Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Idaho stop

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Idaho stop

Old 01-16-21, 04:52 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Eh well, no big deal. A sizeable minority of non-cycling motorists don't know it's legal for a cyclist to ride on the streets and roads.
Or indeed prohibited in some areas for them to do otherwise...

Of course, the first time some cyclist misjudges it and gets creamed, the public will be up in arms to repeal it, anyway...

Originally Posted by Korina
Niceholes. Cyclists would know that you were trying to follow the rules of the road and taken their turn. I stop and wave them through because of Rule 1: Never trust a cager.
Or, at the very least, let's all follow the rules of the road because next time they do it, it might not actually be safe (whether it confuses someone, isn't actually clear for the cyclist to cross, etc.), so I'd rather not encourage them. I feel the same way when I'm walking, about cars who think they're being "nice" by stopping and waving me across while I'm waiting. No, I wait for traffic to clear before I cross. I expect that because it's been drummed into my head since I was a little kid that that's the way it works. (Plus, it takes forever with you slowing, stopping, I look at you confusedly, you wave me across, maybe now traffic in the other lane has to figure out what's going on and stop... had you just kept going past, I would've been able to cross a lot sooner...)

Originally Posted by Helldorado
Agreed. I never take advantage of a "nice" driver waving me through an intersection when it's really their right-of-way. Eventually some impatient driver right behind them will get exasperated and zip around them and hit me in the side. So I just stand there and wave them through as politely as possible.
Precisely. Or someone in another lane.

Last edited by Kat12; 01-16-21 at 08:41 PM.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 01-16-21, 05:38 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Kat12 , ever notice that when a bunch of cars is passing, it's always the last one that stops? Never mind there's no one behind them and it would actually be faster for all concerned if they'd just kept going.
Old 01-16-21, 08:40 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Kat12 , ever notice that when a bunch of cars is passing, it's always the last one that stops? Never mind there's no one behind them and it would actually be faster for all concerned if they'd just kept going.
Oh, for me it's usually the first one, and then everyone else piles up behind them, probably glaring daggers at me...
Likes For Kat12: