Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Last Ride

Old 02-11-21, 06:32 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Yup! He’s a happy guy alright. I mean who wouldn’t be? Great ending or beginning depending on how you look at it. I kind of have an east coast buddy after buying mine. I know my joy of riding the bike he sold me makes him feel good. We exchange riding pics between coastlines and it all happened around a bike and a new owner like your old bike and new friend . Good to see , thanks for sharing.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-11-21, 07:25 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Me, too - in fact, during our ride we discussed routes we ride; he's only been here for a couple years. From Eugene, but was in the Bay Area for a long time before moving out here.

And I think I'm going to try to get out one more time this afternoon before the snow flies

DD
Was out there from around 2 to 4 PM and notice below when got into garage. Nice ride, but got a bit wet coming back.
Likes For phtomita:
Old 02-12-21, 01:25 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
old ('73) and new ('83)...So, I still have a cool Colnago, just 10 years newer.DD
What made you want to keep the new over the old Colnago?
Likes For romperrr:
Old 02-12-21, 01:44 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by romperrr
What made you want to keep the new over the old Colnago?
In a word: fit. The newer Colnago Mexico is a 57cm frame and is pretty much my sweet spot. Back when I was more flexible than today I could ride a 55cm frame all day comfortably - even as recently as 5 years ago. Not anymore.

But, hey, other's have got it much worse and have had to alter their setups more than I.

DD
Old 02-12-21, 01:57 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by fender1
Great Story, great pics and great outcome!! Feel good story of 2021!
Thanks! You know, the more I think about the way the whole deal went down - and I mean from first meeting him when dealing with the Somec a few weeks ago now - it is pretty cool. The bike stays local, which is where I got it and had it refinished. Jon was just down the road in Oregon and I did my work on the parts here in WA. Best of all, since I have a two-year commitment to stay in WA I can serve as the bike's de-facto 'master mechanic' and help him get a feel for maintaining it. He's already thinking of a spare bar/stem/lever combo in a bit shorter stem/wider bar for use while retaining the complete original setup for show. Seriously, the bike is in very, very good hands

It's a little early into 2021, but for me, heck yeah, it's warm-fuzzy inducing. Much better experience than the dude who bought my Olympia, then took it apart and sold it piece by piece on Ebay the following day!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-12-21, 08:15 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Okay, thanks to everyone for your feedback and comments. I'd like to wrap up this thread by noting that I'm sure selling this bike in the way I did disappointed a few people on the Forum, but in the end my approach did win the day. The bike was delivered to an enthusiastic new owner and I never had to worry about the possibility of something happening to it on the way from me to him.

While I was willing to personally deliver on the west coast when I head down to Phoenix in a couple weeks, that would've only worked out had I gotten an offer during the short time the ad was up on my FSOT thread. Alas, the new owner came along and committed before anybody contacted me about that ad (the thread was deleted shortly after I updated it as "sold" - I might add this was not done at my request). And that's the rest of the story.

These wonderful two-wheeled conveyances! They come, they grace our lives - and sometimes they move on. Sometimes they move on to people we know, sometimes to people we don't know - and sometimes to people we're gonna get to know. In the case of the Colnago Super, option number three applies.

Enjoy the ride, folks

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 02-12-21 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-13-21, 01:23 AM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 117 Posts
And the nice fit

And here he is on his first real ride on the bike in question; look at that smile: And the nice fit.

He's just like us. Has 9 bikes, a few more frames (he purchased the Somec from me 2 weeks ago); mid-80s Pinarello, a couple Nobilettes, modern S-Works, a full-suspension mountain bike, a Riv Homer Hilsen - and, of course, now a 1973 Colnago Super.

Not only that, but we've exchanged contact info and he doesn't live far from me at all. Guess who's been added to my local riding buddy list?

What a nice day
The smile and the fit are great.
Enjoy
Perhaps a pair of orange gloves are coming to your residence.

Last edited by bironi; 02-13-21 at 01:24 AM. Reason: a slight change of wording
Likes For bironi:
Old 02-13-21, 08:53 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I recall this was the well done but interaction fraught respray by Cyclart
Old 02-13-21, 01:24 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by repechage
I recall this was the well done but interaction fraught respray by Cyclart
I believe the one you're thinking of is the restoration by shnibop . Interestingly, he sold his a few years after completion - then bought it back 4 years later!

The subject frame/fork was restored at Elliott Bay Bicycles in 2009.

DD
Old 02-14-21, 05:14 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I believe the one you're thinking of is the restoration by shnibop . Interestingly, he sold his a few years after completion - then bought it back 4 years later!

DD
I recall that nightmare for him, he sold it and may have repurchased it later?

I do recall you had one repainted by Elliot Bay.
I am pretty sure the fellow I sold a Masi to decades ago had them respray his after an arson fire damaged the paint by the melting plastic!

the paint on your sold machine looks very nice.

I have some that need painting... one is a tough decision- only the top tube needs it.
a Medici even, I might attempt to go to the auto paint store and match it, then spray a pump and see how close I can achieve.
if on target, repaint just that tube.

another... probably match and paint a loose tube, then the Fork and the offending tubes if good. Then I have others... they really pile up.
one is a total paint wreck of a Gios, I guess why I purchased it cheap. That one I am building up now and will evaluate how I like it.
Old 02-14-21, 05:21 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Was that basically Davidson's shop, or was there another piece to Elliott Bay that did those kinds of things?
Old 02-14-21, 06:41 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Was that basically Davidson's shop, or was there another piece to Elliott Bay that did those kinds of things?
Yes, behind the retail/display part of the shop downtown. Both the metal work and paint were done back in the catacombs. Here's a shot of it in the frame building area after the first media blast (you can still make out some remnants of the Molteni orange paint on the upper head lug):

Of course, all these and more pics are in the Flickr album: 1973 Colnago Super

DD