Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saddle fit difficulties

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle fit difficulties

Old 06-19-22, 07:33 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 335 Posts
Saddle fit difficulties

I presently use a Brooks Cabnium carved saddle and I keep getting really sore between my sit bones and the inner/back sides of my upper thigh to glute crease (probably a better name for this)

I have used anti chafing cream, I'm adjusted the height, angle, forward/back position of the saddle, tried a thudbuster and so far, I usually have to take a day off from riding for the soreness to fade. I have also tried an Selle SMP TRK, SMP WELL and a few others.

Recently had to sit in the saddle more forward to relieve the pressure but then there was more preninin... per... taint pressure.

Am I missing something obvious?

Is there a cutout saddle with a narrow horn?

Thanks
Old 06-19-22, 08:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
You are missing any hint of your gender. There are many gender specific saddles out there but not knowing what you are, it’s just guess work

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-19-22, 10:38 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I presently use a Brooks Cabnium carved saddle and I keep getting really sore between my sit bones and the inner/back sides of my upper thigh to glute crease (probably a better name for this)
I have used anti chafing cream, I'm adjusted the height, angle, forward/back position of the saddle, tried a thudbuster and so far, I usually have to take a day off from riding for the soreness to fade. I have also tried an Selle SMP TRK, SMP WELL and a few others.
Recently had to sit in the saddle more forward to relieve the pressure but then there was more preninin... per... taint pressure.
Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks
... 1st rsbob - from above: "...sit in the saddle more forward to relieve the pressure but then there was more preninin... per... taint pressure"
I've not heard a rider of the female persuasion refer to that anatomy as 'taint'... but the world is changing... LOL!

OP - don;t know the Brooks Cambium models (haven't ridden Brooks since the mod-70s). You don;t note which model Cambium you have - there seem to be a variety, some with center channel cutouts.
things to consider, given what you describe - "...keep getting really sore between my sit bones..." maybe consider your saddle width. If your sitzbones are sitting near each outside of the saddle the support may not be directly under the sizebones - maybe try a wider saddle than what you currently have. Most std widths are 130mm, 135, 143 & 155 - measured across the widest part.
also a slightly 'flatter' saddle platform may help.
"...and the inner/back sides of my upper thigh to glute crease" I have to ask, do you have heavier thighs / more meat on the inside of thigh? saddles with a quicker curve of the skirt to the horn width may help. Many of the 'New' designs have a much 'slower' curve shape from sitz to horn - those may prove an issue...
I have found, for me, that saddles with a center cutout work well for me (although 2 of my favorites are old school style without the cutout), if they have a fast skirt curve from sitz to horn AND have a flatter shape (I don't have heavy thighs, inner or general volume, generally consider 'thin' in comparison). My suggestions are NOT based on what works for me, but on what you describe as you issues.
Finally, how often do you ride? If your time between rides is longer, like once every 8-10 days or longer, the sitzbones never get 'adapted' to the saddle pressure, and hurt/ache like hell every infrequent ride... Beginner riders will all suffer this, when they first do regular rides. Usually takes 8 to 10 days of regular riding for the serious ache to start subsiding. Often happens to regular riders who have to take the winter months off completely. Always good to add in some indoor 'riding' 1 or 2x a week, just to keep the hurt from coming back...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 06-20-22, 11:08 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 261 Posts
Sounds like you need to have someone who knows what they are doing assist you with a proper width saddle, saddle position, and angle. In person sorta thing. Blind advice on the web will not solve your problem.

Just saying'
Old 06-20-22, 01:09 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I use a Cambium C17 Carved on two bikes, and an un-carved one on another. On all of them, I angle the nose up about 5 degrees, measured with an Angle Meter phone app. I experience no discomfort on any of them.
Old 06-20-22, 04:45 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
I have to ask, do you have heavier thighs / more meat on the inside of thigh? saddles with a quicker curve of the skirt to the horn width may help. Many of the 'New' designs have a much 'slower' curve shape from sitz to horn - those may prove an issue...
I have found, for me, that saddles with a center cutout work well for me (although 2 of my favorites are old school style without the cutout), if they have a fast skirt curve from sitz to horn AND have a flatter shape (I don't have heavy thighs, inner or general volume, generally consider 'thin' in comparison). My suggestions are NOT based on what works for me, but on what you describe as you issues.
Finally, how often do you ride? If your time between rides is longer, like once every 8-10 days or longer, the sitzbones never get 'adapted' to the saddle pressure, and hurt/ache like hell every infrequent ride... Beginner riders will all suffer this, when they first do regular rides. Usually takes 8 to 10 days of regular riding for the serious ache to start subsiding. Often happens to regular riders who have to take the winter months off completely. Always good to add in some indoor 'riding' 1 or 2x a week, just to keep the hurt from coming back...
Ride On
Yuri
I don't understand the 'slower curve from sitz to horn"
Do you have a picture of said saddles?

The saddle has a cutout (or carve)

I ride 3-5 days a week, Would be more if I wasn't so tender.

Yeah, I have big ol' T-rex legs. Basically built like LOTR dwarf.

Maybe a saddle with a narrow horn?

I'll also try Rolla's advice and set a 5 degrees nose up position.
Old 06-21-22, 12:21 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
I don't understand the 'slower curve from sitz to horn"
Do you have a picture of said saddles?
The saddle has a cutout (or carve)
I ride 3-5 days a week, Would be more if I wasn't so tender.
Yeah, I have big ol' T-rex legs. Basically built like LOTR dwarf.
Maybe a saddle with a narrow horn?
I'll also try Rolla's advice and set a 5 degrees nose up position.
"curve" I mean is how the saddle transitions from the sitz area to the horn. this was illustrated by a comparison I made in another thread - Specialized Power saddle digs into upper thigh
Saddle on left shows a more traditional transition curve from sitz to horn. Power Saddle on right shows a 'slower' transition curve. The 'faster' transition of the traditional/left saddle suits me better, and may also be more comfortable for someone with heavier thighs...
There are other factors, but this is one to consider. If the saddle 'skirt' (saddle edge from the sitz area forward towards the horn...) has a hard edge rather than a smooth downward curved edge, that might also be digging in...
here's 2 saddles, same company. The Sella San Marco Strada (one of my Favs) shows an old school/traditional skirting which goes a ways down. Many modern saddles have eliminated the longer skirting, as shown in the SSM Aspide. Not saying the shortened skirt is bad, but a hard edge for some may not be as comfortable a traditional skirt. I'm finding enough newer designs which seem to work well for me - but I also don;t have meaty thighs. I also chose a pic of the Aspide, cause this one is what seems a recent trend to 'shorter' saddle length. This saddle is that shorter length, but also shows a fast transition curve from sitz to horn, and a large cutout, with what seems quite an ample sitz width (but that is relative and actual measured width should be the consideration...)

Sella San Marco Strada Ti

Sella San Marco Aspide short
I haven't tried a 'short' saddle in a number of years. I had found one some 18 yrs back, can;t remember who made it. Used it on my TT bike to stay inside UCI regs and still have the sitz area about a cm+ ahead of a traditional length saddle (270 - 275 mm) I think it was a 'racing' BMX saddle... Worked great for TT, but in uses for normal road racing and crits it was scary! It's often when one has to push forward under a v-hard effort ("on the rivet"), and the shorter horn felt as if I was losing stability control - scary. That horn makes a big difference in bike control - for me.
also , as I mentioned, a saddle sitz width on the narrower side might not be supporting you properly... measure the saddle width where you might normally sit and maybe get a demo saddle just a bit wider, to see if this improves the support under the sitzbones?
just some options to consider...
enough for now - I'm off tomorrow for a 5 day tour, and offline - Yeah ! staying cool hugging the coast !
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 06-21-22, 04:21 AM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
The actual seat to your bicycle is your butt, and how well it works depends on how long and how hard you ride. Riding three to five times a week does not mean anything at all if they are not long and hard enough to build up your butt.

Personally for road bikes, if I am in shape to ride, it does not matter what seat I have on the bike at all, but if I am out of shape then I will use one of the thickly padded gel-filled seats which were probably designed for casual bicyclists. None of the small looking skimpy lightweight saddles is going to be comfortable for any normal person unless they are in shape from riding seriously around a hundred miles a week, going fast if their rides are on flatter terrain to make up for the lack of having to pedal hard up hills. I am sixty years old and probably am losing muscle mass, my seat, every year now, but I am guessing because I love to ride fast and hard five days a week my "seat" is still providing good service.
Old 06-21-22, 05:51 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Try short nose saddles. This one called "ISM Touring City". It's ugly but this one is meant for folks with prostate issues and possibly for other issues as well. Frankly, it looks very comfortable and want one myself if I can find a cheap version.
Old 06-21-22, 06:08 AM
strathconaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 22 Posts
You should have a professional fit done. A good fitter will try a number of saddles with you.
Old 06-21-22, 12:45 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by strathconaman
You should have a professional fit done. A good fitter will try a number of saddles with you.
More importantly, most "saddle issues" have nothing to do with the saddle, but instead are caused by a bad fit, too high seat height, improper setback, and too much reach. The majority of comfort issues I have helped others correct on Brooks saddles were corrected by lowering the saddle.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-21-22, 02:53 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
I sent 4 leather saddles to member RHM for cutouts.
It is a side interest for him. I have been happy with his saddles and the service he provided to me.

www.rhmsaddles.com

example of bigger cutout on narrow saddle.

Ideale with large cutout

Cutouts help me ride longer.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-21-22 at 03:01 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 06-21-22, 03:39 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
...very often (but probably not always), the 'taint chafing or rubbing issue is a result of sliding too far forward on your saddle. This results in direct contact between the 'taint and the saddle, which rubs you raw over the course of an average ride. You want your point of contact with the saddle to be the bony protuberances of your ischial tuberosities, not your pubic arch. Sometimes this results from the wrong saddle tilt (too inclined forward). Sometimes from too much reach to the stem and bar. Sometimes, it really does come down to conditioning, so you're pushing hard enough on the pedals to not put your entire weight n the saddle. Often, you need to drop the saddle height a quarter or half inch, to accommodate this new position, sitting on your sit bones on the wider part of the saddle.

It's an area where you need to experiment, and not be afraid to change stuff out, like a stem for shorter reach.

Old 06-21-22, 05:13 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 724 Posts
Yes, too much reach, or too high a saddle, or a combination of the two. If the saddle is too high, you will not be able to remain seated properly on the saddle.

The majority of saddle issues I have helped people correct, including my own issue years back, was a result of a saddle that was too high. Brooks saddles are especially sensitive to this issue. Many newer style saddles mask the issue, and are basically a bandaid for a bad fit. Many are resistant to lowering their saddle, until they do and suddenly realize they can now pedal more fluidly, and no longer have "saddle issues" or other "normal pains" after riding. You should not have ay pains after riding.
Old 06-21-22, 05:32 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
That Brooks seat is really hard. I have found that I need one with some padding. Order a Cobb Randee off Ebay for 35 bucks and give it a try.