Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which 2021 Endurance Road Bike? Trek, Cannondale, Giant

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-29-20, 03:01 PM
vascof1

Bikes: Canyon Endurace AL 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Good day everyone,

My first post on BF and looking forward to learning from you all.

I'm from up here in the Toronto Area, Ontario and am in the market for a new Endurance oriented road bike. I was looking at purchasing earlier in the year but have been amazed (not surprised) at the impact Covid has had on the availability of 2020s.

I seek your input please on suggestions on what makes sense for me:

Domane AL5 Disc - $2399
Cannondale Synapse 105 - $2100 (cable disc only - is that a big deal over hydraulic?)
Giant Contend AR1 - $2199

Edit: I forgot to mention we don't have Canyon bikes up here in Canada just yet. Canyon has announced for next spring 2021 but I'm not sure I should wait until then.

My usage and specs preferred:
I'm mid-40s male looking to improve my fitness in riding. I had an older Miele Vintage an am looking to upgrade after not riding for many years.
Starting to get back into it with 30+ kilometre rides at a time. No racing plans however perhaps some group rides in the future.
Looking for a bit of comfort too.

Aluminum frame. I don't see the value for Carbon Fibre unless I can be swayed to look at it.
Shimano 105 group set
Hydraulic Disc brakes preferred (most if not all have moved there any way at this price point)
Lightest in the above group of bikes preferred.

Thank you so much for your input.

Last edited by vascof1; 08-29-20 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-29-20, 03:29 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Those are all good bikes, it is just a matter of picking your poison. Normally I would say test ride them but I know that is difficult in these times.

Aluminum frame is fine, you aren't missing much by going to carbon. You will get minor differences in the Trek Domane. With the carbon series you get the ISO speed front and rear which really helps with comfort. It won't make you faster or stronger but comfort might matter. Most times, but not always carbon is lighter but remember the bike itself is only part of the whole package which includes what you weigh.

Shimano 105 is a great groupset. To me it is the bare minimum when buying a bike for those who want to get serious.

Brakes, that is a can of worms in these forums so I will just give my opinion. Disc brakes have many advantages, like being able to use larger tire that caliper brakes can't handle well. It is all in the design. Hydraulic brakes are easy on the hands especially when it is cold and wet and you are trying to bring the bike to a stop. I also find that they modulate better. I have owned every style of brake out there and after trying hydraulic disc brakes I would never go back to anything else. Others are fine with cable actuated and even with rim brakes.

It may all come down to what is in stock and if you want the bike this year. The shops that I have been visiting here in Toronto have been pretty empty so grab what you can. Good luck on what ever you buy. As I said you can't go wrong with any of those that you chose.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 08-29-20, 03:40 PM
vascof1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you BlackCloud. Appreciate your thoughts. Especially on the hydro disc brakes.
Old 08-29-20, 03:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Which ones are actually available to you? That might narrow it down.
Old 08-29-20, 03:45 PM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
If you waited for the Canyons you could have the carbon fiber frame with 105 at your price point which is lighter or their endurance model in CF with Ultegra and better tires for 3,000. I understand not wanting to wait because waiting is killing me and I don't think you can go wrong with an aluminum frame and 105 to start with, but at your price point there are considerations.
​​​​​​
Old 08-29-20, 05:08 PM
vascof1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Which ones are actually available to you? That might narrow it down.
None of them due to the Covid boom.

However all of them other than then the Canyon Endurace will be available for preorder in the next month.
Old 08-29-20, 05:09 PM
vascof1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by y2zipper
If you waited for the Canyons you could have the carbon fiber frame with 105 at your price point which is lighter or their endurance model in CF with Ultegra and better tires for 3,000. I understand not wanting to wait because waiting is killing me and I don't think you can go wrong with an aluminum frame and 105 to start with, but at your price point there are considerations.
​​​​​​
thank you. Will consider the CF model if I’m still in the market early next year. Hopefully Canypn provides an update before then.
Old 08-29-20, 05:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
I am very happy with my Canyon Endurace CF 7.0. 105, hydraulic discs, and GP5000s. I keep scoring PRs on Strava, even though I've been riding these roads for years.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-29-20, 05:56 PM
Buddy of KS

Bikes: Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vascof1
Good day everyone,

I'm from up here in the Toronto Area, Ontario and am in the market for a new Endurance oriented road bike. I was looking at purchasing earlier in the year but have been amazed (not surprised) at the impact Covid has had on the availability of 2020s.

Domane AL5 Disc - $2399
Cannondale Synapse 105 - $2100 (cable disc only - is that a big deal over hydraulic?)

Edit: I forgot to mention we don't have Canyon bikes up here in Canada just yet. Canyon has announced for next spring 2021 but I'm not sure I should wait until then.

I'm mid-40s male looking to improve my fitness in riding. I had an older Miele Vintage an am looking to upgrade after not riding for many years.
Starting to get back into it with 30+ kilometre rides at a time. No racing plans however perhaps some group rides in the future.

Aluminum frame. I don't see the value for Carbon Fibre unless I can be swayed to look at it.
Shimano 105 group set
Hydraulic Disc brakes preferred (most if not all have moved there any way at this price point)

What are you riding now?
Old 08-29-20, 05:57 PM
Buddy of KS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good day everyone,

Domane AL5 Disc - $2399

Shimano 105 group set

What are you riding now?
Old 08-30-20, 04:01 PM
vascof1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I am very happy with my Canyon Endurace CF 7.0. 105, hydraulic discs, and GP5000s. I keep scoring PRs on Strava, even though I've been riding these roads for years.
Looks amazing.

Can I ask how tall you are? I ask I’ve found how Canyon sizes their frames to be different than the others. At 5’7” I’m a small for Giant and Trek. However on Canyon’s site, it is showing an XS.

was that the same experience for you?
Old 08-30-20, 04:01 PM
vascof1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddy of KS
What are you riding now?
it’s a Vintage Miele. I’m ready for the upgrade.
Old 08-30-20, 04:20 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Looks amazing.

Can I ask how tall you are? I ask I’ve found how Canyon sizes their frames to be different than the others. At 5’7” I’m a small for Giant and Trek. However on Canyon’s site, it is showing an XS.

I'm 5'6" and bought an XS Endurace. It fits like it was custom made for me with a couple very easy adjustments out of the box, like fore/aft correct saddle position and height (obviously) and a very simple bar adjustment by swapping a spacer to get a hair lower in the drops than it was originally set up for. Turns out I liked it better the way it arrived, though, so that's how it is now. XS for guys in our height range is the truth.
Old 08-30-20, 04:39 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I have several high end bikes, yet my every day road bike is an aluminum Specialized Allez Sprint that I built up myself. I put 100 miles on it last weekend, 60 miles on Saturday and 40 on Sunday. Rides great and comfortable. Aluminum is perfectly fine and a great value.

Having said that, I would definitely consider Canyon. They're a tremendous value.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 08-30-20, 04:44 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I have the Cannondale Synapse 105 and love it. I probably put on about a thousand miles to date and havenhave had any problems. My previous bike had hydraulic disc brakes,t bike does not but I have not noticed a difference in braking capabilities.
Old 08-30-20, 06:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Looks amazing.

5'11 1/2" - basically 6'. 34.5" inseam. Canyon wanted me to buy a Medium.

But I spent several evenings, carefully measuring my 3 current bikes, and poring over the geometry tables on the Canyon site, and concluded that it would be a lot easier to replicate the comfortable fit I have on those bikes if I bought a Large. I'd have had to put a 130mm stem on the medium, which comes with a 100. Set up as you see it, the Large is nice and comfy for at least 3 1/2 hours, climbing, descending, pounding along the flats in the drops into a stiff headwind, and just tooling around.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-30-20, 08:47 PM
Buddy of KS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buddy of KS
What are you riding now?
Not trying to hijack, but I'm also looking to upgrade my current Fuji Sportif to a new endurance model that has a geometry on the more aggressive side of Endurance. My budget is $2 and my short list is as follows:

- Cannondale CAAD13 - 105 Disc (w/Possible Cassette change to 11-32)

- Trek Emonda ALR 5 (w/Tire change to 28mm & Cassette change to 11-30 or 11-32)

- Canyon AL 7 Disc

- Scott Addict 20 Disc

- Rose Pro SL Disc 105

Perhaps we can both benefit from the feedback you're getting...
Old 09-07-20, 01:34 PM
jlmg

Bikes: Giant Contend AR1, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWW I bought the Giant Contend AR1 back on June. Great bike and ticks all the boxes. Hydraulic disk brakes, Shimano 105 all around. The D-post seat is very confortable, it gives a lot on rough roads. It comes with tubeless tires and they are confortable. In my limited opinion, a great bike that i would buy again.
Likes For jlmg:
Old 09-07-20, 04:44 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If one of the reasons you're considering an Endurance bike is back comfort, it might be worth considering a carbon frame. I'm an older rider with lower-back "issues", and my happiness with my aluminum Trek (carbon fork, rear IsoSpeed) was limited. I ended up going full carbon (also a Trek) less than two years later. MUCH BETTER.
If your back is still fine and healthy, please ignore.

I know this is a very difficult time to buy a new bike, so good hunting and hope you find one that you love!
Old 09-07-20, 05:24 PM
vascof1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmoose
If one of the reasons you're considering an Endurance bike is back comfort, it might be worth considering a carbon frame. I'm an older rider with lower-back "issues", and my happiness with my aluminum Trek (carbon fork, rear IsoSpeed) was limited. I ended up going full carbon (also a Trek) less than two years later. MUCH BETTER.
If your back is still fine and healthy, please ignore.

I know this is a very difficult time to buy a new bike, so good hunting and hope you find one that you love!
Appreciate the insights. My back is ok at the moment. I know does a great job with their isospeed.
Old 09-07-20, 05:25 PM
vascof1

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmg
FWW I bought the Giant Contend AR1 back on June. Great bike and ticks all the boxes. Hydraulic disk brakes, Shimano 105 all around. The D-post seat is very confortable, it gives a lot on rough roads. It comes with tubeless tires and they are confortable. In my limited opinion, a great bike that i would buy again.
thanks. How are the tires and wheel combo? I hear they’re a tad heavy but not sure if that’s just those being picky about them
Old 09-07-20, 07:35 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Specialized Roubaix
Old 09-08-20, 12:10 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,815 Posts
Appreciate the insights. My back is ok at the moment. I know does a great job with their isospeed.
If your back is OK, then why do you think you want an endurance frame? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but if you are young enough and flexible enough, you might find the race geometry more exciting. I'm not young, but some years ago when i was shopping for my first high end road bike, I thought I should get an endurance frame because that's the kind of rider I thought I was going to be in late middle age (though admittedly, I had already been riding a race frame for a while). I test rode Roubaixs and Felt Z series, but then also test rode a race frame bike. The endurance frames were, to me, boring and flat in comparison. That's when I bought the Felt F3 and I've never loved a bike more.

In other words, maybe you should test ride a race framed bike? Who knows what you'll think.
They are not just for racing and if they fit you right and if you have the flexibility and fitness, they are perfectly comfortable for centuries and more.

Either way, for an introduction to modern road bikes, I think an alloy framed 105 bike is the perfect place to start. If you get a lot more serious, you'll buy a better bike soon, but you'll still appreciate having the alloy/105 bike in your stable. Mine is 10 years old with >30k miles on it and I still get use out of it.

Last edited by MinnMan; 09-08-20 at 12:14 AM.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-08-20, 08:12 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Giant Defy. Best bang for the buck!

The 2020 Advanced 3 (CF frame & fork) is 2500$ I believe. They often go on sale for 20% off. You would get Tiagra instead of 105, but for a CF frame instead of alloy, I'd definitively skip on the 105.

Last edited by eduskator; 09-08-20 at 08:15 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 09-08-20, 11:35 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Giant Defy. Best bang for the buck!

The 2020 Advanced 3 (CF frame & fork) is 2500$ I believe. They often go on sale for 20% off. You would get Tiagra instead of 105, but for a CF frame instead of alloy, I'd definitively skip on the 105.
The Defy Advanced 2 is the $2500 model with 105 with CF frame. I love mine.
Likes For ririder:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.