Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Old 03-09-23, 07:07 AM
Randoo
Aaa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great build!
Old 03-09-23, 04:46 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts

Likes For The Chemist:
Old 03-09-23, 10:29 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 761 Posts
I'm a bit - no, very late to this thread, but here's my "commutocruiser". Even though I stopped commuting regularly 6 years ago tomorrow, it's still my "commuting bike".

Here's the story behind it: It's a Ross "Mt. Cruiser" sold in the mid-1990s - swingset tubing, threaded BB, stock 5 speed freewheel. I got a pair of them brand new for me and my new girlfriend for about $300 for both in August 1995 (the same week we bought a Santana tandem). And I've upgraded both of them steadily through the years - hers is an 18-speed city bike.

One thing I quickly noticed about the bike - it fit me better than any other bike I'd owned. Its handling isn't fast at all, but rock-solid predictable and dependable - just the thing for demonstrating emergency maneuvers when teaching skills classes. And with the proper saddle and high-pressure tires it's efficient and very comfortable. It was my primary bike from 1995 until 2010, and I put many miles on it.

15 years later in 2010, I finally built up a several-pounds-lighter version of this cruiser with an aluminum Nashbar frame, and this one became my "backup primary" bike. We took it on the back of our pickup our Big 2010 Road Trip to Chicago and upper Michigan, and it worked great with my son's trailercycle. But then disaster struck - somewhere in the South Dakota Badlands, an arm on our ancient hitch rack finally fatigued and snapped, and the bike tumbled to the pavement unseen by me in the truck cab, and secured by a stout chain lock, was dragged behind the truck at 65 mph.

For several miles.

When others finally alerted us to the problem, the bike was in sorry shape indeed - wheels tacoed, components and handlebars ground into stubs, and paint missing from a good chunk of one side. We tossed the wreckage onto the shell roof, drowned our sorrows in Wall, and plodded back to AZ.

Back home, I stripped the bike and assessed the damage. The fork was completely bent and the rear triangle was bent inward, but the main tubes were still in plane and didn't have too much abrasion damage. I resigned myself to making it a wall decoration, but something deep within me said: "can we resuscitate an old friend?"

And I pondered the issue for a while. And realized: We have the technology. We have the spare parts. We can rebuild it. We can make it better, stronger, and... no, not faster. And I acquired a replacement fork, took a broom handle to the frame until the strings looked identical on both sides, grabbed several rolls of 3M Super 33 colored electricians tape off the shelf, and began wrapping. And wrapping, And wrapping. And then rebuilding.

The result: a reborn buddy who now has nearly 21,000 miles under the wheels, many enjoyable commutes and other rides, and still the "#1 backup" to the other bikes.

The current component mix is "eclectic mixed with thrifty" - 26" wheels salvaged from a doomed Giant, a Suntour short-cage rear derailleur held on by a hex bolt, a 40-24 Deore crank I painted to hide the blotchies, a 13-25 7-speed freewheel shifted either by Suntour friction thumbies or whatever salvaged index-7 shifter I'm testing, a comfy double-sprung saddle, a side basket repurposed as a front basket (with water bottle and cup holders inside), a $6 Costco flashlight set up as a decent headlight, a kluged-together super-bright rear lighting system, front n' rear racks, and of course a bell. All set up in a manner to offend anyone's sensibilities to the point where they wouldn't dare steal it.

Behold the beloved mess:

As for the "new girlfriend" I bought the bike with: We'll celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary next month.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 03-09-23 at 10:37 PM. Reason: add epilogue
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-10-23, 09:15 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
What a great story, and a beautiful, crazy bike! A history like that gives it value to you that is way greater than it could ever be worth to anybody else (and I'm glad to see it here instead of as an overpriced ad on the Wacky CL thread!)

Can I get another pic of your cockpit? Is that red some kind of aerobar/trekking bar extension for a more forward handhold?

Also that blue bashguard, is that painted steel or blue plastic? I made a thread one time speculating about whether a 3D-printed plastic bashguard would be strong enough to withstand the pressure from the chainring bolts.
Old 03-10-23, 10:08 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
What a great story, and a beautiful, crazy bike! A history like that gives it value to you that is way greater than it could ever be worth to anybody else (and I'm glad to see it here instead of as an overpriced ad on the Wacky CL thread!)
I like setting up my bikes in a manner that makes me happy, but might not appeal to others (it's my bike, right?) I am fully aware that the resale value of any of my bicycles is the sum salvage value of its parts - minus the time required to dismantle it. That's why my request for disposition of my bicycle collection in the case of my demise / disability is as follows:
- The wife & kid can keep what they want (likely not much)
- The rest goes to the local co-op for resale or parting out (likely the latter)

Can I get another pic of your cockpit? Is that red some kind of aerobar/trekking bar extension for a more forward handhold?

The bike has an early-generation SR touring handlebar (also used on MTBs) with a pair of longer bar ends that provide an added "aero" position when needed. The mirror is screwed to the left-side one. At a bike swap decades ago, I got a bunch of Spenco grips really cheap, and I use them to pad the bar ends. Due to the curve of the bar, there aren't a lot of mounting points for stuff, so the bell tucks in under the left shifter. The tips of the bar ends are useful for mounting handlebar accessories such as a cell phone mount if one is needed for some reason.

Also that blue bashguard, is that painted steel or blue plastic? I made a thread one time speculating about whether a 3D-printed plastic bashguard would be strong enough to withstand the pressure from the chainring bolts.
The chainguard was a worn-out 46 or 48 tooth aluminum chainring where I cut off the bad teeth and smoothed it out with a file. I painted the chainguard when I painted the cranks. If I was to do it again, I'd probably use more primer to improve paint adhesion (175 cranks on a low-bottom-bracket bike don't lead an easy life).
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-10-23, 12:35 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Love it all, thanks for the more pics! That bar almost looks like a moustache bar.

You make me want to go crazy with my bike.

Here's an old pic with 'circus tent' bicolor bartape

Nowadays the accent color is red
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 03-10-23, 01:26 PM
Litho dbh
El Rayo X

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

All City space horse. I didn't believe the weatherperson. It never snows in Portland
Old 03-10-23, 02:00 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Litho dbh
All City space horse. I didn't believe the weatherperson. It never snows in Portland
You should practice believing three impossible things every day before breakfast. Down here on the coast in far NorCal it rarely snows and never for long. This year we had snow days. It's been a wild couple of months. BTW, nice bike. Looks like it handled surprise!snow just fine.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-12-23, 07:48 PM
nevermore1701

Bikes: giant

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I'm a bit - no, very late to this thread, but here's my "commutocruiser". Even though I stopped commuting regularly 6 years ago tomorrow, it's still my "commuting bike".

Here's the story behind it: It's a Ross "Mt. Cruiser" sold in the mid-1990s - swingset tubing, threaded BB, stock 5 speed freewheel. I got a pair of them brand new for me and my new girlfriend for about $300 for both in August 1995 (the same week we bought a Santana tandem). And I've upgraded both of them steadily through the years - hers is an 18-speed city bike.

One thing I quickly noticed about the bike - it fit me better than any other bike I'd owned. Its handling isn't fast at all, but rock-solid predictable and dependable - just the thing for demonstrating emergency maneuvers when teaching skills classes. And with the proper saddle and high-pressure tires it's efficient and very comfortable. It was my primary bike from 1995 until 2010, and I put many miles on it.

15 years later in 2010, I finally built up a several-pounds-lighter version of this cruiser with an aluminum Nashbar frame, and this one became my "backup primary" bike. We took it on the back of our pickup our Big 2010 Road Trip to Chicago and upper Michigan, and it worked great with my son's trailercycle. But then disaster struck - somewhere in the South Dakota Badlands, an arm on our ancient hitch rack finally fatigued and snapped, and the bike tumbled to the pavement unseen by me in the truck cab, and secured by a stout chain lock, was dragged behind the truck at 65 mph.

For several miles.

When others finally alerted us to the problem, the bike was in sorry shape indeed - wheels tacoed, components and handlebars ground into stubs, and paint missing from a good chunk of one side. We tossed the wreckage onto the shell roof, drowned our sorrows in Wall, and plodded back to AZ.

Back home, I stripped the bike and assessed the damage. The fork was completely bent and the rear triangle was bent inward, but the main tubes were still in plane and didn't have too much abrasion damage. I resigned myself to making it a wall decoration, but something deep within me said: "can we resuscitate an old friend?"

And I pondered the issue for a while. And realized: We have the technology. We have the spare parts. We can rebuild it. We can make it better, stronger, and... no, not faster. And I acquired a replacement fork, took a broom handle to the frame until the strings looked identical on both sides, grabbed several rolls of 3M Super 33 colored electricians tape off the shelf, and began wrapping. And wrapping, And wrapping. And then rebuilding.

The result: a reborn buddy who now has nearly 21,000 miles under the wheels, many enjoyable commutes and other rides, and still the "#1 backup" to the other bikes.

The current component mix is "eclectic mixed with thrifty" - 26" wheels salvaged from a doomed Giant, a Suntour short-cage rear derailleur held on by a hex bolt, a 40-24 Deore crank I painted to hide the blotchies, a 13-25 7-speed freewheel shifted either by Suntour friction thumbies or whatever salvaged index-7 shifter I'm testing, a comfy double-sprung saddle, a side basket repurposed as a front basket (with water bottle and cup holders inside), a $6 Costco flashlight set up as a decent headlight, a kluged-together super-bright rear lighting system, front n' rear racks, and of course a bell. All set up in a manner to offend anyone's sensibilities to the point where they wouldn't dare steal it.

Behold the beloved mess:

As for the "new girlfriend" I bought the bike with: We'll celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary next month.
thats a great story and an awesome bike \MM/
Old 03-15-23, 08:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I haven't managed to make a routine to cycle to my new job (started November 28). I'm still adjusting to having a job where punctuality is paramount and to getting up at 5:30 every morning. I used to work four blocks away from the current location, and at the time, I believed bike commuting took the same amount of time as subway commuting. It didn't matter that I was wrong. But now it matters since I have to be at work on time.

So for the time being, I take the subway every day, and even though it takes a whole hour, I really don't mind it. I just would like some more time on the bike. Maybe in the spring, I'll find the strength to renew the effort.

So for the time being, this is my "commuter pic."

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-16-23, 03:43 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
Today was the first "nice" day to ride most parts of my commute:

Old 03-18-23, 08:30 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 47 Posts
Just upgraded the wheels and crank on my favorite practical ride about town.

Likes For irwin7638:
Old 04-04-23, 10:56 PM
StudentCommuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This is awesome!
Old 04-06-23, 11:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-06-23 at 01:42 PM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-07-23, 07:21 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This thing is awesome. I have a MC in the box still in the garage because I can't seem to get to building it. What size tires did you have on there.
Old 04-07-23, 07:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
This thing is awesome. I have a MC in the box still in the garage because I can't seem to get to building it. What size tires did you have on there.
Thanks! Yeah, I am partial to it.
The tires currently on it measure 38mm- Vittoria Hypers that sadly stopped being produced a few years ago.

Its been a really incredible frame- it spent 4 years as my gravel bike with 2x11 modern drivetrain, old 80s SunTour canti brakes, and 40-43mm tires.
It lived a short time as a single speed flatbar bike with 50mm tires that I used to ride river bottom flat singletrack with my kids.
It was then turned into a 3x9 touring bike with front and rear racks for panniers and a dry sack, only to be limited to a few weekend camping trips because covid hit.
And now its what you see here- same touring drivetrain with an old Sakae triple, but I now have some cheap and good vbrakes in place of the SunTour canti brakes, so the levers were changed to long pull too.

I looked for a long time to find a wide platform front rack that attaches to the mid-fork mounts, but there was nothing in stock for months and months(besides custom). If a porteur/pizza rack like that existed, I would have for sure picked it up and use a bag like an ILE rack bag.
But this setup works great. I need a Wald 139 basket because I carry a 15" laptop and thats too big for the 137 basket. The 139 is BIG(barely fits even with so much space due to the large frame and 44mm bars), but I got the Swift Motherloaf bag on deep discount and am happy with the result. There is no wonky handling, even when there is 10# of stuff in the bag.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-08-23, 11:06 AM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts

Linus Gaston 3. It’s a good bike for NYC.
Likes For rudypyatt:
Old 04-11-23, 10:18 PM
yabba235

Bikes: Vanhawk, belt drive, Alfine11 di2, sram apex hrd, madone handlebar and custom infinity-style saddle

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm also proud of my custom commuter:

Vanhawks - size XXL, Alfine 11 di2 belt gates drive. Total weight 12 kg, integral cable wiring etc.

Carbon Trek madone handlebars with custom pipe handle for light (knog), bike computer sigma 1609 and shimano di2 display

Handmade copy of infinity saddle

Last edited by yabba235; 04-14-23 at 03:43 AM.
Likes For yabba235:
Old 04-25-23, 11:08 AM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Having a really nice commuting season on two of my favorite bikes!

my bridgestone CB-1 wet/bad weather comfy commuter ($30 FB marketplace find!)

my all city super professional brings me to work via pavement or 'gravel' Microshift Advent loving the 44 x 11-46 9 speed drivetrain. clear odyssey pedals, TRP levers, surly racket and bag,
Likes For WestMass:
Old 04-25-23, 01:16 PM
M.Lou.B

Bikes: Trek Multitrack 7300

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ohhhh they look nice! Love the front rack, looks sturdy and so convenient!
Beautiful bikes, both of them. I wish you lots of fun and plenty of safe and good rides!
Old 05-02-23, 09:00 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I've been riding this 72 Motobecane Grand Record for the last couple of weeks. It's mostly original save the crankset, saddle, brake levers, tires, pedals and consumables. It's a sweet ride!

Likes For bargo68:
Old 05-03-23, 03:41 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 39 Posts
Commuter setup still in progress but here's my Centurion's new accessories. About 2 weeks to go until the Monkey Hill Commuter Challenge...
Likes For jaxy357:
Old 05-15-23, 12:37 AM
adxdopefish
Commuter

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
New Bag Day!

Last week I ordered the Ortlieb Commuter-Bag Two, which has arrived. It looks great!
I'm working from home for the next few days, but looking forward to trying it out on the commute later in the week.

Old 05-16-23, 02:47 PM
Galls

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Galls
My Cross Check.
Just logged back in to say, almost 14 years later and now living in Holland.

This has been and remains an amazing bike.

Old 08-04-23, 01:03 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Had to post a shot of my old pony on her first day of commuting duty in over 3 years, at home in her new office.

​​​​​​

9 years old this summer, and holding up very well for a mid-range BD.com cyclo-cross turned commuter rig.
Likes For Steely Dan:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.