottom and sort of a checkerboard pattern along his flanks. Really good looking guy and glad to have him around. I wish I could have gotten a picture of him.

Y'all have any slithering residents?
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 05-29-22, 12:09 PM
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 481 Posts

Old 05-29-22, 08:15 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 187 Posts
It might be interesting to have such a snake (and I imagine that whatever it's eating down there, you're probably glad it's taking care of...). I hope you can manage to get a picture some time!

Where I live, I almost never see snakes. Okay, I never see snakes. I cannot remember the last time I saw one "in the wild."
Likes For Kat12:
Old 05-29-22, 09:08 PM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 3,230 Times in 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
We have a very large King Snake that has been wintering in our basement, pretty much as long as we have lived here. I like that type, as they are a "good" snake.
"Red, black, yellow: he's a friendly fellow!"
Old 05-30-22, 12:45 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked 3,308 Times in 2,149 Posts
Killed a small rattler a few hours ago. Ya know the 6 foot shovel method. No pics just take my word for it. They are moving right now a lot more than usual.
Old 05-30-22, 09:50 AM
Kat12

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Killed a small rattler a few hours ago. Ya know the 6 foot shovel method. No pics just take my word for it. They are moving right now a lot more than usual.
There are times when "I never see snakes" is something to be grateful for, lol. (Not that I live in rattler country so I wouldn't have to worry about it anyway.)
Old 05-30-22, 11:13 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 406 Posts

My grandfather was a master with a hoe against a snake, he would chop suey that bad boy in short order.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 05-30-22, 12:22 PM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 263 Posts
We have a very large King Snake that has been wintering in our basement, pretty much as long as we have lived here. I like that type as they are a "good" snake. My neighbor complains about seeing copperheads all the time. I think he is actually seeing DeKay's Brown Snake, but certainly not sure. I figure that a combination of our snake and the pup are keeping those others at bay.

I went into the basement earlier this week to get the pole saw out for some limbs. There was a skin by the door that was overall just about 5' long. We pulled it out and our pup had a great time "killing" the big snake. I don't know that he has ever seen a live one but his instinct is good for when we find the sheds. I was mowing the lawn and doing weed eater work when lo and behold, his majesty comes crawling out of the basement. It is solidly over 4' long, beautiful scales and color. He is white on bottom and sort of a checkerboard pattern along his flanks. Really good looking guy and glad to have him around. I wish I could have gotten a picture of him.

Y'all have any slithering residents?
Not so much here, other than the occasional garter snake that comes out of the brush to sun on the MUP. Too much development. I've never intentionally killed a wild snake, but have been around others that do. The biggest rattler I have ever seen was one of several killed by a labor crew clearing a fence row in Tampa FL. Head big as a man's hand.
When I was a teenager I bought a tiny corn snake from a pet shop, which are native to your region and similar to your king snake. I kept it in a proper enclosure alive and healthy for about 15 years until it died which is much longer than they live in the wild. It was a good four feet long.
Old 05-30-22, 03:29 PM
indyfabz
Banned.

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15909 Post(s)
Liked 10,152 Times in 4,950 Posts
Kill it and grill it!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-30-22, 06:41 PM
Kat12

My grandfather was a master with a hoe against a snake, he would chop suey that bad boy in short order.
Maybe he's related to my cousin-in-law, who's from Korea and who, I'm told, made short work of a cottonmouth or two that my cousin found in their basement? (Oddly enough, after that "cottonmouths in the basement" story, I've never wanted to go visit them...)
Old 05-30-22, 06:53 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 468 Posts
My son ran into a timber rattler just south of I-70 in Indiana today. A state DNR guy came out and said it was definitely a timber rattler. I found it odd the state showed up so fast.
Old 05-31-22, 09:17 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 544 Posts
Rarely see them. 10-15 yrs ago my cat brought a pencil thin, maybe 12 incher to me as a gift. Dropped it right on my bare foot. Totally ignored me telling him to take it back outside. He still hadn't learned the rule, "You bring something live to my bedroom, I'm taking it back outside and putting it where you can't get to it!" LOL. Miss that cat.
Old 05-31-22, 02:00 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 289 Posts
Came across a juvenile rattlesnake on the MUP in Tucson last month
(for some reason BF is not letting me embed this link to a Facebook video:
)
Old 06-01-22, 03:21 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2,231 Times in 1,616 Posts
lizards all the time everywhere, but when it comes to snakes around here, it's a rattler once in a while, thankfully not too often.
Old 06-04-22, 10:03 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2715 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 222 Posts
The babies sound like locusts. When I was chopping cotton for my uncle around Seminole TX, I heard that sound occasionally without knowing what it was. Then one day I was hearing it as I got to one end of the rows until I turned a thistle with my hoe and there it was. Don't really know if I was in it's striking range or not but it was in mine.

Don't touch the others though. They are good mousers.

Last edited by Zinger; 06-04-22 at 10:07 PM.
Likes For Zinger:
Old 06-05-22, 05:32 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
I have an eastern black rat snake that has taken up residency in my yard, it shows itself every so often...

Likes For work4bike:
Old 06-05-22, 05:37 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Funny thing about the snake above....These snakes are all over the place when hiking the AT. One day I heard some weird rattling; I've walked up on rattlesnakes, so I know what that sounds like, but this was different. I bent down and looked under some brush and there was a rat snake rattling its tail against the brush doing a very poor imitation of a rattlesnake.