Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Gas prices these days!

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Gas prices these days!

Old 06-01-22, 06:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 599 Posts
Gas prices these days!

We've done it; our local gas prices have hit $7.17/gal., $2/gal. in two months. Mind, this is the premium stuff, but Kaylee demands the best. I'm sure prices will continue to climb. We don't drive her too often, and she's a sipper not a gulper, but daaamn.

How's it looking in your area?
Old 06-01-22, 07:17 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 407 Posts
Southern California checking in. Bought regular unleaded this past Sunday for $5.69/gallon at a World Oil station (large independent refiner here in So Cal). There are a few stations that are cheaper ($5.55 is the lowest I've seen), but some of the brand-named station are charging $6.29/gallon or more (Chevron, Exxon-Mobil).
Old 06-01-22, 07:25 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked 1,305 Times in 817 Posts
Diesel is $6.10 at the local WaWa in NJ. Home heating oil ha came down from $6.39 to $5.49. I paid $1.59 for home heating oil in October of 2020. Premium is $5.25 at the cheapest place
Old 06-01-22, 07:42 PM
base2 
Doesn't brain good.

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 451 Posts
I really don't know the fuel prices in my area.

Electricity OTOH is $0.101/KWh. Up to about 85 miles is about two dollars & fifty cents from home & takes about 30-40 minutes empty to full from a public DC station

So glad I bought a small battery used 2016 e-car for $12k (tax-free) goin' on about 3 years ago. I don't know how ya'll petrol people do it.

I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.
Old 06-01-22, 09:50 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 2,227 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
I really don't know the fuel prices in my area.
We home charge during the evening since we have lower EV only rates then. To do a full evening charge at home is around $15 for 0 to 100% for a full 100 kWh of battery energy that gives 400 miles but we usually only charge for less than a 100 miles to just 90% or 100% if we are going on a long trip the next day. At the Mendocino house we use only renewable energy for charging so there is no cost there.
Old 06-02-22, 03:48 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 184 Posts
Everybody that is 60 and over remembers the 1970's where gasoline was $0.35 a Gallon for LEADED REGULAR(89 Octane) in June 1973.
LEADED REGULAR(89 Octane) was about two cents per gallon less expensive, than UNLEADED REGULAR (87 Octane) once UNLEADED FUEL became widely available in late Summer 1974 because the new 1975 MODELS sold in USA required UNLEADED FUEL ONLY.
Well in Nov 1973, gasoline price per gallon, relatively speaking went through the roof, and then for a brief period near year end, you had limits on the amount of gas that you could purchase, and typically you could only purchase on Even or ODD number days, based on your license plate number.
This was a huge issue for folks with Cadillacs, Lincolns, large Chryslers, and anything else that got 7 to 9 miles per gallon, remember now that the typical Chevy, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Dodge, Buick got about 11 miles to the gallon, Ford 260/289/302 low output two barrel engines got the best mpg of any V-8 at about 13 to 14 mpg. The Ford 200 inline six /and earlier 170 inline six was the most fuel efficient six cylinder engine at that time and you typically got 16 to 18 mpg. The Rambler/AMC six would produce 16 to 17 mpg, and the Slant Six in 170 to 225 variations would do 16 mpg, as would the excellent Chevy 250 inline six, and the Ford 250 inline six.
The German made Ford 2.0 four cylinder in the Cortina and in 1971 -1973 Pintos, and 1972-1973 imported German made Ford Capri (sold thru Mercury dealers between '70 and '75).....that German made Ford 2.0 four cylinder would give 21mpg, and the Ford (Kent Engine) 1600 cc four that was the engine in the 1971 Capri and the base engine in the 1971 & 1972 Pinto and base engine in I think the 1972 Capri also, would deliver 25 mpg. The 1.9 liter OPEL four cylinder delivered about 25 mpg. The Datsun L-16 four cylinder (1600cc) in the '68-'73 Datsun 510 delivered about 24 mpg. The 1971 VW Beetle and VW Superbeetle 1600cc dual port with 34 pict-3, delivered 27 mpg. Toyota's Corolla with the 2TC 1600 cc engine delivered about 24 mpg, and the Corolla with the 1100cc engine delivered about 30 mpg. Datsun also had a 1200 cc four which delivered close to 30 mpg. The Chevy Vega 2.3 four delivered nearly 25 mpg but it burned four quarts of oil every 200 miles and the engine would self destruct due to its inferior design within 30,000 miles. The engine wouldn't have been too bad if GM had used cylinder liners from the outset. Sadly it was a piece of trash, and gave proof that GM's Detroit engineering was awful compared to its Adam OPEL , GM Germany subsidiary as far as four cylinder engines. The six year old OPEL cam in head four cylinder (1964) design was far better than the new released in '70 (for '71 Vegas) p.o.s. 2.3 Chevy aluminum trashpile.
To give yall some context, you also had various other forgotten pieces of trash imports like SIMCA (french) ...Mannix's secretary drives one in 1968 and 1969 seasons before going Japanese. You had FIATS, Triumphs, MGB's, Austins, Spridgets(sprites/midgets) ---British Leyand garbage, and Italian garbage like Lancia and Alfa Romeo and Mitsubishi's badged as Dodge Colts in the early seventies thru about 1979..............All of these cars got excellent gas mileage.....typically 24 to 25, some closer to 28 mpg. Only the Mitsubishi's badged as Dodge Colts etc could be considered halfway decent, as everything from England, France, and Italy was purely garbage, excepting the MGB and 124 Spider which would only be considered rubbish or mostly trash, but not quite as bad as pure garbage.
The seventies era (final generation) of the Triumph Spitfire was a beautiful car, with nice interior and good handling and decent brakes, but the engine, and transmission was pure garbage. No joke, the 1978 TRIUMPH SPITFIRE was the high water mark as far as the most one year model sales of that car in the USA market.
A beautiful piece of trash, until you took the drivetrain from a wrecked '78 SR5 Corolla with 2TC engine 1.6 liter hemi and the T-50 five speed from same '78 Corolla, and the same live rear axle from same '78 Corolla with 3.9 to 1 ratio. My little brother has a masters in mechanical engineering and he built and raced those 2TC toyota hemis. It helped too that family once had numerous large car delearships back in the day, so as an owner/stockholder, you could build it there with the key experienced staff gearheads at the dealership(s).
Sheesh though, the skyrocket effect of gas going from 35 cents to 55 cents and then to $1.25 a gallon by June 1980, you couldn't give away a 1969 - 1975 Cadillac, Lincoln, Chrysler etc. Nobody wanted anything with a Mopar 440, or 426, or 360, and nobody wanted anything with a Chevy 409, 427, 454, or 400, and nobody wanted a 455 Oldsmobile, or 455 Buick, or 455 Pontiac super duty, or 426, or Ford 390, 351 C, 400, 429, 428, 460 engines or anything Cadillac 390, 429, 472, 500 cubic inch engines BECAUSE YOU WOULD NOT GET 10 miles to the gallon with them. Many of those engines are near bulletproof but 7 to 9 miles to the gallon really becomes a LIABILITY, especially during that time circa '73-'74 where gas rationing was in place, where you were limited to X number of gallons. Somebody with a Volvo or an MGB could travel quite far on for example 10 gallons, but at approx 7mpg in a Caddy , you could only travel between 68 to 71 miles before you ran out of gas. It wasn't a case of cost being no object, because really rich people could easily afford it, but when rich people have to resort to buying gas from their maid, and siphoning two gallons from their maid's '66 Volkswagen Beetle, just to get enough gas to go about a dozen extra miles.
You had to have lived through the 1970's to understand.
Stupid is as stupid does.
People are just fricking dumb. They buy more than they can swing, and then they don't have the wherewithall to afford to fill the tank if gasoline isn't dirt cheap inexpensive. These fricking morons do understand that OIL is a commodity which is greatly impacted by global demand as well as geo-political concerns.
Yet, the el-stupidoes here in USA don't even consider the MPG of said New Car that they consider buying. Yall do know that the Mandatory posting of EPA MPG estimates did not begin until the period in the early seventies when gas prices shot up from 35 cents to nearly 60 cents.
So everybody has had that INFORMATION on the WINDOW STICKER for almost 50 years now, but no one cares. They want 250+ to 350+ horsepower, although they don't realize that 160 horsepower is adequate to power any 5000 pound giant SUV or Truck, assuming that you have at least 230 ft pounds of torque. Torque is what moves the car out, and given adequate matched transmission/transaxle gearing and final drive ratio, said vehicle should have no issue with passing power, accelleration, at any range between 0 and 95 mph. Now certainly above 95mph you will not have the same powerband with something 5000 pounds and 160 horsepower as you would in the same vehicle with powerplant producing 250hp to 300 hp which will still have a strong powerband to probably the 115mph range. Now, truthfully, who the hell drives at 95mph or above. If you do, you will be spending more on speeding ticket citations than you spend annually on gasoline.

While I do sympathize with those folks that earn near minimum wage, that are between a rock and a hard place in that they have no marketable skills to readily improve their employment situation and receive a significantly larger weekly paycheck. It is a tripple whammy as FOOD COSTS skyrocket, the essential gas needed to commute to work is taking a larger portion of their earnings, and then other essentials, housing(rent), child care/health insurance costs, prescription costs and interest rates on their unsecured debt(credit cards) will skyrocket too as their FICO scores are probably in the 640 range or worse.
You are gonna see an increase in vehicle repossessions, likely from the near minimum wage, only high school educated folks who have financed used cars, but can barely afford the gas, insurance and maintenance and car note, that when something goes wrong or some other important family bill takes precedent, they will lose that car.
They are almost always way too upside down to get out of said vehicle, even if it has a decent mkt resale value.
It isn't gonna be good when the hand to mouth, low wage earners reach the melt-down point probably by my estimate, sometime in mid February 2023, and the US economy tanks. Sadly, I don't see anything that could possibly change this runaway inflation, escalating OIL price situation. For one thing, there hasn't been a new refinery that has been built in the USA since maybe about 1976, and you have lost refining capacity during the past five years. Heck, June 1st begins the ATLANTIC Hurricane Season, (June 1st through Nov 30th is Hurricane season, although by mid OCT typically it is done..) Now, imagine if any Hurricane were to impact Louisiana and Texas where much of the refinery capacity is located, we could easily see $10 per gallon gasoline for a few months before it settled into the $8.25 per gallon range.
Now, the other important consideration with regards to REFINING crude oil, you have a sort of an uneasy balance of how much to devote to airplane fuel, how much to devote to diesel fuel for commercial trucking, and how much to devote to pump gasoline. The USA has enough CRUDE OIL currently being brought out of the ground just in West Texas to stabilize gasoline prices at current or even lower price levels, but there is not sufficient refining capacity even at 100% going 24/7, assuming that were possible, to keep up with current demand for diesel fuel and gasoline You also have to transport said diesel and gasoline to its destination. The current administration has been short sighted and idiotic in my opinion with respect to the realization that oil is and will be a major player and the most important factor in worldwide transportation for perhaps the next century. I don't forsee being able to fly to ROME or PARIS in a lithium battery powered airplane, or a hot air ballon, or on a Goodyear blimp type airship. Heck, I don't forsee being able to fly to see my grandkids in SanDiego on anything other than a jet that burns a helluva lot of jet fuel.
Heck, I've owned stock in most major integrated oil companies at one time or another since about 1972, and at times I have purchased and owned the drillers/exploration companies, as well as some that are engaged almost exclusively in refining operations
Nobody rightfully wants a dang refinery in their backyard......, yall remember that opening scene in scenic New Joisee on The SOPRANOS that shows part of that one refinery, but OIL is here to stay as long as we have airplanes and it will be more than thirty years before there are acceptable alternatives in electric vehicles for commercial trucking and for everday vehicles that the middle-class and lower wage earners here in the USA can afford to own and drive.
The worldwide automobile industry has proven that it can produce very fuel efficient, (35mpg to 40 mpg) vehicles that are decent sized BUT CONSUMERS HERE IN THE USA HAVE SHOWN TIME AND TIME AGAIN THAT THEY DON'T GIVE A HOOT ABOUT RELATIVE FUEL ECONOMY (MPG) , UNTIL SUCH TIME THAT THEY FIND THAT THEIR BACKS ARE UP AGAINST THE WALL & THEY CANNOT AFFORD GASOLINE, THEIR RENT, AND THE COST OF FOOD. This has only happened a few times and just like a drunk-alcoholic, they go back to bigger-more horsepower-who cares about MPG, once they can again afford to eat and pay the rent and fuel up the tank. That is just the 'merry-can way. Nothing is wrong with that as freedom of choice is a good thing, but like ol Forrest Gump said, "stupid is as stupid does".

Here is a simple EXAMPLE calculation of just how meaningful a decent MPG vehicle could be to those who haven't the income level and discretionary income to swing the spiking commodity costs and inflationary pressures on everyday life.

Assume that someone NEEDS to DRIVE 15,000 miles annually and they select a vehicle which averages (30 mpg) in overall combined city/hwy driving.

Lets assume for the sake of this argument that GASOLINE price averages $6 per gallon over the course of that one year.

15,000 miles driven DIVIDED BY 30 miles per gallon = 500 gallons USE PER YEAR

500 gallons at $6 per gallon = $3000 annual gasoline cost to drive 15,000 miles

$3000 cost per year DIVIDED BY 12 = $250 per month gasoline cost ( at $6 per gallon....assuming 15,000 miles driven per year)

******Now, even your 4th Grader, grandchild, can calculate and tell you that it is gonna be a whole heckuva lot more in total gasoline cost at $6 per gallon IF YOUR VEHICLE ONLY AVERAGES 18 MPG in everyday combined city/highway Driving.

Now, of course nearly everybody knows this but they figured that at $2.30 per gallon gasoline, that they had no worries at all, so they didn't care. It of course is no big deal if you're wealthy and that $8.50 per gallon is not gonna impact you at all, assuming no rationing-shortages, etc, where you cannot get enough to run your gas guzzler, but the folks that can least afford it, are the idiots that have gotten into the situation of not being able to afford the fuel for their 2017 Suburban or 2017 Ford F150.
This is some deep do do of an inflationary situation that the country is facing. Price inflation is not going to subside because commercial trucks move 95% of goods transported within the USA. As long as the price of Diesel fuel continues to escalate, lookout cause the Inflation monster is gonna inflict the pain that hasn't been experienced in more than forty years. Now, most of you folks that are under 60 years old, don't realize that back before the early eighties, that the price of DIESEL fuel was substantially less in price per gallon than either LEADED REGULAR which was two cents per gallon less then than UNLEADED REGULAR. Just to give yall perspective on how different the cost spread once was, for example in the Summer of 1980, the price of a gallon of DIESEL at the pump was $1 and the price of LEADED REGULAR was about $1.21 per gallon, and the price of UNLEADED REGULAR was $1.23 per gallon. Hell, a whole helluva lot of Diesel VW Rabbits and Mercedes 280D and 300D diesel sedans & wagons were sold in the USA between 1977 and 1982. Trucking played a huge part in moving goods and freight in those double digit inflation days, but as you see DIESEL was then less costly than gasoline, as it was then simpler and less costly to refine the DIESEL fuel that was common to that era. Today DIESEL is significantly more costly per gallon than gasoline. Todays big rig Diesel trucks are probably about 35% more fuel efficient than a big rig was back in 1979. I know some of you youngsters are wondering when was LEADED REGULAR gasoline phased out in the USA. It was phased out in about 1986, since only pre 1975 cars could legally use LEADED REGULAR GASOLINE. England however did not phase out LEADED Petrol (gasoline) until the end of the year 2000.
Todays spike in DIESEL fuel cost will be continually immediately passed on to the consumer in higher prices on items at the grocery store/supermarkets, and for nearly everything else from Target/Walmart/Dollar General/Home Depot/Lowes/Ace/Walgreens/CVS..... There is no escaping this monster. At some point (my prediction of Feb 2023 stands) that the lower middle class and the bottom wage earners will run out of all disposable discretionary income and out of all emergency savings, assuming that they had any to begin with, and will not be able to keep up and will begin to max out high interest credit cards before many of them default and look at bankruptcy in the face. If we have a hard landing, severe recession at that point in early 2023, and a significant retracement and loss in nyse and dow industrials, then all hell will break loose as companies will seek to reduce cost to lessen the impact to the bottom line, and thus headcount will be significantly reduced, as a reduction in salaries/payroll wages has the most immediate practical impact in reducing costs. To paraphrase my friend Mr. Fogerty, " I see Oil Prices Rising, I see trouble on the way. I see a bad moon a rising. I see All Prices Rising.

The low end wage earners and lower middle class is going to be crushed far worse by these inflation pressures, far, far worse than those folks in a comparative bottom level wage earners during the Seventies. The reason that I theorize this will be so is because during the Seventies you had better benefits for low wage earners and you did have progressively increasing wages for those bottom level workers then in the Seventies, as there were several significant increases in the federal minimum wage during the seventies, the last went into effect during 1981. Even though 1968 is considered the highest point in real inflation adjusted dollar terms for having the highest inflation adjusted minimum wage of all time, the increases of the seventies did lose pace somewhat to 1968 based on inflation, but the low wage worker of the seventies was way better off than those bottom enders of today, assuming that those bottom ender folks in the late seventies weren't folks who lost good paying factory jobs, when the factory closed and then had to go work at Kmart, Radio Shack, Montgomery Wards, Woolworths, or Sears for near minimum wage.

Hopefully, I am completely wrong in my prognostication, and things don't go so far off the rails.
The price of gasoline is not really significant to me. Even if it were to reach $12 a gallon, it wouldn't really phase me too much. Yeah, I would be paying a helluva lot more for goods and services too because of such inflation but such a shock would have little to no effect on me. I am concerned and do certainly realize that everyone is not so fortunate. I have seen this "bad movie" before live, you could say I was a character in it, in living 3D color more than 40 years ago, and what is troubling is that it could be as bad, and hopefully not worse , which would occur, I think, if the stock market (the 30 Dow Jones industrials and/or the broader nyse) were to tank 45% from current levels by mid Feb 2023.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 06-02-22, 03:55 AM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2423 Post(s)
Liked 3,221 Times in 1,739 Posts
Old 06-02-22, 04:33 AM
GhostRider62

Tax credits so rich can smugly brag about their $60k electric cars is just wrong.

In case nobody knows, the tax credits really only work for high earners. You know, the people who can afford to buy the car on their own without help from us poor people.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-02-22, 06:45 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 184 Posts
The tax credits are essentially "PORK" spending to assist in both boosting sales of electric vehicles and incentivize these wealthy folks into becoming early adopters which otherwise, many likely wouldn't have at this point in time. There is also a great sustained hope that these incentivized wealthy adopters also become major influencers and status symbol trend starters in for example that the ordinary masses begin to see the electric vehicle as extremely desireable item when attainable. This "cool" -"desirable"-"really want one, when able to swing for the purchase price", attitude - mania or whatever you want to call it when, most everybody wants one when it becomes affordable enough to them, really helps keeps public interest in the electric car segment, and likely helps grow the electric car segment, exponentially faster than otherwise, had the tax credits not have been in place for buyers of said electric cars.
In one respect, you are subsidizing the electric car manufacturer, because if said vehicle was so great and such a great deal in the marketplace relative to other non-electric vehicles, there would be absolutely no need to provide any incentive tax credit for anyone to consider the purchase of said electric car. Folks would be lined up for miles to buy said cars and demand would be off the charts, if the current electric vehicle offerings were so great in the eyes of the public compared to the gasoline fueled vehicle offerings from all major worldwide manufacturers. If that were truly the case, you would have demand like what Americans saw in 1964 with demand for the new Mustang or the sales of Beatles Capitol Records 45's and LP's and the demand for tickets to their Summer 1964 North America concert dates.
The Tax Credit on said Electric Vehicle is in my opinion a collosal waste of money, pushed by misguided idiot proponents with either the manufacturer based in their district( true pork ) or non-reality based, way out dreamer idiots with an agenda to try to put an end to the internal combustion engine as soon as possible in their 'save the world campaign'.
Those few dreamer idiot nutjobs in Congress would just assume that the federal goverment just hand out a large check directly to help any moron buy an electric vehicle at an affordable price, but the reality is that as crazy as the opposing parties can be, with imbeciles on the right as well as the left, but nearly all those imbeciles despite their widely differing views on many things, do find a consensus that tax credits are okay.........one side wishes to support swift switch to electric vehicles as soon as possible......the other side wishes to see their taxes reduced in whatever way possible......, ......So This Incredibly Stupid Tax Credit For Purchasing An Electric Vehicle exists!
Old 06-02-22, 07:02 AM
jadmt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
I wonder why gas prices are so high?
Likes For jadmt:
Old 06-02-22, 07:51 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I wonder why gas prices are so high?
M2 was pumped up by 40% while US oil production was constrained by 2 million barrels per day.
Old 06-02-22, 07:54 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 484 Posts
I have no idea what gas costs in my area (WI) either. I just fill the tank in my truck every Friday and it cost me somewhere between $90 - $100.
Old 06-02-22, 08:08 AM
Polaris OBark
Dirt Roadie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 791 Times in 477 Posts

San Jose Mercury News photo
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-02-22, 08:15 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 3628 Post(s)
Liked 2,058 Times in 1,306 Posts
I've filled up my car twice this year. WFH is pretty great.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-02-22, 08:16 AM
jadmt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
M2 was pumped up by 40% while US oil production was constrained by 2 million barrels per day.
but why did that happen, who is responsible seems like there would be an easy fix.
Old 06-02-22, 08:17 AM
GhostRider62

but why did that happen, who is responsible seems like there would be an easy fix.
There is no going back; entropy sucks.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-02-22, 09:14 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 287 Posts
https://www.federalreservehistory.or...and-conference
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-02-22, 09:15 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-02-22, 09:17 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-02-22, 09:18 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cur...-roman-empire/

It seems like every empire goes through this feedback loop.

Military expansion, increasing centralization, trade imbalance, bread and circuses, all of which “funded” by currency debasement.
The currency debasement leads to a lower standard of living among the poor and middle class, ruling class attempts to shore up standard of living by plunder (military expansion…while skimming some off the top), and the cycle goes around again.

Party is irrelevant.

Last edited by SkinGriz; 06-02-22 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-02-22, 09:31 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 657 Posts
NY State just yesterday dropped the state sales tax, lowering the price by $.16 cents. We were roughly at $4.77 gallon locally thus week, I gas up in an hour, will find out.
Old 06-02-22, 09:36 AM
base2 
Doesn't brain good.

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 451 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62 View Post
Tax credits so rich can smugly brag about their $60k electric cars is just wrong.

In case nobody knows, the tax credits really only work for high earners. You know, the people who can afford to buy the car on their own without help from us poor people.
An electric car also doesn't cost $60k any more. Every major manufacturer has a $60k vehicle though.

A $60k vehicle of any kind is just wrong. (Squinting at Mr. Bro-truck over there.)

Tax credits are what enabled my cash/trade transaction on my average (for my area) household income. All it took was a moment of curiosity & an evening of research. Then, the tiniest bit of resourcefulness. What I was looking for was at the car dealership literally down the street. $4000 of cash + the 30mpg guzzler of a sedan. In, out, done.

I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.
Old 06-02-22, 09:43 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 475 Posts
In 1974 I got a levy to Germany then Vicenza Italy. In Vicenza we got our coupons for use at the ClassX store (Liquor) and Gas. The Gas coupons were so that we could afford to buy gas on the economy (Italy). At that time our discounted Gas Coupons allowed us to buy gas at the low price of 1.80 to 1.90 USD a liter. All in all it came out to about 7.50 USD a Gallon. And that was discounted.

There were many GI's who would take a few cartons of Cigarettes and some gas coupons with a little cash over to the bike shops and trade for a high quality custom road bike. But not me... Ha
Old 06-02-22, 09:57 AM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2423 Post(s)
Liked 3,221 Times in 1,739 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
I gas up in an hour.
You must have a big tank.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-02-22, 11:23 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 436 Posts
I ride my so much in lieu of driving I don't even know what the prices are now.

Likes For work4bike:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.