Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

A New Soldering Iron!

Old 06-25-22, 05:09 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
A New Soldering Iron!

The other day I started the wiring project for my wife's dyno lighting systrm. Pulled out my really old Weller gun and nothing. After 45 years it bit the dust. Actually it had been playing up recently. So I picked up $20 Weller iron @ HD. Wow! What a joy to use something that heated uo fast + had a LED light!
Old 06-25-22, 09:40 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
The other day I started the wiring project for my wife's dyno lighting systrm. Pulled out my really old Weller gun and nothing. After 45 years it bit the dust. Actually it had been playing up recently. So I picked up $20 Weller iron @ HD. Wow! What a joy to use something that heated uo fast + had a LED light!
About 5 years ago, I finally upgraded from my cheap little 15 watt Radio Shack soldering iron to a Weller WES51 soldering station. I've used modern soldering irons at work, so I knew what it was like to not wait minutes to heat up, but it was still a bit luxurious to have that same level of performance at home too. The interchangeable tips are useful too, as is the ability to dial in the temperature.

Of course, like most modern products, I have no expectation that it will last 20 years or so. Perhaps the new soldering irons will have enough features to make it worthwhile to buy one when this Weller dies??

Steve in Peoria
Old 06-26-22, 04:12 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
My recent purchases include a DC powered T12 iron that is extremely convenient for travel between different AC voltage countries. I power it either from a lithium battery pack or AC/DC adapter. Another purchase is an AC powered iron with temperature control and digital temperature readout on the iron itself. Finally, there is a desoldering pump with both iron and suction motor in the handle. Yes, for most soldering at home, it is Weller WES51.